Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > The Volcanologist

Brotherly Love

by Mazwe 0 reviews

The team return to the lab in L.A. Jared is furious with Shannon and vents his anger, starting a huge argument between the brothers

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2011-11-04 - Updated: 2011-11-05 - 879 words - Complete

0Unrated
We are home within the week. Vesuvius is now back to its normal state, GREEN ALERT. No more ash emissions, no more gas emissions, no more tremors. We believe that the tremors were just a side-effect of such a violent eruption, like the planet was in shock. It has been known before, especially the violent collapses on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

Ahh, the Mid-Atlantic Ridge... Its fascinating! It is a constantly open crack in the Earth's crust which erupts non-stop, creating new land. But then it buckles under the weight. The devastating earthquake it caused a few years back even moved the Earth's original axis - shortening our daytime slightly - and it was ringing like a bell for weeks. This planet has been described as a powerful "machine", and its unbelievable what it can do.

I've never told Jared about that, or the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. If "normal" volcanoes freak him out, imagine what that would do to him.

Speaking of Jared...

I call Mom first. I want to apologise to her before Jared. This is because I know Jared is still not happy with me, and he is going to tear shreds out of me.

She decides she wants to visit me in the lab, she's proud of what I do. It never fails to amaze her. She greets me with the necklace I bought her for Christmas - thanking me, telling me I shouldn't have, kissing me on the cheek and telling me she's glad I'm safe.

She'd given me a book on volcanoes, which was great. I thank her for it, and most importantly, I apologise for worrying her over Christmas. She tells me to forget it, but just keep in touch in the future. I especially need to keep in touch with Jared more. I know now it was silly not to answer just a simple call or even a text, just to let him know I wasn't dead.

Next, I text Jared. I offer either meeting him in his house or the lab. He doesn't answer. He only lives 10 minutes away from our building, and suddenly he's here. He seems calm as he approaches me. But I can tell he's bubbling underneath the surface. And I'm right...

"Shannon, what the HELL were you playing at?!!"

May the shredding commence.

"Ok, Jared, I know it was wrong to worry you, but..."

"Wrong?! You are way off wrong! You are very wrong!"

"Right Jared, I understand you're angry and upset, but can we please move this somewhere quieter?"

"Oh fine!"

I take him to a quiet room. But with the way he's shouting, I'm not surprised if Dannielle and Luke can hear.

There's not really a lot he can say. He said it all on the morning of the eruption too. But he doesn't stop. "We thought you were dead! I asked you to call and I understand why you didn't, you were working! But there's no need to ignore texts and phone calls!"

"Jared, I know, but..."

"There are no 'buts' Shannon! Its a shame you missed Christmas, I don't care that you missed my birthday either. It doesn't matter. But not even a text from you over Christmas, nothing over New Year. It would have taken you 5 seconds for a simple text to let us know you hadn't been killed!"

"Jared I am sorry alright? What else do you want me to say?"

"You didn't even have to go Shannon! It was Christmas!"

I try to remain calm. But he is starting to get repetitive. And annoying.

"Jared, you know I had to go! Volcanoes don't have a time plan."

"I know that Shannon! I'm not stupid! But someone else could have gone! I'm sure you'd get plenty of opportunities to see one of those Pinny-thingy eruptions! And its fine, its your choice, you wanted to go! But you were just to damn selfish to think about..."

That's it, I've had enough. "I'm selfish?! Says the man that doesn't want me to go and save lives!"

He's taken aback. "Don't turn this around on me, Shannon. You know I'm right!"

"Right?! You couldn't be right if it hit you in the face! If I'm so selfish, then why don't you get off your lazy ass and do some real work, rather than letting work come to you!"

"That doesn't make any sense! And what does my career have to do with this?! If people want me to film a movie, then I will. Its work, but at least I can't die in the process!"

"What about music then Jared? What are your hopes and dreams for that?!"

"So I'm not allowed to dream anymore?! Its alright for you to dream about legendary volcanic eruptions though isn't it, you selfish jerk!" He storms out of the room and through the main office.

"Oh yeah Jared! Run away and don't let a few home truths get the better of you. I'd love to see you in a real job! And by the way, Pinny-thingy? Its Plinian! Get your facts straight!"

He shakes his head in disbelief before flipping me the finger and leaving.

Luke and Dannielle look from Jared and look at me without saying a word. I know they're shocked. But I have no regrets... yet...
Sign up to rate and review this story