Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Eight: Journeys

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Hey everybody, sorry that this chapter's a little longer than the others. I enjoyed writing it though, once I got into the swing of things. Anyway, enjoy!

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Published: 2006-06-21 - Updated: 2006-06-22 - 5595 words

0Unrated


Roses of the Valley

Chapter Eight: Journeys



"Good morning, lord Chin-Hwa," Wen Lan bowed her head reverently as the old noble turned the corner. "I was just on my way to meet you for breakfast."

"Ah, Wen Lan! I'm glad I found you before you had settled yourself in the dining room." He smiled as he approached her, returning her bow with a polite nod.

"Is something the matter?" she was surprised. Each time she had arrived at breakfast, Chin-Hwa would already be sitting, enjoying a cup of tea and preparing to discuss or argue whatever the topic happened to be for the morning.

"No, nothing at all. My guest, general Seung has requested an audience with us. I promised we would meet with him before breakfast."

"General Seung? The successor to Dak-Ho?" there was a trace of suspicion in her tone.

"The very same. No worries Wen Lan, I assure you that Seung is in every way the opposite of Dak-Ho. I would not delay breakfast if such were not the case; breakfast is..."

"Essential, for it provides a strong foundation for our spirit to draw energy from during the trials the day may hold," she smiled softly as she finished his sentence.

"Very good, very good," he nodded gently, smiling. "Now then, shall we?"

"Of course, my lord." She bowed again as she walked beside him. As they moved, she hoped quietly to herself that the meeting would not delay her from visiting Jung.

It was not long before they had entered the reception hall, Seung already sitting humbly before the rise where Chin-Hwa typically sat. Wen Lan's place was to the side, where she was able to observe and analyze the actions of both parties.

Yet such was only the case for formal occasions. Seung was a beloved friend and hero, and it was for this reason that the old man raised his hand to the general as he began bowing, stopping him.

"Please Seung, I try my hardest to encourage you and Wen Lan to spare me such formalities, yet neither of you ever grant me such. I ask that you put such to the side, at least until I've had my breakfast," he smiled.

Seung simply stared, before smirking slightly. Where he had been blessed with the gift of earthbending, Chin-Hwa had been born with skill in rhetoric that could overwhelm and conquer an opponent with minimal effort. He nodded his head, granting his aged friend his request. "Of course."

"Excellent. Ah," he remembered Wen Lan standing beside him, motioning his hand towards her. "Have you two been introduced?"

"Not formally," Wen Lan smiled as she stepped forward, bowing respectfully in greeting. "I am Wen Lan, successor to lord Chin-Hwa."

"I am Seung, general of the Earth Kingdom army," he bowed in return, then stood tensely. "I offer you my sincerest apologies that you were attacked on your way to meet with lord Chin-Hwa."

"There is no need for apology; you were acting on the orders of another. I hold no animosity towards you, nor your men."

"I am grateful for your understanding," he nodded his head, thankful that Dak-Ho's headstrong nature hadn't come back to haunt him.

"I ask you to spare me the formalities, so you both simply apply them to one another. No respect for an old man's wishes," Chin-Hwa teased as he stepped towards Seung.

"My apologies, lord Chin-Hwa," Wen Lan smiled as she stood beside him, understanding his complaint to be in jest.

"Please, sit." Chin-Hwa motioned for Seung to sit across from him, choosing to remain below the rise. He was a firm believer that such formality, which could easily be interpreted as arrogance, should never be enacted among friends.

Seung lowered himself to his knees, placing his hands on his thighs as the two nobles sat before him. "I'm sure that by now, you're wondering as to why I requested an audience with you so early in the morning."

"I am certain it was worth it, otherwise you would have chosen another time," he stroked his beard gently.

"Upon returning from the village last night, my men brought something to my attention." He looked towards Wen Lan curiously. "Lady Wen Lan...Is it true that you meet with the Demon on an almost daily basis?"

There was a sudden tension in the room, Chin-Hwa stroking his beard slowly as he glanced towards her. She stared towards the general, closing her eyes.

"My apologies general, but the information you were given was incorrect."

"Ah," he tilted his head back slightly, having hoped that this had not been the case.

"It is not 'almost daily.' I meet with him every day," she opened her eyes again slowly, a strength behind her words.

Chin-Hwa smiled gently. Though Seung was a friend, there was something to be admired in a girl who maintains confidence before an Earth Kingdom general.

"I see," he thought quietly to himself, analyzing this.

"Seung, why is the Demon a sudden concern of yours?" the old man asked.

He sat silently for a moment, consciously and carefully selecting his words. "If it is true that lady Wen Lan has continuous contact with the Demon, then the Earth Kingdom requires her aid."

Wen Lan's body tensed, the conversation having taken a turn in a direction that made her uncomfortable. She sat silently, waiting for the proper opportunity to respond.

"Why?" Chin-Hwa asked a simple question, curious as to why his had been evaded.

"Scouts have returned from the river. They've brought with them detailed reports of Fire Nation forces gathering, preparing an invasion force that will travel along the river."

There was a stunned silence, Wen Lan's eyes going wide as Chin-Hwa's expression became tense.

"...Wen Lan. Please find a servant and have her bring us some tea. I suspect we will be here awhile," the old noble instructed carefully as he stroked his beard.




"The feed's going to cost you a few coins, little lady. You sure you can afford it?" the merchant smiled as he set down the third bag.

"Well, no...I was hoping you'd be okay with trading for the feed," she admitted, opening her tattered pouch and fishing through it.

"Eh? You can't pay for it?"

"Wait, wait! I told you I can trade for it!" She fished through the pouch a little faster.

"Little girl, this had better not be some kind of game," he narrowed his eyes a little.

She narrowed hers in response as she felt a few small bags, finally having located what she was searching for. "I told you I'll trade, just hear me out!"

"Fine," he growled as he crossed his arms. "What've you got?"

"There are a lot of scorpions in this area, right?" she took out two small pouches.

"Well, not a lot. But they're not rare, I guess. Why?"

"I saw a bunch of them on my way here. I figured I'd be safe on the ostrich horse, but I found some flowers and herbs on the way here that make potent antivenom when you mix them. Each of these pouches has enough for five people. I'll trade you two pouches for the feed," she smiled hopefully.

He stared in surprise, taking one of the bags. Analyzing its contents, he whispered curiously. "How do I know this isn't fake or something?"

"I tested it myself," she smiled in pride at her handiwork as she slid her sleeve up, revealing a small sting mark on the upper part of her arm. "I got stung while I was sleeping the other night."

The merchant gaped, staring. He had seen enough scorpion stings to understand the girl was sincere. Pocketing the two pouches, he hoisted up the bags of feed and walked towards her ostrich horse.

"Deal," he said quietly.

Li Mei smiled confidently, happy that she had been able to make it so far on bartering. She had lost track of how long she had been traveling, feeling herself coming closer and closer to her goal.

This was not without consequence. Her clothes were tattered, her face dirty and thin from little rest and food.

The merchant could not help but notice this as he finished tying down the bags of feed. He crossed his arms.

"For another one of those pouches, you can get a meal and a night's rest. Maybe some new clothes and a pouch," he offered casually.

"Thank you," she bowed politely, "but I'm in a hurry."

"...Hmph. Fine, I wasn't gonna mention this, but the two pouches you gave me are going to sell for a lot more than just three bags of feed. One meal, a night's stay and some fresh clothes should make us even."

"It's fine, I don't mind paying extra," she began hitching up the ostrich horse, who cawed loudly.

He grumbled, understanding that she hadn't caught his drift. "Listen, that ostrich horse needs some rest, you can tell he's running on hot heels."

"Ryo should be fine as long as I keep him well fed," she smiled as she hoisted herself up onto the beast.

"Look," he was trying his best not to growl as he said it. "Wherever you're going, you don't want to arrive looking as shabby as you do now. You can spend the night with my family, wash up, and arrive wherever it is you're going looking nice. I insist on it."

Li Mei looked down at the merchant, then towards the road. She glanced towards her hands, caked with dirt and sweat. As she did, she could almost hear Wen Lan scolding her to take better care of herself.

She sighed, nodding softly. Her smile seemed disappointed, as she jumped down from Ryo. Bowing deeply, she thanked the merchant for his consideration, taking him up on the offer.

"It's no problem, really. You look like you need the rest anyway."

Taking Ryo's reins, she guided him carefully alongside the merchant as the two made their way towards his home.

From the shadows of a nearby alley, a lone figure tipped his hat up, studying them as they passed. He then sighed with relief, grateful that Li Mei had finally taken a break from her intense pace.

His ostrich horse cawed, trying to lean its head out of the alley upon smelling something tasty.

Shui shushed the bird, stroking its neck gently as he guided it back down the alley. Li Mei had managed to run him ragged without even knowing it.




"How many?" he sipped slowly from the cup, interrupting the long silence.

"A large enough force that it's a concern, but not so large that we suspect any level of failure."

"I am confused; from what I recall there is little to no reason for the Fire Nation to invade the valley."

"We haven't had the opportunity to apprehend or interrogate any Fire Nation soldiers, so we can't determine what their motivation behind it is."

"When do you anticipate their advance?"

"Scouts have informed me that they're camping lightly. This could be because they aim to leave no trace for the sake of a surprise attack."

"If that's the case, then they've already failed," Chin-Hwa noted, taking another sip.

"The alternative is that they intend to invade soon enough that establishing a camp would be pointless."

"So the safest assumption to make is that they will advance soon," Wen Lan lifted her cup, sipping deeply from it.

"Seung, you have yet to explain how the Demon comes into play. I trust you know better than to try to recruit him through Wen Lan. The Earth Kingdom has tried many times to gain his favor."

"Yes, and each time they have met with failure. I do not wish to trouble the Demon with such an offer when I understand he has no desire to fight alongside us."

Wen Lan sipped the tea again, lowering it as she looked in the direction of the mountains. She hoped quietly that Jung was not sitting, waiting for her with suspicion that she had chosen not to come despite promising she would. Worse yet, perhaps he was offended. Closing her eyes, she hoped for this not to be the case, hoped that he would wait patiently for her. That she would arrive with a kettle of tea to find him sitting, facing the wall as he always did. That they would continue their conversation from where it had left off.

"However," Seung interrupted her thoughts, "my men are restless. We have a superior understanding of the valley, the river and the land in general. I am confident that we will be able to emerge victorious. The others, though...They are restless."

"Restless?" Chin-Hwa halted his hand, looking curiously towards the general.

"Though eager to fight the Fire Nation and show them our strength, the men fear being attacked on a second front by the Demon of War. Already, there are rumors circulating among the troops."

"Rumors?" Wen Lan asked, curious.

"Yes. There is a rumor that the Demon is actually Avatar Roku, returning to end the war by destroying all those who perpetuate it. Another claims he isn't Roku, but that he can change into any element. After hearing that rumor, another soldier corrected the one reciting it by saying that he couldn't actually change into other elements, but could become one with the shadows. Another corrected this, claiming he is able to bend shadows, not become them."

"Wild stories," Chin-Hwa smiled, entertained by the notions as he took another sip.

"There are others, also," Seung smiled. "It's said that he can controls beasts, while another claims he is of another world. At one point there was a short-lived rumor that he is able to bend metal."

Wen Lan lifted her hand to her mouth, giggling lightly as she memorized each of these. She was sure that the stories of his reputation would entertain Jung later on.

"I understand that he will not fight alongside us," the general's face took on a more serious appearance. "But I was hoping, lady Wen Lan...That you would speak to him on my behalf."

"For what purpose?" she asked curiously, lifting her cup again.

"I offer that all searches to locate the Demon will cease, as well as all wanted posters featuring him be removed. In exchange, I ask that when this battle comes to pass, he not participate in it. If this is the case, my men will have nothing to fear from that front, and will fight to their full potential against the Fire Nation."

"...Hmm," Chin-Hwa took another sip, as Wen Lan stared at the general.

"If he refuses, I shall accept that and prepare a squad to try to delay him so that our main troops can focus. I raise no fist against him, nor hunt him down. I ask on behalf of my men," he bowed down to her, facing the ground. "I implore you, lady Wen Lan. Please speak with him."

She stared at him, standing slowly. She bowed to Chin-Hwa, whispering.

"May I be excused to consider this, lord Chin-Hwa?"

He nodded his head, dismissing her as he breathed out slowly.

Sitting back up, Seung looked towards his old friend. "I'm sorry to have put her in such a position."

"I would be ashamed of your actions, had they been selfish. You act on behalf of your men, something I can respect and find admirable."

"She seems shaken. I regret having caused that."

"It is a difficult choice, for her. In the eyes of a soldier, the Demon of War is to be feared. A whirlwind of fury with no compassion, just strength. To Wen Lan, however..." he trailed off as he looked towards the panel she passed through as she left. "To Wen Lan, he is human. And though I have no evidence of such, I suspect that he is a compassionate man. Kind, even."

"What leads you to believe this?" he asked curiously.

Chin-Hwa smiled softly, taking another sip from his cup before setting it down. "She has spent every day since her arrival visiting the man. I doubt such would be the case if he was anything but."

"I see," he nodded. "My only regret as a soldier is that it makes it impossible for me to see the Demon in the same light she does, to approach him without being met with intense suspicion."

"A soldier is nothing more than a profession. A man may be a merchant, a painter or a king. Yet these are not meant to define us; merely give us direction."

Seung smiled, nodding his head again. "I am always grateful for your wisdom."

"And I am always grateful for your company. But more so, I am grateful for levity when a scenario has far too much gravity to it."

"Hmm?"

"Xiu!" he barked, turning his head towards the panel as Seung jumped slightly, startled.

The panel slid open quickly, as Xiu looked towards the old noble with slight aggravation. She loathed being barked for.

"Yeah, what do you wa-" it was at that moment that she noticed Seung sitting across from the smiling old man. Her face took on a sudden and intense shade of red as she leaped back, slamming the panel shut. She slid it open very slightly, peering in.

"Y...Yes, lord Chin-Hwa?" Her eyes were already slightly narrowed towards the old man, suspecting his game already.

"Xiu, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to fetch another kettle and fill general Seung's cup?"

"S...Surely one of your...Many, many," she put strong emphasis on the word the second time, "servants could perform this task for you, my lord...?"

"No, I am entirely confident that only you can perform this task," he smiled cheerfully.

She wanted very much to wring his neck. "Are you certain you wouldn't rather have someone else do it...?"

"Xiu, I have spent all day praising your tea pouring skills to general Seung, please don't be so rude as to disappoint him just as he was looking forward to a demonstration."

"I was?" Seung looked towards the old man in confusion.

"You were."

"...I was," he looked towards the thin break in the panel, unable to identify the girl standing behind it. Quietly, he whispered to himself, "apparently."

"Yes, lord Chin-Hwa. Right away, lord Chin-Hwa," she was practically growling as the panel shut.

Seung stared in confusion.

Chin-Hwa grinned in satisfaction.




"Take a break, maggots!" Gang barked as he approached Wen Lan, the soldiers lying on the ground behind him, gasping for air as sweat soaked their bodies. Each anticipated that Gang would give Seung an intense rematch, the guards grateful that there were others for Gang to divide his usual punishment among.

She stared towards the flowers, recognizing a few as the same roses that grew in the valley.

"My lady, are you alright?" he asked, standing beside her attentively.

"Ah," she snapped back to attention, having lost herself in though. "My apologies Gang, I was not paying attention."

"I could tell, you usually scold me for pushing the others too hard within the first few moments of arriving," he noted.

She smiled softly. "So I do."

There was a silence before he stood beside her. "My lady, is somethin' on your mind?"

"Yes," she nodded, looking back towards the flowers. "There is a decision I must make."

Another pause passed between them as he leaned an arm up on a column, looking out towards the soldiers. "Lady Wen Lan...You remember when you were younger, and you would get sick?"

"I remember it did not happen often," she looked towards him.

"Right, 'cause you were strong! Had a lot of fire in your heart, still do. S'why I stick by you."

"You stick by me because you are a good and loyal friend," she interjected.

"Maybe," he continued looking at the flowers, as if lost in memories. "But that's not all of it. I've stuck around because of your spirit, 'cause of that fire. Same way I felt about your father," his face took on a slight and sudden sadness, as if he had discovered a memory he had would have much rather forgotten.

"I remember when I was younger..." she answered his expression with a warmer memory. "You would tell me stories before I slept. Every morning, father would tell me which were true and which you had made up."

"Every one of those stories was true, not a single lie among 'em," he composed himself proudly, almost regally.

"Even the one where you wrestled the unagi and won?" she raised an eyebrow as a slight grin of suspicion crept over her face.

"Well, no."

"I knew it."

"It was two unagi," he corrected. "And I did it without firebending."

She laughed softly, her focus on the flowers having faded.

"You just ask anybody from the Fire Nation, everyone ate nothing but unagi for a week!"

"If Xiu were here, she would tell you that you are a silly old man," she teased.

"And Xiu isn't here, so I'm not a silly old man. I'm whatever you think I am."

"I think...That you are my oldest, dearest friend. And that you would never lie to me."

"Then that's exactly what I am," the old guard smiled.

She nodded, smiling softly. "Always."

"Point is...I stick by you because even when you were little, I always believed you were right about everythin'. That fire in your heart has always been there, never fades, never leaves. S'why Xiu and the others are still here, too. And no matter what," he lifted his finger, placing it over her heart.

She looked down at the finger, her eyes trailing up towards her old friend's face.

"...You keep making decisions with that, and more people'll see the same."

There was a moment of silence as the wind passed calmly, before Wen Lan wrapped her arms around Gang's chest, hugging him tight.

He laughed, hugging her before patting her shoulders. "Now, you go do what you've gotta do. I've gotta get these guys ready for anythin'," he grinned as he stepped back, nodding his head towards the still resting soldiers.

She bowed, smiling warmly. "Thank you, Gang."

He bowed back, deeply. "Always, my lady." He then turned, marching towards the soldiers.

"Gang?"

He turned his attention back towards them.

"Please don't push them too hard," she smiled.

He smirked, before continuing towards the guards. Waving out a hand, he barked at them to resume, the command met with unanimous groaning.

As she smiled and watched the soldiers train, a voice called out to her from down the hallway.

"Wen Lan!" Sun hurried towards her, panting and sweating with worry.

"Hmm? Sun?" she made her way towards the woman, taking her shoulders gently. "What's wrong?"

"The tea house," she breathed out heavily. "You have to come!"




"Your tea is ready, lord Chin-Hwa," Xiu said lowly as she approached the panel.

"Ah, excellent! Please come in!"

"Lord Chin-Hwa, it's fine. I can pour it myself, please don't trouble your servants," Seung pleaded.

"Nonsense Seung! Believe me, this is exactly what the situation has called for."

She slid the panel open, now dressed in an elegant robe, her hair tied up and neatly presented as she skillfully held a tray with a kettle carefully placed in the center.

"Xiu, you look lovely today! Is it a special occasion?" Chin-Hwa smiled innocently.

"Oh lord Chin-Hwa, you flatter me," it took extreme discipline to control her tone in a way that would not reveal her intense sarcasm. It took just as much, if not more discipline, to stop her face from glaring angrily towards him.

Xiu did not have extreme discipline.

"Please start with my cup, I find that this discussion has left me rather thirsty."

She approached slowly, contemplating whether or not pouring the tea into the old man's lap would be worth the aggravation. She resigned to behaving, overpowered by the desire to look both beautiful and capable in front of the young general.

Chin-Hwa nodded towards his cup, smiling.

She poured slowly, trying hard to focus on the cup and kettle. She was defeated as she glanced towards Seung.

Had he been looking towards the cup, she would have perhaps managed to maintain her concentration. Had he been looking away, it would have been even easier. Such was not the case; Seung was staring straight at her, for the very simple reason that he could not bring himself to look anywhere else.

Frozen, she was snapped back to attention by Chin-Hwa.

"Xiu? That's quite enough."

"Eh?" She turned quickly, glancing down as she noticed the cup overflowing. She pulled back quickly, almost dropping the kettle. Upon grasping it again, she singed her hand slightly, stifling a yelp of pain as she grasped the handle again.

Her posture was as rigid as a steel bar, her face a deep shade of red.

"Now, would you be so kind as to fill general Seung's cup?"

She glared towards the old man, wanting to kick him in the face. Slowly and gracefully, she lowered herself in front of the cup, pouring carefully. This time, she made sure to stare at the cup and nothing else. She placed the kettle between them upon finishing, lifting the empty one from before.

"Should you need anything else, please ask any of the other servants. I have business I must tend to in the market," she had rehearsed the line carefully, walking out of the room as quickly as possible.

Seung continued staring at her until the panel had shut.

Affection is hardly ever instant, yet it has the tendency to begin with the same feature, no matter how faint it may be; admiration. Whether it is of an accomplishment, strength or some unique facet.

Chin-Hwa smiled knowingly as he sipped from the cup, recognizing this same feature in the face of the young general.

The panel slid open suddenly, Wen Lan standing with an expression of urgency as Sun stood behind her.

"General Seung, I have taken time to consider your offer."

He looked quickly towards her, his attention grasped.

"I thank you for your consideration, but I feel that visiting him for so long, only to bring in matters of the war, would be an insult. I would prefer to avoid any action that would risk my friendship with him."

There was a brief silence before Seung stood, bowing. "I understand completely and thank you for granting me an audience, lady Wen Lan."

She bowed towards him, then towards Chin-Hwa. "My lord, there is something I must tend to in the village."

He raised an eyebrow curiously, nodding to dismiss her.

Turning quickly, she ran ahead of Sun as the two hurried away.

"I understood that my request would most likely meet disapproval, yet there was some degree of hope in me that she would speak with him on my behalf."

"She values that which she has with him," Chin-Hwa nodded as he stood beside Seung.

"Oh well," Seung smiled. "I don't feel the discussion was a loss."

Chin-Hwa grinned, stepping into the hallway as he said casually, "Will you join us for dinner tonight? Xiu will most likely have returned by then."

Seung stood there, blushing very faintly before following after his old friend.




Wen Lan pushed her way through the crowd, forcing her way through the door. She stood there, staring towards the corner.

He sat against the wall, the hat with the orchid symbol placed gently beside his foot.

The patrons sat silently, staring towards her as she entered.

Min stepped out of the kitchen, narrowing her eyes. "Finally! Where've you been all day?!"

Wen Lan looked quickly towards the old woman, bowing deeply. "My apologies, aunt Min! There were matters at lord Chin-Hwa's estate I had to see to!"

"Well, next time send someone to tell me that! You know how many came in lookin' for plum tea! I can't make plum tea; I'm allergic to the stuff! I get hives! And then this oaf!" she waved her hand towards him.

There was a very sharp gasp from the patrons as they stared at old pain Min, who had just called the Demon of Kun valley "oaf."

He simply sat there, silent.

"He comes in asking where you are! I tell him you're not here; he just sits in the corner and says he'll wait! And you!" she waved towards Sun. "You run out of here panicking just 'cause there's a demon in the shop! Get some backbone!"

Sun glared, clenching her teeth slightly at the old woman.

"Bah, fine! Check up on him and then help me out, too many people ask for plum! Bunch of kids I tell you, they just order it 'cause he likes it!" She continued complaining as she stepped back into the kitchen, the sound of banging kettles and yelling heard before Sun's daughter ran in after her.

Wen Lan looked back towards Jung, stepping towards him carefully. She kneeled down in front of him, smiling softly.

The mask faced towards her, signaling that his attention was on her and her alone.

"I apologize for making you wait..." she offered.

"It's fine," he answered.

"I was worried that you would think I had broken my promise to come back for tea. That you would be offended."

"You wouldn't break a promise." He said it with a confidence that implied it was a basic law of nature.

"Never," she smiled. "Especially..." she trailed off, blushing faintly as she caught herself.

The mask simply stared towards her, silently.

"...Especially to you," she said quietly as she brushed a few strands of hair away from her face.

There was another silent pause, before he reached his hand behind his ankle, extending it towards her.

She looked down as he opened the hand, revealing a freshly picked orchid. Her face grew a bit warmer as she brought her hand to it, touching it.

As she took the orchid carefully, she felt the back of her finger touch against his palm.

It was not distant, nor cold. It did not infect her with an evil aura, or simply turn to shadow.

It merely confirmed that which she had suspected; that which she had known to be true, more so than any other. He was no demon born of war, nor any other hatred.

He was human, his palm warm to her touch.

She held the orchid carefully, smiling before looking back towards the mask.

"Did you bring this, for me...?" she whispered. She understood that this was not a moment to be readily shared with the other patrons.

Slowly, just as he had done each time she walked down the trail, he nodded.

She looked towards the other patrons, then back to him. "I think I should help aunt Min with the tea, or she might become even crankier...If you would like...May I walk with you back to the mountain, once things here have calmed?"

Without hesitation, his voice answered. "I would like that."

She smiled, nodding as she began attempting to affix the orchid to her hair. Still blushing lightly, she made her way into the kitchen, tying up the sleeves of her robes to make her work easier.

As the sun set, the tea house had already taken on its usual levity, the Demon becoming a natural feature of the shop.

When things had grown calm enough, the two made the trek back to Jung's cave, their conversation picking up from the exact spot it had left off the other day. Wen Lan shared with him the legend of a great Phoenix, Jung following with an old tale of a large mountain that rested upon the shell of a larger tortoise.

As they neared the cave, Wen Lan finished explaining about the audience she and Chin-Hwa had with Seung that morning.

"I refused, since I felt it might cause you to become uncomfortable with my presence."

"Why tell me now?" the mask glanced towards her.

"I felt as though you would want to know of the upcoming battle," she looked up towards the mask. "I would have felt guilty knowing about it and not telling you."

"That is kind of you," he noted, looking back towards the path. "I do not..." he stopped in his tracks, trailing off. The statement had begun naturally, his words stopping as he realized that which they carried.

She came to a stop, a few paces ahead of him. "Jung? Are you alright?"

Silently, he stared. Moment later, he finished the statement. "...I do not feel uncomfortable with your presence."

Hearing this, warmth spread over her cheeks yet again. She bowed gracefully, grateful that the night would do well at hiding her blush. "I thank you for that."

He continued walking, stepping towards the cave. Turning towards her, he bowed.

"Thank you for the tea."

She bowed deeply, smiling softly. "Thank you for waiting, and for the orchid." She turned, almost losing her footing. "Jung...May I come back tomorrow, to join you for tea?"

"I would enjoy that," he started. "Very much." The words were growing easier over time.

"So would I," she nodded, smiling. She turned, walking along the path. As the mountain threatened to obstruct her view, she looked up once again.

Though it was dark, she could make out his figure in the moonlight. He nodded his head slowly.

Smiling, she nodded back, continuing along the moonlit path.
Sign up to rate and review this story