Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Faring Well

Chapter 6

by whoah-that 5 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Angst - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2010-10-26 - Updated: 2010-10-26 - 1334 words

5Ambiance
“So Gerard,” the blonde girl said, rocking back and forth on her heels in a way that made her pelvis sway back and forth seductively. “I haven’t seen you around at parties in a while. How’s it going?”

“It’s going good,” Gerard said, looking around awkwardly, trying not to stare at her lower torso. “How are you, Natalie?” He had regretted agreeing to go to the party the minute they’d arrived. The loud music, screaming from inside, and teenagers rushing in and out of the front door and back yard had unsettled him, and he’d wanted to turn around and go home.

“I’m good. I miss talking to you. We were pretty close, right?” As a matter of fact, Gerard had never really spoken much to Natalie. Sure, they’d talked, but they hadn’t been good friends, or anything.

“I guess…but, you know, we still go to the same school…” Gerard desperately wanted to walk away.

“Yeah,” Natalie said, continuing her rocking. “But it’s not really the same, y’know?“ She sipped from a cup Gerard assumed to be some kind of alcohol. Alcohol. He’d stopped drinking soon after getting Mikey. That hadn’t been tough, since he only really drank at parties, and he’d stopped going out after gaining guardianship. However, seeing the drink in Natalie’s hand made his throat feel dry, and his taste buds hanker for a sip.

“Yeah, I guess…” he said absent-mindedly. Over the blonde girl’s shoulder, he noticed Harper standing across the room. “Hey, I think I see Harper calling me over. I’ll talk to you later, Natalie.” With that, he made a hasty escape, slipping through the crowd of people to get to his friend.

Upon closer inspection, Harper was deep in conversation with Bob Bryar. No wonder Gerard had gotten lost from his friends. They’d seemed to disappear the moment the group had walked in the door.

“Hey, Harper,” he said, trying to get her attention.

“Gerard!” she said, a bit too loudly. “Here, try this! It’s so good!” Harper was obviously already a bit tipsy. He took a gulp out of the drink she offered, gagging on the bitter taste.

“It tastes like straight vodka!” he choked, taking a step back. Harper nodded proudly, knocking back what was left of the alcohol.

“Whee!” she sang happily once the cup was drained of its contents.

“Be careful with her,” Gerard murmured to Bob, who laughed and nodded. Gerard walked off to find Ray, hopefully not as inebriated as Harper was.

“Gerard!” The boy cringed. He remembered why he did not like parties. “Gerard!” the voice called once more. Sighing, the teenager turned around, finding himself face-to-face with another classmate. This was…oh, what was his name? Gerard racked his memory…he knew the face…

“Hey…Bert! Bert, what’s up?” He plastered on a fake smile, waving awkwardly.

“Ha! Can’t believe you remembered me, man! Haven’t seen you in, like, forever.” This kid seemed to be even more drunk than Harper had been.

“Yeah. Listen, let’s catch up later, man. I have to go…” Gerard trailed off, winding his way through the crowd, trying to lose Bert. He was having one too many run-ins with former boozing-buddies, and he didn’t like it. That was a kid that he’d been once…but now he’d changed…right? He wasn’t like that anymore. He had Mikey to think of, to care for, to stay dry for…

“Ray!” Finally, Gerard spotted a head of red, curly hair through the crowd of people. “Ray!”

“Gerard!” Ray turned, enveloping his friend in a tight bear-hug. He smelled strongly of booze. “You having fun?”

“Tons,” Gerard replied dryly. “Listen, I’m just gonna take my car and go home, okay?”

“No! C’mon, Gee, you have to stay. Just for a bit.” Ray slung his arm around the other boy’s shoulder, pulling him in close. He picked up an abandoned and half-empty cup from the table, thrusting it into his friend’s hands. “Drink this. You’ll loosen up.”

“No, really--” Gerard was cut off by the bitter contents of the cup being sloshed down his throat. “Bleh!” He coughed, bending over to expel the alcohol that had gone down his windpipe. He stood back up, glaring at Ray. He was about to say something, perhaps chastise his friend for being an asshole, but he was saved by the vibrating of his cell phone in his pocket. “Hello?” he half-yelled into the receiver, trying to be heard over the noise of the party.

“Gerard?” It was Billy’s mother. “Gerard? Can you hear me?”

Gerard escaped onto the patio, his finger shoved in the ear that wasn’t pressed against the phone. “Yes, sorry. I’m…at a restaurant. I’m out now, though. Is Mikey okay?”

“I’m afraid not. He got a little sick.”

“Oh, God, I’m so sorry. I didn’t even notice that. Did he make a mess?”

“No, he made it to the sink in time, but I think he needs to be picked up.”

“Right. Right, of course. I’ll be right over.” Gerard hung up, inexplicably grateful for the excuse to leave the party. He decided that weaving his way back through the party would be safer than trying to maneuver to the front yard in the dark, so he delved once more into the crowd, getting pushed up against many strangers and making many mumbled apologies.

One boy in particular stood out to Gerard. The stranger was walking in the opposite direction that Gerard was headed, his elbow catching on the other teen’s chest, sending the cup of beer in his hand spilling all over the both of them and tumbling to the floor.

“Hey, I’m sorry,” the boy said, bending over and picking up the cup. He tried to use his own shirt to clean off the other’s, but Gerard just chuckled politely.

“It’s fine, really,” he said, grabbing the boy’s hand to still it. “This shirt’s pretty old, anyway.” When Gerard looked up from the stain on his shirt into the boy’s face, his immediate reaction was to grin broadly, forgetting that people normally spoke to each other, as opposed to staring with a goofy smile. He had hazel eyes and black hair, and a tongue ring that he was compulsively clicking against his teeth. “I’m Gerard,” he said finally, holding out his hand, then realizing he was still clutching the fingers of the dark-haired boy.

“Frank,” the kid said, returning the smile, slipping his hand out of Gerard’s grasp. Despite himself, Gerard had to admit that the boy was very attractive. Not that he found boys attractive. But…this one was. He just…was. “Right…well, I’ll see you around,” the boy continued, beginning to turn away. “Sorry again about the shirt.”

Gerard nodded slowly, murmuring an absent-minded “Mhmm…” His eyes followed Frank until he was out of sight, disappearing into the crowd. He snapped out of his reverie after a moment, giving himself a good shake before making his way to the front door.


Surprisingly enough, this only took about six or so days to get up. I'm pretty proud of myself, considering it can take weeks before I even start writing the next update, let alone actually post it. Did I not tell you that Frank would be introduced in good time? I probably didn't, actually...but that's not the point. He's here, now, you just have to wonder how he's going to develop as a character as we continue on with our story. Remember, readers: patience is a virtue. If all the action had happened in the first chapter, there'd be nowhere to go with the story. So patience. While you're being patient, go comment and subscribe. I'll post as soon as possible. OverAndOutxx
Sign up to rate and review this story