Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Danse Magique

by wordhammer 1 review

The Yule Ball, like any party, can get a little strange.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Fleur,Neville,Professor McGonagall - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2010-07-03 - Updated: 2010-07-03 - 16320 words - Complete

1Boring
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.

Author's Note: This took awhile, and is once again quite large. I'm finding it hard to pin down, but there's something off about this chapter. Maybe because almost nothing happens, despite plenty of relevant moments occurring. Either that or its sheer girliness
makes it an ill-fit for Holly's normal life. If you can figure it out, let me know by PM
or Review. (No really. This isn't just a ploy to get reviews...)

Note: updated on Ficwad to correct formatting for readability

Holly Evans and the Spiral Path
Chapter 44
: Danse Magique

Catching up with Mum

22nd December, 1994


Professor McGonagall opens the door to her office, allowing entry for her godchild.

"Hello, Professor," Holly says as she walks in and sits down in a chair.

The professor squints for a moment before walking back behind her desk, fixing her guest with a critical eye as she sits down as well.

"Miss Tonks, when I ask Holly to come to my office, I expect HOLLY to come to my office!"

'Holly' blushes and smiles weakly, her eyes shifting to purple for a moment. "We know, but you asked me at lunch when I was her so you got me now as well."

"And where is Holly?"

"In Hogsmeade, buying a dress for the Ball."

"Now?! Why now?"

"Because I reminded her that going in denims and a pullover wouldn't reflect too well on you. She's been a bit occupied, what with carving up dragon parts and corrupting young women and such..."

"Never a rest for a dark lady on the rise?"

"Yeh about that; we're thinking of encouraging the press to call her the Unholy Evans- 'Dark Lady' seems like a bad sequel to Riddle's time. Or worse, that she's gonna rule by his side or something."

"Bring her here the moment she returns to the castle."

"Umm, I don't work for you..."

"MISS TONKS--!"

"Alright! No worries- I'll let her know where to expect tea time to be spent."

The witches are interrupted by a knock at the door which Professor McGonagall answers after a moment's silent caution to Holly-Tonks. The door opens and a second Holly enters the room, prompting Tonks to revert to her normal appearance and a teaching outfit of purple work robes with a matching hat.

"Hello. I apologise for the delay."

Natalia looks at her friend with a momentary confusion. "Hols, weren't you just, as in seconds-ago, in Hogsmeade?"

"I still am. When you find me later and I say 'Aren't you supposed to me right now?', it'll be simpler to say 'Minerva's pissed.' Anyway, Padma and I Turned back special so Mum could yell at me."

Professor McGonagall sits back down at her desk. "Holly... one moment. I apologise, Miss Tonks. Please pardon us. I don't believe you need to linger any longer."

"That's a polite way of saying 'get out', right? Right." Natalia stands up and gives Holly's shoulder a squeeze before leaving the office, closing the door behind her.

Holly steps forward and sits in the chair across from her godmother. Her expression is calm, if a bit sad.

Professor McGonagall stares back for a moment before starting the conversation, "Well?"

"Well what, Mum?"

"What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I think you'll like my dress. It's this layered black lace thing--"

"Holly, you know I was referring to your recent enslavement of MISS GRANGER!"

Holly tightens her lips into a doubtful scrunch, glaring back at Professor McGonagall. The dark-haired professor recovers her calm before continuing.

"I spoke with Miss Granger this morning, as you may know. She was decidedly evasive about the entire experience."

"Did she say she regretted it?"

"No, but--"

"End of argument."

"No it is not! I will not have you binding the souls of these students! They are not of age, nor are they prepared to handle the burdens you intend to lay upon them! If I am at all responsible for your ethical development and welfare, then you must stop this insanity now! You will not enact any more magical rituals, oaths or vows without my prior and explicit consent. Is that clear?"

"Absolutely. You're fired."

"What?!"

"Padma pointed this out to me. Though I'm unsure how the Ministry would assess me, you could say that my soul, or rather this instance of its run-through on Earth, is actually like forty years old. Lily was born in 1960, I've lived at accelerated time for several years of my life, and now, despite my charmingly youthful appearance, I operate with the maturity of having twice lived to adulthood. Even if you split the difference from memory loss I'm still emotionally thirty or so. You don't need to worry. You can't possibly be held accountable for my actions."

"I AM accountable, by my own vow and intentions! I do not relinquish the responsibility for guiding you in this life, nor will I give it up upon your recognition as an adult witch. You will have to listen to me until I am dead! Be aware; unless I break a trust between us, killing me would do you great harm through the power of our oath as godparent and child."

Holly sits back, becoming teary.

"You... you think I'd kill you to shut you UP?!"

"I am being prudent in not assuming anything about your potential actions. You have proven capable of nearly anything. How am I to guide you, if you always act before I'm given the opportunity to provide input?"

"Well if I asked you first, half this stuff wouldn't get done!"

"EXACTLY!"

"I... oh." Holly sits back, thoughtful in her consternation.

"Have you plans for any other activities that you have purposefully avoided mentioning, knowing that I will disapprove?"

"Umm, yes. Quite a few, in fact."

"And if your own conscience has the good sense to know I won't approve, why then do you continue without my advice?"

Holly just bows her head.

Professor McGonagall stares at her for a minute, then asks a pointed question. "Miss Evans, what do you have planned?"

"I was planning on leaving after the ball with Hermione and Natalia, to spend the rest of the holidays at the Madhouse with Padfoot and Moony."

"They're in England?"

"Not yet. They're coming up on Boxing Day via... y'know... Buckbeak Express."

Professor McGonagall relaxes a bit, giving Holly's humbled look a suspicious glare. "I actually believe that this is a wonderful idea. I wouldn't mind an invitation for a late Yule gathering myself. Why would you assume I wouldn't approve of this?"

"It's against the rules and takes us all out of Hogwarts' protection."

"Holly, there are many hats that I wear on a daily basis, and in fact I am forced to wear more of them whenever you and I speak together. Being the Deputy Headmistress isn't usually one that matters. When we talk, I am your godmother, first. Your godmother thinks that you should slip past that wrinkled old rule-monger the Deputy Headmistress and enjoy some time with your family."

Holly looks up at Professor McGonagall with appreciation and shares a smile.

"I will make arrangements to excuse your absence until the younger students' return on January 2nd. And I will see you for dinner that first evening, so plan accordingly. I think that evening may also be a better time for us all to discuss what it is you intend to do in your current situation. Certainly, all present should be kept informed of your plans?"

"Yes, Mum. That sounds like a spectacular idea."

"Good. Tell me, are there any other questionable acts you have been planning that cannot be delayed until after that meeting?"

"Not really. I intend to have a good time at the Ball like any other girl. Magic and mayhem should make very little appearance that evening, aside from the dressing up and such. I'll leave Neville's clothes where they belong."

Holly's tease is met with a frown. Holly bows her head again and Professor McGonagall continues speaking in a tensely polite, clipped fashion.

"Well. How considerate of you. I am still very concerned by these recent actions of yours, and I intend to confront both you and Miss Granger about your choices in these matters. If the Marking can be reversed, I suggest that you bring your notes on the process."

"Yes, Mum."

"Have you Marked Miss Patil?"

"No. I don't believe she wishes to be involved in any way beyond the opportunity to research advanced magic- y'know; necessity being the mother of invention. My life brings about some interesting research opportunities."

"Perhaps so, but just because you can do a thing does not mean that you should do it."

"Yes, Mum. We know. Padma's mostly focused on the how. She leaves the why to me, and keeps her distance otherwise."

"I see. Well, since you're here, perhaps we should dine together."

"That would be great, Mum. Oi, Winky!"

The bulb-nosed elf appears with a 'pop'.

"Can you bring us supper, tea, cakes and some diced fruit? Oh, and antipasto. Also those flaky biscuits and maybe that apple crumble."

"Yes'm. Would the Professor want some of that?"

Holly glares at the elf, noting that her lips are barely turned up at the edge. "Yes, you silly moppet, and don't forego the plates in your cheek, either!"

Winky bows to each woman and disappears.

"Is Winky usually expecting to deliver a large repast for you?"

"No, Mum. She knows my habits though, and seems to predict when more or less food is needed. For sure, arguing with you really works up my appetite."

"And why is that?"

"Well I have to release that tension somewhere and I can't... umm..."

"Ah. Arguing with your contemporaries doesn't make you hungry."

"Sure it does, just not usually for food."

~o~

Hey, Newt. We were both there for the conversation. Why transcribe it?

Proof that Grandmum gave you permission to leave the castle.

I love you too, little squirt.

And I love my waterwheel machine- it's like a habitrail for me!

That was the idea. What do you want for Christmas?

Siblings.

It's a bit short notice, sweetie. Anyway you're getting a chemistry set. Hermione picked it out.

Squeee!

~Newt~

*

The Tale of Deputies


Grandmum Minerva- Holly circulated this to the folks mentioned within. If you end up having to apply discipline to any of them for their efforts, Holly would prefer it if you hold her accountable as well.

(Also, thank you for the bottle of hard cider for my birthday. It was delicious, and made riding the watermill extra fun!)


To: the addressees
From: Holly
Subject: Safety, Decency, and limiting Chaos

This is not a prank.

Okay, having written that, it seems like an obvious prank lead-in, but I am completely humourless in what I'm asking of you.

Since the end of classes, everyone has been left entirely too idle with nothing else planned by the adults to occupy them. I think that it is due to this idleness that I have now had to disrupt three rape attempts on students, with involvement from all three schools in one way or another. There's plenty of consensual sex going on, but you can usually tell it's not cricket when the girl is outnumbered. My point is this: I won't always be there. You are being given this letter because I trust you to take up this challenge, and because you have the resources necessary to act in defense of those who may need it.

Padma and the Weasley twins will need to take on the detection duties, as they have the tools to properly monitor the castle. Miles, Dahlia, Erin, Cedric, Ginny & Ron: your job is to take action if one of the monitor teams tells you of an incident through this parchment (it will fold into an origami bird and caw if there's an incident occurring- details will appear on the back). Alert a prefect or professor if they're close, otherwise it'll have to be your personal involvement. Luna will be there to let you into the Ravenclaw tower if the incident is within, but I'm hoping that their now-deaf fifth year prefect and his mate with the compound leg fractures will have created enough of an impression to be a deterrent. Ginny- if you could spend some time with Vicky Frobisher teaching her the important spells, she might recover a bit of confidence.Lee, you and the twins have permission to use the Wireless broadcast to alert everyone over the airwaves if you know something bad is being done and no one is close enough to act on it.

This is an unsanctioned effort, but you don't need to keep it a secret. It would be better to have people know that a group of disparate students is willing to take action, even in defiance of the rules. If you find you need to bulk up your numbers, grab some of the firsties- most of the ones still at the castle are in the RE-class (being orphans and all), so they're trained to stick together and help. Most know a few interesting hexes as well. If anything you'll need to restrain them as they are all on a quest to prove themselves.

I have a standing bet with Madame Pomfrey about how many assaults and pregnancies she'll have to handle by February 1st. I chose the higher numbers; I don't want to win this bet.

Holly

P.S.: If you're looking for a motivation for your participation in this voluntary effort, keep in mind I'll owe you a favour. Let me add that if I find out you knew of an assault and didn't take action, I will be angry.

I wasn't angry at the dragon.


Quite the motivational speaker, is my Mum.

~Newt~


*

Holly,

Why do you feel it is necessary to physically assault and potentially maim these transgressors instead of simply stopping the attack? It is surely out of fear from a reprisal that they will not name you as their attacker, but there is little doubt as to the source of their injuries.

Minerva

*

Mum,

You pretty much answered your own question, though I'll add that there's no way to perform a Prior Incantato on my hands and feet. As for the reasoning, I want them to remember with pain why their choice was a bad idea, and I have Madame Pomfrey's cooperation in not giving these particular patients any pain care. Also, isn't it supposed to be against the rules to use magic outside the classroom?

Holly

*

A Tale of Pest Control

Christmas Day 1994, around 3 PM.

Holly is returning from meeting with Padma when Slytherin firstie Casey Hartfield runs up to her breathlessly. Holly catches the near-collapsing girl and moves to the side of the corridor so that she can prop herself up along the wall.

"Get your breath, then give me the shortest possible explanation of what's wrong."

"(Gasp!) (Gasp!)... Ministry... (Gasp!) (Gasp!)... in your dorm room... (Gasp!) (Gasp!)"

"Get Professor McGonagall from her office, tell her what you know. Don't guess at anything."

The young girl clutches at her side but nods in agreement. Holly gives her a quick hug and says 'Thank you so much!' before getting up to run off to the dungeons.

Holly stops short of entering the Slytherin dorm, taking a moment to check the Map and catch her breath. The display shows students crowded near the entrance to the mid-tier girls' corridor; Professors Snape and Garvin stand outside her room next to Art Uppershilts, John Gullywug and Mr. Filch, who all seem to be swaying somewhat; and two people are moving around in Holly's room, identified as Jim Dawlish and Dolores Umbridge.

Holly closes the Map, returning it to a robe pocket, and then calmly places her hand on the entrance stone, opening the door to the common room.

Pushing her way through the gleefully interested crowd, she approaches the entrance to her room just as Professor Snape liberates Mr. Filch from hanging upside down. The other two men, wearing Auror cloaks, are sprawled on the floor rubbing sore extremities they no doubt injured as they landed.

"Good afternoon, all. Is there a reason for this party, or did I win the random gathering lottery?"

Professor Garvin grins smugly as the sound of a wooden object breaking apart echoes from within Holly's room. Professor Snape turns away from helping Mr. Filch from the floor, squinting at his student.

"Representatives of the Ministry have come to investigate allegations that you are in possession of materials to illegally enhance your performance in the Tournament. Professor Garvin helpfully asked Mr. Filch to lead them here, and I was summoned when these gentlemen found themselves the victims of your protective runework. Is this entirely your own design?"

"I had helpful suggestions from my neighbors."

"Ten points each for Miss Davis and Miss Parkinson, then."

Holly steps between the assemblages to enter her room. The bookcases have been emptied onto the floor, the dresser looks to have vomited forth all Holly's clothing, the mattresses are overturned and the curtains around the bed torn down. Newt's model watermill and the Asian travel case have both been smashed apart. The two visitors are by the stove, the short woman directing the tall man in tearing apart the two sitting chairs.

Holly clears her throat to speak.

"(Ahem) Who are you and what do you want?"

Holly had already encountered Auror Dawlish the previous year, and his towering form looks no less powerful (or tired) than before. The other person turning to answer is a squat black-haired woman in a set of pink robes and wearing a pink cardigan. A black bow set at the top of her hair reminds one of a horsefly. Her wide face breaks into an impossibly-wide grin, making her expression seem like that of a beatific amphibian. The toad-person raises her fat fingers to brush back some errant locks and speaks.

"Ah! Miss Evans has arrived. How lovely. (giggle)"

"Yah, I'm here. What do you want, who are you, and why have you broken my belongings?"

"I am Senior Undersecretary Dolores Umbridge, dear child. Official business."

"Okay. What are you officially doing?"

"We are here to uncover how you cheated in the Tournament. Please step outside and stand next to the Aurors while we do our work. I am sure we shall be successful soon enough. (giggle!)"

A commotion can be heard out in the hall, and all three occupants in the room turn their attention to the doorway when the deep, kind-sounding voice of Albus Dumbledore echoes, "Would the students please return to your rooms? Also, I'd like to speak with our visitors out here in the corridor."

Holly leads Undersecretary Umbridge and Auror Dawlish out into the hallway, which is now occupied only by Professors and officials, including Professor McGonagall who is leaning against the doorframe to catch her breath. Once everyone is assembled, Undersecretary Umbridge thrusts a parchment towards the headmaster.

"This is a writ of investigation, Albus. It empowers me to seek out and find the illegal potion your student used in the Tournament last month. I assume everything is in order?"

Albus looks down at the parchment and frowns dramatically.

"Well I'm afraid everything is very much out of order, Madame Umbridge."

The squat woman pauses then giggles again. "How can you say that? You haven't even looked at the paper--"

"And that is the essence of our problem. Before you can execute such a writ, it must be presented and acknowledged by the Headmaster or Deputy Headmistress. Neither of us knew you were here."

Holly squints in thought while Madame Umbridge lightly blusters, "Why, I am sure it doesn't matter in which order it occurs; this is a perfectly legal document."

Holly smirks slightly. "May I read the writ?"

Madame Umbridge snaps her gaze at Holly, then slowly extends her arm to proffer the parchment in her direction. "Such is your right."

Holly takes the page and reads it, Professor McGonagall stepping up behind her to read over her shoulder. After a minute Minerva frowns and Holly smiles.

"I'm afraid this writ is meaningless."

"What? Don't be foolish, girl. You haven't the knowledge--"

"This writ is to follow up on allegations that I illegally used Felix Felicis in the Tournament and have a supply ready to continue to do so."

"Exactly. Now if you'll just--"

"It isn't illegal, nor do I have any."

"Of course it is!"

Albus rumbles a calming admonition towards the Undersecretary. "Now, Madame Umbridge, I believe Miss Evans should be allowed to speak."

Everyone suddenly draws silent. Holly shivers momentarily before continuing. "Believe me when I say that I have scoured the rules of the Tournament quite thoroughly, as I didn't want to compete in the first place. It's a very short booklet. All competitors must enter the designated area of play during competition time, bearing only the designated equipment and their clothing. Competitors aren't permitted to attack each other, or they will be disqualified. There's some language about gambling, but overall that's it."

"Are we to take the interpretation of the law by a schoolgirl? This is a Ministry matter."

Albus shakes his head. "That's the other problem. This tournament is being hosted by one school with invitations for two others. The foreign minister of the country of the hosting school is responsible for ensuring safe travel for the competitors and their supporters. This is an inter-school event, having no obligation to abide by any rules of the ICW's sports commission. If you had presented your writ to me or Professor McGonagall before entering Miss Evans' room, we would have explained that, sparing you a certain measure of embarrassment."

Madame Umbridge scoffs but Holly speaks again before she can interject.

"More than embarrassment. You've broken the law, along with my things. Professor Garvin, what punishment is appropriate for the invasion of a Lady's suite and damage of her property by common folk?"

"COMMON--!"

Albus' voice cuts through the growing tension once more. "Again, let us allow the truth to aid us. Would you please answer Miss Evans' question, Professor Garvin?"

A.P. Garvin responds, "IF she were a Lady of the House of Black, of pure blood and unquestionable standing, Miss Evans would be allowed to exact monetary and... other punishments by the code of low justice."

Holly stares fiercely at the Undersecretary. "Other punishments; you mean corporal punishments, don't you? I can have them flogged?"

"Yes. But only by an appropriately-designated representative of the House's justice."

"Unless I wanted to do it myself. The executor of retribution is only named when the nobleperson didn't wish to sully his or her hands with the duty themselves, as the high justice used to demand, right?"

"(Sigh) Yes."

"Headmaster, I'd like to have a flogging. Can we use the Great Hall?"

The Undersecretary blusters loudly, "This has gone far enough! I demand that this... witch be brought to justice and that her ill-gotten properties be seized by the Ministry!"

Albus turns from Madame Umbridge and gives Holly an apologetic frown... as well as a wink.

"Miss Evans, I'm afraid I cannot accommodate you for a public flogging, as the space is being remodeled for tonight's Yule Ball. You are welcome to use the arena if that would suit your purposes, but I insist that no announcements be made so as to prevent gawkers. It would be unseemly."

"WHAT?!"

"Lady Evans of the House of Black is fully within her rights to exact this punishment. You did not contact the Governors, myself or the Deputy Headmistress, and misrepresented your authority with our Professors in forcing entry to this room. Given that Lady Evans has no roommate, this space is also under the protection of the House of Black, making the defense of this space entirely legal... though I believe the school is meant to be informed in writing."

Professor Snape interjects. "I was not notified in writing of Miss Evans'... handiwork but was made aware of the precautions through traditional House communications. Ten points from Slytherin for neglecting to follow procedure, Evans."

"Of course, Professor. Please forgive the oversight."

Professor Garvin throws up his hands and stalks away down the corridor.

Holly steps forward to stand directly in front of Madame Umbridge. "I will do you a tremendous favour. I will accept your apology and even prove to you that you are looking for something that isn't there."

"If you can prove that, I won't have you cast in irons!"

Raising her wand, Holly stares into the eyes of the Ministry official as she intones a vow. "By my magic, I swear that I do not own or possess any luck-inducing potions, nor do I have any intention of using them in the Tournament's Tasks. Do you accept my vow?"

Madame Umbridge's expression wavers from glee to a sudden doubt. She draws her stout wand and slowly raises it until her positioning mirrors Holly's. "I accept your vow. So mote it be."

Blue magic snaps between the witches, leaving a smell of ozone in the room. Holly silently enacts a Lumos at the tip of her wand, and then cancels it with a mental 'Nox'.

Madame Umbridge turns away from Holly's gaze and looks at the floor while sheathing her wand in her sleeve. "I... apologise for my... error. Please send a detailed manifest of that which requires repair and I will see that you are compensated."

"Very well. I hope in the future that you remember this moment for my integrity, and my mercy."

The Undersecretary glares once at Holly before stepping over to speak briefly with the Aurors.

Holly smiles pleasantly. "I see no reason for everyone else to waste further thought on the matter. Lovely to meet you all, but I really must be getting dressed for the Ball."

Holly steps into her room. A long Latin phrase is heard, followed by a flash of green and orange and the sound of something smashing, only in reverse.

Holly pops her head back out into the hallway. "Madame Umbridge, you owe me for a travel case. Professor McGonagall bought me the case, so she'll know what it was worth."

Minerva turns to the short, stunned witch and drawls, "That would be two hundred and twenty galleons, Dolores."

Holly's eyebrows rise in surprise. "Really? Wow. I should have bought you the eighty-year-old Scotch."

~o~

Harry (in his dress robes) steps off the stairs down into the dungeons just as everyone else is heading for them to ascend. Professor McGonagall is half the hallway behind, admonishing the Aurors who all seem to be bowing their heads like guilty schoolchildren.

Albus tips his head, "Mister Potter."

Professor Snape growls, "Mister... POTter."

and Madame Umbridge stops, snapping out of a funk and thrusting her hand forward. "Oh! Mister Potter..."

Harry stops, looking between the adults for a moment. "Umm, hello. Too bad Professor Garvin already left- you could have made it a harmony." He then grasps Madame Umbridge's hand, bows and raises it to his lips in a show of decorum. "I'm sorry, I haven't had the pleasure. Who is this lady accompanying you, Professor Dumbledore?"

The headmaster chuckles discreetly while the Undersecretary is briefly taken by a fit of giggles.

"This would be Madame Undersecretary Dolores Umbridge, visiting in her capacity as assistant to Minister Fudge."

"Charmed, Madame Umbridge. I hate to greet and run, but I promised to help Holly prepare for the Ball. We're hoping to spruce her up into something presentable."

"Oh, call me Dolores, Mr. Potter. (giggle). And think nothing of it. Surely you have a challenge, so we won't keep you."

Harry smiles lightly, bows once more and then passes the entourage, heading towards the Slytherin dorms.

"Delightful young man. One wonders how the rest of the family could have gone so wrong."

Professor Snape bristles momentarily before offering an explanation. "No doubt his years in isolation protected him from worldly corruption. It is so... unfortunate that he couldn't have been kept there... forever."

~o~

Harry enters Holly's room, closing the door quietly behind him. Almost immediately he swells into a huge blob of himself, his magically auto-adjusting dress robes straining to encompass his sudden girth.

"Get me a bucket. I'm gonna throw up."

Holly pops her head around the door to her wardrobe, giving balloon-Harry a dismissive glare.

"You're a wizard at the moment- do it yourself. And why are you inflated?"

'Harry' returns to his normal proportions and smacks his forehead. "Ah. Remind me during our vacation to drag you out to the Python fest at that Bristol moviehouse. Your cultural education is falling sadly behind."

"Which one was that from?"

"Meaning of Life."

"They don't show that one on telly. Listen, I need you to really sink into the role tonight. We'll be under scrutiny by everyone, including the press. You've got to restrain your usual delightful bubbliness. It is most important that Harry's reputation for simple decency and politeness be maintained. Harry is quiet, reserved, and humble. Given his lack of exposure to the world up to this point, you might go for almost petrified from dealing with so many people at once."

"Well, I have to dance and I shouldn't be un-gallant."

"Yeah. Pay some nice attention to Ginny but don't lead her on. Just be... I dunno... brotherly."

Harry sits down on the edge of the bed, watching Holly as she removes the last of her daytime clothing and applies a mild all-body version of Scourgify to her skin. A cloud of white residue settles into a circle at her feet. Harry smiles slightly at Holly's resulting fresh-scrubbed body.

"You say that while stripping for me- it sends mixed signals. What sort of brother should I act like?"

Holly scowls at Harry, squinting for a moment (as she is without her glasses) to take in Harry's leer.

"The gay kind. I'm dead serious on this. You need to act completely juvenile... and I mean inexperienced!"

Winky appears with a pop, lifting the undamaged Asian travel case up onto the desk and then snapping her fingers, causing the broken one to vanish. The elf shakes her head at her mistress and pulls out a miniature dustpan to sweep up the dead skin on the rug.

Harry grumps while picking at a thread on the lapel of his dress robes. "So, why do you get to play, then?"

"Because I'm arguably sixteen and look this sexy. Muggle girls get up to six semi-formal dances to appear splendiferous and engage in mischief. I just want this one to be fun. Lammas sucked, but at least this time I'll have friends attending with me." Holly opens a small door on the side of the case and retrieves a set of black underthings. She sits across from Harry in the desk chair to carefully put them on.

Harry licks his lips discreetly. "S'pose it would be a bit of scandal if we were found out in a closet somewhere as well..."

Holly sighs. "Yes, me being arrested for incestuously corrupting the Boy-Who-Lived would definitely qualify as a failure to achieve the mission goals."

"Goals?"

"Priorities, then. In order they are: Leave without legal complications; Make Harry lookgood; Make Holly look delicious, if evil; Holly gets to have fun; Sow chaos, responsibly."

Holly stands up and grabs her layered black lace gown from out of the dresser. She shimmies into it until it settles into place comfortably. Pulling at a pair of interlaced red ribbons, the dress draws tight around Holly's waist and hugs the curves of her bosom and hips. Holly ties the ribbons into a decorative knot at her left hip and turns to face Harry for evaluation.

"How do I look?"

Harry gives Holly a smouldering up-and-down ogle.

"You look good enough to eat..."

Holly raises an eyebrow and thrusts up a hand to hold back any further commentary.

"We'll dance together once but otherwise you're to keep a three meter distance from me. All night, Tonks."

~o~

"Holly! I would like a word with you."

Holly stops her trek in Harry's company towards the Gryffindor dorms at the sound of her Godmother's vocal leash-jangling. She turns and flourishes her black lace gown, showing off her best attempt at grace while wearing three inch platform-style heels. Fabric covers her from neck to ankle and out to her fingertips due to dark red satin opera gloves that match the ribbons that tie the layers of lace tightly to her form.

"So? Am I presentable?"

Professor McGonagall walks up in her holiday green tartan, wearing a wide hat brimmed with a dangerously-sharp looking wreath of nettles around it. She gives Holly a once over.

"Yes, that's... quite fetching, actually."

Holly grumps, "Don't sound so shocked, Mum."

Minerva scowls. "And surprisingly unrevealing. But that's not why I was looking for you- I wanted to know how you escaped Madame Umbridge's inspection. I commend you in keeping your calm given how horrible that woman has acted. You certainly have her confused. But that vow--"

"Winky."

The elf pops into being between the two witches. Her tea-towel is now tinted deep green to celebrate the season, and she has a sprig of holly pinned to her lapel.

"Yes, Mistress?"

"Would you hand my godmum her present, seeing as she hasn't opened it yet from this morning?"

From out of some non-space the little being draws up a small wrapped box and presents it to the Professor.

Holly kisses Minerva's cheek and says "Happy Christmas, Mum."

Professor McGonagall reads the attached note:

'Mum,

Keep this close to your heart. If things look to get bad I want you to be lucky when it counts. The other sections have Blood Replenisher, Calming Draught, and Veritaserum (Snape-brewed; no doubt of much higher quality than that swill I was fed in the Headmaster's office last May).

Love,
Holly'


Within the small box is a round medallion containing four small glass ampoules, set to look like a pair of intertwined hour-glasses.

"I can vow that I don't own or have in my possession any luck-affecting potion because I don't. You do. And I don't want it back. Intention assumes future action. I don't intend to use it for the first Task as I already did. It's a fine hair to split, but obviously it worked. Please don't re-gift."

Minerva smiles at her God-daughter. "Thank you, Holly. This is even better than the Scotch, and you know what it takes for me to say such a thing." Her expression then reverts to her usual stern glare. "Now don't keep Mr. Longbottom waiting, and stay out of trouble."

"That's what I was trying to do!"

*

The Champions' initial dance card, for reference:

Fleur Delacour with Roger Davies
Cedric Diggory with Cho Chang
Holly Evans with Neville Longbottom
Ilya Izarek with Tracey Davis
Viktor Krum with Hermione Granger
Margaux Magritte with Justin Finch-Fletchley
Harry Potter with Ginevra (that's Ginny!) Weasley

Tales of the Last Minute Changes

Holly and Harry enter the Gryffindor dorm to find Hermione standing somewhat dazedly in the corner. She's dressed in a delightful periwinkle gown and her hair has been done up in a very regal knot with curls trailing attractively at her neckline.

Harry steps up to her. "Hermione, you look fantastic! Who did your hair?"

"Parvati and Lavender. They've left already to meet up with Terry and Anthony. They can't help."

Holly squints. "Help with what?"

Hermione points up the staircase, where some wailing and carrying-on can now be faintly heard. Holly directs Harry to wait on a sofa and grabs Hermione by the wrist, leading her up the staircase to investigate. They arrive up the stairs to find Ginny alone in her dorm wearing only her terrycloth housecoat, in a right state.

"Mum is trying to RUIN EVERYTHING!"

Holly smiles slightly. "Well, that's what mums do, Gin. What's the what?"

Ginny points forcefully at the dressbox on her bed.

Hermione steps over and lifts a white gown from within. It is a long straight garment with lace and pearl beads sewn into patterns. "I don't understand."

Holly looks at the dress curiously. "I admit it's a bit unusual for winter, but all-white isn't necessarily--"

"It's a WEDDING GOWN! The Weasley traditional dress, handed down through the family!"

Hermione and Holly look at each other and then utter a simultaneous. "Oh."

"I can't let Harry see me in this! He'll be mortified and I'll seem like some stalker and I won't get to dance and--" Ginny's hysteria reaches a peak, her rising voice moving into the inaudible supersonic range. Hermione takes her into a hug.

"There there. Holly will fix it. You'll see."

"Um, thanks for the faith, Hermione, but how-- ?"

"You know how."

Holly shakes her head a moment and then steps up to the upset redhead.

"Alright, Gin. I need you to put on this dress, and I'll use a rarely-mentioned skill of mine to get you looking smashing. Or at least less... matrimonial."

Ginny sniffs. "You can do that?"

"I used to sew my own clothes out of my cousin Dudley's worn-out pants. With magic I can probably make lint look good. Just don't tell anyone I did this. It'll ruin my image if people think my backup career is to become a seamstress."

Ginny coughs to interject. "Ehm, should you really be doing that with my family's heirloom?"

"If your mum wanted it kept safe, she sent it to the wrong castle. It's her own fault for putting you in this fix."

Ginny stares at Holly and then grabs the dress from out of the box. She gives Holly a slightly mad look and says, "Let's do this!"

~o~

Twenty minutes of snips and adjustments later Ginny walks around the room, her dress now cut low to emphasize her modest cleavage and the hem brought up to show her athletic calves. Extra fabric has been re-used to add a low sash to the ensemble.

"I also adjusted the cut so that you can move your legs easily. You'd think the original dress was designed to make sure the witch couldn't run away too quickly. Anyway with the low cut and high slit you might want to apply a Warming charm or two, at least until we start dancing."

Hermione pipes up, "You should tint the whole number royal blue, to bring out her eyes."

Holly turns to Ginny. "You have blue eyes?"

"Yes!"

"What? I'm not always thinking in terms of colours!" Holly sweeps her wand across Ginny's gown, causing the fabric to dye blue. The colours fade from a deep ocean at the hemline to turquoise for her sleeves.

Ginny looks over the ensemble once more with a glowing grin. She looks then at Holly and knots her brows in concern.

"Is that why your dress is black?"

"Partly. Also, this lace thing is magically layered."

Hermione adds another commentary, "You look like you're bound in licorice, Holly."

"...Or maybe wrapped in spider webs. It's... creepy."

Holly grins. "I know! Isn't it fab?"

Ginny stares at the bodice of the black dress a little more closely. "Holly... are you wearing any--?"

"TIME FOR PICTURES!" With a clap of her crimson gloves, Holly heads out of the dorm and down the staircase.

"She isn't, is she?"

Hermione stands next to Ginny, staring after their friend. "(Sigh) No. Let's not make a fuss, shall we?"

"Sure, but it should make for a fun game- keep watching the boys to see which ones are caught staring first."

~o~

Arriving down in the entrance hall, the champion couples are encouraged by Ludo Bagman to enter a side chamber for picture-taking. Looking around but not finding Neville, Holly turns around and steps out the front entrance of the castle and into the cool air of the wintery night.

She holds her hands close around her body, feeling a slight chill even through the heaviest layers of her gown. Her thoughts are interrupted a few minutes later when Neville walks up behind her to wrap his cloak around her shoulders.

"Oh! Why thank you, Neville. Where have you been, anyway?"

"Well, Fred and George--"

"How much did you drink?"

"One shot glass. Poured it myself. They're hinting that they'll prank me later somehow."

"Hmm. Neville, I'd like you to do something for me."

"O-okay."

Holly reaches down to the edge of the cobblestones and grabs seven rocks of disparate shapes and places them in Neville's hand.

"Hold the rocks in your hands, thinking about this Ball, this evening. When you feel the time is right, toss them into the air so they land in that snow there."

Neville nods, closing his eyes to concentrate. After several minutes he nods, tosses the rocks into the air and then looks around. Holly is nowhere to be seen.

"Holly?"

Looking down at the snow, he sees Newt scrawling a message into the snowbank- 'Holly should be back soon. Just wait.'

A minute later Holly throws a tall redhead out the front doorway and across the muddy cobblestones, sliding to a stop at Neville's feet.

"George, antidote. Now."

The mud-covered twin looks up sheepishly at his fellow Gryffindor, handing him a small piece of taffy. "Chew on this."

"And if I don't?"

"Well, you'd probably end up either in hospital with me or in bed with Holly, though I can't say which is more likely. Also, everything you drink will turn into liquor in your stomach."

Neville chews on the taffy. Holly glares once at George before walking over to look at the rocks in the snow. After tilting her head several ways, her shoulders slump. Holly then turns back to look at her fellow Marauders.

"I concede it was a masterful prank, but you couldn't have gotten Flitwick with this?"

"We tried- he's a wily one."

"Off with you then."

George quickly escapes while Holly turns back to Neville.

"Are you ready?"

"What did the rocks say?"

"We won't be sleeping together tonight, but our dancing will be flawless."

"I... I didn't mean... I wasn't intending..."

Holly quirks a smile up at her date. "Maybe you weren't, but I was sorta hopeful."

Neville squints at his date. "Holly, why do you tease me like this?"

"I'm not teasing, I'm flirting."

"What's the difference?"

"Flirting allows for the possibility of follow-through. Evidently not tonight, though."

"I... " Neville gulps. "I don't want to have a fling with you, Holly."

Holly looks at the ground before responding. "I'm afraid a fling is all that I have to offer, beyond friendship."

"Why? Because you... don't see me that way?"

"What way are you referring to?"

"Um... marry-able."

"Why would you want to marry me? I'm a lodestone for horrors."

"B-because I lo--"

Holly snaps her finger up against his lips. "Ahh! Hold the horses there, cavalier. You fancy me. You don't know me well enough to love me. What's more your view suggests marriage as a proper consequence of love, when it's a different thing entirely. Love leads to a lifetime of sharing trouble. Marriage leads to political alliances and dinner parties."

"Well, I fancy you."

"I know. I fancy you as well. Would you like to escort me into the painful spotlight of public frivolity?"

Neville's eyebrows raise in concern. "Ah. Shared trouble?"

"Uh huh. Our first adventure together. Don't talk to the reporters- they only hear the words they want to print."

"There are reporters here?"

"No, they're coming up in those carriages, I believe. Makes one wish for a rocket-launcher."

Neville turns to see two carriages threading their way up from Hogsmeade, intermittent flashes of wizarding cameras emanating from within the cabs.

"Even not knowing what a rockette-launcher is, that sounds like a good idea."

(Newt smudges away her writing and then jumps up to weave back into Holly's dress.)

~o~

The champions and their dates are lead into a photography space where coloured curtains provide an upbeat backdrop. Everyone is enjoying the relaxed atmosphere of the picture-taking with two exceptions- Hermione is acting somewhat distant and distracted, and Margaux Magritte progressively becomes more and more anxious. Her anxiety ramps up every time she and Holly lock gazes, until finally after a half-hour the French girl runs out of the room in a hysterical crying fit, followed by her school mate, Fleur.

Margaux's date, Justin Finch-Fletchley, storms up to Holly in his black and gold dress robes. "Just what have you done to her, you menace?"

Holly looks up at the young man, holding Neville back from stepping into a confrontation with an outstretched arm.

"I have done nothing to her, for which, if you ask her, she is eternally grateful. When you catch up with her you can tell her that I don't intend to do anything to her now, either. That and a few of the Headmaster's lemon candies should bring her back to the Ball. Anything else about this is a private matter between us."

"And what made her fear you so much she had to run away?"

"She's not afraid of me, per se. Miss Magritte has a guilty conscience."

Silence takes hold of the room, until a flashing bulb breaks the tense moment. Everyone turns to stare at the photographer who looks back with a smirk. "S'prolly the best shot of the evenin'."

Harry pipes up in discomfort, "Is anybody else here hungry?"

*

Tales of Other Dance Partners


During the banquet, Hermione continues to stare into space, only occasionally jolting out of her reveries to answer cordial questions with a short but polite answer.

Viktor's discomfort with her distraction increases over time, leading him to begin an extended discussion with his headmaster seated on the other side of him.

Finally Harry leans over, whispering to Hermione, "Y'know, you'd best get your head in the game or you'll lose Viktor's attention completely."

"Yes. That's what I'm hoping for. If you recall, I was going to attend with Harry."

"Aw, I didn't know you cared!"

"Yes, well I hadn't expected your participation. I thought Harry might be a second iteration using Padma's keepsake. Given the necessity of touching between dance partners, I should have anticipated this."

"So you're not happy to be not going with me because you forgot who I was?"

Hermione rolls her eyes. "At this point, I'm just trying to help Ginny. You and I have several conversations in our future, but I don't think this is the proper venue."

"You need to learn how to have more fun."

"Perhaps, but everyone is watching. I'd like to experiment with fun in a more casual setting, when I won't be critiqued by the world press." Hermione glares meaningfully at Harry.

"Ah. Good point. Still, you shouldn't look like an inferi doing calculus in her head."

"And how would you recommend that I do that, Mr. Potter?"

"Forget everything else in your future and just smile, Hermione. You look smashing. I guarantee that the more you smile, the more men will ask you to dance. Be here, in this moment. It'll be worth it, I promise."

Hermione smiles as she thinks through Harry's suggestion.

From across the table, Cedric Diggory turns from watching Cho talk to her friends, saying "Hermione, I hope you'll afford me an opportunity to dance. Um, if it's alright with you, Viktor."

Viktor looks up from his whispered conversation with his headmaster. "As the lady pleases."

Hermione smiles even wider at Viktor and then nods to Cedric, giving both the Hufflepuff and her date cause to reciprocate. Harry leans in to whisper in Hermione's ear, "Just like magic."

Ginny leans in to whisper to Harry as he leans back into his chair. "Is Hermione going to be alright?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"You like her, don't you?"

Harry turns to look at the young girl and gives her a sympathetic smile. "I do. Don't take it as an insult, though. You make a beautiful date and--"

"So you wouldn't mind if I wanted to dance with Viktor, right?"

"Umm, no. Be my guest. This was all arranged around me anyway. I hope--"

"Don't worry on it Harry. We're just friends, you and I." Ginny takes on a worldly tone. "I think as you grow older you might actually learn to like dances and girls and such. But don't rush to grow up."

Harry grins, painfully suppressing a guffaw. "(Snrk!) Mm-HMM! That's excellent advice."

~o~

Following the feast the Champions lead off the formal phase of the ball with much grace, pomp and poshness. True to Holly's prediction, she and Neville are flawless together, though not in an attention-getting fashion. They continue to dance as a pair through three numbers, but they are trumped from dancing a fourth when Neville is pranked by someone exploding a balloon of Stinksap over him. Holly glares at the twins who both look back in fear, emphatically disavowing their responsibility for the trap. Neville goes off to clean up the mess, telling Holly to stay and enjoy herself until his return.

A few minutes later, Draco Malfoy steps up to where Holly is leaning against a pillar, and extends his hand in invitation. "Evans, we should dance."

"I'd think you'd learned your lesson from last time."

"I'm willing to sustain a few toes being crushed tonight."

"Why? Ah- you need to be photographed with a champion but the Beauxbatons won't dance with you. You should channel a bit of Gryffindor and ask Harry."

Draco blushes.

Holly leans in to whisper, “You’d like that, wouldn't you? Sodomite."

"Burn in Hades, Evans."

"Eventually. Doesn't mean I'm wrong." Holly leans back and formally takes Draco's hand, much to his surprise.

The two move into the flow of dancers, quickly settling into a close but still formal distance. Draco continues the conversation once they are set in a rhythm.

"Some people choose not to flaunt their predilections to the public. Do you not realise that half the press characterizes you as a whore?"

"I don't read the Prophet. The Quibbler is funnier, and has puzzles."

"I'm not just talking about the Prophet; national and international outlets including the 'Voices of Wisdom' on the Wizarding Wireless portray you as a Dark Lady on the rise, using forbidden arts to control both Dumbledore and McGonagall. Rumour has it that anyone seen in your proximity has shared your bed, and rarely by their consent."

"This is quite a risk for you, then. Thanks for the warning."

"I don't do charity."

"And I don't need any more negative attention. What would you suggest?"

"An alliance. We could be seen together over the next term, while at the same time you... restrain yourself from your typical behavior. It will be portrayed as an enlightening of a lost soul. You would take your place in society, instead of being ground beneath its heel."

"I still have to compete in the Tournament."

Draco grumbles, "You shouldn't need to debase yourself in order to survive the competition. So long as you just limit yourself to simple and direct strategies, we can rebuild your reputation."

"This is unusually well-thought out. What brings it to mind?"

"Our... tastes run contrary to any desire for each other. We could forge a personal alliance and leave each other to follow our own interests while still supporting each other in the social arena. Such a partnership might be... unstoppable!"

"Your mum's idea, I'm thinking."

"Mother did provide some input, but the inspiration is mine. After years of keeping Pansy as a show dog and seeing Daphne primping to take the position, I tire of the dance. You have great potential, and as I said, we would never make each other uncomfortable with our dalliances. There is no real betrayal if we never intend to share a bed."

"Eventually the topic of children will come up."

"There are methods to bring that about which would not require us to perform unsavory acts together. Evans, even you should be able to see that this is a masterful strategy that gives us both the things we want. Consider the idea. We will speak again after the holiday break; send an owl in the meantime if you have questions."

"You really believe in this?"

"Yes."

The song concludes and the dance partners separate, with Draco giving Holly a deep bow.

Holly curtseys in return before responding, "I'll think about it, then. You've surprised me tonight, Draco. You should be proud of that."

Holly turns away to head towards the entrance, hoping to catch Neville as he returns.

Draco shoots a surly expression at her back before schooling himself and returning to Daphne's company.

~o~

Holly stands near the entrance to the Great Hall, watching the festivities while sipping from a flute of champagne. Out of the corner of her eye she catches sight of two short gentlemen in simple but clean dress robes sneaking around the other side of a pillar towards the entrance to the dance floor.

"John? Lloyd!"

The two firsties freeze in place, turning slowly to face Holly.

"Nice outfits but I don't think anyone's going to mistake you for Fourth year or some Beauxbatons' dates. Scram before you lose points!"

Both boys sag in defeat, turning to head back to the Slytherin dungeon with a mumbled,

"Yes, ma'am."

A tall, thin man wearing formal dress attire steps forward, having watched the scene during his approach from the Entrance Hall.

"Pardon me; I am late in arriving and therefore missed the introductions. What subject do you teach, Madame?"

Holly turns to acknowledge the handsome, dark-haired questioner, and smiles mildly before responding, "Remedial life-lessons, sex education and personal combat."

"Truly? I did not think that Hogwarts treated the subject of Duelling with respect."

"I don't teach students how to duel. I teach students what happens in a fight."

"How are your classes progressing?"

Holly grins a little more.

"I've moved past last year's 80% attrition rate. Last year I had one dead, three transfers and one brave survivor. No one has died yet this year, aside from a dragon. Things are looking up!"

"M-miss Evans-Black?"

"In the flesh. Though if you were intending on using the formal titles, I think it's 'Lady Evans of the House of Black.' My father is still trying to catch me up on my society protocols by correspondence. Would you like to dance? I'm told the view of the top of my head is enjoyable."

The tall, lithe man turns to look down towards Holly's welcoming smile, taking note of the short girl's curves and evident muscles, along with a few scars visible where her skin isn't covered by her dress.

"Normally it is the man that asks..."

"But we've moved beyond that. So where does that leave you?"

"I... I would be insulting you to decline."

"So..."

The man steps back, turns to Holly and tips into a flowing bow, offering his arm forward.

"I am João Luiz Garcia Vargas of the Brasilian Academy of the Arcane. Professor Vargas if you wish, or you may call me Jango if you feel I warrant that level of forgiveness for my stumbling tongue."

"What do you teach, Professor Vargas?"

"Duelling. And Dance."

Holly steps up and places a hand on his forearm, and they turn to enter the swirling motion of dancers.

"Se eu dança melhor do que eu falo Porteguese, por favor me chamam 'Azevinho'."
[If I dance better than I speak Portuguese, please call me Holly.]

"We shall see, Lady Evans."

~o~

The Ball begins to get a very excited feel to it once the reporters leave and the band shifts from dancehall music to songs from their own repertoire. Holly returns from a brief trip to the loo and stops to ask Minerva if Neville has yet returned. Professor McGonagall maneuvers behind Holly ostensibly to fix her god-daughter's coiffure- a quick glance at her Map indicates that the Gryffindor boy has returned to his dorm and seems to be pacing about quickly- an indication that the Stinksap removal was less than successful. Professor McGonagall steps away and sidelines Professor Flitwick to see if he can give Mr. Longbottom some assistance.

While McGonagall and Flitwick are distracted, Holly sees Luna standing out in the hall wearing a very pretty white and green dress, looking expectantly towards the dancing within.

"Luna? Did someone leave you out here, or were you not invited?"

"Oh, Holly. Hello. No, I was thinking of crashing the party but I didn't know what to break for a Yule Ball crashing."

"Well, you look like a girl who is dressed to dance, so I imagine you'll fit in without breaking much more than the rules."

"The rules! Oh, well that should be much quieter than a chandelier or someone's foot. May I break the rules with you?"

"I'll dance with you. Or I can get Harry to-- "

"No, Holly. I want to dance with you. We can dance out here if you'd rather."

Luna raises her arms in invitation and smiles at Holly. Holly smiles back and grabs one hand to lead the girl into the Great Hall. Luna resists with a vaguely panicked look for a moment, but Holly brings her to the very center of the room and stands in a welcoming invitation to waltz.

The Weird Sisters band ends their current song and rolls into the next number (serendipitously, it has a 3:4 meter) and Luna steps into Holly's arms as they begin a very fast waltz to the rocking tune. Other couples first are bumped and jostled out of the way of their rotating fervour, but other dancers join in and the center of the dance floor becomes a whirling floret of speed-waltzing. Holly and Luna in their contrasting black-with-red and white-with-green gowns become a Zen center of this graceful moment.

The song ends and everyone cheers except the two girls at the center who are smiling at each other while breathing heavily. After a minute, Holly yells an encouraging comment over the fading cheers of the crowd.

"I think that's the most exhausting fun I've had while wearing this much clothing!"

Luna replies while nodding.

"I orgasmed as well!"

Which incidentally carries across the dying shouts of the revellers as lead singer Myron Wagtail was about to be given enough quiet to announce their next number. It takes him a moment to gather his wits while the audience members all turn towards Luna and Holly.

Holly looks back out to the crowd's stares, smiles while holding Luna's hand and says, "Yes, citizens. I really am that good!"

Luna beams at Holly while swinging her body back and forth to make her dress skirt twirl.

Myron finally speaks to the crowd over the magical microphone.

"I dunno 'bout you lot, but I wanna party with those girls! Our next song is 'Chasing Dragons for Real'! HIT IT!"

A wail of tandem bagpipes initiates a riotous cheer of dancers as they recognise and begin bouncing to the tune. The renewed activity covers for Holly and Luna's escape from several professors threading through the crowd towards them with concerned expressions. They are nonetheless cornered at the exit by Professors McGonagall and Snape.

"Holly!"

"Yes, Mum?"

"That's Professor for the moment! Why were you dancing with Miss Lovegood?"

"Was that Luna? See, I thought I had just got tangled in some Yule decorations. At least until she started giggling--"

"Holly!"

"Professor-for-the-moment!"

"Holly!"

"God's sakes, Mum! It's a party and I wasn't even breaking laws. Don't you think I should be praised for the relative lack of chaos I've induced so far? Everyone's still clothed! Here, anyway."

"Holly!"

Holly leans closer to whisper to her godmother. "Check your Map if you doubt me, but it wouldn't be right to use it to ruin other people's fun."

Minerva's expression turns from angry to fatigued. "Holly..."

~o~

"Miss Lovegood, are you incapable of abiding by the simplest rules in this castle?"

"No Professor Snape, it is entirely an exercise of choice. Why, do I look possessed?"

The potions master sneers. "I doubt I could tell the difference."

"Well, that's good. Otherwise leaving Ginny that way for a whole year despite knowing she was possessed would have been just rude."

After a moment's pause, Professor Snape squints in annoyance. "Eh... Miss Lovegood, as you were not accompanied by an upperclassman, your presence here is inappropriate. Return to your dorm at once."

"Holly is upper class, Professor. I was sure you knew that already."

"Now! And twenty points from Ravenclaw for your gate-crashing."

~o~

Holly sees Luna being directed away from the party and jumps over to stand next to her.

"I'll escort Miss Lovegood safely back to her dorm, then!"

Both professors instantly shout, "NO!"

Holly and Luna both tilt their head and squint at the professors while expressing a moment of confusion. The Carrow sisters pass by the scene and offer a brief commentary.

"Not bad..."

"...for a first attempt."

Holly looks briefly and nods at her House mates as they pass and then turns back to address the discomforted professors.

"Umm, I'm just going to walk Luna back to the Ravenclaw common room to ensure her safety. I should be back in a half hour at most. And I feel I must add... nice trust in my ethics, there, O Heads of House. Please, let me know if there are any other unwritten, unspoken or unrealistic rules you'd like me to break without trying. We danced. We're girls. Everything done and intended is consensual. None of it will lead to legal complications. The worst result is us being embarrassed by the press and we've decided not to be bothered by it. Have a nice evening."

As Holly leads Luna away, she waves kindly at Professor Snape.

"Bye."

Minerva turns to Severus.

"She's in your House!"

"And she's your god-daughter. I would say your influence has had more time to take effect than mine."

Minerva's gaze narrows briefly. "Perhaps you should monitor the carriages out front to ensure our charges are keeping up propriety, Professor Snape."

Severus glowers. "As you command, Deputy Headmistress."

~o~

Luna strolls along next to Holly, both of her hands wrapped around her arm. They slow to pause a few paces from the entrance to the Ravenclaw tower. Luna turns to face her dance partner with a sublime smile. "Holly, I had a brief but wonderful time. Is there a reason you wanted to walk me home?"

Holly smiles before responding, still holding Luna's right hand in her left. "Yes. I liked this, too. I wanted to encourage you to stop by and eat with me in the Great Hall whenever you find me there. I do enjoy your company."

"And you want to protect me by publicly associating with me. That's very sweet. It's too bad about the Humm-plinkies."

"Are they going to be lonely if you eat with me?"

"No, but they might run away depending on what we're eating. If Humm-plinkies hear an
orgasm in progress, they sometimes slip into your ears and make you cry so you can't enjoy it, but they only do so if you're alone."

Holly releases Luna's hand to rub her forehead.

"So the best thing would be for you to be quiet about it."

"Or have a partner..."

"Luna, are you simply horny or do you want my friendship?"

"There's nothing simple about it."

"All I'm saying is that you're pushing too hard. I'm flattered to hear you've found an inspiration for your personal entertainment in me, but you're still dangerous in my eyes. Trust is built on communication, understanding and an honest desire to see the other person achieve their goals, remember? I like you. I don't trust you, yet."

Holly shakes her head and turns away from Luna, but is interrupted by a quick hand touching her shoulder. She turns back to see Luna give her a desperate look.

"Before you go... can I... have a kiss?"

Holly looks up to see mistletoe spontaneously growing from a vine above their heads. Holly looks back at Luna, who is looking at her with much hope and anxiety. She smiles.

"Well, if only to chase away the Nargles..."

Luna beams brightly as Holly leans in and kisses her on the lips. Their kiss deepens quickly and the blond begins to gasp into Holly's mouth. The young Ravenclaw stretches her arms along Holly's shoulders to wrap around the witch's head, drawing her deeper into the kiss. Holly's hands slip around Luna's waist and caress her back, giving the embrace a special warmth and intimacy.

Luna reluctantly breaks their enjoined lips once the need for air exceeds her desire to extend the moment.

Holly leans back slowly, staring at the young blond as she breathes emphatically with a sunny smile and a few happy tears.

"Happy Christmas, Luna."

The blond nods her head quickly in agreement. "Uh huh!"

Holly turns and walks off down the hallway, turning back to watch Luna skip into the Ravenclaw tower entrance. Holly continues back towards the stairs and after turning a corner, she slumps against a wall.

"God, I'm horny now. And annoyed. I think it's chaos time."

*

Tale of the Duel


Holly returns to the Great Hall where Neville intercepts her with a gentle touch to her forearm and a look of concern.

"Are you in trouble?"

"Oh, Nev! The night is still young..."

"Holly, did you change your dress?"

"No. This dress is magically layered for comfort. As I lose the need for the insulation, the extra layers of lace disappear automatically."

"Well neat! Wait. How many layers are there?"

"Fourteen originally when I was standing out in the snow. After our dances, the Brasilian Professor's tango and my hyper-waltz with Luna I'm probably down to... five."

Holly leads Neville into the crowd and turns to draw him into a slow dance. Unlike their previous dances, this more casual arrangement allows the two to move much closer.

Neville's fingers slide carefully around Holly's waist, threading in between the ornate lace patterns and red ribbons. They continue to sway to the music for a bit, but then Neville stops suddenly. His entire face blinks at Holly in surprise.

"H-Holly!"

"Yes, Neville?"

"I-I'm touching your skin!"

"I know Neville. I can feel it. It's nice."

"But shouldn't there be a slip under this?"

"No, I'm naturally this pale, so no reason to smooth out the underlying tones. I think it's wonderful how polite you've been this evening."

"You're welcome. Why do you say that though?"

"Well, obviously you've been avoiding staring at my breasts if you only just now realised that I'm not wearing a slip..."

Neville stops moving entirely as he reflexively catches a glimpse of Holly's areola beginning to pucker beneath the last few threaded flowers of black lace across Holly's chest. Holly continues to sway back and forth to the music despite Neville's current self-induced petrifaction.

"Nev, please start moving again. I feel like you didn't realise I was a girl until this second."

Neville snaps out of his reverie and begins to sway while looking Holly up and down, noting another unusual feature that wasn't visible before. He reacts by scrunching his
eyes shut.

"H-Holly, I can see your s-scars..."

"Yah. Five layers of lace isn't really that much, is it?"

"No it isn't. And no, you're not."

"Sorry?"

"You aren't a girl. You are most definitely a woman. I thought you were a girl, but you really are a woman. A lady."

Neville steps back and bows deeply to Holly, drawing her hand up to be kissed on the fingers.

"Thank you for bringing me and dancing with me. I had a wonderful time, Holly."

Neville then turns and leaves the dance floor at a brisk pace. Holly stands stunned for a moment and then moves to catch up, calling after her date.

"Neville? What's wrong? What are you...?"

But before Holly can pursue the quickly fleeing Gryffindor, she is intercepted by another competitor dancing by, accompanied by her consort of the evening.

"Cannot keep hold of your homme, Evans? How sad..."

"Hello, Miss Delacour. Hello Roger."

Roger Davies makes no indication that he hears Holly, or that he isn't actually swaying alone in a summer field with his dance partner. Holly cups her hands around her mouth to form a calling cone.

"HELLO, ROGER!"

"Oh, fret not. 'E is simply enchanted by my grace and beauty. You should not concern yourself wiz 'im."

"Yes, well it's not like Roger is known for being strong-willed. My friend Hermione had him panting after her when she was thirteen and even she thought he was too easy a catch."

Fleur turns and dances away with Roger with a 'harrumph'.

Holly scans across the whole room, looking for Neville without success. She heads over to the punch bowl where the Weasley twins are attempting to verbally or positionally outmaneuver Mr. Filch and Professor Sprout.

"Oi, lads. Why are you trying to taint the punch again? I thought the first fix was in from the kitchens?"

Both twins throw up their hands and turn towards Holly.

"That's just cruel..."

"... for you to interrupt our..."

"...well-laid attempts at..."

"...covering for our victory."

Behind them, Professor Sprout stares aghast at Mr. Filch and quickly draws her wand to cast diagnostic charms on the punch bowl.

"I know, but I have a question. Did you see where Neville went?"

"Fled the scene..."

"... with a worried look. You didn't..."

"...propose to him or..."

"...anything similarly..."

"...traumatic?"

"Not intentionally. If you see him, do a decent and skip the pranks until you know what upset him."

"Yeah, alrighhhhhh..."

Both twins lose their focus staring over Holly's shoulder, but Holly doesn't need to turn around to know Fleur has exerted some Allure to distract her co-Marauders.

"Boys, do you wizh to accompany me to anozzer table where we can talk of important zings?"

"Yeah..."

"... important zings..."

"... are our specialty."

Holly turns around as the twins move around her to follow Fleur's graceful sashaying across the room. Fleur glances over her shoulder with a smile to see Holly breathing deeply and staring after the French witch. Holly moans quietly in frustration.

"Gahh! What the Hell?"

~o~

Taking a stroll out in the cold courtyard (and thereby adding back six layers of gown), Holly catches sight of Professor Snape lurking near the carriages, trying to pounce on unsuspecting lovers looking for privacy. He is followed by Karkaroff, who keeps trying to engage the Potions Master in a debate over the state of their matching body art. Holly surreptitiously tosses a trio of sound-reflecting spells near to them, bypassing Karkaroff's simple privacy charm.

"It is more than smoke-like! Until our arrival it had been inky! This means more than you are prepared to accept, Severus."

"I am unconcerned with my status, should things... develop fully, for I have done nothing wrong in the eyes of my Master. Can you say the same, Igor?"

The Durmstrang headmaster stomps away past Holly with a near-constant Bulgarian grumble.

Holly decides to avoid another chat with her Head of House and returns to the warmth of the dance.

~o~

Holly crosses the entrance back into the Great Hall, but finds herself caught in the crossfire of an argument between Ginny and Ron Weasley.

"He's totally wrong for you! Don't you see that? You're even fraternizing with the enemy!"

Ginny scoffs and her voice raises volume. "Fraternizing? Just what do you think we're doing?"

"I don't know what you've been planning, but for sure Krum's got a different end in mind. And what about Harry? How's he supposed to feel about you two-timing him?"

"Harry? What gives you the right to concern yourself with Harry Potter? You've barely spent an hour with him!"

"Yeah, but we hit it right off, didn't we Holly?"

Ron turns imploringly towards Holly who immediately raises her hands in defense.

"Uh-uh. I'm not in this one. Ron, if you have a hangup, find out what it really is and then talk with Ginny about it when the audience is smaller. I mean really- the Entrance Hall?"

Viktor walks out into the scene carrying a pair of drinks. Despite missing the conversation, he can sense the tension from the tableau.

"Something is wrong?"

Ginny turns back to Ron and gives him an evil glare.

"Fraternizing am I? I'll show you fraternizing!"

Ginny then dives forward into Viktor's arms, snogging him deeply as the drinks are droppedto the stone floor in favour of a much more attractive-tasting handful of witch. They continue snogging deeply to Holly's amusement and Ron's deepening anger and upset. Hermione and Harry step out into this scene. Holly's attention is drawn to the other couple in her circle of conspirators, and thus she doesn't take note of Ron shakily pulling his wand from inside his unfortunate dress robes to aim it at the Durmstrang champion. With one look at Ron drawing his wand Hermione rushes up and clocks him in the nose, knocking him to the floor in pain. Harry stands bewildered and amused while Holly just keeps changing her viewpoint- Ginny and Krum snogging, Hermione standing over her House-mate with blood on her knuckles, Harry paying no attention to Ginny's theoretical betrayal and then noticing her own relative lack of a need to take action. Instantly, three professors enter the area and yell "EVANS!"

Harry turns and laughs at Holly now.

"Oh for...! Just because I'm entertained doesn't make it MY FAULT!"

~o~

Fifteen minutes of explanations along with Harry and Hermione rousing Ron from his stupor to sideline him for a private conversation, and Holly finds herself sitting alone at a table- well, not alone, as Ginny and Viktor are sitting there as well, but since their eyes haven't left each other since their kiss, it feels like alone.

"Chaos. I should be able to appreciate it more."

Holly's wandering gaze lands upon a table across the room, where nearly twenty older boys and incidental officials are crowded around the tinkling laughter of Fleur Delacour. Fleur takes a moment to stare defiantly at Holly, giving the red-headed witch an unwelcome stutter in her heartbeat.

Holly's view is suddenly obscured by the proffered hand of a red uniform. Ilya says with a wide smile, "May I have this dance with the most ravishing woman of the competition?"

"Well, she seems surrounded, but I'm willing to act as substitute."

"No, no! You sell yourself short when you have never shown such doubt before. You are breaking my delusion!"

Holly stands up to look Ilya straight in the eye.

"I like that you're not tall."

"I like that, too."

"That I'm not tall?"

"That you like something about me!"

"I like a lot of things about you. Do you dance swing?"

"With power and skill!"

"HEY, SISTERS! Give us a SWINGING TUNE!"

Never shy at taking a good request, the bagpipe player transfigures his instrument into a saxophone and the band kicks off a vibrant rendition of 'Jump, Jive and Wail'*. In seconds, Ilya and Holly are swinging, tumbling, be-bopping and somersaulting across the dance floor to great appreciation. In less than a minute they are joined by the Patils and their dance partners, though Padma doesn't take quite the acrobatic risks with Dean that Holly and Parvati are willing to demonstrate with their partners.As the dancing continues, more people begin to gather around the swingers. More than a few also take notice that the faster and harder they dance, the less clothing Holly seems to be wearing. By the end of the second swing number, Holly's dress can best be described as ambitious lingerie with matching thigh-highs. As the two wild dancers end the piece in a heavy breathing clutch, Holly gives Ilya a brief but fierce kiss. As she breaks away, Holly sees Ilya smile back at her with lustful intent. His face then slackens to a serene bliss as waves of Allure wash over both the dancers from an approaching Fleur. Holly shivers from the power of the wave and bristles at the sound of Fleur's 'bedroom' voice.

"Zat was very... athletic, Ilya. I would like you to show me some of your... best dance moves zis evening..."

"THAT'S IT!"

Holly grabs Fleur's wrist and begins to drag her from the Great Hall. The French witch breaks into an evil smile and allows herself to be led out of the Great Hall and up the staircase. Interested observers and gossip-seekers find themselves blocked from tracking
the witches when Harry, Hermione and Ron emerge from their conversation to block the staircase. Harry leaves the two Gryffindors to crowd control, trotting up the steps to catch up with the combatants.

~o~

Holly drags Fleur through several passageways on the second floor until she brings her into the girls' loo. Upon entry, Holly makes the space her own.

"Everyone out."

Several disconcerted girls of various years and Houses quickly assemble themselves and flee the room. Holly seals the door with a charm or three, tosses her wand to the floor and then turns to face Fleur. The tall blond stands across the room in a challenging stance.

"Now it is time for ze cats to fight? I assure you zat you will not find me unready!"

"I don't want to fight you- I want you to stop provoking me. What's your problem?"

"My provocation is intentional. Defend yourself!"

Holly clenches her jaw. "Wandless, then."

Fleur extracts her own instrument, carefully placing it in a nearby sink before moving to a strangely avian-looking defensive position.

"Sans Magique, Evans. I know a little of your capabilities."

"Huh. Really."

Fleur shifts into what looks like a dancer's pose, giving Holly a moment of slight concern. Holly kicks off her heels and ties back her hair more tightly. Her lace dress (now at three layers) offers little impediment to movement, being little more than a tea-length skirt and halter. Holly stalks up in a crouch, her arms propped loosely before her with her hands at the ready.

Fleur has removed a longer underskirt and now hops from one foot to the other. Her heeled shoes have softened into leather slippers. The French witch's arms are held in a ready position in front of her with hands flat.

Fleur's hopping turns into sharp jab-like kicks as Holly enters into range. The blond's movements reflect an obvious skill and grace; she deftly feints with one leg only to swing the other into a painful strike against Holly's face. Holly takes the hit and steps back slightly while Fleur sets herself back into position.

A second approach ends similarly, with Fleur landing three successive strikes against Holly's jaw and temple, the last sending her spinning to the floor. Fleur taunts Holly while she recovers.

"You are a bully! SO many fear you and why? Because you attack ze defenseless! You prey on ze weak! You are worse zan a man who abuses women- you should know BETTER!"

At the end of her admonition, Fleur spins herself into a powerful low-sweeping kick just as Holly was rising from a kneel. The strike knocks her over onto her back, sending blood flying from her mouth to stain a nearby sink.

Holly moans as she picks herself up back to kneeling, slowly rising once more to a crouched defensive posture. Fleur dances around her, taunting her with false kicks.

"Not so talkative now. Wizout an audience, you are nozzing."

Fleur snap-kicks towards Holly's face, but her strike is deflected by a strongly-positioned forearm. She adjusts her balance and swings another kick towards Holly's left temple. This one is also caught, this time by both hands curled to catch the Veela's shin. With a shift in her balance, Holly yanks Fleur from her stance and sends her to the floor with a lung-expelling smack.

Fleur flips over and rises to a defensive pose, recovering her breath.

Holly scoffs. "Mademoiselle, who do you think is going to win this battle?"

Fleur launches a lightning-quick strike with her pointed toes aimed at Holly's eye, only she suddenly finds herself flipped onto the ground facing the ceiling. She twirls into a scissor-kick to bring herself to standing once more, but once back in position, Holly has disappeared.

"Disgusting... you could not defeat me so you resort to magic!"

Holly's voice echoes off the stone walls. "Not magic- I just know this room. Fleur, give it up. I don't want to hurt you. Stop trying to bait me. You don't want to hurt me."

"Why? Would your vengeance be so terrible?"

Holly steps out from behind the central sink/fountain, only now she has tinted her skin to the colour of coffee beans.

"No, I just figure you might regret it."

Fleur steps back in shock. "Y-you! You are m'amant en chocolat?"

Holly smiles coyly. "Yes."

With a scream of rage Fleur launches at Holly, kicks and punches being fended off by the now-dusky witch desperately using every limb to block the powerful strikes. Bruises accumulate on Holly's arms, shoulders and legs under the barrage.

"Fleur... Fleur you have to stop... Fleur... DAMNIT FLEUR! You keep this up and--"

A wild flurry of kicks and swung arms finally lands a solid strike to Holly's throat, sending her to the floor in pain. Fleur screams her frustration as Holly makes choking noises, trying to catch a breath.

"DAMN YOU! I have never felt ze love before and now I find zat you are my secret obsession? CURSE YOUR NAME and all who follow you! I wish all your loves to perish and you to die alone, IN MISERY!"

Holly snaps up to standing with a growl. Fleur blindly whips a savage roundhouse at Holly's head, but her missed spin lands her confused for a moment, having lost track of her opponent. Suddenly she feels Holly's hand grasping her tightly by the throat from behind.

"N-non--(Aighk!)"

Holly spins Fleur back over a leg braced behind the witch's hip, bringing her to the ground and jumping to land both knees on the prone girl's stomach. Holly shifts to place her right shin across her opponent's larynx, then wraps both hands on the breathless girl's right arm. A foreceful yank pulls it out of socket with a loud pop. Fleur's gurgling scream is ignored- Holly clambers over her, grasping her other arm as it rises in defense, gripping both wrist and elbow and forcefully snapping the forearm against Holly's braced knee.

Fleur curls into a ball but looks back up as Holly changes position- Fleur sees her eyes glint in feral rage and can only whimper. Seconds later pain explodes across her skull as two successive punches strike her with a force she would expect from an Abraxan's kick. Repeated punches to her left side break several ribs, and Fleur finds it impossible to breathe for twenty harrowing seconds.

The French witch finally catches her breath and weeps in pain and fear, feeling Holly's strong hands wrap around either side of her left knee. For a minute there is no action while the room echoes with Fleur's weeping and Holly's ragged breath.

"Y-you have... beautiful legs, Miss Delacour. M-must be all that Savate practice."

Holly strokes the limb from ankle to knee to hip, brushing the shreds of Fleur's ball dress out of the way. Her hands shake slightly from adrenaline, but the touch is tender.

"I'm sorry. I've been dropping hints that I'm Jodi ever since you got here, but it seems like all you want to do with me is fight."

Fleur's sobbing quiets somewhat, though the sharp pain from her abdomen, shoulder, forearm, cheek, jaw and ribcage continues to keep her pulse running.

Holly gently places Fleur's leg on the floor. She crawls over the witch's twitching body, tremors from Fleur's over-stimulated nerves revealing to Holly the extent of her injuries.

After a brief assessment, Holly stuns Fleur unconscious with a tap to her forehead.

~o~

Fleur awakes to find that she is lying on a soft cushion, still in the same water-logged lavatory. A brief test of her limbs and jaw shows a lingering soreness but no real injuries to speak of. Fleur also notes that she is naked, though not cold. The cushion is radiating a pleasant warmth from beneath her. She is startled by the taunting voice of a dark-haired ghost half-emerged from a toilet.

"OooOOOhh! The French tart awakes! Maybe if you ask nicely, Holly will kill you here and I can keep you company. I'm sure we can share many saucy stories together."

"Myrtle, leave her be."

The ghost grumps before retreating forcefully back down her drain, causing water to splash up to cover the stall.

The blond witch carefully rises to sitting, covering her exposed breasts with a lithe arm. Surveying her surroundings, Fleur espies Holly sitting with her back to the wall at the far end of the room, almost hidden in the shadows despite having reverted to her natural pale colouring. Fleur spits out an accusation at her. "What have you done to me?"

Holly's response is quiet but audible. "I healed you. I fixed your gown- it's hanging in one of the dry stalls. I stared at your beautiful body for a while. You've only been out for twenty minutes, which is why you're still sore. It will take a day of rest to get you back to... perfection."

"You 'ealed me? Yet you strip me naked."

"Feeling vulnerable? Seems only fair to me."

"And why did you seduce me at ze World Cup?"

Holly scoffs. "Because you're intelligent and attractive, plus you curse like a sailor. I had such the hots for you, and every time you've thrown your Allure at me I just wanted to strip you down and lick you happy. You haven't been dominating me, Fleur. I react to your aura with desire. Deep, burning desire. (Sigh)

"But I'm no rapist. And I'm not the evil girl the press reports say I'm becoming. Not yet, at any rate."

"Why zen do you cultivate zis image as Sorcière Maudire?"

"I have very specific reasons for my public actions but they don't have to do with gaining power, exactly... it's... complicated."

Fleur sneers. "Deceiving me; terrorizing Margaux; murdering a dragon? Zese are not too 'complicated' to understand, nor are my beliefs- you are cruel, and I despise you."

Holly sobs upon hearing this.

"Why does zis surprise you? We have been adversarial from ze start."

"I'd (snif)... I'd hoped that you would see the similarities in our situations, (snif) maybe want to talk plainly with another girl in the spotlight that can't be herself."

Fleur squints at Holly, a slight revulsion crossing her face. "You are disturbed. I will not antagonise you anymore, for you have proven your superiority... in making ozzers feel pain. Please leave me alone as well, as a courtesy."

Fleur stands up stiffly. A brief exploration of the loo stalls reveals her repaired gown as promised. She dresses, retrieves her wand and then leaves without a backward glance.

Holly shakes her head, rubbing away the last of her tears.

"Fucking brilliant. Nice temper there, Evans. What was I thinking? Oh, right. 'Veeeela'."

~o~

Fleur emerges, nods towards Harry respectfully and heads off toward the Great Hall. (Once there, she rather publicly declares that she is retiring for the evening over 'a bad reaction to Eeenglish food').

Minutes later, Holly appears through the door and straightens her (currently nine-layered) gown. She starts to head down the darkened hallway and back to the party, followed promptly by Harry.

"You couldn't have invited me in?"

"You're still grounded."

Harry sidles up next to Holly, gently caressing her arm. "But Hollllleeee... Veeeeeelllaaa!"

"Three meters, Harry! Let's go find your date."

"What happened to yours, anyway?"

"I... scared him off. Something of a trend for the night."

Harry stops their progress with a hand on her forearm, looking at Holly's bowed face with concern. "You didn't have a good time, did you?"

Holly tilts her face up into the light from a nearby torch- the rims of her eyes are red from crying, the sclera of one eyeball is tinged gruesomely with blood and her split lip is swollen, though healing quickly.

"No. Neither of us did."

Holly switches to her Lennon shades and hooks her arm in Harry's, walking them back to the Ball.

~o~

Holly spends the rest of the evening in the company of couples; Viktor & Ginny, Hermione & Harry, Pansy & Stan, and Ilya & Tracey. Professor Vargas stops by to bow once more, wishing Holly a pleasant Yule, to which she answers, "To you as well, Jango. I hope to see you in the Judges' Box for the second task."

After he departs, Ginny smiles wide and pokes at Holly. "He seems dishy!"

"Yah. I believe his wife will be getting a very enthusiatic hello upon his return, too. Lucky wench."

The table erupts in laughter, which Holly does a fair job of faking.

~o~

Around one in the morning, Holly, Natalia and Hermione ascend Disillusioned from the passage beneath the Shattered Shack. They are dressed in comfortable clothes, kept warm by their winter cloaks.

Natalia asks, "Ready to leave?"

Holly nods. "I'm ready for this day to end. I don't think I make a very good society girl."

They join hands, and with a loud crack of displaced air, they disappear from Scotland entirely.

*

Omake 2: After the Ball

"This is Lee Jordan on WWRX, your prescription for music in the cold, cold night. We'll be shifting to our quiet overnight mix in just a moment, but I have a few last minute announcements for all you Yule Ball survivors.

"First, we have assurances that tomorrow morning's broadcast will NOT be Polkas again, so feel free to listen in on our classical guitar guest shift, hosted by visiting Durmstrang student Olga Hars. Also, I have a message from Holly; it says... lemme see... 'Happy Christmas. I hope you all enjoyed the chocolate torte.' (I certainly did; that stuff was mad intense!) 'I don't think it's regularly available as it wasn't made by the House-elves. You'll just have to savour the flavour.'

"Huh. Weird. Anyway, Happy Christmas, everyone!"

Across the entire castle the ghosts look around in confusion over the sudden rise in moans coming from nearly every room within earshot of a Weasley Wireless.

[In case you're wondering why Holly would do this prank after setting up the Deputies, she was figuring this might release some of the tension rather than increase it. For example: Katie Bell cornered Lee as he returned to the dorm and whispered the phrase in his ear to his utter delight. Despite their proximity, he didn't have enough muscular control to stand, much less have sex with her. Good sex was encouraged. Bad sex was derailed.]

*

Omake 1: Before the Ball

"Suppose it would be a bit of scandal if we were found out in a closet somewhere..."

"Yes, me being arrested for incestuously corrupting the Boy-Who-Lived would definitely qualify as a failure to achieve the mission goals."

"Goals?"

"Priorities, then. In order they are: Leave without legal complications; Make Harry look good; Make Holly look delicious, if evil; Holly gets to have fun; Sow chaos."

"I accept! What do I win if we are completely successful?"

"A threesome. The third member of the triskele has yet to be confirmed, but I have leads."

Harry bounces up and down quite incongruously for his shape.

"You really know how to motivate a lad!"

"Moony is not a candidate."

Harry's bouncing ceases and he looks at Holly haughtily as she attempts to pull on her black thigh-high stockings without ripping a ladder.

"Of course not. It breaks the rule."

"What rule?"

"Half your age, plus five is the lowest age you should entertain as a lover. After all, one must abide by some sort of standard..."

"So, thirteen or higher for me. Please don't tell Luna about this rule. Let's see. For you that'd be sixteen, but isn't that twenty-four for Moony?"

"Ehhm, yeah. Maybe it was... no that would... well that's his fault!"

"Oh, so the older one is held to the standard, but not the younger. Is this apparent age or chronological?"

"Y'know, if you're just going to tear it all apart, it becomes a useless guideline and I'll start pouncing on anything that responds to a decent flirt!"

"And if you're Harry, twelve is cool. Astoria should watch out."

"Shut it..."

"But John Atkins the firstie can fairly pursue nine-year-old Gabrielle Delacour in a few months when she moves into double-digits..."

"Maybe it was 'plus seven', but based upon emotional maturity?"

"Is there a spell for that?"

"Yeah, but it measures in cooking utensils for some reason..."

"'Soup ladle plus seven'? I assume you tried it on me- what's my rating?"

Harry is briefly distracted watching Holly put on a pair of black lace panties. Garters magically snap down her thighs to attach to the leggings, though their own enchantments don't require the fasteners for them to be kept in place. Harry sighs loudly.

"Oh, Hols. There isn't a diagnostic in the world that can figure you right. Nice knickers, by-the-by."

"I'm trying to reduce the chances of outright scandal. Am I a dram? A mixing bowl? Dutch oven?"

"Ehh... kitchen."

"Kitchen oven?"

"Just... kitchen."

"So if I go by this other arbitrary measure, I'll be dating retirees for the rest of my days."

"I doubt you need as much guidelines as I do, Miss Kitchen. Feel free to follow your own conscience."

"I almost had sex with your Aunt Narcissa, y'know? From her perspective it probably was sex."

"Holly!"

"I'm just saying... Minerva thinks I still need guidance and she's as wise as they come."

Harry smiles teasingly.

"So you're going to start asking her who you should take to your bed?"

Holly stands up in her knickers and thigh-highs, thinking for a moment. She then grabs her layered black lace gown and shimmies into it until it settles into place comfortably. Pulling at a pair of interlaced red ribbons, the dress draws tight around Holly's waist and hugs the curves of her bosom and hips. Holly ties the ribbons into a decorative knot at her left hip and turns to face Harry for evaluation.

"Yeah, I'm thinking 'not in this lifetime'. How do I look?"

Harry gives Holly a smouldering up and down ogle.

"You look good enough to eat..."

Holly raises an eyebrow and thrusts up a hand to hold back any further commentary.

"Really, Tonks. Stay away from me this evening, okay?"

"Did hearing that from Harry make you ill?"

"No, not at all. It had exactly the wrong 'right response'. Three meter distance, Tonks. All night. Are we clear?"

Harry slides up from the bed, moving towards Holly with a seductive gaze locked on the curviest parts of Holly's body.

"I'd say right now things are as murky as we can make them."

Holly moves her hands to her hips.

"Yah. Get out."

Harry smiles crudely.

"I wish you weren't my sister..."

"OUT!"

*

To be continued in Tangent 9501: Men and the Art of Motorcycle Zaniness.
Holly, Hermione, Natalia, Sirius and Remus spend the rest of the holidays together in the Madhouse sorting out relationship stuff. When they get back we'll go on with, y'know, the plot.

Author's Notes:
* 'Jump, Jive and Wail' was originally written and performed by big band legend Louis Prima, and released in the 1950's. The Brian Setzer Orchestra formed in 1990 and was doing a rework of the tune for their gigs that they also included in their first album in 1994. If you figure the elder generation in the Potter-verse is a hundred years behind the times, then the current generation is probably 30-40 years retro. I didn't feel it was much of a stretch for the kids to be learning to dance Swing and Tango with the Patil sisters.

And now, a brief apology: For those who expected Holly and Fleur to get sexual in this chapter- that was the original plan, but at some point I realised it was just too improbable.

Imaginary Fleur: 'Oh, you have been lying to me about who you are and what you represent? How silly of me! Let us have sex now!'

Sounds like a simple erotica setup. All evidence to the contrary, I'm actually aiming just a little higher for this story.

Note from Omake 1:
The reference to the dating age decency rule is based upon a piece from 'A Black Comedy' by Nonjon. His rule was 'half your age plus seven', which he admitted was gathered from an uncertain source. By that estimation this story's been in trouble for a while (although Holly and Hermione believed they were both fourteen by the time 'Glorious' occurred, their first sexual encounter was in the Polyjuice mishap when they were thirteen). Natalia's 'Plus-five' version actually works for her and Holly when they first met (21 and 15), but also means that people can start getting together sexually at the age of 10! Remus still has no excuse for dating Tonks, but we know Narcissa isn't right in the head, so it's no surprise that she was committing a depraved act by trying to seduce Holly.

The cooking utensils measure for emotional maturity is (of course) a coy reference to Hermione's description of Ron as 'having the emotional range of a teaspoon', from HP and the Order of the Phoenix. Fans of Dungeons and Dragons may see a different interpretation for a +7 Soup Ladle (no doubt an artifact of great power).
Sign up to rate and review this story