Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Darkness Of Flashbacks

Hot Mess

by AlexandraSweden 3 reviews

Jared is stuck with the slow kid ,Albert, from Alabama as they are supposed to be baking cupcakes.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [V] [X] [?] - Published: 2011-03-19 - Updated: 2011-03-19 - 1346 words - Complete

0Unrated
- Some say the day is on the way -

May 28th, 2007

Jared had never been as misplaced as he stood with an empty bowl in his hands. He looked at the ingredients on the stainless kitchen worktops and inhaled deeply. How could some flour and milk just magically transform into delicious cupcakes? It was all a mystery to the singer.
Another unfortunate thing was that he had got paired up with Albert, the slow kid from Alabama, and had to share a kitchen with him. It was approximately thirty patients in the room with the many cooking devices.
Some of them looked as confused as Jared did, some of them appeared confident and a handful just looked plain insane. Albert was definitively placed in the later category.
He had already tied the knot to his pinny and bragged loudly about it.

Jared couldn't figure out how this baking thing worked even as he had the recipe right in front of his eyes. It just didn't click.
He put his pinny on slowly and tied it to his waist carefully. An instructor eyed Jared from top to toe and stated to himself that those two boys in the kitchen in the right corner would probably need massive amounts of help. Or the kitchen would burst into flames.
Albert turned up the heat on every single stove plate to maximum. Then he laughed to himself. "It's gettin' hot in here. See?" he screeched like a parrot.

The other patients had started to grow tired of the squealing and hyperactive southern boy. "Shut it punk!" one of them yelled. Albert didn't register that the screaming was aimed towards him. He kept jumping around like a bunny on crack until a nurse came and forced him to swallow a pill. A tranquiliser, Jared thought.
He had swallowed quite a few of those pills back in the days. Albert soon calmed down and they could begin their attempt of baking cupcakes.

Jared found himself being slightly jealous of Albert. He wished that he could have Albert's childish excitement and naivety. But then Albert had to have done something terrible to be placed in such a place as Martha's.
Jared couldn't believe how someone who looked so innocent could end up in a mental institution. Albert must have fucked up bad, he thought.
Still he didn't seem to have any memories of it. Maybe he did flashback too. Maybe Albert was just trying to push away his past. Just like Jared did. Or tried to do.
It was something utterly beautiful and enchanting about that thought of Albert being such a layered and complex individual.

Jared had got lost in his own web of thoughts and was brought back to reality by a light tap on his shoulder. It was Albert who was considerably calmer. His eyelids drooped and his lips were slightly parted.
"Mix the sugar and butter in this bowl." Albert said and poked Jared's side with a big black bowl. It was simple and easy directions. Jared added the butter and scattered the sugar over it. He then started churning the thing quickly and accurately. It wasn't difficult at all and the singer started getting confidence in what he was capable of doing in the kitchen.
Hums and laughs came from every part of the room. Every single one of the patients seemed to enjoy baking. Even the tough guys, with bad breaths and yellow teeth, allowed themselves to put the guard down and just enjoy the fact that they were collectively creating something.

With everyone running around, the place could be compared to an anthill filled with big ants in red suits.
"I'm not a sinner." Albert randomly said and poured the dry ingredients into Jared's buttery mix. Sure you aren't, Jared thought. And pigs can fly. Everyone is guilty of one sin or another.

Soon it seemed like the two boys had finished the cupcake mixture. The white smooth paste was resting in the flour-stained bowl and looked pretty as a picture.
Jared put small cups on a baking sheet for the cupcakes to rise in. Albert was pleased to help placing the mixture into the paper cups. He watched the mixture fall into its resting places and giggled every time some of it missed the cups and fell on the baking sheet.
Jared watched Albert like a father watching his son. The singer was amused with the way the southern boy acted. How he had the ability to make the simplest things seem hysterically funny.
Jared thought of how spending time with Albert could make anyone appreciate their life more. Not himself though, as his life was already over.

When Albert was done and the bowl was empty, Jared put the baking sheet into the hot oven. The cupcakes were going to be in the oven for fifteen minutes before they were done and ready to eat.
The southern boy had jumped up and sat on the kitchen worktop and licked the spoon which he had used to empty the bowl with. He carefully licked every single part of the spoon to make sure that there was no grease left on it. His feet swung in the air and he hummed on a happy tune.
Jared sighed and smiled. He had done it. He had actually made something in the kitchen. Mainly by himself.

Albert started getting impatient after a couple of minutes. He glanced towards the clock every twenty seconds and whimpered.
"They should be done now, right?" he wailed when there were five minutes left. Jared bit his lip and shook his head. It could be the longest five minutes in Jared's life.

"You're awfully quiet!" Albert stated loudly and stared at Jared who was wiping the draining board with a dishcloth. The singer pretended like he hadn't heard anything.
"Almost like a dog..." the southern boy continued to say, mostly to himself. "Wait... Maybe you are a dog?"
Jared couldn't ignore Albert anymore. He met the younger boy's eyes and shook his head slowly. "Of course you aren't. Silly me. You don't have a tail and floppy ears." Albert said and laughed at his own silliness.

Finally, the cupcakes were all done in the oven and Jared took the baking sheet out and placed it on a worktop. The smell was incredible and the small cupcakes looked perfect with golden tops. Albert squealed like a little girl and hugged Jared from behind.
Jared tensed as he wasn't used to any body-contact, except for beatings, but he soon relaxed as he realized that Albert was harmless.
"We are such a great team! Look! We are the first ones to get our cupcakes out of the oven!" the southern boy said with so much excitement that Jared was afraid that he would wet himself.
Jared looked at the other pairs of amateur cooks and saw that none of them had taken their goodies out of the oven. Hell, one pair hadn't even put the paste into the oven in the first place. They were two middle aged men whose foreheads were wrinkled. "Maybe we should repeat step one and two on the recipe again?" Jared heard one of them say to the other. "Are you insane? Fuck this shit." the other one snapped back at the first man.

Albert's eyes were big as saucers as he watched the cupcakes and before Jared had the chance to even react, Albert had grabbed one of them and sunk his teeth into it. At first the southern boy smiled then his eyes widened again for another reason.
He screamed and dropped the cupcake to the floor. Tears were escaping his eyes and he stuck his tongue out. "So hot!" he lisped and punched the air with his small fists. It looked hysterical.
Jared turned away and grinned.

A/N: This isn't a heavy chapter. It is just something fun to distract me from the small tragedies in my own life.
Sorry that it's been so long since I last updated. R.I.P grandpa, I love you.
Sign up to rate and review this story