Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Salt and Sugar

Impressions

by SugarhighsP 1 review

Team Yondaime speculates and, scarily, hits quite close to home - as Kakashi finds out.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Asuma, Kakashi, Kurenai, Naruto, Obito, Rin, Sandaime, Yondaime - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-06-25 - Updated: 2006-06-26 - 719 words

4Funny
Disclaimer: "Naruto" © Masashi Kishimoto.
Genre: Humor
Rating: Pg 13
Pairing(s): None. Team Yondaime-centric with bits of Team 7-ness.
Summary: Team Yondaime speculates and, scarily, hits quite close to home - as Kakashi finds out.

Author's Notes: I enjoy doing one-shots. That way, when I update, everything is finished...and I don't have to drag my ass back in to continue something that gets worse every chapter in (my muse is on permanent paid holiday, damn it). This whole series will be a one-shot, in essence. The themes within each chapter should (usually) be related but the chapters themselves will be rather...well, unrelated. :) My lovely, lovely, ridiculous peppercorn fiction.



Fourth Impressions

As the only Genin team with a very talented Chuunin in its midst, Obito, Rin, and Kakashi were considered rather high caliber and were usually assigned missions respective to their skills. Yet even so, they did not escape the occasional grunt-work that their sensei swore even high-end Jounin had to do (sometimes) and that such "missions" promoted better team relationships. Surprisingly, it was during these dirty, degrading assignments that the mismatched team had the most interesting conversations.

"He's gonna be tall...and talented...and probably a masochist," Rin remarked despairingly, chin coated with muck and sweat. She toed a cow pat absently while taking a swig from the canteen Kakashi passed to her then savagely stabbed down with her own spade at the manure-laden field. She glared at the shit-stained shovels all three of them sported to the weathered fence their sensei was sitting on.

"Hn...powerful, most likely." Kakashi's shock of white hair drooped slightly in the unwavering heat and the air he breathed through his mask carried with it unpleasant hints of sweat, dust, and grime.

But when Obito narrowed his eyes against the white-hot sun overhead and glowered at their sensei, he managed to make out Arashi's wide, blonde, blue-eyed, irritatingly innocent smile in response...He scowled at the herd of smelly cows that was supposed to be their 'mission' and added his thoughts on Yondaime's future offspring:

"He's gonna be an asshole."

-

First Impressions

Kakashi should have seen it the moment he stepped into the Hokage's office to turn in his resignation from the ANBU line of duty. The Third had started off with enough pleasantries to put him slightly at ease: Was he okay going solo for so many missions? How had ANBU treated him? It wouldn't do to overexert himself on a simple reconnaissance as the Fourth wouldn't have wanted that. Did he like kids?...

The last caught him off guard but Kakashi rapidly regained his composure and demurely remarked on how, right now if he came in contact with anything remotely alive, he would probably kill it in ten seconds flat. Especially green plants and little children. But the old man wasn't Hokage for nothing; he managed to talk the infamous Copy Nin into a corner and once trapped, shackled the man to the worst fate ever brought upon ninja-dom...

...a Genin team.

Sarutobi told him it would bolster his return to civilization and sanity. Kakashi disagreed. Vehemently. Sarutobi literally kicked his ass out the door. All in all, there were quite a few pieces of furniture broken that day.

Then, after failing his fourth consecutive team in a row, the Third must have gotten fed up with the complaints filing in from the parents. The assignments stopped for a while and Kakashi breathed easy for two months. On the morning of his last day of vacation (or so he referred to it from that moment on), Asuma and Kurenai stopped under the tree he had parked his ass in and proceeded to use all kinds of jutsu necessary to drag him into the Hokage Tower.

There, hell came in the form of three thick manila folders with all the dressings of three ninja Academy transcripts. He opened each one in turn and was met with the sullen pictures of boy, girl, boy. Sarutobi simply smiled over folded hands. Kakashi exerted self-control.

The next day, the poof of the chalkboard eraser as it hit his head and the blonde, blue-eyed, cat-faced kid laughing like a maniac caused him to re-evaluate some of his past memories.

That evening, during his visit to the memorial stone, he told Obito that he had been right.


Sign up to rate and review this story