Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Nine: Preparations

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Bai-Jing prepares for the upcoming battle, as Shui finds himself having to save Li Mei from a thieving duo.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-06-23 - Updated: 2006-06-24 - 4095 words

0Unrated


"You're sure about this?" he whispered.

"Will you calm down? It's no big deal; we just go in, take care of business, then run for it."

"Still, what if they're awake?"

"Then tie them up! Why are you so nervous?"

"You didn't see the soldiers, this morning?"

"No, what soldiers?"

"Some Earth Kingdom soldiers were passing through the town this morning!"

"Is that all?"

"What do you mean 'is that all'?! There're soldiers in the village, how can you be so calm about this?!"

"Because if I didn't notice 'em, then there obviously weren't enough to get worked up about. Now shut up and keep your head low."

"Fine," he grunted. "Just go over it one more time."

"You're an idiot."

"Going over it calms me down!"

"Fine, if it'll get you to stop whining. We go in through the back, tie up anyone who gets in our way. We take a cart and load it up with stuff, pile all of their valuables in the middle. We put worthless junk on the outside so no one notices. I ride alongside the guy; you hide among the stuff directly behind him with your knife. That way, he doesn't make a fuss when we leave the village."

"Wait, what do we do when we get far enough away?"

"If he makes trouble? We kill him. If he cooperates, we'll just tie him up and leave him in a tree or something."

"Alright. I just hope this works."

"When has this not worked?"

"When have we ever been in a village with soldiers, before?!"

"Quiet down! Geez, you're annoying. Just get ready, got it?" He lowered his hood over his face, keeping low to the ground as he passed the stable.

The second thief followed suit, still nervous.

The stable door opened slightly, Shui peering out with a grimace as he wondered when this mission would permit him a decent night's sleep.




The understanding of the upcoming battle brought an awkward quiet into the valley. Business carried on as usual, men still discussed the weather and local politics. Nobles carried on in their practices, children still played. Yet there was a tension shared throughout Bai-Jing, comparable to the sensation felt when standing in the center of a storm, understanding that lightning could crash down at any moment.

Soldiers sharpened their weapons. Earthbenders pushed themselves harder, gasping for air as they trained. Seung's forces were eager to demonstrate their skill.

Those who could not fight contributed as best they could. Merchants offered rations to the soldiers; children prepared small tokens of hope and offered prayers. Blacksmiths unified under one cause; forging weapons that would neither break nor falter in battle.

Silently, an old woman sat before a kettle of tea, her eyes narrowed as she fought off memories.

"Mother," Sun caught her attention as she entered the kitchen, brushing aside the cloth separating it from the serving area. "Is everything alright with Wen Lan?"

"Why?" Min glanced over her shoulder towards her daughter.

"She took a different kettle than usual this morning, it seemed unusual."

"I told her to take that kettle," she explained as she turned her attention back towards the tea in front of her.

"Why?" Sun set down a kettle, taking another in its place.

"It has a very special tea in it, one I brewed this morning and told her to bring to the Demon." There was an untypical stillness about the old woman.

"Eh? Why is it special?"

"It's the war tea."

Sun stopped, staring at the old woman.

There was a dead silence between the two, Sun breaking it in a hushed tone.

"I thought you said you'd never brew that again."

"I did."

"Then why?"

"Old man Chin stopped in, a week ago."

Sun raised an eyebrow, wondering how this had anything to do with her question.

"Told me about Wen Lan; what it was like when she arrived. Why she's here, why she's staying as his successor. Told me everything."

"Why?" she asked in submission to her mother's tangent.

"I asked, since it's always too busy in here for me to talk to Wen Lan about it. I was curious about her, felt it'd be a good idea to learn more."

Sun smiled faintly. "You asked because you like her," she noted.

"Bah," she muttered. "Anyway, she wants peace. Wants to make it so people stop dying because of the war."

"That doesn't surprise me," Sun set the kettle down.

"Me either. I think it's a good idea, though. This war's been going on as long as I can remember, I'm sick of it," she glared.

"What does that have to do with the war tea, mother?"

"Peace," Min stared towards the kettle she had been focusing on so intently. "It's a beautiful thing. And like all beautiful things, it's hard to hold onto. Tries to slip away when you aren't paying attention, makin' the effort to keep it. But her and that Demon..." she trailed off a bit, firming her upper lip. "I feel like they can do it. So I won't let them die."

"And you think the war tea's going to keep them going?" Sun narrowed her eyes. "You think that some magical tea is going to save them somehow?"

"The war tea invigorates the spirit, strengthens it. Makes it so that you can always stay standing, no matter how many you're up against," she explained, her focus still on the kettle.

"Father died because of that tea!"

"That old fool died because he insisted he was strong enough that he didn't need it; show me he'd come back from the battle without drinking it beforehand!" Min snapped as she turned towards her daughter, approaching angrily. "But no, he went in and got himself killed and left me to raise two small children who would ask me every day when their father was coming home!"

"Mother," Sun started.

"But he was never coming home, because he was too stubborn to drink it when I asked him to! Left me to sit and wonder every day whether it was my fault that he died or not, if the tea would've made a difference! I'm an old woman now, and I can't take anyone else dying!" Tears welled in her eyes as she clenched her fists, scolding her daughter.

"...Mother," she trailed off, feeling warmth in her face as tears came to her.

"That Demon stands out there every battle, and now that Fire Nation girl is going to stand right beside him just because they both believe in peace, and I can't take them disappearing, I won't have it!" she turned back towards the kettle, her shoulders shaking as she cried quietly.

Silently, Sun stepped towards her mother, placing her hands on her shoulders.

"...At least teach me how to make it."

Without a word, the old woman turned and hugged her daughter tightly, clinging to her. Moments later, she lifted the kettle she had been staring at so carefully, handing it to Sun.

"Take that to old man Chin, he needs it right now."

"Eh!?" Sun's eyes went wide. "Old man Chin is going to fight?!"

"I don't know," Min shrugged, her face still stinging from the tears. "But I suspect he knows people who will. I'll teach you to brew it when you get back," she turned her back to Sun, taking another kettle and a few herbs.

After a moment, Sun bowed obediently. Stepping out into the serving area, she was greeted by standing patrons.

"Sun," one of the blacksmiths stepped forward. "Go get your mother."

"Why?" she raised an eyebrow curiously.

"We ain't soldiers or anythin', but we want to help. We want her t'make all of us some of that tea," he explained.

Behind him, the other patrons nodded, murmuring in agreement.

"...Hmph," Min stepped out from behind the cloth, folding her arms. "You heard all of that, did you?"

"What can I say?" the blacksmith grinned as he shrugged his shoulders. "You're a loud old pain."

She smirked, closing her eyes. "Bunch of kids," she started. "You're gonna drink it just because your hero is. Fine then, I'll make the tea for each of you."

The patrons grinned, eager to get to work.

"It's gonna cost four times my normal price, ingredients are expensive," she said flatly.

The patrons stared, some groaning quietly while others muttered about the old woman never missing an opportunity.

"Fine," the blacksmith grunted. "Just go get it ready."

"Sun, go deliver that then come back, we've got work to do!" Min grinned, hurrying her daughter out the door. She turned, waving her granddaughter to seat and begin serving them all. Grinning wildly, she stepped into the kitchen.

There was a battle to come, but so long as she was contributing as best she could without holding back, there was little for old pain Min to worry over.




"Ready?" the first thief drew out his knife, now positioned just outside the merchant's back door.

"Ready," the second answered quietly, placing his hand on the hilt of his blade as he crouched behind his partner.

"Ready," Shui noted, crouching just behind the second thief.

"Eh?" the second thief turned his head, met by the flat of an axe slamming into his face. He fell to the ground as he drifted off to unconsciousness.

The first thief jumped back, sliding briefly to a halt as he brandished his knife. "Who're you?"

Shui tapped the unconscious thief with his foot, looking towards his opponent. "Just a traveler who overheard your plans," he shrugged as he smiled.

"Traveler, eh? So no one'll miss you!" he grinned sadistically as he rushed Shui, his speed managing to catch the boy off guard. He lashed the knife out horizontally, Shui stepping back to dodge. Taking another step in, the thief launched his palm out towards his face.

Shui ducked quickly, turning his body as he slammed the butt of the axe into his assailant's gut, checking his shoulder firmly into his chest to push him back.

He gasped for air, the strike having knocked the wind out of him. Clenching his teeth, he kicked forward again, this time drawing out a second knife as he twisted quickly.

Stepping in, Shui lifted his axe to deflect the first knife, his grip loosening before he could notice the second. The axe flew from his hands, lost in the night's darkness.

Grinning, the thief stepped in, stabbing forward from both sides.

His face tensed, his eyes closing as he took a firm stance. Stepping forward, Shui set himself between the thief's arms, extending his fist as a burst of fire erupted from his hand.

Eyes wide, the thief launched backwards. He rolled around frantically as he hit the ground, trying to extinguish the flames. He brought himself up quickly, turning to meet with Shui's fist.

He remained still, waiting for any action from either thief before accepting confidence in his victory. Noticing that both lay motionless, he smiled softly as he folded his arms, nodding with satisfaction as his accomplishment.

"Hey, now I recognize you...You're the Fire Nation soldier that stopped by our clinic!" Li Mei called out from the merchant's doorway, his entire family standing behind her.

Shui stared blankly towards them, closing his eyes and sighing as he realized his cover had been completely blown.




"Before you go, I ask that you drink this," Chin-Hwa offered a cup of tea to the general, nodding insistently.

"This doesn't look like any tea I've ever had before," Seung observed. "It smells unique. What is it?"

"A special brew prepared by Min. I've had a kettle prepared for your soldiers; please see to it that each of them gets at least a sip."

Sipping from it, Seung's face tightened. "It's so bitter," he noted.

"Yes, very. But I assure you, this tea will provide you greater luck in battle than the strongest blade."

"I see," he smiled as he glanced down at the contents of the cup. He took a second sip, this time deeper.

"Seung, I've taken the liberty of having your armor treated and strengthened by a local smith who I find to be very reliable."

Setting the cup down, Seung bowed towards his old friend. "You are too kind to me, lord Chin-Hwa."

"Any kindness I may show you fails to demonstrate that which you truly deserve, my friend," he smiled, nodding gently. "Your soldiers await you just outside the entrance. Would you prefer to don your armor now?"

"Yes, if it's no inconvenience to you."

"No, none at all! I had counted on it," he smiled innocently, before barking. "Xiu!"

Glaring angrily at Chin-Hwa's barking, Xiu approached the panel leading to the room. Recomposing herself, she slid the panel open gently with her back while holding the general's armor in her hands, a slight blush in her cheeks.

"Lord Chin-Hwa, I brought you the armor you had requested."

"Very good Xiu, I appreciate your efforts," he nodded.

Seung glanced at the armor, his attention more focused upon the one holding it.

"That will be all for now, Xiu."

"Thank you, my lord." She set the armor down carefully before Seung, her eyes closed for fear of catching his gaze in hers and making a fool of herself again. Quickly, she hurried to the door, closing the panel as she left.

Seung turned towards his armor, standing as he began equipping it. Holding the headpiece under his arm, he bowed again towards Chin-Hwa. "Lord Chin-Hwa, would you be so kind as to escort me out?"

"Of course, of course," he smiled, walking alongside the general.

As they opened the entrance doors, the soldiers stood at attention, awaiting their commander. Chin-Hwa remained at the doorway, nodding to Seung as he stepped forward.

After a few steps, a familiar voice brought him to a halt.

"Wait up," Gang grunted, leaning against the entrance with folded arms.

Seung turned towards the old bodyguard, slightly nervous in his presence. "Ah, hello Gang."

"You're not goin' anywhere without me," he stepped down beside Seung.

"Excuse me?" the general was confused.

"I'm goin' with you. I have t'make sure you don't die, so I can get my rematch." He grinned as he looked at Seung, his gaze alone enough to intimidate.

"Gang, are you sure about this?" Chin-Hwa stepped towards them, stroking his beard.

"Of course! Someone's gotta make sure he comes back alive!" He laughed as he smacked Seung's shoulder.

"What will I tell Wen Lan?"

"...Hmm," the old guard's expression became serious as he looked towards the soldiers. Turning back towards Chin-Hwa, he smiled. "Just tell her I'm off training to fight someone strong."

"I see," the old noble nodded gently. "Seung, have you any objections to this?"

Seung looked towards Gang again, confident that there was no answer that would discourage the old firebender.

"None, lord Chin-Hwa."

"Good!" Gang folded his arms again.

"Indeed. Gang, before you go, there is something I would like you to drink."

"What, the tea? I already drank a kettle of it. Let's go!" He barked as he approached the soldiers, throwing his fist towards the sky.

The soldiers, having trained with Gang for the past few days, felt a sudden relief that he was now on their side.

Seung smirked slightly as he watched him approach the soldiers. Turning back towards Chin-Hwa, he bowed once again.

"Thank you again for your kindness."

"Thank you again for your friendship. I wish you safe victory and passage. Please return here when all has been settled."

"Of course," he nodded. He turned, taking a few steps before yet another voice called to him.

"General Seung!"

He turned, blushing faintly as Xiu approached quickly.

"General Seung, I..." she became quiet as she drew closer, blushing as she stood a foot away from him. "I made you...Um...I brought you..." She looked towards the ground.

Lifting his hands, he touched the edges of the hat she was holding. "This...?"

She looked at his hands, then towards his face. Still blushing, she nodded slightly. "Y...Yes."

He stared as he examined it, impressed by the craftsmanship.

The hat was shaped like most of the Earth Kingdom hats, a shade of olive rather than dark green. On the center of the top lay the symbol of the Earth Kingdom, the sides adorned with a pattern that was pleasing to any eye.

"Thank you," he blushed slightly, before bowing. "I am grateful for your consideration."

"No, no," she waved her hands as he bowed, before bringing her hands in front of her, bowing deeply. "Thanks, I mean, thank you...For...Visiting lord Chin-Hwa."

"It was my pleasure," he smiled. "I'll be sure to again, soon."

"You will?" she asked quickly, before blushing. "I mean, yes, that would be excellent." Suspecting she was making a fool of herself, she turned quickly, running back towards Chin-Hwa.

Staring at her as she ran, Seung smiled before turning back towards his soldiers. He withdrew the headpiece of his armor, placing the hat over his head. As he caught up to Gang, the old firebender glanced down at him.

"Nice hat," he observed.

"Yes, I think it's excellent," his cheeks became slightly flushed. "Lord Chin-Hwa's servant, Xiu, made it for me."

"Oh, Xiu! You don't say!"

"You know her well?" he looked up towards Gang.

"Know her well? She and I've been working together for years! I know all about 'er!"

"I see," Seung thought quietly, before asking. "Could you tell me about her, then?"

"Sure thing! What should I start with? The time she was chased by turtle ducks or the time when she and lady Wen Lan came in completely covered in purple pentapuses?

"I hope they return safely," Chin-Hwa stroked his beard as Xiu stood beside him.

"Of course they will!" she folded her arms. "You think it'd take just an army to stop Gang?"

"Ha ha, I suppose you're right," the old noble laughed.

"The old man'll keep fighting until he's run out of opponents," she stared after them.

"I also hope for general Seung's safe return," Chin-Hwa glanced towards her as he continued stroking his beard.

She blushed slightly, her arms still folded. "Yeah, he should be alright. Gang's watching his back."

"Yes. It would be quite a shame if your boyfriend were to become injured during battle," he turned, smiling innocently as he entered the estate.

Xiu's face took on a sudden intense shade of red as she turned quickly towards Chin-Hwa. "He's not my boyfriend!" she yelled after him.

"Of course he isn't," the old man laughed as he entered the hallway.

Xiu stared after him, frowning slightly at the old noble before turning back towards the soldiers, now disappearing into the horizon. She hoped silently for Gang and Seung's safe return before hurrying to chase after Chin-Hwa.




"So that's it," the merchant nodded slightly as he sat across from Shui, Li Mei sitting to their side.

"That's ridiculous," Li Mei protested angrily. "I can do just fine on my own, I don't need a babysitter!"

"I'm not here to babysit you," Shui narrowed his eyes a bit, having taken his assignment rather seriously. "I was just sent to make sure you were alright, your father wants to make sure you come back alive."

"Well, like I said, I was doing just fine on my own!" she crossed her arms, closing her eyes.

"You were about to get robbed!"

"Well, technically, I was about to get robbed, she just happened to be here," the merchant interjected.

"Regardless, robbery was about to take place, and you would've been caught in the middle of it," he glanced towards Li Mei.

"No, I could've handled them just fine!"

"How do you figure?" Shui found himself becoming slightly irritated by the girl's protests.

She fished around in her sleeve, taking out a small packet. "Blinding powder!"

"What? Where did you get that?" the merchant raised an eyebrow.

"I mixed it the day after I left home," she slid the packet back into her sleeve, crossing her arms again. "It's easy to make, you just have to grind it up well."

"Alright, so what if they knocked you out first and tied you up?"

"I use this fish bone I sharpened," she explained as she searched around in her sleeve again.

"How much do you have hidden in those sleeves?" the merchant leaned over, glancing curiously.

"That's not the point!" Shui protested. "You were in danger, so I acted! And whether you wanted me to or not, I did. So you'll just have to deal with that."

"Fine, and now I'm telling you that I don't need your help, so go home!"

"I can't do that," Shui opened an eye as he glanced towards her.

"Why not?" she looked towards him with frustration.

"You're not the one who gave me the assignment, your father did."

"Then go home and tell him you failed!"

"How did I fail?"

"Well, I figured out you were following me, didn't I? That means you failed," she explained.

"Actually, he said his assignment was the follow you and make sure you were alright. That's valid whether you know he's there or not," the merchant noted.

"Whose side are you on?" Li Mei lifted an eyebrow curiously.

"Look, instead of just complaining, why don't you just accept that I'm here, go to wherever it is you're headed, then turn around and go home so I don't have to follow a whiney little brat anymore?" Shui was becoming agitated as he glared towards Li Mei.

"I was making good time, now I'll move slower because I have to make sure that you're alright!"

"I've managed to keep up with you and fend for myself; you're the one who doesn't know how to take care of herself!"

"I don't need you!"

"And I don't need you!"

"Great, so neither of you needs the other," the merchant sighed. "But from what I can gather, you're both too stubborn to walk away, so why don't you just resign to the fact that you're stuck together until Li Mei returns home?"

After a pause of consideration and stubborn silence, Shui looked away, grunting. "Fine."

"Fine," Li Mei scoffed, looking the other way.

"Now, where is it you're heading?" the merchant smiled slightly, having managed to make some headway.

"Bai-Sing," she looked towards the merchant, her arms still folded.

"What? What're you talking about?" Shui glanced towards her.

"What? I'm heading for Bai-Sing. Or do you suddenly not feel like following me?" she teased.

"No, I'm just curious as to why you're trying to find Bai-Sing, when your father told me that this lady you're after is in Bai-Jing!"

"Wait, Bai-Jing?" the merchant asked.

"Bai-Jing?" Li Mei blinked.

"Bai-Jing," he answered. "I don't even know where Bai-Sing is."

"It's on the opposite side of the great divide," the merchant answered. "You're sure you're supposed to be heading towards Bai-Jing?"

"Yes," Shui nodded.

"No, it was Bai-Sing, I'm sure of it!" she protested.

"If it's Bai-Sing, then why did your father say 'Bai-Jing'? And why is it that when I was dispatched to deliver a message to the lady you're after, it was addressed to 'Bai-Jing'?"

"Fine, maybe it is Bai-Jing! It's not a big deal! How close are we to Bai-Jing?" she looked towards the merchant.

"Heading from the Fire Nation?"

"Yes," she nodded.

"You overshot Bai-Jing by about two weeks travel," he answered.

There was a moment of awkward silence before Li Mei buried her face in her hands and groaned, Shui doing the same.




Wen Lan sipped from the cup, cringing slightly at the unexpected bitterness of the tea. She looked up towards Jung, who was having similar reaction.

"She insisted on it, for some reason." Wen Lan took another sip.

"I'm sure she had a reason, then." Jung took another sip, tilting his mask back.

The two had spent the morning talking calmly, the upcoming battle having little gravity upon their discussions.

There was a sound in the distance, Wen Lan standing quickly as she heard it.

Jung turned towards the noise, springing to his feet.

The two rushed to the edge of the rock shelf, staring out towards the valley.

Everything seemed at peace, the source of the noise not visible.

It rang out again, more recognizable this time.

The sound of flame and shifting rock.

"There," Jung turned his body towards a distant trench locked between two mountains just at the border of the forest.

The battle had erupted.
Sign up to rate and review this story