Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Pools of Vaisha: Book One

Chapter Two: Masters of Blades (Part Two)

by MatthewMorin 1 review

The King of Lygatta meets with the two Blade Masters.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-12-18 - Updated: 2011-12-18 - 658 words

0Unrated


King Ansen of Lygatta sat on his throne, looking over the two Blade Masters as they knelt before him. It was uncomfortable, having the two he looked up to as a boy kneel before him; two of the three servants who had more power than kings. They had such power, yet why did they bow?

"Stand,"Ansen said, flinching at the crack in his voice.

In one quick movement, the two rose to their feet, their eyes locked on Ansen's all the while. He fought to keep his legs from shaking. Then he breathed, and let his emotions float out. He stepped into one pool of Vaisha. The pool he was born from. The two in front of him were at the level he was used to sensing, so it didn't affect him. Still, Master Thandrel's eyes bore into him threatening to take the throne if he must.

"What is it you want?" Ansen said. This time his voice was hard and cold.

Master Thandrel spoke first.

"The Great Sage has called a gathering of the leaders, and of the three Masters." His voice was filled with authority and it echoed off the walls, mocking the king.

"Then Iwill prepare to go immediately. Is that all of your business?"

"Master Danin is the other issue," Master Aberk said.

Ansen flinched. "What about him?"

"We know he is here, in your realms. You are to tell us where." Master Thandrel's words struck cords of fear in Ansen, and it forced him out of the pool.

"I haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about."

Master Aberk's grip on the hilt of his sword tightened. His expression was hard. The threat was clear: Ansen was to tell what he knew, or die otherwise.

"I think you do," Master Thandrel said, obviously speaking the other's mind.

The king exhaled. "If you can find his son, you may find him. Master Danin never strays far from him. He is a boy about my age, only yellow hair instead of black. He is much taller than me. And... when you enter a pool... you can feel apower greater than you could imagine."

The two gave a brief nod. Their expressions changed from the threatening look to one of controlled fear. The two must have seen him already, or they would not have believed it true. The first time Ansen felt his power, he nearly fainted.

"Well, Your Majesty, we will be on our way. You have three weeks to appear at the Tower. We leave you now." And then they were gone.

Ansen sighed in relief and leaned back into his grand chair. The flames from the candles on the walls were nearing to be the only light in the hall. The golden designs on the red carpet that dominated the large room shone as if they were real gold. And outside one of the windows, snow began to fall.

He heard doors open behind him. Feet clapped on the ground and got louder as they approached him. And before long, a girl with straight black hair looked at him with big emerald green eyes. Her figure was like an hourglass. She was extremely beautiful, perhaps the most beautiful woman in the realm.

"Well, brother?" she said. Her voice was melodic.

"Cerawyn,"he said, "I want you to find Seraph."

Her fast twisted in disgust. "Why him? Why would anyone want to find that swine?"

Ansen lightly chuckled. "Oh, but Cera, Wouldn't you want to know the future Great Sage?"

"That boy will not be the Great Sage. He's disgusting! Terrible! The worst!" She was yelling at the end. Ansen knew why all too well.

"Ah, but Cera," he said. "I could take away your clothes and jewelry. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate that."

Her head hung down in defeat. Her black silk of hair slid over her small shoulders to hang with it.

"Fine, I'll do it."

"That's a good girl."
Sign up to rate and review this story