Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Pools of Vaisha: Book One

Chapter One: Masters of Blades (Part One)

by MatthewMorin 3 reviews

The Blade Masters Thandrel and Aberk come to Lygatta.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-12-17 - Updated: 2011-12-18 - 361 words

0Unrated
Master Aberk marched into the town Lygatta with the reputed Master Thandrel at his side. His regal blood red cloak did the best it could to keep the biting cold from attacking him. He rested his hand on the creatively decorated sword at his side, and his long light brown hair swayed in the gentle, yet cold breeze.
Yells of excitement muted the shouts of the guards keeping the mob from the two. Aberk smiled and waved at the crowd, encouraging them to continue. Thandrel had his eyes set forward, they were untouched by his pitch black hair, which he had put up, held by a string tied in a knot. Thandrel was looking at the palace, which seemed to shine in the midday sun. The snow was like specks of diamonds spread across it and it stood as tall as a mountain. On the path the two walked, columns arched overhead.
“Come on Thandrel,” Aberk said, “humor them a bit.”
“Don’t forget our reason for being here, Aberk,” Thandrel said.
“As if I could do such a thing,” Aberk said through his fake smile. “But if we come here and don’t make the people happy, what kind of idols are we?”
Thandrel said nothing after that. He still faced forward, walking fast enough to let his black cloak trail behind him. His handsome youthful face was void of any emotion. And then a look of fear flashed and he stopped in his tracks.
“Thandrel?” Aberk turned around to see about his comrade. A look of worry had taken his face.
Thandrel’s eyes were fixated on the crowd, and they were shaking violently. Aberk looked up and rid himself of all emotions. Then he felt it as well. A power much greater than even the Sage possessed. And its source was a boy who was staring at the two with an expression of awe. Aberk’s legs started to shake.
The two recomposed themselves and then continued to march on. Aberk no longer smiled or waved at the people.

AUTHOR NOTE: I meant for this chapter to be longer, but decided instead to split it in two parts.
Sign up to rate and review this story