Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Friends in Holy Places

Chapter 5

by Qball 2 reviews

His past has found him. Will he face the truth?

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2011-04-17 - Updated: 2011-04-18 - 1132 words - Complete

0Unrated
Carriages rattled past as the trio made their way from the docks, each person lost in thought.
What have I done? Why did I come here? How do I explain this?....
“We’ll be there shortly” Clara said wiping her eyes with a handkerchief “It’s just ‘round the corner” Brendon glanced up, they were crossing a wide street lined with oak trees, the sun shining through the branches made pools of light fall over his shoulders. Turning the corner he felt that maybe things weren’t as terrible as he thought.
.. ..
“Here we are, home sweet home.” Clara mumbled opening the yard gate in front of a sizable manor. Ryan let out a low whistle sizing up the house, earning a look from both Brendon and Clara. “I think I’ll let you two have a bit of time alone, as family” Ryan turned and headed the opposite way they had come.
.. ..
“Tell me Brendon, who exactly is Mr. Ross, and why is he here?” Clara said glaring as Ryan faded from sight
.. ..
“Ryan is a dear friend of Eudora and I. He was also the father at the church we were wed in.”
“I assume then that he followed you here as way to watch over you in this time great strain?” she replied the edge fading from her voice.
.. ..
“I can only say I believe so” he said taking her hand. “Clara we’ll get through this, I know you and Eudora had your differences. She loved you and knew you loved her; don’t abuse yourself over not getting to repair the past.” Tears sprang to his eyes as he led Clara to the door “Are you sure you have room to spare for us?”
.. ..
“Oh it’s fine” she said opening the door into the spacious front parlor “Though food and supplies might be hard to come by. Ever since the blockades went in to effect the Confederates have been using Galveston as a jumping point. Rumor has it that the Fed’s are planning to launch an attack on the island.” She sighed sinking into an overstuffed arm chair “Seems as if this war doesn’t end, Galveston will.”
.. ..
“I never knew” Brendon sighed in disapproval “What will you do if anything happens?”
.. ..
“I suppose I’ll head north as far from the war as possible, maybe Philadelphia, maybe New York. Wherever the wind blows. “ she said wistfully
.. ..
The pair became lost in conversation, never noticing that the sun had long ago set.
“Where has Mr. Ross gotten to?” Clara piped up looking out the window, “He’s been gone quite some time”
.. ..
“You seem quite concerned” Brendon grinned “Perhaps the unattainable Clarabell Johnson has been taken with Mr. Ross.”
“There is someone coming up the road” she said stepping toward the door “Thanks goodness! It’s Mr. Ross” she stepped out the door calling for Ross
.. ..
“Where have you been?” Brendon questioned joining the other two on the porch “We were worried”
.. ..
“I was on the beach. A ship ran the blockade, but was overrun as soon as it made the dock. I saw a woman walking down the street holding some of the brass fittings.” Ryan said breathless
“Was anyone hurt?” Clara asked her mask of worry no back in place. “Are you hurt?”
“No, I watched from a safe distance. I’m just worried that their might be a riot” he said fear flashing in his eyes.
.. ..
As they turned to go inside a huge explosion tore through the night air. All three turned to the harbor just in time to hear another boom as the house shook. “We need to get inside and away from the windows” Ryan said taking Clara’s hand and leading her inside.
.. ..
Clara led them to the back of the house pausing to lock the door behind them. They huddled around the kitchen table as the sounds of battle grew louder in the harbor. The house shook as the battle reached its peak, The group could see flashes of light through the windows.
.. ..
Shortly after a rumble could be heard coming up the street. “It sounds like a carriage and horses” Ryan said rising to look out of the front windows.
“It is, it looks like everyone is headed away from the docks” he said placing the curtain back “There’s a man coming into the yard, he looks military”
.. ..
There was a loud knock on the door “This is Major Jasper Whitlock of the Confederate Army, we advise you leave the Island post-haste, the Union is taking the island, we don’t want anyone to get hurt.” With that the soldier turned on his heel and bounded down the steps and into the night.....
“Did you see what he looked like?” Clara asked peeking out the door “all I saw was a grey uniform and blonde hair” Ryan spoke up. “I think we should leave, maybe take only what we need and run” the other two nodded in agreement turning back inside to get their things.....
.. ..
Minutes later the three were headed across the lone bridge off the island, the battle still raging just off the shore. Clara held on to Ryan as the made their way, Glancing back periodically to check Brendon who followed close behind. ....
.. ..
They made their way across the bridge only seeing a few people along the path “Stragglers like us” Ryan mumbled watching a couple carry a trunk past them “Where are we headed anyway?” Brendon said suddenly beside him.....
“As far as I can tell north to Washington-on-the-Brazos, maybe wait until we can return to the island, how’s that sound?’ he looked at Brendon for an answer “Sounds fine but I think I’m headed opposite. To New Orleans I go, I have a few things I need to take care of before I leave it all behind.” He stopped and placed his bags on the ground.....
.. ..
“You can’t be serious!” Clara shouted her hand flying to her mouth “You’ll never make it alone, and on foot.” ....
.. ..
“Clara I’ll be fine, I’ve got the good Lord on my side and a head full of bright ideas. Here’s to wantin’ nothin’, fearin’ nothin’, and lovin’ what’s right.” He said taking Clara by the waist “I’ll miss you but we’ll meet again, I need to see your sister before I can close this chapter.” He turned and grasped Ryan’s hand “Sir, I’ll miss you more than you’ll ever know, you take care of this fine lady, don’t let her out of your sight.” With all that could be said, said he embraced the couple and headed west, leaving Ryan and Clara standing watching as he faded into the night. ....
Sign up to rate and review this story