Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Savior of The Broken, The Beaten and The Damned

Chapter 2: Art

by TheatreGeek 4 reviews

Sometimes it can be an escape route or it can break your heart.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2011-10-28 - Updated: 2011-10-28 - 1134 words

0Unrated
Monday’s were the definition of hell in my eyes.
“ Okay, so we need to carry on with our final pieces today. Ask me if you need any help with anything, and make sure your sketchbooks have a complete write up of everything you are doing.” Mrs Tine said in my double art lesson. I loved art, and an hour and forty minutes of it would normally have been a dream had I not just had “Emo Freak!” scribbled on the cover of my sketchbook in black sharpie. I opened it quickly so the other kids and the teacher wouldn’t see it. I went over to my drawer and took out my drawing of a funeral march. Laura tried to trip me as I headed back over to my seat, giggling as I tried to regain my balance. I glared at her and sat down, getting out my pencil and eraser and sharpener. I read over my notes about how I wanted the picture to look, how I wanted the sky to be a gradual gradient, from white to black and how I wanted the roses to be the only coloured parts of the picture. I sharpened my pencil and began to add more detail to the outlines I’d drawn in last lesson. My Ipod prevented me from having to listen to anyone else’s meaningless conversations, and I got a decent amount of work done. Ten minutes before the end of the lesson I became aware of a shadow hovering over me. I pulled my earphones out and turned around, shielding my artwork with my hands. I nearly fell off my chair when I realised who was stood in front of me.
“It’s you! Since when did you come to this school? “
The white haired boy grinned, holding out his paint stained hand to me. “ I’ve always been here, you’ve just never noticed. Gerard Way, I’m in the year above you.” I gingerly took his hand and briefly shook it. “ Jenny McDonald.”
“That drawing’s really good, you’ve got talent Jenny McDonald. I love the shading on the roses, they look so realistic!” He leaned over my picture, taking in every tiny detail.
“Thanks…” I mumbled as the bell rang for the end of the lesson. I carefully slid the half-finished piece into my drawer and put away my pencil and supplies, while Gerard washed out his paint palette. “See you around Jenny McDonald!” He smiled as I passed him, and I nodded shyly back. It felt weird, someone talking to me. Most people either ignored me all together or made harsh remarks. Especially people like Claire, Hannah and Tia, the popular girls. Pretty on the outside, complete psychos on the inside.
“Speak of the devil” I muttered under my breath as the three of them pranced past me in the hallway, Tia ramming her elbow into my ribs and tossing her golden curls in my face. “Oh I’m so sorry Ellie! Did I nudge you there? Sorry sweetie, maybe you should look where you’re going next time!” She called back, flashing a dazzling smile in my direction. I kept on walking to my next class, trying to ignore the stabbing pain in my abdomen. " It's Jenny..." I mumbled. I hated her, I hated all of them. I didn’t understand why everyone felt it necessary to make my life a total misery. Well, everyone except that Gerard guy, he’d said I had talent, he’d smiled at me. A real smile. He was probably winding me up anyway, just like everyone else.

I flipped through my old magazines, cutting out pictures to re-cover my art book, Bullet With Butterfly Wings playing over the noise of Millie’s High School Musical CD. After I’d successfully covered up the graffiti, I took out my pencil again from my bag and began to draw on my wall. I’d made it clear when I had my room re-decorated that I wanted three of the walls painted in a dark, red colour and one to be left white so I could draw on it. Mum and dad had protested, but had eventually given in after I said it would help me practice for my art classwork. I spend a good half an hour drawing, then mum called me down to lay the table for dinner. “ Call your dad and your sister down will you?” Mum said from the oven as I put the last knife down on the table.
“Dad! Millie! Dinner!” I yelled, then grabbed the plate mum held out to me. “Thanks.” I sat down in my usual seat and my little sister flitted into the room and sat opposite me. “ Hey Jenny, I got a smiley face sticker on my picture of you and mummy and daddy!”
“Great.” I replied, chewing on a mouthful of vegetable curry. Mum had actually made me separate curry tonight, whilst everyone else had beef. Maybe she was actually accepting my vegetarianism now. “Isn’t she clever Jen? Millie’s got a big piece of apple cake for dessert as a reward!” mum spooned food onto Millie’s plate, and handed it to her. “ Look!” I reluctantly put down my fork and took the piece of paper that was being thrust into my face as dad finally joined us and sat opposite mum. In the centre were three people, “Mummy” ,”Daddy” and “ Jenny” printed in wobbly hand writing above them, along with a blue strip of sky at the top and a green strip of grass at the bottom. Mum looked normal, dad looked normal, the person underneath “Jenny” didn’t look anything like me. It had brown hair and a blue dress and carried a little pink handbag. “ Why did you draw me looking like that Mill? That doesn’t look like me!” She paused in trying to spear a piece of beef with her fork and said “ It’s what I want you to look like. I made you look pretty” Dad helped her cut her meat and smiled. “ Aww, isn’t that nice? Well done sweetie” I was too put out to say anything, I simply went back to eating my dinner, spearing cauliflower moodily.
I went upstairs later and logged onto my IM account. I didn’t really know why I had one, I had no contacts, and I’d had it for three years, so I was shocked to find I had a little number one flashing next to my inbox.
Gerard Way wants to add you as a contact
Accept Decline
I pressed accept, my heart beating quicker. First contact in three years?
A message flashed up and I clicked on it:
GerardWay: Hey Jenny McDonald! :D Done any more drawing?
Sign up to rate and review this story