Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > That Stupid School Project

September 2nd - Reparations of a Kind

by IWCT 0 reviews

Rogue drops some hints about her family, and Pietro gets mad at a certain word.

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Quicksilver, Rogue - Published: 2006-06-11 - Updated: 2006-06-12 - 863 words

0Unrated
Authro's note: Short chapter, to be followed by an even shorter chapter. But since no one is seriously reading this I doubt that any one will mind.

Disclaimer: I write fanfiction, not the scripts. In other words I own nothing.



The fall air was crisp and smelled slightly of apples. The trees along the road were few and far between but they always cast the perfect amount of shade. Rogue was sitting under one, looking off into the distance.

There was the cliff that marked the end of Bayville and the beginning of Long Island Sound. She remembered going down there over the summer with her guitar, sitting on the cliff edge and just playing it until her life restored itself to normal.

Everything seemed to be going wrong. She wished that she had never allowed Irene to convince her to move up to New York. Bayville was so provincial, and all of the rules had changed.

But Marie had wanted to know about her family. Her family was in Bayville. So, Marie had to be in Bayville as well. She had found out about her family. Now her jealousy of them was eating her up inside.

"The view's a lot better closer to the cliff. You can even see the water, you know." Pietro was leaning against her tree. There was only the slightest sheen of sweat to show that he had been running all the way from the school.

She just sat in her pool of shade. Rogue didn't want to talk to anyone, not even one of her best friends. Pietro was used to this. He was good at playing the waiting game. Rogue never liked to say anything. She didn't trust people. He could deal with that, he'd known her for two years, practically since she moved to Bayville. Rogue had never told anyone why she had moved. Pietro didn't care as long as she never asked where he went every second Saturday.

"Why do yah guys lahk John so much?" Marie's sleepy Southern drawl caught him off guard for a second.

"Why shouldn't we like the guy? He's funny, he doesn't seem to have the hang ups about rules that everyone else around here does, and he's got all of these ideas just floating off of him. Plus he's something new, that's something you don't see every day. Especially not around Bayville, we need something to take our minds off what hell it is here. He's just what we need, someone who shakes things up just by being around."

The wind sighed through the trees and some grasshoppers chirped in the short grass leading up to the cliff edge. Pietro played the waiting game some more. It was a game that Marie liked.

"He'll shake things up a bit. But not in a good way. Yah should have seen him in chemistry, it was creepy the way he looked at the Bunsen burner," Marie broke the silence after five minutes of heavy duty contemplation.

"Hey, maybe if we're lucky he's an arsonist. Wouldn't that be nice, seeing the admin section in flames? Can I ask you the question now? Why don't you like John?" Pietro moved slightly so that he was absolutely out of range of Rogue. He had learned the lesson that Lance had brought home to everyone about Rogue, that when the girl was upset you should be in another state.

"Ah don't think that we ought tah be friends with any of the X-Kids, OK?" Marie burst out.

Pietro continued the waiting game. He wanted to know the whole truth. Somehow he couldn't believe that The Rogue was so petty as to think that all people who went to Snobville were evil bastards.

"Well, aren't yah gonna say anythin'? Honestly Pietro, sometimes yah just make me crazy," Pietro's fists clenched as Marie said this, and his face became a mask of hatred, but he didn't say anything.

His friend looked up at him as soon as she listened to the words she had just said in the ringing silence, "'Tro, Ah didn't mean that. Ah really didn't. Ah just meant that yah made me really angry."

"Yeah, well you do that to me, too. Sometimes. Just please watch your words-- Oh, forget it. Who cares? I mean, it's just a word. You can make it up to me by telling me why you have taken it into your head to hate Johnny. It's a little strange for you; I mean you insisted that we give everyone of those X-Kids the benefit of the doubt, before. Even after Jean Grey decided that she could score some points with her crowd by totally embarrassing you."

"Ah never insisted that we give that Darkholme boy the benefit of the doubt. That's who John was hanging with before he met me. Anyone who hangs out with the Darkholme boy is bad news."
Marie brushed her hair back behind her left ear. That was her unspoken signal to leave. Pietro left her. He still had time to jog a few laps around the park before the Maximoffs were expecting him home. He set off for the park at a sprint.
Sign up to rate and review this story