Categories > Original > Romance > Save Me

One

by knifecrew 1 review

Adam has known Miles for over 10 years and secretly held an unrequited love for his best friend. The two used to live together, work together and were practically joined at the hip, but when Adam i...

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Romance - Published: 2010-07-18 - Updated: 2010-07-19 - 3190 words

0Unrated
Chapter One

“When did you say the Realtor would be there?” It had been weeks in the making, his return to the states. Adam took care of his housing situation through a friend of a friend, making sure he had a real home to go to when he arrived and not just some hotel. He hated living out of a suitcase, but it would have to be like that until he had the time to get a dresser, at least. First things first, they were due shortly to sign the papers.

Adam glanced at his watch. 9:57 AM. They were about an hour out depending on traffic and the appointment was at 11:00. “We’ll be fine, so long as the expressway isn’t jammed.”

Miles looked over and smiled to himself, but he did not elaborate on the expression. As curious as it was, Adam kept his mouth shut. “Well I guess that doesn’t leave much time to grab breakfast. We’ll have to get something after. You don’t have anything for the apartment yet, do you? Are you sure you don’t want to just stay with me for the weekend?”

“I couldn’t do that,” Adam replied, shaking his head. He would feel like he was imposing.

“It’s not a big deal. It’s just me at the moment. Alison is in Vegas for a conference and she won’t be back until Monday night.” Suddenly, the offer sounded tempting. It would be just like old times and he would at least have a bed to sleep on. When Adam said nothing, Miles continued to attempt to sway him towards the idea. He always had that sort of affect on him. “What do you plan to sleep on anyway?”

With no bed and no couch, that only left “The floor, I guess,” Adam answered. He had a blanket and a pillow stuffed in his luggage which he had brought with him for the plane ride.

“No way,” the brunet declared. “You’re not sleeping on the ground in an empty apartment; not until you get some furniture. You’re staying at my place – end of story.”

There was no use in arguing against him when he got like that. Miles was Adamant about this and Adam knew better than to try and talk him out of it. He sighed instead, propping his elbow on the passenger door to lean against. The scenery that blew by was a familiar comfort, only a few buildings he did not recognize. Most everything else he remembered quite vividly. He was just glad to be home.

-

“What do you think?”

Adam looked around the empty living room. It was big enough, almost too big he thought, but for the price he was getting it could be considered a steal. The floors were a dark hardwood; a kitchen that overlooked the large room; one bedroom, one bath and a small nook big enough to deem a makeshift office – it was perfect.

“It’s great,” he said, and he meant it too. “Where do I sign?”

The Realtor smiled and brought them into the kitchen. He had Adam scribble his signature on a few pages before handing over the keys, but the apartment was his. “Here’s my number,” the man said, handing him a card. “If you need anything, don’t hesitate to give me a call. Other than that, I believe these are yours.” He dropped a few keys in Adam’s palm and exchanged a few words as he was moved out of the apartment.

Adam flinched when a hand came down on his shoulder. Miles squeezed at it a bit and came up from behind. “You ready to get out of here?” There was not much left to do but grab a few things before heading to Miles’s place.

“Yeah,” the blond said, nodding. He moved to the front door, locking it as they stepped out. He would have to get some furniture in the next day or so, but for now, first things first.

-

3 Years Prior

“What are you doing here?” Adam stood staring at Miles. He wasn’t expecting a visit; not until morning, at least. Miles was to take him to the airport then.

“It’s your last night,” the brunet said, forcing a half-hearted smile. Adam could tell. He knew the guy like the back of his hand. They had been friends for almost 10 years at that point and had lived together until only three years ago.

Adam moved aside to let the man in. Truthfully, he had wanted to see Miles one last time before moving to London. Truthfully, he did not want to go. And yet, the offer, the chance to grow professionally was too great to pass up. Just a few weeks ago, he had made the decision, with a little convincing, to fill in as an art director at their headquarters.

“I brought a little something.” Miles smirked and held up a pack of beer. He moved into the living room and set the box on the coffee table, ripping it open; one for himself and one for Adam.

“Thanks.”

Miles sat on the couch while Adam sat adjacent to him in the armchair. There was not a lot of furniture left; only the necessities – a bed, couch, television. He wouldn’t need them anyway and planned on having the rest sold off or given away once he was gone. Miles had been kind enough to offer to take care of that. It was sort of a sad thought. He’d miss that apartment. He would miss the city, but most of all he would miss Miles. There was no way in hell he would admit it, though; at least not to his face. Instead, he cracked open his beer and took a few sips, needing to get his mind off the thought.

“We, uh...got you a card at the office,” Miles said a bit sheepishly. He pulled it out from somewhere and Adam accepted it; a curious twinkle shined in his eyes. “Everyone signed it.” Maggie from accounting; Jill, the new web designer; Alex, one of their project managers; Mark, lead designer. His eyes scanned over the names – there were plenty of them – until one of them caught his eyes, Ben. He couldn’t mistake that signature scrawled at the bottom of the card in the corner. “I’m not supposed to tell you this, but everyone pooled some cash together and bought you a gift. You’ll get it in London, though.”

Adam smiled and chuckled. They didn’t need to do that. Even so, it still brought his spirits down. He ignored the heavy weight at his heart, thinking about the brighter side of the situation. This was the opportunity of a lifetime and he was the first on the list to be offered the position. There was no way he could reject it.

“Remember when we first got the job?” Yes, he did. “I can’t believe it.” Four years now, gone in an instant. There was a sad sort of expression tugging at his features, but Adam said nothing about it. He couldn’t now that he was in too deep. “We were still just a couple of kids,” Miles said. The room fell silent for a moment as they mulled over the thought until he spoke up again. “Well, I didn’t come here to dampen the mood.” He finally cracked open the ring on his beer can. “Too good things,” he said, raising his can in a toast. He took a drink and smiled again, this time a little more downheartedly.


~

Adam felt weird being in there. It wasn’t just Miles’ place anymore.

“There’s an extra room I use as an office, but I’ve got a pullout in there.”

“Still working your ass off?”

“I can’t help it. Alison hates it but you know...” Miles tossed his keys down and shrugged out of his coat. Alison was Miles’ fiancée. Adam had yet to meet her, feared it almost, though he’d heard good things. The blond kept his jacket on and his bag over his shoulder. Miles turned to him, noticing this. “Go ahead and make yourself at home.” He walked through the entryway into the living room to a door just outside the main hall. It was set away from everything else; the room Adam would be staying in.

“Are you sure it’s alright for me to be here?”

Miles just laughed. “Why wouldn’t it be?” It was his home, too and Alison wasn’t even there. Still, it made Adam uncomfortable. Things had changed while he was gone and not to his liking. “Anyway, there really isn’t anything to eat since I haven’t been to the store yet. You wanna grab some lunch?”

“Sure.”

Adam only had two suitcases with him, one of which Miles was holding. He set it in the corner of the room for the blond to tend to later. “Remember Mio’s?

Of course he did. They went there nearly every lunch break for three years – killer sandwiches. How could he forget? “Yeah,” Adam said with a half-hearted smile, nodding. He was just trying to get used to the fact that another person inhabited the apartment; someone other than him. That’s how it had been for 10 years.

~

Mio’s was crowded as always, but with a few new faces behind the counter. Miles ordered what he normally got; a turkey on white with everything but tomatoes. Adam got himself a tuna melt, no onions. He didn’t like the crunchy texture. He’d never been fond of the taste, either. Along with two sodas, they found a seat in the corner of the deli near the window that let up shortly after their orders came out.

As they dug into their sandwiches, the conversation was limited. It wasn’t until Adam finished half of his sandwich that he spoke up. He wiped his hands with a napkin and got a stray shred of tuna on his lip with the tip of his tongue. “So when do I get to meet Alison?”

Miles let out a heavy sigh. His last bite went down a little hard. “She’s been really, really busy lately. When she gets back, along with work, she’s got the wedding to deal with…” What he meant to say was that he wasn’t sure. “But she did tell me that she does want to meet you, so I’m sure it’ll be sometime next week; before the wedding, anyway.”

The ceremony was set to take place in a little less than 3 weeks, but Adam had only heard news of it about a month before his return. Their contact had been primarily through email and text messaging, but for this, Miles picked up the phone. His call had come as a bit of a surprise, but what he had to say was even more shocking. According to him, they had met just a few weeks after Adam left. Alison came in as a client and the two hit it off when she insisted on meeting Miles. In an e-mail, he’d sent a photo attachment of the two, smiling, happy; like a knife through his heart.

The more he thought about it, the less hungry he became. The other part of his sandwich was making him sick more than anything else. “I think I’m gonna get this to go,” Adam said and silently excused himself to run over to the counter. He just needed a minute to breathe. Fortunately, the worker behind the counter took a little while to find him a box. When he came back, Miles had finished his sandwich and was cleaning up their mess.

“That took a while,” he commented, sipping the last of his soda. Mio’s didn’t offer free refills.

“Yeah, they’re pretty busy.” He wrapped his sandwich up and set it neatly in the box. As good as it was, he knew he wouldn’t be able to eat the rest of it. They didn’t head right back to the apartment right away when they walked passed a furniture store.

“…Just peak,” Miles told him, nudging at his arm. Adam would have to get something sooner or later. He gave in quickly and followed the other inside, not really expecting to buy anything. It wasn’t as though the stuff in there was over priced. He’d only arrived back home a few hours ago and wasn’t looking forward to going through the motions of having to make himself comfortable again. To his surprise, he walked out with a receipt for a couch and a bed. They would be delivered by tomorrow between noon and six.

-

//…Floorboards creaked, not so subtly echoing through the hallway. For nearly an hour now he’d been lying awake in bed, hardly tired enough to fall asleep. After about the twenty-minute mark, he gave up completely. The small noise sounded just outside his door and suddenly the knob turned; a dim light spilled in. “…Adam?”

The blond sat up, propping himself on his elbows; Miles shadowy figure stood in the doorway, peaking into the room. He moved in and closed the door behind him.

“You awake?”

“Yeah…” In nothing but boxers and a t-shirt, Miles moved deeper into the room and sat at the edge of the bed. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine; can’t sleep,” he said and turned to look over his shoulder. “Looks like you can’t either.”

Adam lay back down and placed his hands over his chest. No, he couldn’t, but that was to be expected. “What’s on your mind?”

“Ah…I guess I’m just nervous.”

“Nervous?”

“About the wedding.”

“Isn’t that natural?”

“I don’t know,” Miles shrugged and let out a soft sigh. “It doesn’t feel natural. It feels…” Desperately, he searched for the right words, racking his brain. “…Wrong.”

Adam sat up again at this, propped on one elbows; curious. “Wrong?” he echoed; his brow furrowed.

“It sounds bad, I know, but…when I think about marrying Alison and spending the rest of my life with her, I start to freak out. Like, maybe I’m jumping into this for the wrong reasons.”

The room fell silent for a moment while Adam paused to soak in those words. Had he heard the man right?

Miles finally turned to face him. “Am I just being paranoid?”

“…I don’t know,” Adam replied, stumbling over his thoughts. He sat up straight this time. “I thought you were excited.”

“I am. Er, at least I thought I was. It’s just, now that you’re back, I’ve been thinking…”

“Thinking?”

“Yeah…” Miles bowed his head a bit in a coy manner. “I never told you this,” he chuckled a bit, shaking his head, “but…ever since we met I…guess I’ve grown more attached to you than I should have.”

“Wh-what?”

Miles turned a bit further this time, bringing a leg up onto the mattress and scooted closer. “Adam…” Miles was close enough to make the blond’s heart race. He didn’t move at the call of his name. There was really nowhere to go other than off the edge of the bed, but Adam only jumped when he felt a hand brazenly fall upon his knee. It did not stay there for long. The hand crept up his thigh, dangerously closing in on his groin.

Adam spoke up when he felt himself twitch. “Ahh…M-Miles…”

“Yes?” He could feel that hot breath against his mouth.

The words he wanted to say got stuck in his throat. He could not speak. His body trembled and his heart raced faster and faster. Miles lingered close enough that their lips were barely touching. If he moved even a millimeter closer they would be in a full on kiss, but the brunet did that for him; the hand on his thigh no longer took its time creeping upward. Before he could even realize what was happening, Miles lunged at him and Adam woke up
…//

He shot upright, frenzied, panting, eyes darting about the room looking for the man that had just been sitting on his bed. Miles wasn’t there, though. He wasn’t even in the room, apparently. It was just a dream; Adam told himself that, chanted it over in his mind and ran a shaky hand through his hair, taking a moment to just catch his breath. He hadn’t had a dream like that involving Miles for some time, but to have one with the brunet so close made it all the more awkward.

Still in a sleepy daze, Adam threw the blankets off and got out of bed. He needed to move around, needed to take his mind off of the strange and almost shameless dream. Part of him really did love Miles, and yet the other part had vowed to keep his mouth shut. Miles was getting married, after all. And as far as Adam knew, he was as straight as they came.

Out of his room and into the living area, Adam moved passed the couch and the coffee table, heading for the kitchen. He needed a glass of water, something to sooth the dryness in his throat. Bleary-eyed, he reached into the cupboard having remembered earlier during dinner where Miles said the glasses were, and pulled out a cup, filling it in the fridge dispenser. That water was cold. It was just what he needed.

He took it all in a few gulps and quietly set the cup into the sink. By then, he had calmed down enough to deem it safe to go back to bed, but the figure in the archway of the kitchen startled him. Adam jumped and nearly stumbled into the counter. “Jesus…” he breathed, holding onto the counter to steady himself, “scared the shit out of me.”

“Sorry…”

Miles rubbed at his tired eyes. His hair was tousled and so were his clothes. He’d obviously just rolled out of bed.

“I didn’t wake you?”

“I heard you shout,” he said, not bothering to stifle his yawn. He went for a cup too, filling it at the sink instead. “Did you have a nightmare or something?”

Nightmare? Hardly. “Yeah, I guess,” the blond agreed and left it at that.

“You guess? Must’ve been pretty nasty.” Miles finished his water and yawned again, setting his cup into the sink to wash later. “You okay? You don’t need me to sing you to sleep or anything?” he joked.

Adam gave a half-hearted laugh, sneering at the playful teasing before he turned and moved back through the living room. As much as he would have loved to participate in the frivolous repartee, he couldn’t really look at Miles; could hardly be in the same room. “Goodnight,” Adam hummed before retreating into the room, back to safety.
Sign up to rate and review this story