Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Revival of the Wind

Chapter 2: Hope

by nicoleintechnicolor 1 review

Hope retells some of her story to her new mentor and his wife.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Characters: Aang,Katara - Published: 2010-06-29 - Updated: 2010-06-29 - 862 words

0Unrated
Chapter 2: Hope

After Hope's confession to the avatar and family, Katara put her baby back to bed and made tea for her guest. They sat huddle by the fire and dived straight into the conversation.

"So, your an air bender? Are you sure about this?", Aang asked excitedly. Katara sighed in his direction and said "Why would she travel the world and lumber through the blizzard here if she wasn't sure?" Aang opened his mouth to cut in when he was interrupted by the younger woman's voice.

"Well, as you know my parents traveled from a little coastal village at the edge of the Earth Kingdom, far from any air temple. My mother gave birth to me, with your help Miss Katara, on the outskirts of the outer wall of Ba Seng Se and then traveled into the city. I was born with dark eyes, you may remember, but by the time I had turned three they had transformed into the startling grey ones. By age five I was showing signs of being a bender, and when I turned ten I realized what element I was bending." , she finished.

The avatar grinned excitedly, all hints of sleepiness gone. "My mother told me that the first night she slept in Ba Seng Se she had a dream. She dreamed about the Air Nomads, and in her dreams she saw a young woman flying around using her air bending. My mother said the woman looked right at her dream self and smiled. Then she woke up.", Hope said, with a sparkle in her grey eyes.

"First of all, call me Katara, second this is so great Aang! You've been slacking on recreating the air-nomads. Now you can!", the water bender said with a hint of excitement circling her words.

"Avatar Aang, on my journey to find you, I found other children around my age whose villages you visited before they were born. They can air bend as well.", Hope rushed.

Both hostess and hosts' jaws dropped at the news, and Aang jumped up and started pacing around the room. "This is great news! I must find them and teach them the ways of my people! Oh spirits, this is just wonderful news!", the avatar could not contain his excitement.

For the first time in years, he created his favorite air scooter and flew around room. The young girl jumped up and asked how to one goes about making an air scooter.

"Now now, my husband can finally help you master your element in the morning, when my little baby isn't trying to sleep", hushed Katara, "Hope, you will stay with us until we can depart. I'll make a bed for you by the fireplace."

Hope bowed and picked up her bag, the only thing she owned. Katara had disappeared, but could be heard in a separate room fetching a bedroll.

Hope watched her new mentor from the corner of her eye as he moved the furniture around, pulling and pushing and bending where needed. She noticed how strong he was for such a lanky man.

When he was finished he glanced at Hope who quickly looked away. He chuckled, a laugh that sounded so ancient yet joyful to Hope's ears. Then Katara came in and began setting the blankets down.

"Let me help you", offered Hope, but Katara just laughed and shook her head. "You are weary from your journey, it doesn't take much effort for me to lay down some bed things."

When everything was set, the older couple said goodnight to their guest and left.
Hope sat down in her new bed, and smiled to herself. It had been a year and two months of traveling and searching. Evidently, the avatar was pretty bent on keeping his family safe.

She sighed into the comfort of the warm blankets as she remembered how unsure she was when she left Ba Seng Se and her family. Hope could hear the avatar and his wife breathing, the soft rhythm of sleep resounding through the little home. Soon she rested her head amongst the pillows and fell into a deep sleep, where she dreamed.

Hope was somewhere in her dreams, and when she looked around, concluded she was in an Air Temple. She was surrounded by six old men, all whom were bald and sported the blue arrows like the avatar, and two women, who had hair pulled back for their own arrows. One woman was very old, with sunken eyes and a serious face. The other was younger than the rest, and looked kind. She had a panicked look on her face and an anxious voice. They seemed to be arguing, and Hope tried to listen.
She heard snippets of the conversation, "leave", "unsafe", "Fire nation", and "children." Hope kept seeing the elder monks shaking their heads, as if in disbelief, and the older woman saying no. Then all of the old monks stood up and left, and the young woman fell to her knees and cried into her hands. Hope tried to reach out to the woman, but when she did, the Air nomad looked at her with sad eyes. Then Hope woke up.
Sign up to rate and review this story