Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Consequences of a prepared mind

4

by freemaka 3 reviews

...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry - Published: 2010-09-08 - Updated: 2010-09-08 - 3207 words

5Original
AN: With this being my first fanfic of this genre I have so many ideas swarming around in my head. As such even though I like those super powered Harry fics, I don't want this to become one. I want to see how things would turn out if Harry applied a hard work ethic and the strengthening of the intelligence and magical prowess very rarely shown in the books. I believe that even if a person does not have an aptitude for a subject, working hard and applying themselves would always achieve good results. From the books Harry is not unintelligent and not under powered. I think the middling behaviour forced by the Dursley's treatment of him as well as trying to stay friends with Ron and not making himself stand out caused his lacklustre academic performance.

Thank you to all those who have reviewed. It really helps, especially any comments asking about the plot development, it keeps me thinking!


o0O0o

The trip back to Privet Drive was one of silence mostly, not because he didn't have any more questions, in fact for every question Professor Flitwick answered it seemed there were ten more. No, he was silent due to the slowly forming plan in his head. With a bit of luck, this would be the last time he ever had to see the Dursleys again. Professor Flitwick didn't insist on coming inside, just handed Harry a ticket with written instructions for the 1st of September. Once off the bus with his trunk, a lot easier due to inbuilt lightening charms, he turned around to wave goodbye, only to find the bus had already disappeared.

Thanking any Gods that were listening that the Dursleys were not yet home he wheeled his trunk to his cupboard door and started throwing everything and anything he thought he might want to keep in to the third compartment. Looking at the mess he shrugged and promised himself he would sort it out later. After making sure he had picked up the money he had saved (scrounged) he took a couple of notes and put them in his pocket before securely hiding it in the first compartment under his newly bought school robes, he locked his trunk and made his way to the kitchen. After writing a short note to his relatives, telling them about his Hogwarts letter and intention of never coming back, he left the note on the kitchen table. Locking the front door he posted the spare keys through the letter box. This was it, he thought, no going back.

Walking towards the local park, waiting for an appropriate amount of time before calling the Knight Bus again, he had a moment of panic when seeing a familiar car coming towards him. Not knowing how to avoid the coming confrontation and not seeing anything to hide behind, he fervently wished that they wouldn't notice him. With a tingle of magic that left him gasping the Dursleys car drove right on pass him with no reaction from the occupants. Not knowing how, and not really caring at this point in time, he grabbed his trunk and quickly made his way as fast as possible in the opposite direction to Privet Drive.

His room at the Leaky Cauldron was nice, especially if you had lived in a cupboard for as long as you could remember. The connected bathroom was an indulgence with a bath provided with numerous different bubble mixtures and a shower that sprayed water in all directions. The mirror that talked back was just a little bit freaky, but realising that there were many such idiosyncrasies in this new world, he was determined to experience as much as he could so he wouldn't be too far behind those that had lived there all their lives.

Making a list of things he wanted to do and the things he wanted to learn took a long time, but settled his thoughts enough to enjoy a healthy meal and an early bed time. He wanted to be up early tomorrow and start putting his plan into action. Who knew when someone would come to try and put him back with the Dursleys.

The next morning following a large but healthy breakfast (who knew why the Dursleys fried everything) he was set to start on his To Do List, starting with Gringotts. After the non hostile reception yesterday he felt slightly better about approaching one of the goblin tellers on his own.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering if I could see the manager to my vaults, or to make an appointment if he is too busy." After a second or two of being appraised by the teller he started to feel slightly uncomfortable, had he unknowing made some grievous faux pas?

"Name?"

"Potter" A raised eyebrow was the only indication of hearing the response.

"This way Mr Potter."

He really needed to find a way to stop people from sneaking up on him. Following the goblin that had magically appeared at his side (realising with a start it quite possibly was magic), he was led off one of the corridors next to those that led down to the vaults. He was waved through a thick looking wooden door to find an expensively decorated office. Behind a large ornate desk sat a very impressive looking goblin. Older looking than most goblins he had met, his teeth seemed sharper and his ears longer. Whether that was just differing facial features among the goblin race or representative of something was a thought pushed back for later consideration.

"Ah Mr Potter, I am Goblin Elder Snarktooth. I am in charge of your numerous vaults, holdings and investments. I have been expecting to meet with you for some time, though I have been reliably informed yesterday that you were not told of your inheritance or receiving you monthly statements?"

Sitting down in front of the massive table and listening to Snarktooth's greeting, he had the suspicion that there were undercurrents that he was missing and as of yet completely unaware of.

"No I was not aware of my inheritance. Before yesterday I was under the impression that my parents were destitute when they were killed in a car crash. Obviously this was not so. I was hoping that you would be able to explain how such a thing could happen, and what you are doing to ensure it never happens again."

Though grateful of the honesty with which he was being shown, he needed to make sure that this goblin didn't underestimate him. He wanted answers and he needed help, but first of all he needed discover whether this Snarktooth was trustworthy. An intense look followed this declaration lasting only a few seconds and yet it felt like a lifetime to the boy whose plans all hinged on finding some measure of cooperation.

"I assure you Mr Potter that we were unaware that your magical guardian had not informed you of such things, as is you legal right after the age of eight. I have prepared a list of all aspects of your inheritance for your perusal. Interest has accrued at above the national rate, though investments have stagnated slightly due to the limitations placed on the accounts after your parents died."

At this a thick stack of parchment was extended over the desk towards Harry.

"This is a summary?"

"Yes Mr Potter your account is one of the largest that Gringotts currently holds. As such please allow me to convey the Goblin Nations deep regret at the mishandling of your account."

The hint of nervousness in Snarktooth's voice as well as the extensive preparation that had been done in anticipation of his arrival made Harry assume that the apology was genuine.

"Thank you Goblin Elder Snarktooth. I accept your apology. I came here today hoping to find someone whom I could trust with such matters and I believe I have found that person. May I ask how long you have been in charge of the vaults; did you perhaps know my father?"

The acceptance of the apology and with such a manner of sincerity shocked the goblin for a moment, more so when such trust was expressed. For no human in the history of Gringotts, no matter how well meaning had ever treated the Goblins with such favour. Most would have taken that apology and used it for their own gains, as such it was very rare that the Goblins of Gringotts ever issued such an apology and it could have been disastrous if manipulated.

"Yes Mr Potter I did have the honour of meeting you father, your mother once as well during the finalising of their Will. I inherited the Potter accounts from my predecessor a few years before your father reached his majority. He was a good man and treated us Goblins better than most."

The wistful expression on the young heirs face allowed Snarktooth to draw his own conclusions. But he mentally added a note for Griphook to be rewarded, his quick thinking and use of intelligent questioning had saved the Gringotts from a rather large embarrassment, and if he was right, and it was very rare he was not, the Goblin Nation had just gained a new champion in the Boy-Who-Lived.

"Would I be able to see the Will Sir? I would like to know what it said."

"But of course Mr Potter. You should know that your magical guardian, as executor of the Will had it sealed after your parents' death for security reasons. The only way for us to show you the Will would be if you have directly asked for it."

With that statement a scroll made from luxurious parchment and bound by red and gold ribbons was handed over and Snarktooth left the office to allow his client some privacy.

Harry traced his finger over the wax seal. An intricately designed crest bore a creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle, the animal rising up on its hind legs. In the front two limbs a sword was held displayed with symbolic significance. Slowly peeling off the wax seal careful not to damage it, the parchment when unravelled bore a surprising gift.

Another envelope with his name on it had been included in the document. Scanning the will and getting confused in the legalese that all such documents seemed to be written in, the best he could make out was that in the event of both his parents dying all of their belongings, property, titles and wealth would revert to him. Placing it carefully on the desk top he turned to the letter.

My Dearest Son,

Happy Eighth Birthday.

Hopefully your father and I are sitting beside you, helping to explain all the boring legal aspects that are a part of life, while laughing at the morbid necessity of preparing for death at so young an age. But if we are not there next to you, then the Fidelius Charm has failed, we were betrayed by Peter, and Voldemort found us.

The Will in which you found this letter is a magically binding document. Everything that belonged to your father and I is now yours to do with as you wish. Some would say that you are too young for such responsibilities, but your father and I believe you will do us proud, and will use what resources that are available to you in the fight against the darkness.

I hate to place such a burden upon your shoulders my son but we are living in dark times, and though I believe Albus Dumbledore to be of the light, I fear that you will run afoul of his greatest weakness. For you see he can view people as pawns to be moved around the chessboard of life according to his views of 'the greater good'. I hope this warning is not needed, and that by now Voldemort is gone and you are happy and healthy.

If you need help, trust in Goblin Elder Snarktooth, he has pledged his assistance if you need it and his advice to us has always been sound.

In the Potter Hereditary Vaults your father and I have left journals and other things that will help you in our place.

Know that your father and I love you with all our hearts.

Your loving mother,

Lily Evans Potter

The words of his mother, for the first time seeing her handwriting and touching paper she herself had touched, was almost too much for a young boy of ten to deal with. And yet the fierce determination to make them proud wherever they may be, fought and won over the grief.

With exaggerated motions Goblin Elder Snarktooth entered his office, carrying with him two small ring boxes. Noticing the emotional state of the young heir he waited a moment to allow for some composure to be gained.

"As you will now be aware Mr Potter, everything has been left to you."

"Yes, my mother also wrote me a letter telling me to trust in you for help if I ever needed it. And so, I am asking for your help."

With a deep breath Harry revealed everything that had occurred over the past two days and his plans for the future. He finished with a question.

"Will you help me?"

"Yes Mr Potter I will. As the heir and last remaining member of the Potter family you are able to declare yourself an emancipated minor and as such, independent of normal age restrictions. This does not allow you to vote or gives you unrestricted access to your holdings, it does however make you free to choose where you live and you will be able to choose your own advisor who will act as a legal guardian. You will not be able to accept the title of Lord Potter until your fifteenth birthday, however you would have more control over your life and your finances. At the moment all such business is conducted through you magical guardian." A thoughtful pause ensued.

"And who is my magical guardian, and will they still have control over me?"

"Your magical guardian is Albus Dumbledore, as so stated in your parents Will. It is he who should have informed you of your inheritance and he who should have brought you to Gringotts on your eighth birthday for the traditional legal meeting with us. If you decide to declare yourself emancipated he will cease to have any involvement with you, aside from as your headmaster of course, unless of course you choose him as your advisor."

The smile on Snarktooth's face would have been scary if Harry knew it was directed at him.

"And what would you advise I do Goblin Elder Snarktooth?"

Rather a pointless question at this point in time, but for proprieties sake he wanted to make sure he had at least discussed other options.

"I would advise you to declare yourself emancipated, and then choose someone who you trust to take on the role of advisor. They must be of legal age in the Wizarding World and for no legal reason unable to act on your behalf.

"With regards to the Black inheritance, as part of accepting the position of godfather, Sirius Orion Black named you his heir apparent in the case of his fathering no heir of his own blood."

"He's dead?"

"No, he is in the maximum security ward of Azkaban Prison for betraying your parents to the Dark Lord."

Remembering his mother's letter he asked for more details. Unsurprisingly certain things didn't add up, especially when it was realised that no actual trial had been held. The ministry at the least was guilty of not following due process of the law. After reading the proffered letter Snarktooth promised that some of the best Gringotts lawyers would be put on the case. A wave of Snarktooth's hand and two boxes opened.

"In these boxes are the family rings. One of them is the Potter scion ring. Worn when an heir is not yet old enough to claim the full title of Lord Potter but is head of the family due to death or disqualification of the previous lord, it should be worn on you left ring finger. The House of Black Heir Apparent ring should be worn on your right little finger." As Snarktooth explained the correct positioning Harry withdrew each ring in turn and placed then on the indicated finger. Each resized and then settled comfortably.

"For safety reasons only you will be able to remove the rings, if the any of the rings are removed and for some reason not replaced within ten hours they will return to Gringotts where you would need to collect them personally after proving your identity. They can be made to be invisible if you do not wish to display your status. These family rings come from two of the oldest lines in the Wizarding World. As such each of them holds hereditary knowledge about the location, protections and functions of the family properties. All you need do is to think of a place while concentrating on the ring and the knowledge will be available. Such functions will only work for the Potter ring until access is granted by Lord Black."

"You made mention of the advisor position, I assume that as he is in prison my Godfather is not able to assume the role?"

"You are correct. I take it then that you will not wish to appoint Albus Dumbledore as your advisor?"

"After the mismanagement of the knowledge of my accounts and the exclusion of all knowledge of the Wizarding World while growing up I do not trust the man. I need an advisor as part of being emancipated?"

"No you do not. You need one to alter any of your investments or to transfer money from your hereditary vaults for such things as campaign donations or upgrades to your properties." At an arched eyebrow the unasked question was answered, nodding to the stack of parchment in his lap. "All properties are also included in your financial summary."

"So if I wished, I could become emancipated but without nominating an advisor? I don't suppose goblins are eligible?"

Snarktooth stifled the amused response when he saw the thoughtful look upon the young boys face.

"No Mr Potter they are not. It must be a wizard, fully qualified at that."

"I will think on it. Perhaps you could look into improving those investments that we were talking about in anticipation of me finding someone I trust enough?"

"Of course. Now to fully become emancipated you must sign the following."

And with that the rest of the morning flew by as parchment upon parchment was placed in front of him. During the explanations of what he was signing Harry had a crash course in Wizarding finances and government. Such things as magically binding contracts and Wizards Oaths became incorporated into his vocabulary. Determined to be responsible and prove the trust placed in him by his parents, he wanted to make sure he knew everything that he needed to manage his affairs in a competent manner without becoming completely dependent on anyone for advice.
Sign up to rate and review this story