Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Darkness Of Flashbacks

Insufficient Answers

by AlexandraSweden 4 reviews

Jared gets a visit from his mother who gives him an offer and a promise. In his flashbacks, Jared discovered that the second girl has been found dead after one of their shows.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [!] [V] [X] - Published: 2011-04-09 - Updated: 2011-04-09 - 1562 words - Complete

1Exciting
- Tell me, would you kill to save a life? -

May 28th, 2007

Jared still smelt like cupcakes, and had some stains of flour on red prisoner's suit, as he entered the usual therapy room. Strangely enough, Valentino hadn't been the one leading him there to his afternoon session. Another guard, whose name Jared hadn't registered, was the person escorting him.
Just like all the other guards he was a breathing mountain of pumped up muscles. But this guard, unlike Valentino, had tufts of actual hair on his head and was a bit shorter than Jared.
The short guard had snuff underneath his upper lip and his mouth didn't wear even the slightest trace of a smile. Jared wondered why Valentino wasn't there but figured that he deserved a day off from the madhouse as well.

Jared walked into the room, where Micha sat on her wide bottom, slowly. His rustling suit was getting so big on him that it was hard for him to move around normally without getting his limbs lost in the amounts of cheap red fabric. Micha gestured for the short guard with the face of stone to stay right where he was.
Jared walked towards the chair which he usually sat on several hours every day during his sessions with Madison, and later on Micha, and made a move as he was about to sit down and get comfortable.

"Don't sit down, Leto." Micha ordered sternly. Any other day Jared would have sat down just to annoy and disrespect Micha to somehow show the woman how much he loathed her without having to waste precious words on her.
But this time Jared actually obeyed her, his demon and tormentor, and listened carefully. Micha tapped her wrinkled and veiny hand against the thick brown file which contained Jared's life in papers. "Even if I don't like it, I have to let you go today. You have a visitor who wants to see you in the visiting room now." the old tyrant explained and frowned. "But don't think you will escape my questions because I have already added another hour to our session tomorrow!" she added quickly.

Jared wondered who could possibly want to visit him. He soon excluded Madison from the list of potential visitors. She wouldn't visit him in broad daylight. That would look too suspect.
Jared didn't think it was his brother Shannon either because of his reaction the last time they met. Shannon had been furious with Jared as he refused to speak. Shannon had then said that they weren't brothers anymore.
It was saddening for Jared to think about his brother as it brought up so many good memories of how good their relationship had been until a couple of months ago. Now it was all over and Jared had serious doubts whether or not he would see Shannon again.

"What are you still doing here? Go!" Micha snarled and pointed towards the door. The guard grabbed Jared's thin arm tightly and led him out of the room. Like Jared needed guidance... He walked out of that room every day without help! Jared thought of how much he disliked Micha. First impressions are the most lasting and Micha didn't exactly come off as a sweetheart.
Soon the guard had followed Jared to the crowded visiting room. People, guards and patients in their red suits sat in small booths and talked to each other.

The first thing Jared laid his eyes on was Albert who was sitting in a dirty booth with a guard and an apple-cheeked round woman. She was wearing a long plaid skirt, a white blouse and had a ragged scarf wrapped around her muscular shoulders. Albert screeched like an excited parrot and pointed towards Jared. "There he is ma! My best friend! He is the one I told you about!" Albert screamed and bounced up and down on his seat.
Albert was so happy to finally let his mom see his awfully quiet new friend. Albert's mother laughed merrily and followed the direction of Albert's happy gestures with her eyes. She then froze. "Him?" she yammered with her thick southern accent.
"Let's move." Jared's guard said and dragged the singer towards a booth in a far away corner. Jared still heard how Albert's mother scolded her son for being friends with a cold-blooded murderer.

As they got closer to the booth, all of the other sounds died out. Jared immediately recognized the person even as he could only see her from behind. This can't be true, he thought. But it was true. That long light brown hair with blond highlights couldn't belong to any other person than Constance. Constance Leto. Jared's mother.
His guess was confirmed as the guard forced him to sit down on the seat across from her. Jared noticed how tired and worn out she looked. Her blue eyes didn't sparkle like they used to.
Constance looked a bit shocked as she saw her baby boy for the first time since february. But she didn't react the way Jared thought she would. Constance Leto had always been a woman who didn't hold back on her tears whenever there was an emotional situation but now her eyes didn't even look close to watering at all. She was surprisingly calm.

"Sorry that I haven't come to visit you sooner. It's been a lot to take in and deal with." she said quietly. Constance's eyes roamed her youngest son. He was meager, pale and had scars all over his face. Still the worst part was how his expression was so empty, like he wasn't even happy to see her. Maybe Shannon was right about Jared being a completely new person, she thought.
"You look awful! What have they done to you?" Constance asked as her maternal side kicked in. I'm not supposed to show him compassion right now, she then cursed to herself in her mind.

Jared's face was impossible to read. He thought of what he would tell her if he talked. 'Hey mom. They have tortured me and the food here is sickening. Just the usual.'
Instead, Jared continued to keep his mouth shut.
"What I really came to say is that I talked to your brother. We decided that we will come and visit you if you tell the police the truth. It doesn't matter if you are innocent or not, we will still support you. If you continue to fake that you are mute, then this is the last time you will see me." she said sternly. Her heart ached. Constance hated every word that came out of her mouth but knew that it was necessary.
Constance didn't know if Jared had taken Yolanda's life or not but she still liked to think of her son as an innocent man.

Jared gave her a nod to say that the message was received. His mother looked at him with pleading eyes. "Please, think about it. You still have your family. If you lose us you have nobody to lean on." she said and got up to her feet.
Jared looked at her body. He was obviously not the only one losing weight.
He could do nothing but to watch his mother walk away. 'I will tell the world. Sooner or later.' Jared thought.

Suddenly he felt the familiar darkness embracing him. Another flashback was knocking on his door and desperately wanted to tell a story. Jared could see nothing but blurry figures before everything went pitch black.

January 3th, 2007

It was the band's last day in Atlanta where they had played a show yesterday night. Jared and Yolanda had decided to look around the city for a coffee-shop while the other three boys stayed at the hotel. The tour bus would be leaving later that day and head to another city.
The couple walked down the streets hand in hand. Jared noticed how Yolanda's hand was slightly shaking. He stopped her. "How are you? You are shaking, honey." the singer said with worry in his voice. "I'm just feeling a bit cold." she said.
Jared smiled and removed his own jacket and placed it on her shoulders. "I didn't know you had something gentlemanlike in your body." Yolanda said acerbically. Jared shook her bad attitude off like a filthy blanket and kept on walking.

Something caught his eyes. A picture on the front page of a newspaper. He recognized the girl in the picture. She had dark eyes and black short hair. It was the same girl as Jared had been talking to after yesterday's show.
He ran closer to the news-stand to look at the big black headlines. '19-year old found murdered.' Jared winced and grabbed one of the newspapers and his eyes scrolled through the article. 'Annie, 19... stabbed several times...mother says she'd been to a concert... no suspects yet...'

Yolanda placed her hand on his back. "I can't fucking believe this. This is the second girl being murdered after our shows." Jared whispered. "Do you know anything about this?" he asked as he thought she'd might been around. Maybe Yolanda had seen something suspect.
"No!" she said wheezily and started shaking violently. "I don't feel well." she said and threw up on Jared's arm.



A/N: I'll only write one or two more chapters before I wrap this thing up. :)
Sign up to rate and review this story