Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Hospice Isn't Such a Relaxing Getaway After All

Waffle House

by Kaleidoscope_Eyes 2 reviews

Kenzie can't sleep.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-04-22 - Updated: 2013-04-10 - 1099 words

0Unrated
I jolted awake, vaguely aware that it was still dark out. I looked at my alarm clock. 2:45 am, I’d only been asleep for an hour. Ever since the night Ryan came over I’d been having a recurring nightmare.

I’m standing in a big, empty room. The only thing I can see is a window to the left of me, letting in a shaft of moonlight. I look around me, at the unfamiliar room and suddenly someone is there.

My mother stands at the other end of the room. I blink, unsure of what to do. She beckons me forward and I try to move but I can’t. It’s as if there’s an invisible wall in front of me. I hit the wall trying to make it budge, hoping that this is just my imagination. My mother turns as if to walk away. “Please don’t leave,” I say.

I hit the wall again, but she continued walking. “Please don’t leave!” I shouted this time, my voice growing panicked. I kick the wall, but it makes no difference. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. Please, don’t leave me!” As she walks out of the room I begin to frantically hit the wall.


I sat up in bed and wiped the tears from my eyes. I wasn’t even sure why this dream terrified me; it’s not like it was particularly scary. I opened my window and climbed onto the roof. There was something calming about the night. I brought my knees to my chest and sat like that for a few minutes before realizing that Danny’s car was gone. It was 2:45 in the morning, where could he have gone?

I crawled back into my room and picked up my phone, quickly dialing Danny’s number. It wasn’t long before he answered. “Kenzie? What are you doing up so late?”

“Couldn’t sleep. I just noticed your car was gone, where are you?”

“Dad and I went to the hospital. We’ve been here all night, you mean you didn’t notice?”

I paused. All night? Had I really not noticed that I was alone the entire night? I shook my head. “Sorry, I guess I just zoned out. I assume you won’t be able to take me to school...”

“Sorry kiddo.”

“It’s alright.” I hung up before he could say anything else and dialed another number. It rang a few times before a groggy voice answered.

“Kenzie? Why are you up so late?” Brendon asked sleepily.

“I couldn’t sleep,” I told him.

“Nightmares again?”

“Um...”

He sighed, but it wasn’t in annoyance. “Do you want me to come pick you up?”

“No...Could you meet me at Waffle House?”

“Sure thing.”

“And Brendon—” I began.

“Don’t bring Ryan? I know.”

Brendon and I had started going to Waffle House regularly. When I woke up in the middle of the night or when he couldn’t sleep, we met there. To me, Waffle House seemed like it was made for insomniacs.

By the time I reached the Waffle House on my bike I could see Brendon sitting inside. He had a coffee and two plates in front of him. I slid into the booth across from him. “I ordered for you already.” He pushed a plate of chocolate chip waffles in my direction and I immediately started drowning them in syrup. Brendon laughed. “I still don’t see how you can eat those like that.”

I stuffed a large bite into my mouth. “It’s the only way to eat them.”

“So what’s going on with you and Ryan?”

I looked up from my waffles. “What do you mean?”

“You just seem like you’re avoiding him.”

“I’m not.”

“Every time we come to Waffle House you ask me not to bring him.”

“I’m not avoiding him, really.” I countered, wishing he would drop the subject.

“Are you going to talk to him tomorrow?”

“I don’t know...”

Brendon rolled his eyes. “You need to talk to him again, you know. He already knows that you’ve had at least one nightmare.”

“Brendon please, can we just leave it alone? Why does it matter to you so much?” I was starting to get irritated.

“Because you two are friends, and you need your friends Kenz.”

“It’s not that big a deal!”

“Alright, fine. You don’t have to get angry.” He held up his hands in a position of mock surrender.

I sighed. “I know, I’m sorry. I just haven’t been sleeping lately.”

“I’m sorry, why not?” I raised an eyebrow at him. “Right, nightmares, sorry. What was it this time?”

“Same thing as every time.” I pushed the waffles around my plate, suddenly not very hungry.

“Did anything different happen this time?”

“Does anything different ever happen?” I snapped, immediately feeling guilty. “I’m sorry. I’m just really tired.”

“It’s alright.”

I looked up at him for a moment then back down at my waffles. “It did end differently actually,” I mumbled.

He leaned toward me. “What happened?”

“This time after she left the wall shattered around me. I ran to the door she left out of and threw it open but she was gone.” I felt a tear slide down my cheek and felt ashamed. I was crying in the middle of Waffle House, over a stupid dream! It was pathetic, I was pathetic. I wiped away the tears as Brendon moved into the seat next to me. He wrapped his arms around me and smoothed down my hair.

“I think you should tell Ryan about your dreams too, not just me.” I knew he was right. I was comfortable with Ryan the way I was with the rest of the boys. In a short period of time I had grown really attached to the four of them.

I leaned my head on Brendon’s shoulder. “I know.”

“Come on, it’s late.” Brendon took my hand and walked me home.

Ok, sorry for the delay you guys! I meant to have this out earlier but I've been extremely busy. Luckily my schedule has just cleared up so I'll have more writing time. I'll try to get the next chapter out ASAP.

And I'd like to give a huge thank you to my lovely beta ReddyDevil. She is quite the wonderful person, working her awesome magic on my story :3 Read and review please! I'd love to know what you think of this chapter!
Sign up to rate and review this story