Categories > Original > Drama > Chicana

Defeat

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

“Yeah, but you know the rules, homeboy! Snitches get stitches!” I felt Smiley let go of my wrists. It happened in slow motion. Smiley tried to push me down, but not in time because Ricky’s fi...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-04-03 - Updated: 2012-04-03 - 3263 words

0Unrated
A/N: I've never been in a situation where a fight was broken up by the cops so idk how cops handle this type of situation or what they ask,so sorry if that part isn't correct.



Ricky’s tan skin looked golden in the sun. He was wearing baggy, black Dickie pants, black Converse and a white tank top. His eyes were squinted from the sun, but I could tell he was watching me. I stopped to look at him then made my way to my car. My heart was racing. I hoped he wouldn’t come over and try and start something in the middle of the student parking lot. I avoided eye contact all the way to my car. Ricky watched me the whole time. I quickly got into my car and locked the doors. I started the engine and made it safely out of the parking lot. But in the rearview mirror I saw Ricky bang both of his clenched fists onto the hood of his Cadillac.
I got home. I headed straight upstairs to find an envelope on my bed. It was mailed out earlier this month. I looked at who the letter was from. I couldn’t make out who it was from, but I recognized the handwriting. The letter was from my brother. I swallowed and slowly sat down on the bed. I put my stuff on the floor. I cautiously slid my finger under the flap to open it. Like if I wasn’t gentle it’ll crumble all to pieces. The flap came open and I slid one folded page from the envelope.
I flattened them on my lap and started to read:

Hey there little sister. I hope this letter found you okay. It’s traveled a long distance to get into your tiny hands.
I hope you’re doing good over there with dad. Tia told me you called her. I really miss you guys. Even Dad. I really want to be a part of your life again. I can’t say much for this sandbox. Just that it’s hotter than hell and I’m sweating my balls off over here. I have a few more months and I’ll be home with Tia. If you want to come and visit you can.
Sorry this letter is so boring. I don’t know what to say after years of not talking to you. How’s life? How’s school? Have any cool friends or exs I need to fuck up? I guess I can only ask questions.
I miss your long hair. I miss your smile and your laugh. I always see you in my dreams. I know it sounds a little creepy but I can’t help but picture what you look like now. It’s been a while. Obviously. How’s dad? He looking old yet? Does he got another women yet?
I want to wrap this letter up. When you write me back, if you do, give me your home number so I can call you guys up. I want to hear your voice. Maybe it’ll help me live another day out here.
I love you, little sister.

I could feel the tears forming. I feel there’s a knot in my throat. I feel finally wanted by all the family I have left. I smiled and the tears wet my cheeks. Armando wants to talk to me. I can’t wait to hear his voice when he calls. I want to hear what he sounds like. I jump off my bed and run to my desk. I sit on my roller chair and take out some paper and a pencil. I’m about to write when I hear the doorbell. I furrow my brows. Who could that be?
I jog downstairs and see the figure of a tall man through the curtains. I push aside the curtains and see Ricky standing there with his hands in his pockets. What the hell? “What do you want, Ricky!” I shout. I’m still looking out the curtains.
“I just wanna talk, babe.” He said.
“With my experience with you I know you’ll want something in return.” I spat.
“Just please open the door, babe! I love you! I never meant any of what I said.” Ricky said.
“No!”
“Please!” He pleaded. He sounded very sincere. Damn it! I unlocked the door and opened it.
“What?” I looked at Ricky.
“Can I come in?” He asked. I moved aside to let him in.
“What do you want?” I slammed the door.
“I just want to say I’m sorry. I don’t know where that came from.” I crossed my arms across my chest and pursed my lips. What a liar! He knew I didn’t believe him so he kept on going. “Look, it was the player I use to be. The guy all the girls hate but still want to get with. But I’m done being him. I’m done dating those girls that didn’t care about as much as I didn’t care about them. You’re not one of those girls. The moment I saw you working I knew you were different. And the first thing in my mind was that I needed you. I needed your help so I could change into the person I wanted to be.” Should I believe him? How do I know he’s telling the truth? So many questions were running through my mind. Questions I didn’t want to ask, but needed to figure out for myself. I sighed.
“Ricky, that’s sounds great. But I can’t.” I shrugged. I finally realized I had feelings for Marcelino. Ricky was just someone that got me to realize this. He just frowned. I could tell he was heartbroken. It wasn’t my intention to hurt him, but he had to know the truth. “I know it’s only been a short while, but I have feelings for somebody else.”
“It’s Marcelino, isn’t it?” He asked in anger.
“It’s none of your business.” I said.
“That son of a bitch!” Ricky yelled. “He thinks he can steal my girl! I’ll show that piece of shit not to mess with what’s mine!” What’s his? Now I was his property? Something he owned?
He stomped his way to the door and out. I followed him. “Ricky! Where are you going?” But he didn’t look back. He just kept on stomping away. “Ricky!” I jogged to his side and stepped in front of him.
“Now you defend him?” Ricky spat angrily in a huff.
“Ricky, he doesn’t even know I like him! I didn’t even know I liked him till earlier!” He tried to push passed me, but I stopped him with my hand to his chest. “Stop,” I breathed.
“Why should I? He took you away from me!”
“Because I know you don’t want to hurt him.” I said, and the anger in his eyes melted away. He turned away. “Because you don’t want to hurt me either.” I whispered. Ricky went to lean on his Cadillac. I followed him and stood in front of him. He hung his head low in defeat. “We can still be friends.” I tried to reassure him.
“But I don’t want to be friends with you. I want to love you as more than a friend.” He looked up and his eyes were watery. “And it hurts me that you don’t feel the same as I do.”
I sighed. “Ricky, I still do. But I have feelings for Ruben too. Even though he doesn’t know that I do.”
“Can’t you just give me one more chance? I will prove to you I can love you better than Ruben can. That I can be true and change for the better.” I looked down. “Please? I love you more than anything. Let us explore our feelings together. And in the end, if your feelings aren’t the same, then I’ll let you go.” That sounded fair. But how far would this go? Is he just playing me? There’s only one way to answer my endless questions.
“Okay,” I looked up and saw a light flicker in Ricky’s eyes. He smiled and hugged me tight. His muscles around me made me feel secure and safe. His scent intoxicated me.
“You won’t regret this, baby. I promise.” He kissed me on the forehead. I nodded. We stayed like this for a while. In each other’s arms.
“Okay, well I need to finish up some stuff.” I let go. Ricky nodded and unwrapped his arms from around my body. I could tell he didn’t want to let go.
“Okay, then.” He kissed me on the cheek. I could tell he wanted to kiss me for real. I could see he was trying really hard to go slow this time. I smiled and inwardly at how hard he was trying not to be all over me right now. I leaned in and kissed him softly. He grabbed my hips and moved me closer and deeper into the kiss. It was amazing. It reminded me why I liked him in the first place.
He reluctantly pulled away. I was left breathless and panting. Our foreheads resting on each other. “I’ll let you get back to your…well, whatever you were doing before I interrupted you.” Ricky giggled. I smiled and went back inside. I watched as he smiled to himself and got into his car and drove away.
I jogged back upstairs to write my brother back. I told him everything about what’s happened to me lately up until this afternoon. By the time I was done I had 2 pages, front and back, filled with my chicken scratch. I gave him our phone number too. I really want him to call. I hope he does soon.

It’s been a few days. It’s the weekend now, and I haven’t seen Ricky anywhere. He hasn’t called, texted or e-mailed. But I don’t mind the space, but I miss his kisses. His hugs and his scent. Mmmm.
I am heading to work. It’s especially busy today. For some odd reason everybody felt like soy burgers. It made me sick. But I can’t tell people what to eat. And I probably would get fired too.
It was time for my lunch break. I went across the street to get some Subway. The cold cuts were exactly what I wanted. I was half way through my sandwich when Smiley walked through the door. “Hey, what are you doing here?” I asked.
“I saw you through the window sitting here by yourself so I thought I’d keep you company.” He said and took a seat across from me.
“Well, that’s very thoughtful.” I smiled. But Smiley didn’t smile back. “What’s wrong?” I asked before taking a bite out of my sub.
“I heard you cleared things up with Nardo. And that you guys are back together.” He looked down and ran his fingers over the table. I swallowed.
“Yeah,” Was all I could come up with.
“If he’s such a douche, why did you guys get back together? Are you that stupid?” He glanced up at me but then returned to looking at the table with disinterest.
“No, I’m not stupid. He came over and we had a talk. And frankly it’s none of your business.” I took a sip of water from my cup. “But what confuses me most is that this guy is your friend and you’re telling me that I shouldn’t date him.” I looked at him.
“Yeah, but I’m choosing to tell you what he’s really like over backing him up just ‘cause he’s my homie.” He semi-shouted, looking me straight in the eye. Anger sizzled in his eyes.
“Why are you mad at me? I didn’t do anything to you!” I defended.
“Raquel, he’s playing you! It’s the same thing with every girl! They have a fight and he feeds ‘em lies about how’s he’s going to change and that he loves ‘em. But once they give him what he wants he throws them aside!” That accurately describes what happened last night. What the fuck?
“Shit!” I lowered my head in shame.
“Yeah,” Smiley said in agreement.
“That son of a bitch played me out like a royal flush!” I pinched the bridge of my nose and closed my eyes in anger.
“Look, as a friend, confront him. He hates confrontation, but it’s better to be straight up with him than leading him on.”
“Wait! How do you even know this?”
“I’ve seen him do it over and over again to all the girls he’s gone out with! Hit it and quick it!” Smiley said. “He’s been bragging to the guys how you totally believed every fuckin’ word he said! And how he’s gonna get some later!”
“What else did he say?” My blood started to boil and my heart started to race in rage.
“I tuned out. I could tell none of the other guys like what he’s doing because they know you’re a nice girl. But they don’t really know you that well to snitch!” Smiley was making perfect sense.
“Then, why are you telling me?” I asked.
“Because I’m not afraid of him!”
“Then, what the fuck do I do? I haven’t seen him in days! I don’t even know where to start looking.” I held my head in my hands in confusion.
“Me either. But I know where to start.” We ran to my car and got in.
“Okay, where do we start?”

After a long journey downtown we finally spotted Ricky chatting up two girls near the water fountain. I parked across the street. As soon as he saw my car his charming smile dropped.
I got out and headed his way. As soon as I was in striking distance my open palm went up and across his cheek. The girls gasped. “Hijo de puta!” I spat. “What do you think you’re doing? Feeding me lies and hanging out with these hoochies! Huh? Did you think I was that stupid? Did you think I wouldn’t find out?!” He turned to look at me.
“I’m doing what I do best bitch! Getting my way with every babe in town! I wanted to shake things up and go uptown instead of downtown. I never had rich girl before, so I thought I’d give it a try.” He smirked. My balled fists were about to strike when I felt gentle hands grab my wrists and pull me back. Ricky looked over my shoulder and glared. “What the fuck are you doing with my girl, homie? You snitch!” Ricky stood up straight and tall.
“She’s a good girl, Ricardo. You knew that before you even met her, but you couldn’t help yourself. You had to fuck up her life too!” Smiley’s soft voice went hard and firm.
“Yeah, but you know the rules, homeboy! Snitches get stitches!” I felt Smiley let go of my wrists. It happened in slow motion. Smiley tried to push me down, but not in time because Ricky’s fists clashed with my face and I felt myself fall to the cobblestone. My head pounded and my cheek get hot. My vision blurred. I heard the rustling of shoes and girls screeching. I hauled myself up and saw Ricky and Smiley having it out. Both trying to gain the upper hand. I watched in shock. Then I heard sirens. But I couldn’t make myself move. Ricky was trying to rip free of Smiley’s grasp. Then I saw flashing lights. Ricky broke free and booked it down the street. I watched as one police car sped after him and the other coming towards Smiley and I.
Smiley came over to comfort me. “Are you okay?” He asked. I nodded. “Your face begs to differ.” He cracked a joke. I smiled which made him giggle. “Don’t be afraid. The cops won’t do anything. They’ll probably just question us. Just tell them everything.” I nodded.
The car stopped in front of us. “Put your hands up!” One of the officers commanded. Smiley and I raised our hands. At this moment, would it have been another place, another time I would have cried. But Smiley was by my side, I felt safe.
Two officers got out of the car and handcuffed us. The cuffs were cold and tight. They walked me over to their vehicle. “What happened here?” A tall white officer asked me.
I swallowed hard, and prepared myself to spill my guts. “I came to confront my boyfriend about some unresolved issues in our relationship. I slapped him out of anger. We argued for a while and my friend, Marcelino, came over to restrain me from doing anything else I’d might regret. My boyfriend got mad and punched me. I don’t know if he was aiming for me or Ruben, but I kinda blacked out for a while and then saw Marcelino and him fighting.” I exhaled.
“Has he ever been physical with you before?” The officer scribbled on his little notepad.
“No, never. That’s why I’m not sure if the punch was intended for me or Ruben. He doesn’t strike me as someone who would hit a girl over a little argument because he’s never been violent towards me or any other girl I see him with.” The officer nodded. He finally turned me around and released my wrists from the cuffs.
“Okay, so, I’m not going to take you in. But if he does end up pressing charges for assault then you would be arrested and taken to court. But I am going to let you go since it wasn’t severe.” I nodded and inwardly sighed in relief. “Just go have a seat on the curb and we’ll be right with you with details of your friend.” I nodded and rubbed my pink wrists. I couldn’t hear anything, but I could see the cops turning Marcelino around and taking off the cuffs. I literally sighed this time. He came over to me. I smiled and wrapped my arms around him. He sighed into my neck and made my hair stand on high alert aware of every breath and touch. We finally pulled away as the officers made their way towards us. “We just want to let you know that we have the other male in custody at this moment. He will be going to jail for resisting arrest. Do you want to press charges?” The officer who questioned me asked.
“No,” I shook my head. Marcelino shook his head as well. We didn’t want the police involved in this.
“Well, if you have any questions or end up changing your mind here is our card just in case.” The other officer handed me the white card with black lettering. I nodded and they both left in their cruiser.
“C’mon, let’s get out of here.” Marcelino said and wrapped his arm around my waist leading me to my car and to the passenger seat.
Sign up to rate and review this story