Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Cherry Blossom

Carry That Weight

by Moribund 3 reviews

If you go down to the graves tonight, you better be ready for a fright, because ghosts and ghoulies are waiting there, and other nasty things that scare.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2010-12-06 - Updated: 2010-12-06 - 1254 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Rain pelted the grey, lifeless streets of New Jersey, causing them to sheen and glisten when the sun would occasionally break through the cloud. It was classic April showers. Frank sat at his desk, staring out of the grimy classroom windows. Gerard had been curiously quiet the past few days, and even Mikey, who was normally so upbeat, offered only one word answers and barely met his eye. Even Frank was feeling down; his duties as a mediator kept him late most nights, meaning he was almost constantly grumpy. But despite this, he always made an effort.

“Hey Mikes!” He called across the hallway, “You wanna catch a movie this afternoon?”

Mikey did not turn around when Frank appeared at his side.

“No.”

“But the weather’s awful and we haven’t hung out in ages; it’s the perfect recipe for a movie night.”

“Can’t.” Mikey chucked his books into his locker and slammed it shut, causing Frank to jump.

“Why not?” pouted Frank.

Mikey paused before speaking, “There’s somewhere I need to be; someone that I need to talk to.” He whispered lowly.

“You can talk to me...”

“No I can’t!” snapped Mikey, and stormed off, leaving Frank in the middle of the empty hallway, confused, hurt, and alone.

-8-8-8-

When Frank got home, Gerard was waiting for him, but he did not have the warm welcome with him that Frank had hoped for. Instead Gerard told him that there was somewhere he had to be, and so couldn’t spend the night with Frank. A chaste kiss on the lips was all that the small mediator received before his ghostly boyfriend disappeared. Not long after that, Juliette appeared to inform him that he was allowed the night off.

And that is why Frank is now following his best friend down a dimly lit street late at night. Every few yards, Frank would duck behind a bush or wall to avoid being spotted. The rain was pouring down again as Mikey reached his destination; the cemetery. Frank hesitated before shaking his head; he was not frightened of cemeteries; that would be ridiculous.

Scampering across the street, Frank slipped through the opening between the wrought iron gates. He spotted Mikey a few metres away, weaving through the headstones towards the newer section, where the more recent burials were. Again, Frank followed behind his friend, hiding behind a gravestone every few metres.

Squinting into the darkness, Frank could make out the shimmering auras around several silhouettes that indicated to him that they were ghosts. As time went by, Frank’s powers had developed and were steadily becoming stronger. He made a mental note to check in with these spirits at a later date, before noticing Mikey had stopped moving, and was crouched in front of a dark granite tombstone. Frank edged closer, curiosity begging to see what his friend was doing. From his bag, Mikey pulled out a glass, a board with various markings on it, and a single white lily. Setting the board out in front of him, Mikey placed the glass upside down in the centre.

“Open.”

The simple command from Mikey caused a wave of what appeared to be white smoke to spread out from where the young man sat, in a ripple effect. As Mikey paid no attention to this, Frank assumed he was unable to see it. Mikey parted his lips to speak again.

“If there are any spirits present, please make yourselves known.”

The smoke rushed back towards Mikey, bringing with it several ghosts that Frank could not see properly from his position. One ghost came forward to state their presence; the sight of whom caused Frank to freeze, unsure of whether his eyes were deceiving him. The ghost extended a thin, pale finger to push the glass over to ‘hello’, a small, sad smile on their lips. Mikey smiled slightly, hopefully.

“Gerard?”

“GERARD?!” Frank cried, jumping to his feet as both ghost and boy whipped their heads round to stare, shocked, at him.

“What the fuck Frank?” Mikey hissed.

The young mediator dashed through the headstones to fall down between his best friend and boyfriend.

“How do you know Gerard?” asked Frank, shocked.

“Frank don’t, you’ll just make things complicated.” Growled Gerard.

“I could ask you the same thing!” retorted Mikey to Frank’s question.

“Yeah, well, I asked first.” Pouted Frank, knowing how Mikey’s argument rules worked, they weren’t best friends for nothing.

A distant rumble of thunder could be heard as Mikey’s face darkened, and he simply pointed to the gravestone that he sat facing. Turning his head, Frank read the words etched into the granite slab.


Gerard Arthur Way
1977-1994
Son, Brother, Gift to us all. Taken too soon, remembered forever.
R.I.P.


Frank sat shocked, stock still.

“Brothers?”

Mikey nodded his head sadly, fingertips still resting on top of the glass that connected him to his beloved brother.

“Frank” interjected Gerard “please, the trouble this is gonna cause, I didn’t tell you ‘cause-”

“How do you know Gerard?” asked Mikey, his voice hoarse “he died five years ago.”

Swallowing hard, Frank looked between the two brothers; both were staring intently at him with the same hazel brown eyes, both silently asking him for something different from him; one the truth, the other to conceal it.

“I see him.”

Mikey’s brow furrowed in confusion and Gerard’s went skyward in panic.

“But he’s dead.” whispered Mikey.

“He’s a ghost, I see ghosts; so I see him.”

Shocked, Mikey leant back, sitting on his heels. He picked up the lily with his free hand, turning it around in his fingers to admire its beauty. Gerard stared at his little brother, gauging his reaction, hoping for the best.

“How long?” Mikey’s voice was barely audible as he still stared at the delicate flower in his hand.

“’bout a month.” Frank scratched the back of his neck nervously. “Maybe longer, I had trouble telling them apart at first.”

Mikey nodded silently, slowly. He fidgeted a bit, as if unsure whether to ask the next question.

“Is he here?” Mikey’s voice wobbled.

Looking to Gerard, who was staring intently at his baby brother, Frank wondered how his life had come to this. Only a few weeks ago he was a close to normal, hormonal, upbeat teenager. Now he was in love with a dead man, battling evil spirits by night, and now had to serve as serve as the telephone between two brothers who stood on either side of death.

Frank took a deep inhalation of breath.

“Yes.”

Two glistening brown eyes blinked up at him, begging to be told.

“He’s right in front of you.”

The tearful orbs spun round to gaze, unfocused, at the mentioned space. Gerard bit his lip nervously, battling with himself not to tackle his little brother with a much needed hug. Frank looked between the two, wishing he could join the separated worlds. But alas, the rain poured down, the brothers cried silently for each other, and the young mediator could do nothing but watch.

Alone in the shadows of a crumbling tomb; a pale figure stood, scratching down notes as they watched the three boys. The figure smiled as they looked at Frank through a telescope inscribed with an array of symbols on its dull black surface.

“The boy’s powerful; we’ll have no problems.” The pale stranger chuckled to themselves.
Sign up to rate and review this story