Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Truth in Lies

Lizard and Boar. A Love Story

by CafeConLeche 0 reviews

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2012-06-27 - Updated: 2012-06-27 - 635 words

0Unrated
We were greeted by the smell of boar bacon and fried lizard eggs. I could see the chef in the kitchen diligently preparing the morning meals and his young assistant busily tried to keep up with the morning rush.

"Ah, Melvin and Lyra, good morning." I turned towards the voice already knowing who it belonged to. "Did you sleep well?" The innkeeper asked with a big smile on his face. His smile showed his age as it crinkled his weathered face. I could see Maira fidget, knowing full well what was inevitably to come.

"It was quite pleasant, thank you," was all I could reply. The innkeeper was a kind gentle man but he liked his stories, and ours was one story he was bent on hearing.

"Good, good, why don't you two sit and I can get you something to eat?" He was already heading towards the kitchen before finishing his sentence. Our story had sparked interest in the small town and our arrival had spread like wildfire. Andrall was a small outpost town that only really had adventurers pass through. When I had announced that Maira and I were not adventurers and that we were newlyweds instead, everyone in earshot nearly jumped on us with excitement. We got lucky by arriving so late; we were able to run away to our room explaining that we were weary from our travels. This at least gave us some time to refine our story that the townsfolk seemed so interested in.

As we sat down at a table the innkeeper was already back with plates of food in hand. "I'm going to be generous and only charge the story of how you two met and fell in love for breakfast," he chimed. I could have sworn that I saw Maira turn a shade paler when he said that. We have been traveling together for a good amount of time and have been using fake identities in each town but this is the first time we have insinuated a romantic relationship between us. I guess Maira was having a hard time trying to pull this rouse off.

"No, we couldn't. That hardly seems fair to you," piped Maira. Sadly the innkeeper didn't bite. He wasn't going to take no for an answer.

"Don't worry dear, a story like yours is worth a lump of gold in this town," he replied.

"Oh, alright. Now where to start. When I first laid eyes upon Melvin he was about to take on a whole gang of slave traders. They had kidnapped some of the women in his small village and he was there to heroically take them back. I knew that such a valiant man as he is a find of a lifetime and I set out to make him mine. Firstly I had to make sure he didn't get himself killed by the slave traders he was about to assault." I silently chuckled to myself. I was almost spot on with my prediction of what her story of our meeting would be. At least I wasn't an enslaved dancer. As Maira continued to tell our tale of love, the innkeeper smile grew wider and wider until it looked like his face would ripe in two.

"Ah, what a lovely story of young love. Thank you for telling us your tale. We don't have many books left in this town so love stories are a rarity," said the innkeeper once Maira was done. It was at this time that I noticed three larger men sit at the table to our right. Upon closer inspection I recognized them; we had run into them before...

(I pass it to you C. For any readers following, we try to update weekly so check back in a week for the next part!)

- L
Sign up to rate and review this story