Categories > TV > Supernatural > How Life Should Be

Dean at Work

by Shaded_Alpha 0 reviews

John visits Dean at his work.

Category: Supernatural - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2010-07-12 - Updated: 2010-07-12 - 974 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER FOUR - DEAN AT WORK

It took two minutes for John to get over his shock. Luckily both Mary and Pepper were to busy talking to notice him. They were seated on the sofa.

Mary bounced Ayla on her lap. John smiled when Mary held her hand up to stop Ayla from grabbing her earrings. He remembered her doing the same thing when Dean was a baby.

"Can I have a hold?" John asked, looking at Mary and the baby.

Mary looked up and smiled "Sure" she said

She stood up and walked towards John and handed Ayla over to him. John carefully rocked the baby against him, not wanting to upset her. He hadn't been around a young child since Sam was young.

Mary turned around to Pepper. "How about a cup of tea?" She asked

"Sounds great" Pepper replied and stood up.

Mary and Pepper both headed towards the kitchen. Pepper disappeared through the door but Mary paused and turned to John.

"Coffee, John?" She asked

"Yeah" John replied but he was looking at Ayla and not Mary.

Mary nodded and turned around.

John sat down on the sofa and bounced Ayla on his knee. She gurgled and grabbed his nose. John smiled. It was amazing to see and hold his grandchild, even if this was all a dream. Ayla looked happy and healthy. As he looked at her there was no doubt in his mind that she was Dean's daughter. For one thing, she had Dean's green eyes. But it wasn't just Ayla's look, it was a very strong feeling that John had.

Once Ayla let go of his nose, John moved her closer and kissed her cheek.

Mary and Pepper came back into the room a few minutes later. Pepper holding one mug while Mary held two. Pepper placed her mug down on the coffee table before she took Ayla from John, so that he could take his own drink from Mary. Pepper then sat down beside John on the sofa with Ayla on her lap while Mary sat down in an arm chair.

John drank his coffee and watched Pepper. He wanted to know everything about the woman who mothered his grandchild, but he didn’t know how to ask her anything without looking strange or senile.

"So, where's Dean?" John casually asked.

He figured if he talked to Dean it might be easier to find information on Pepper.

"Work" Pepper replied

John finished his coffee and stood up.

"I, ah, I think I'll go for a walk." He announced "See how Dean's doing."

Mary nodded. "Alright then. We'll see you when you get back."

John walked over and kissed Mary, briefly on the lips. A part of him didn't want to leave her. He wanted to keep her in his sight at all time, but another part of him needed to get answers on his son's and their lives. He slowly stood up and walked to the front door.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John walked outside and looked around his front lawn. It seemed so bright and cherry. He noticed a light green Beatle car parked out the front of the house and wondered if it was Pepper's car. He knew it was when he walked closer and saw a baby seat in the back.

'I wonder if Dean's still got the Impala?" He thought as he headed down the street.

He could have driven. It would have been quicker but John decided that the fresh air and long walk was something he needed right now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The garage looked like it had when John had worked there. There was a strong smell of oil and grease. John walked around for a bit and then he spotted Dean, working under the hood of a car.

"Dean!" John called out, not wanting to startle him.

Dean looked up and smiled. "Hey, dad." He wiped his hands on a dirty rag "What're you doing here?"

"Just came to see what you were doing" John replied

"Ah, ha." Dean said slowly, unconvinced. "And it has nothing to do with the fact that Pepper is at your place?"

"What?" John asked. Did he and Pepper not get along or something?

"You know, all that girl talk that she and mum do."

"Oh," John sighed "Ah yes."

"Well I'm due for a break if you wanna get something to eat." said Dean

John smiled "Sounds good, son"

Dean looked at his father strangely before he disappeared into the garage office. John supposed he was acting a bit strange. A few minutes later, Dean walked out of the office with a grin on his face.

"I've got the rest of the day off." He said

"Don't you have work to do?" asked John

"Nothing that can't wait till tomorrow. Come on, we'll go home and have a beer."

John nodded and wondered if Dean meant his home of John's. He followed him around the back of the garage where the staff parked their cars. John stopped in his tracks, a smile kicked at his lips. Dean still had the Impala and she looked better than ever.

"Dad?" Dean asked

John hadn't noticed that Dean had already gone to the drivers' side and opened the door, ready to get in.

"Yeah?" John asked

"Are you okay?"

John nodded "I'm fine" he replied and then got into the Impala.

Dean nodded and then pulled out and away from the garage. As they drove, John noticed that the back seat of Dean's car had a baby rattle on the seat, a stuffed bear on the floor and a yellow baby blanket which was slowly slipping from the seat to the floor. John couldn't help but smile.

"What are you smiling about?" Dean asked, as he stopped at a red light.

"Nothing." John replied.

TBC

Next Chapter - A Beer
Sign up to rate and review this story