Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Halls of Hogwarts

the beginning

by jjbro 0 reviews

In the summer before his sixth year Harry reflects on what's happened in years gone by as well as what the future holds.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2010-10-15 - Updated: 2010-10-17 - 2437 words - Complete

1Original
Harry Potter and the Halls of Hogwarts
Chapter 1- The Beginning

Harry woke at ten am that morning to the drilling of a lot of owls on his widow. Wiping sleep and grime from his half shut eyes he stumbled his way towards the window where as he opened it a peck of indignant owls made their way into the room hooting and chirping taking up any space they could.

"Arghh!" he growled, making his way to the bed, "Do you have to be so loud"

He took a feeble swipe at an owl already occupying his bed, earning nothing more then a nip on the back of his hand.

"Fine," He said, "Have the bed. What are you lot here for anyway?"

As if on cue the dopey owl Harry recognised as Errol stuck out his leg from which Harry took not 1, but 3 letters he noticed from Hermione, Ron and Ginny.
As soon as his letters were removed Errol used the last of his strength to jump into Hedwig's cage, where having recovered from her surprise of all these owls in her home, she looked at him as if he were something utterly repulsive.
This made Harry laugh, Hedwig had never really liked Errol, she was a very posh owl, before he realised that was probably one of the first times he had laughed since he had got back to the Dursley's house.

Thinking of why he hadn't laughed for so long, Harry's mind flicked back to the Department of mysteries, watching as Sirius, eyes wide in shock, fell back into the veil. He thought of how he could have stopped his dying if he had just used the mirrors, how he was to blame for Sirius's death, if he had just stopped and listened to Hermione it would've been OK. He would have been alive.

Gathering the letters and parcels of the remaining owls Harry ushered them out the window, apart from Errol and Hedwig, before flopping down onto his bed, sobbing into the covers. He cried till he could cry no more before sinking into a troubled sleep.
Waking up at two o' clock, Harry saw the door had been opened and knew that Aunt Petunia had been into his room. She hadn't bothered to wake him, as had become the fashion at number 4 Privet drive. Since their meeting with the order members his Aunt and Uncle had been ignoring him like their lives depended on it which, considering their fear of all things magical, they probably thought did.

Stretching and rolling onto his back, Harry wiped the dried tears of the morning's events off his face. Slowly considering what to do with his day, he decided to read and answer the messages his friends had sent him. Slipping open the drawer he had put them in, he pulled out the letters and gifts and decided to read Hermione's first.

Dear Harry,
I hope your okay, sorry that was stupid of course your not, we all miss Snuffles Harry, BUT IT WASN'T YOUR FAULT. If it was anybody's fault it was you-kn- I mean Voldemort's. Don't do anything stupid Harry we love you too much.
At the moment I am at the HQ with the Weasleys, it's not that fun too many memories you know, Ron's been really beating himself up he blames himself for snuffles. He's being thick and saying if he hadn't been caught by the brain-squid thing he would have been able to help, I told him no one blames him, but he wont listen he's so depressed.
Anyway Harry happy 16th birthday its so cool we can do magic now I've been practicing my spells and Ginny's using her magic at every occasion just like Fred and George last year. Honestly, she can be really annoying. Anyway I hope you enjoy your present, I got the idea from The Marauders Map, maybe it could help us to take notes for our NEWTs and so forth
With all my love, Hermione
P.S We're trying to get Dumbledore to let you come over or visit

Reading Hermione's letter Harry's face changed from sad to shock then happy then finally angry. Why did he need Dumbledore's permission, he had no right to tell him what to do not anymore, legally he wasn't even his guardian. If it weren't for Dumbledore Sirius would still be alive, he had no right to keep that prophecy from Harry. He should have told him Voldemort would be after it from the start, let him know what it was about, tell him Voldemort would do just about anything to get it back. Dumbledore had probably been keeping things from Harry, things he needed to know, for as long as he could remember by telling evasive half-truths.
Looking for the parcel Hermione had given him, he took his anger out on the undeserving wrapping paper, the way the paper just molded itself to his attempts to crush it made him acutely aware of his impotence. He despondently looked at his present, true to form it was book.

"Well at least Hermione hasn't been changed by any of this" he mused reading the title and blurb. It was a guide to charming maps and parchments diaries and spells of sorts. It promised to turn you from a spell casting zero to an object enchanting hero. In ten easy steps it would teach you spells to charm objects to eat ink and reply, make magical maps, and create ensouled diaries, bracelets and rings.

"Well, that'll come handy sometime..." He mumbled trailing off as he tried to think of any use he could put this book to, he came up blank.
Thinking of writing a reply to thank Hermione for her letter and gift he sat down taking out a parchment and quill, then put the quill back and pulled out a biro, having to repeatedly re-dunk the quill in his ink pot, had REALLY got on his nerves in the last 5 years. He wrote:

Dear Hermione,
Thanks for your concern, and for your gift and letter it was really touching, I can't say I've quite come to terms with Snuffles being gone, but I think I'm coping better with his death. I think what's really hurt me is that we still have to say his 'secret' his name and how he couldn't even have a proper funeral or be told as the hero he was when he was fighting Bellatrix. I just think he's worth so much more then what we could give him.
Another Question I've got for you is what are you talking about saying Ginny and you are doing magic? Is it because you're in the HQ or has the age limit been 16, and for the last few years I've been stuck thinking it was 17, but that still doesn't explain Ginny,
Thanks for the book I saw it and thought of a few things I could use it for when we get back to Hogwarts (or before if you explain the magic thing). Please stop Ron from blaming himself its not his fault, don't let him do anything stupid either. We will all be at the Hogwarts Express this September ok!
From
Harry

Next, Harry opened Tonks letter which was also from Remus, He hoped something was happening there, they would make a good couple he thought, maybe he could use Fred, George and Ginny's pranking skills to pull one over on an old Marauder. He looked at their presents. One (from Tonks) a book on concealment and disguise and another (from Remus) a book on both Occlumency and Legilimency which were apparently so intertwined, to be taught properly they should be taught together like e.g. attack and defence, peace and war, dark and light they were told to be two halves of the same galleon. Harry had lots of ideas on these two books and sat avidly reading both for hours before remembering to reply and the read the others. This year he also got one from Neville and one from Luna, he hoped Neville liked the gift Harry had gotten him, a kind of coupon sort of thing for Ollivanders Which would take the money out of Harry's vault to pay for Neville's new wand.

Writing a quick reply to Luna and Neville, He opened their gifts. They were interesting, to say the least. Luna had given him a year's subscription to The Quibbler as well as one of their summer editions with a hugely distorted version of the battle of the 'Ministry of Mayhem' which involved fudge the goblin slayer, a group of time babies and some sort of super sized crumple-snorked-flipmahdoodle thing that turned into Voldemort part way through. It made Harry laugh.
Neville's was just as disturbing, although not as funny, it seemed to be some sort of plant like a sunflower for a head amd lianas for arms which screamed when he didn't stroke it, and purred whenever he watered it (Neville had included instructions).
Next he moved on to Ron's present which seemed to be some sort of special owl treat for Hedwig, which he broke in half for her and Errol, and a tattered book on chess with which Ron hoped Harry would become some sort of challenge.

Dear Harry,
I'm so sorry, I hate myself I should have been able to help you with Sirius, I don't know if you'll ever forgive me for what I did to you and Sirius. I should have been kicked out the moment I got home I'm no friend, even when the brain was attacking me, even though I was kinda dazed, their was still a little part of me who worked. I should have gone and helped.
If you never want to speak to me again or want to give me the gift, crap though it is, back I understand.
I'm so sorry I hate myself I've still got the welts on my arms from the brain and I've stopped taking the pain potion for what I did.
I hate myself Harry I'm so sorry; I don't deserve to be your friend.
Ron.

The parchment was stained from water drops as if a bit of rain had hit it or as if...someone had been crying while they wrote.
Harry was shocked how bad was Ron's condition, especially now he'd stopped taking the pain potion.

Oh my god, Ron,
How could I ever be angry at you, you're the best friend anyone anywhere could ever have. It's not your fault and never be mad at yourself. Start taking the pain potion again. Don't do anything stupid if you ran off or died, how could I live, how could Hermione, you'd be killing us Ron.
Please let us help Ron. Next time were together lets play a quick game of chess. I can whoop your ass as you see all the new things I'll have learnt from your gift. If your still blaming yourself when I see you next I'll thump you. Writing this to you is helping me work through the same feelings and I realise: sometimes in life bad things happen. We didn't go in there seeking to harm Sirius, we went to save him. It should be like our magic. Intent should be everything.
With all my love
Harry.

Taking out Ginny's letter and present he quickly wrote a thank you to her for her gift, a brilliant charmed bracelet so he could find her wherever she went, and asked her to keep and extra close eye on Ron this summer. He also told her that next time he saw her he had a mission for her, Fred and George. Finally he came to his last letter, his Hogwarts letter.
Opening the seal he turned it upside down and watched as three letters and a smooth shiny badge tumbled gracefully onto his lap. Picking it up his heart skipped a beat as he saw the shiny emblem of the Quidditch captain emblazoned over the Gryffindor lion before he placed it reverently on the bedside table.

Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry:
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin; first class, Supreme Mugwump of the international confederation of Wizards, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot)

Dear Mr Potter,
As your deputy head mistress I hope you are looking forward to another year at Hogwarts, with your new OWL results we hope you will continue to work hard to get grades in your NEWTs that will reflect the standard of learning here at Hogwarts,

It is my pleasure to give you the results of your owls here at Hogwarts.
Transfiguration: Exceeds Expectations 
Charms: Exceeds Expectations 
Defence Against The Dark Arts: Outstanding 
Potions: Exceeds Expectations 
Astronomy: Acceptable 
Herbology: Exceeds Expectations 
Care Of Magical Creatures: Exceeds Expectations 
Divination: Exceeds Expectations 
History of Magic: Terrible 

OWL Results for Mr. H. Potter
Total: Twelve Owls

As you have received an admirable 8 Owls, below is a form for you to choose the lessons you will take for your next two years. Please circle any lessons you wish to take and a reply will be sent for the books you need for the classes selected.
Yours truly,
Minerva McGonagall
(Deputy Headmistress)

“Eight O.W.Ls" said Harry exhaling, He quickly circled all lessons he had an owl in, apart from divination 'how on earth did he get an E?' and added his owl results to all his letters but Ron's. He tied Tonks & Remus letter's to Hedwig along with the school letter and tied Ron's, Ginny's, and Hermione's letters to Errol and letting them fly off.

Harry was a bit hurt that he hadn't got a letter from his big friend Hagrid. But was not put out that much as he was probably very busy with Grawp or other giants this summer.
Looking over at his clock Harry saw it was seven 'o clock, realising he hadn't eaten all day, as his stomach betrayed him and rumbled loudly.
Getting up of his bed Harry made his way to the door wondering what was for tea, he hoped his letters would get to his frien-

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH." A long scream from his Aunt echoed up the steps, as Harry pounded down them getting just as the sound of smashing glass cut through his hearing like a saw. While from the kitchen the screaming got louder and louder. Bangs and echoes were heard, and he heard his Uncle's distinctive bellow.

What if it was a Death Eater or crook or a burglar or a murderer? Where was his wand!? Where was his wand?!

Harry pounded into the kitchen to see...
Sign up to rate and review this story