Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > The Volcanologist

New Circumstances

by Mazwe 0 reviews

A few days after arguing, the Leto brothers talk. But its too late, and Shannon's hurtful words have some worrying consequences

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-01-16 - Updated: 2012-02-15 - 932 words - Complete

0Unrated
A few days pass with no word from Jared. I don't call him either. Dannielle and Luke don't mention it. We get on with our work during another quiet spell of volcanic activity. We collect our Vesuvius samples and results from the lab, Luke carefully putting it in the computer files along with computer copies of the x-rays.

Jared had got me a DVD about volcanoes for Christmas. It was a few hours long, a documentary about the mechanics of the planet - The Earth Machine - and included everything from the basics of tectonic plates, to the Pacific Ring of Fire, to the instability of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. It was a great present, although, I hadn't watched it yet. I wasn't in the mood after the argument I had with him, and the wounds are too raw to make up with him yet.

I'd bought him a guitar kit for Christmas - including cleaning supplies, a few extra strings, guitar picks, everything else - and then turned around and made it sound as though I didn't support him at all.

All this time, he hasn't been too keen on me having a dangerous job - and it is a dangerous job, no matter how experienced and careful we are - and he doesn't complain. All he asks is that I keep in touch. I can tell he doesn't like me leaving, but he doesn't try to stop me.

Everything he said was true. Of course I don't like being called selfish. I'm not though! I just love my job! I hope he just said it in the heat of the moment. Everything I said was in the heat of the moment. He's probably still...

"Call him" Dannielle looks up from her laptop and states calmly to me.

She startles me "Huh? Wha...?"

"Call him. Its been a week. I know that's what your thinking of."

"Err no. I'm thinking of Kilauea in Hawaii. Its on WATCH and sulphur dioxide levels have been rising from one of the craters since 2008!" I lie.

She has to giggle at that. "Oh Shan, I know you. Its been eating you. I swear I can see the cogs turning in your brain. You're wondering if he will call you first, or if you should call him. And if I had argued with an older sibling, I would want them to call me first. Just do it! He'll let you know if he doesn't want to talk yet."

That's all it takes. She boosts my confidence, and I leap to my feet and wrap my arms around her, causing her to squeal. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I grab my phone and make my way to an unoccupied room, and call - not text - call him. I'm glad to hear him answer. He could have easily hung up if he wanted. But before that, I swear I heard his phone ringing.

"I'm already here. And I have some news."

I leave the room and see my brother standing there, talking to Dannielle.

"What news?" I ask him.

"I've been talking to your superior. He's allowing me to come with you next time you go to study a volcano."

I don't think, I just pull him back into the small room.

"Are you crazy?! You can't do that!"

"And why not?! You wanted me to get a 'real' job! I worry about you when you leave! So next time I'll be coming with you! I'm not being paid for it either, you can call it a learning curve!"

"Jared, if you come, then I'll be worrying about you! I can't concentrate and babysit you when you go into shock and panic!"

"You won't be babysitting me! I'll be in the hotel room, you can teach me new things, and I'll just be studying basic stuff. And I'll be able to text Mom and let her know we're OK so you don't have to. And I want to share a common interest with you."

Damn Jared! Now I feel guilty again. "You know I didn't mean what I said right? You do whatever you want to, whatever you enjoy."

"Well I want to put things right here first, starting with studying volcanoes with you."

I finally give in. "Oh, if you want." He suddenly seems happier. "On one condition! You promise us you will stay in the hotel room. If you want to look at the volcano, you only look out the window. And you can bring something to keep you entertained - artwork or a laptop, and a guitar - as long as you keep it limited to one suitcase. You will do nothing stupid or dangerous OK?"

"Yes! Thank you!"

So we explain our new circumstances with Luke and Dannielle. They seem unsure at first, but seem to welcome the idea with the promise of Jared staying safely away. I know he won't go near the mountain voluntarily anyway. They scare him after his one and only experience.

Its another week before we get another phonecall from our superior. He doesn't visit us this time though. I'm the one to answer the phone. And the next destination simply reaffirms my belief that Jared should really not come.

Luke asks the usual question "So? Where are we going?"

"Before I tell you guys... Jared? I really think you should give this one a miss. Not because I don't trust you or anything, its really not that. But I don't think you're going to like it."

"Why not?"

"Yeah Shan, where are we going?" Dannielle asks.

"Villarrica."
Sign up to rate and review this story