Categories > TV > Supernatural > How Life Should Be

A Beer

by Shaded_Alpha 0 reviews

John and Dean share a drink.

Category: Supernatural - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2010-07-12 - Updated: 2010-07-12 - 1414 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER FIVE - A BEER

Dean pulled the Impala into the drive way of #53 Barker Avenue and then got out of the car. Once John realized that Dean was not going to wait for him, he quickly got out of the car. The house was a creamy color and only had one level. There was one large window in the front of the house which was right next to the front door. There were a few flower plants in the garden and John assumed that the garden was the work of Pepper. However the lawn was neatly kept and that was probably Dean's doing.

He followed Dean up the path to the front door. Dean unlocked the door and let them inside. The door opened up to the living room. There were two sofas, one on each side with a television set against the wall between them. There was also a coffee table in the middle. To the right was a hall way and behind the living room was the kitchen.

John noticed some random knick-knacks around the place and it made the place seem more homely. There was also plenty of photos of the family, but most of the photos were of Ayla.

"Well, Dad," Dean said as he dropped his keys on the coffee table. "I’m going to grab a shower. You right here for a few minutes?"

"Yeah." John nodded with his replied.

Dean turned around and disappeared down the hall way. John moved around the living room and looked at all of the photos. He picked up one of Ayla, which was resting on a cabinet. It was in a silver frame with an engraving along the top 'Ayla Rosetta Winchester'. Ayla had Dean's last name, but John was certain that Pepper wasn’t wearing a wedding ring. It was just something else that he would need to ask Dean about.

After looking at the photos he moved down into the hall and could hear the sound of the shower running. He moved to the next room and peeked in through the door. The room had a king-sized bed which would have made in Dean and Pepper's bedroom. John smirked when he noticed the TV by the end of the bed. He then continued down the hall and into Ayla's nursery.

The nursery was painted a pale purple color. There a toy chest by a window on the left wall and in the middle of the room was Ayla's crib. It was made of wood. John had to close his eyes tightly as the wooden crib brought up too strong a memory of that horrible night.

"It hasn’t happened here" John quietly told himself. "She's fine."

He opened his eyes. After staying in the nursery for 20 minutes he left and headed back out to the living room and waited for Dean.

Dean walked back into the living room, wearing jeans and a black shirt as well as his jacket. His hair was damp from the shower. Obviously not having been bothered to dry it.

"So, dad how about a beer?" Dean asked

"Ah, sounds good." John replied

He followed Dean into the kitchen. Dean opened the fridge and pulled out two cans of beer. He handed one to his father. John drank down a few mouthfuls and looked around the kitchen. He noticed a bottle of red wine sitting in an old cupboard. It seemed special somehow and John couldn’t help but ask,

"What’s with the wine?"

Dean shrugged "It's Ayla's" he replied

John turned around to look at Dean in confusion. Thinking he must have misheard his son, he asked "What?"

"You know, it’s the one we got when Ayla was born." Dean replied "The one we're going to give her when she turns 21."

"Oh, yes. Right." John said, with a smile. That was actually a good idea. "I must have forgotten."

"Dad, are you sure you're okay?" Dean asked "You've been acting weird. Is everything alright?"

John smiled slightly. "Yeah, I just didn’t get a lot of sleep last night."

Dean looked at his father for a few moments longer before he headed into the living room. John noticed that Dean wasn’t completely convinced by John's response but at least he let it go for now. John joined Dean in the living room. Dean was sitting on one of the sofas so John sat down on the other one. John sat and tried to think of a way to ask Dean everything that he wanted to know.

"How's life?" He asked, trying to sound casual.

Dean shrugged. "Well you should know considering we live so close and you occasionally work at the garage."

"Yeah, I just..You are happy aren’t you? I mean you have a good life?"

"I have a great life" Dean said with a grin

"Yeah?"

"Sure, what’s not to love? My job where I can do something I love and get paid for it. My own home, that I share with my girlfriend or my beautiful daughter? So yeah I'm pretty set."

John grinned. "I'm glad Dean. So, you and Pepper aren’t married?"

"You're not going to start are you?"

"Start?"

"Oh did mum put you up to this?" Dean asked, ignoring his father "Pepper and I will get married when we're ready and just because we have a daughter does not mean that we're ready for marriage"

John laughed at that. "Your mums been giving you a hard time about it ha?"

Dean grinned and shrugged one shoulder "Nah, it’s alright. I think she just wants to plan a wedding. But at least she still got a grandchild out of the deal right."

John laughed out loudly once more and took a swig of beer.

"At least Ayla has your last name" John said, and hoped Dean would tell him why that was. He wasn’t disappointed.

"Well, Winchester is just so much cooler that Bassingthwaighte. Easier to say too."

"You don’t tell Pepper this do you?" John asked

"What? That her name is hard to say?"

"About our family name being, better than hers?"

"I'm guessing she knows. It was after all her idea to give Ayla my name."

John drank some more beer.

"How's your brother?"

"Sammy? You want to know how Sam's life is?" Dean asked confused.

John simply nodded.

"Alright but considering the dude calls mum every other week I thought you'd know how he was." Dean replied "But, uh, I guess he's happy. Seems to be anyway. Last time we spoke he was doing well in school and he and Jess seem fine."

"When did you last speak with him?"

"Last week some time. Why?"

"No reason." John sighed "Well, that’s great. I'm proud that you're both happy."

"Okay, that’s it dad"

John froze half way between having another drink of beer. "What?" He asked

"No more sleepless nights for you" Dean announced. "You go all....weird."

John smirked. Trust Dean to keep his 'No chick flick moments' rule even in a dream.

Once their drinks were finished, Dean stood up and grabbed John's empty can off the table. John gave him an odd look as he never would have considered Dean the type to clean up.

"Pep, would kill me if I left the place a mess." Dean explained

John smirked because he used to be the same with Mary and their house. He watched Dean disappear into the kitchen for a few seconds before he came back.

"Alright, I guess we can go and help mum out" Dean said.

"You know we didn’t actually have lunch" John pointed out

"We had a beer."

John gave him a stern look which caused Dean to smirk.

"Ah well, we'll just have to see what mum's cooking." Dean replied.

John shook his head in amusement. He was so proud of his sons. They were both happy and healthy and were enjoying life. Although it was a painful thought to think that if it hadn’t have been for the demon and that awful night, his sons could have had all this in...the real world.

He couldn’t wait to see Mary with her boys as grown men. But more than that John found that he wanted to see Dean with Ayla. Wanted to see what kind of father he was. To see how much he loved her.

TBC

Next Chapter - The Bet
Sign up to rate and review this story