Categories > Games > Fire Emblem > Prideful Love

Ch9

by Saicha6744 0 reviews

Category: Fire Emblem - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2010-12-01 - Updated: 2010-12-01 - 1639 words - Complete

0Unrated
Disclaimer see ch1

******

Chapter 9 : Reflect

Rebecca no longer counted the days since they arrived in Bern. Passage of time was simply marked by ongoing battles with intermitted periods of rest.
Her heart was aching, begging her to gaze upon Raven's handsome face again. She refused to listen to her heart. After all listening to her heart got her into this mess, didn't it?

She overheard Raven and Priscilla talking a few days ago. The young troubadour addressed Raven as "lord Brother", which Rebecca found extremely weird. After talking to Serra and Sain (they were the main carriers of gossip) and overhearing a conversation between Raven and Lucius she finally pieced together reality.

Raven was a noble.

Priscilla was his sister.

Lucius was Raven's vassal.

The sniper (Mark had recently given Rebecca an Orion's Bolt) shook her head sadly. And to think that she asked Lady Louise to help her become more refined!! Naturally Lady Louise said there was nothing wrong with the way she was. That she was a lovely girl. Her request to Pent's wife came before she knew the truth about Raven...or rather Raymond.

Strangely enough everything about him made sense now. The way he carried himself, never doubted himself...even the regal air he emanated. Rebecca closed her eyes, feeling beyond depressed and confused. He would never love her. She was just a commoner. Just stupid little Rebecca.

That's just as well... Rebecca decided. Eventually I'll forget him. I'll forget that I love him. I'll forget that kiss...
A small blush dusted her cheeks at the memory. Shaking her head she tried desperately to forget about that kiss. The way his hands held her close...how safe she felt...

STOP IT!!! He doesn't love you, Idiot!! She mentally screamed. Why did I have to fall for him so fast?

She sighed. Her attention snapped back to the present. They were high in Bern's mountains looking for the Fire Emblem. That little stone was critical in the coming-of-age ceremony that would be held in a few days' time for the prince or Bern. Only after they retrieved the Fire Emblem would Queen Helene reveal the location of the Shrine of Seals.

Sighing again Rebecca decided that she would talk to her brother. Today was his birthday.


'Lord Raymond?'

Raven did not bother to look over his shoulder. He'd recognize that voice just about anywhere.

'Lucius, still under the weather?' Raven asked as he continued to shuffle along in the snow.

'No, I am feeling fine. Lady Lyndis, Lord Hector and Eliwood have all been very kind to me. I actually feel my health returning!'

'Something you want to say to me then? It is about Ostia isn't it?' Raven could not hide the bitter tone in his voice.

'How did you...never mind. Is there no way that your mind can be changed?' Lucius asked knowing full-well that Raven would not change his mind come hell or high water.

Raven shook his head as he remembered the day when Hector saved his life. Could he disregard Hector's selfless actions and still take revenge?
Deep in his heart he knew that he could not. He was in Hector's debt now.

'Lucius go home.'

'Whhaaattt?' the incredulous monk nearly yelled. How could Raymond do this to him?!

'I said go home.'

'Why? Am I such a burden to you? Is that it? Well fine! I'll have you know that I've been watching over you since the day you were born! You can't just tell me to go home! You can't!' Lucius huffed, feeling rather out of breath.

'Calm down. Like a child you are...did you forget that you are older than me?' Raven hissed in frustration. He hated it when Lucius freaked.

'I'm sorry. I just don't understand why you are sending me away all of a sudden. Did I do something wrong?'

'I don't want to lose the rest of my family...' Raven stubbornly admitted.

The monk smiled. He knew this was as much of a confession that Raven would ever make. 'Do not worry, Lord Raymond. I am quite skilled in looking after myself. I won't die on you just yet.'

Raven remained silent. Lucius was the only family he had left. Priscilla was as good as dead. She had her adopted family. He would not interfere...besides he hardly knew her anymore.

The battle with Kenneth went surprisingly fast. Mark proved once again that he was invaluable to the army. Instead of battling Kenneth head-on Mark sent Matthew and Leagult to steal the Fire Emblem. Once the Emblem was safe Kenneth was easily defeated.

On the way back to the Royal Palace Raven walked slowly lingering behind the army. He wanted to think.
Raven joined the army with the soul purpose to destroy Hector, but he had a change of heart since then. The blue-haired noble proved to be a man of his word and one of great courage. Raven knew that killing Hector would cause Ostia to hunt him down and kill him. Fear of death did not change Raven's mind. The Hero lived on the knife-edge of life and death every day. In battle one wrong move or late parry could end him.
No, it was not the fear of death or even Hector's selfless act to save him. It was a combination of Lucius' insistent nagging and Rebecca.

Mostly Rebecca.

Raven found that his troubles just melted away whenever he gazed on the emerald-haired sniper. Her cheerful smile and bright eyes captivated him and reduced his burning anger to nothing. He did not feel guilty about kissing her anymore. He'd do it again if he got the opportunity.

'There you are. I've been looking all over for you.'

Raven snapped out of his thoughts to see Rebecca walk next to him. His heart jumped at the sight of her.

'I've been meaning to talk to you.'

'Me first,' Rebecca quickly said.

Raven cocked a brow. Something was wrong. She did not even look him in the eye! Instead she had her head bowed like a...a servant.
Before Raven could say anything Rebecca started talking.

'Look...that other night in Nabata....I did not mean to lead you on or anything...' Rebecca's cheeks were flushed and her voice shaky, but she kept her gaze on her feet.

'You didn't. Rebecca, where are you going with this?' Raven questioned. He was getting slightly angry with Rebecca's submissive attitude. What happened to the spirited archer that captivated him?

'I...uh....heard that you were a....unh....' her voice dropped and Raven could not hear the last part of her sentence.

'A what?'

'N-N-Noble...I-I am s-sorry i-if I've offended y-you, l-lord R-Raymond....' Rebecca stuttered in fear and stopped in her tracks.

Raven felt his heart drop to his boots. Now he knew why she acted so strangely. What shocked him most was that she called him by his former name.

'You sound like Lucius,' he said bitterly, turning to face her.

Rebecca's head dropped even lower as she took half a step backwards. Awkward silence filled the air between them. They were far behind the main army now, but neither of them dared to move. It was like time itself froze between them.

'Rebecca...' Raven whispered and reached to touch her face. A knife plunged through his heart when she took a trembling step backwards leaving his hand suspended in midair.

'Why are you afraid of me? Did I wrong you in some way?'

When Rebecca did not answer he reached out and pulled her close. She did not resist him or embrace him. She merely stood like a lifeless doll in his arms. He cupped her face and forced her to gaze into his ruby eyes. What he saw only served to pain him further.

'Then what is it?' Raven questioned. His voice was gentle, but laced with hurt. Rebecca cringed at the broken and defeated sound of his voice.

She stood completely still, gazing into his ruby orbs. As much as she wanted to tell Raven that thoughts of him occupied her mind constantly...Rebecca found that she could not. She was afraid. Not of Raven in person, but what he saw in her. She did not deserve his affections. She was just a plain country maid.

He was a noble.

He deserved better.

'Do you doubt me?' Raven asked softly, snapping her out of her reverie.

'Only what you see in me...' Rebecca finally said. Her gaze never left his and she felt lost in his ruby eyes. 'I'm just a commoner...I-I don't have any titles or manners...' she continued, finally speaking her mind to him. All the while she was spell-bound by his eyes.

He placed a finger over his lips to silence her feeling them tremble beneath his soft touch.

'Whoever said I wanted those things?' Raven asked sternly.

'...b-but y-you're n-noble...' Rebecca stuttered lamely.

'My title died with House Cornwell.' Raven stated simply and inched his head closer to Rebecca.

His lips brushed against Rebecca's cheek causing her to inhale sharply. One arm wrapped around her waist whilst the other went around her shoulders. Slowly he made his way to her mouth, leaving lingering kisses over her cheek and jaw.
Rebecca jumped away as if his touch became electrically charged.

'What's wrong?'

'T-this...I-I'm sorry...' Rebecca stuttered as she ran away. Raven stared at her retreating form in utter confusion.

Perhaps she needs time... he thought as he slowly made his way back to the main army.


******

Sorry for the long delay in updating.
Life happened.
That's all I'm going to say.
Sign up to rate and review this story