Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Something Good Can Work

Unsteady

by wayuphighify 1 review

The doorbell rings and I open it instantly, I jump back from the sight. It’s actually Haley, on my doorstep.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-05-06 - Updated: 2012-05-06 - 1678 words - Complete

0Unrated
I sit across from Amelia on my couch, looking down at my laptop that rests on my lap, seeing pictures of Haley’s fiancé online. He doesn’t look friendly, more threatening than more.

Not exactly what I like doing at twelve at night, seeing my ex’s husband.

“I know I’m better without her,” I say, picking at the edges of the laptop, “I just… spent such a long time with her and-“

“Shut up.” Amelia cuts in, keeping me from saying anything more. “You are better without her. There is nothing else to it, because if you had her again, we know it wouldn’t work out.”

I try to make sense of what she is saying, but I just roll my eyes and close the laptop.

“I been having dreams… you know, about how she is so sweet like how she used to be… but I know she’s not once I wake up but I still wish she was. I want her to be like that.”

“She isn’t though, sucks huh?” Amelia looks at me, “Don’t be all upset. There is somebody for everybody right?” I shrug.

“Come on,” She says, grabbing at my wrists. “We’re going to the bar.”

“That’s not such a great idea…”

“I’m aware.”

--

We walk into the bar after Amelia got changed and ready, which didn’t take longer than I expected. The bar contains people drunk as hell from rounds, blasting music that people could only enjoy if they’re drunk.

“Can we leave now?” I protest, “I’m not in the mood.”

“No. You’re going to have a fucking good time. Come on, pretty sure half of the woman froze when they saw you walk in. Go get laid!”

“You sound like Ryan.” I stare at her. She looks significantly different from an hour before, her hair straightened with her dark brown 60’s hair cut and dark brown eyes shown off by some eyeliner. I however just put on a jacket and nicer shoes.

Amelia wanders off to go get a drink as a girl with black hair and big blue eyes looks over at me from a few feet away. She doesn’t say anything but smiles and winks; I raise my eyebrows at her, keeping a calm look on my face.

Pulls them in, every time.

I get a drink and join into the craziness, nothing of extreme content that will mess me up for the rest of the night. It’s fun dancing around and partying but considering I have to leave tomorrow night for my parents house to celebrate Christmas I rather not risk too much. Plus, considering Amelia is already having a great time means I’m the designated driver.

Girls get close to me that I can feel them at my sides, which is a feeling I appreciate.

“Hey Spencerrrrrr,” Amelia says, putting her hand on my shoulder. I smell her breath which is pure alcohol. I smile and look at her, laughing at her drunkenness. “These girls think you’re pretty.”

“We all do!” Says a cheery blonde that is right by my side, hanging at my arm as she flutters her eyes.

The girls laugh and nod, still inching up to me. I feel a tug on my belt loop and look over to another hammered girl and continue on.

I needed this. A night out, being stuck in the confines of my house and random stores make a guy bored.

“Come on, we can have way more fun than this.” A tall brunette says into my ear, a girl that has been at my side the whole time also. I wink at her and let her take me into a back room.

--

“AHA! So good ol’ Spence got laid!” Ryan claps his hands, laughing as we all sit on the couch.
“Merry fucking Christmas… Eve.” He holds up his beer and takes a sip.

“Well technically she only g-“

“TMI, Spencer, TMI.” Brendon interrupts. “But good for you.”

I actually feel like a moron for letting her, considering I never even learned her name. Oops.

“So when do you have to head over to your parents?”

“Soon, actually.” I look at the time, two thirty. It takes me about two hours to get to the house. “Can I trust you two alone for two days?”

Brendon raises his eyebrows and looks over at Ryan. Ryan winks. “Yes, yes you can.” Brendon says too quickly.

--

I approach my house after visiting my family, well rested and just sober enough to drive. We all are adults, partying did take place.

I get out of the car lazily and grab my bags, noticing how over grown the lawn is as I walk through it, me forgetting to call the yard services.

My phone starts going off as all my shit is still trapped in my arms, I drop everything and reach into my jacket pocket. It’s Haley, who recently has been trying to call every other day, leaving emails, and overall being annoying for a reason that I don’t know. I thought Amelia scared her away, but apparently not.

She broke up with me, she told me she didn’t love me anymore or want to talk to me for a reason I didn’t know until Sarah told me.

“Hey.” I say, sighing into the phone as the words roll off my tongue.

“S-Spencer,” Her voice is weak and quiet.

“What is going on?” I sound more concerned.

“D-did you know a-about-“ She is sobbing as she whispers, but I won’t fall for her trap again.

“How you cheated for two years? Yeah, I did.” I interrupt bitterly, I walk into my house to see nothing new, just the house.

“Y-you… I need your h-help.”

“What is going on?”

“I-I really n-need to talk to you in person,” Her begging tone rings in my ears.

“Okay, fine. You can come over.”

--

The doorbell rings and I open it instantly, I jump back from the sight.

It’s actually Haley, on my doorstep.

Except this is not the way Haley used to be. Her eyes are red and puffy with her right eye swollen and purple, “What the- what?”

She stands there with her small self, looking as though she can barely stand.

“You have explaining to do.” I say, motioning inside.

She nods, she walks through the door and trips on her way in, I grab her around her waist which she jumps at, “Ow, Spencer,” I loosen my grip and let her take a seat on the couch and I sit on the love seat. Her long dark hair is laying across her face, trying but failing to hide the eye.

“What the hell, Haley? Is that guy hurting you?”

“I have to tell you,” She says quickly, “I never wanted to break up with you. Or cheat. It wasn’t me.”

“Start from the beginning, please.” I say, very confused.

“So a few years ago when you were on tour, Sarah and I went to a bar with the other girls to have a good time, and Jordan, the guy, was there. I guess I had too much to drink, and he was being charming and sweet… he didn’t do anything wrong that night.”

“I don’t like this story.” I interrupt.

“Me either,” She continues, “After that night he kept talking to me over text, wanting to see me again. I agreed because he seemed to respect the fact that I had a boyfriend.” She stares down at the coffee table, thinking about what to say next. “The next thing I knew I had a stalker.”

“You didn’t tell me?”

“I didn’t tell anybody. So then when you left on tour again, he came here.” My eyes widen. He has been in my house? “He walked right in the door, and found me on the couch. I told him he had to go, but then he started getting rough,”

“He didn’t.”

“No, not like that,” She says half reassuringly, “he grabbed me and threw me against the wall then kicked me in the stomach. He told me that we have to be together and that we were ‘made for each other’, or else.”

“What did ‘or else’ mean?”

“He never told me,” She shrugs, ”So from then on he would take me out and try to be a nice guy, he was, but he still man handled me. It was weird I guess… I didn’t mind spending time with him, when he wasn’t hurting me…”

“If you’re asking for pity I-“

“I’m not. I just want you to know this. I broke up with you because he held a gun up to my head telling me that I better. He scripted it for me,” She takes out a crumbled piece of paper and opens it, tossing it in my direction.

“So why are you marrying him?”

She looks down at her ring. “I’m not. I’m letting him think that, but I just need to get him in trouble, and away from me.”

I look over all the words; everything she said to me was on that paper. “What did that man do to you?” I say through my teeth.

Haley turns around and shows me her bruised sides, and arms. I wince at the used to be perfect skin. “How did you hide that from me? We uh… used to spend time together.”

“Make up, Sarah taught me how to do airbrush, and to make makeup stick.”

“So… you’re going to ‘bust’ him?” I say, using air quotes.

“Yeah... I was wondering if you would help me… you’re the only one who knows…”

“Yeah,” she may be by ex, but that doesn’t mean she deserves what she’s getting. “So that’s the only reason you came?”

“No,” Her eyes go up to meet mine, “I still love you.”

--
Sign up to rate and review this story