Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Truth in Lies

In which our heros do many things.

by CafeConLeche 0 reviews

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2013-02-25 - 737 words

0Unrated
(C here, sorry for the delay. L seems to think that deadlines make for good incentives. I accidentally rebelled. But I’m back and he’s sorry! Back to the goods)


I ran my hand through my hair then tapped my fingers on the table three times. Maira continued her light hearted conversation with our inn keeper but I saw her eyes become alert as she scanned the room causally. When she spotted the table I had she flinched slightly. My pulse quickened.

“Lyra, are you alright?” the innkeeper inquired worriedly. Maira flashed him a quick smile as she slowly stood up. “I’m alright, though it seems breakfast is not sitting right with me. Melvin and I would like to thank you for your hospitality but it is time we leave.”

“Yes, thank you. Shall we?” I was mumbling as I put on the pack and every small movement our company made was unsettling me further. They had to be members of the blasted clan that wanted The Gift we protected. We had been very careful in our travels, using aliases and disguises to make sure to shake them off. Had they come here with purpose? Did they recognise us? “Come dear,” I said mindlessly. “We must be at DeLyon by dusk. Good evening sir.”
Maira waved as I took her small hand and realized that she was afraid, her tiny palm covered in sweat. I walked with purpose. Despite the fact that they looked like they were for pleasure not man hunting, you could never be sure with the Emario. I gave them one last purposeful look as we exited the inn, watching as they played betting games and amused themselves. This was far too close. We shouldn’t have been this close.

Outside we walked a few steps before steadily increasing our speed, trying to mime the actions of people around us. Mai’s nails were on the verge of drawing blood, even as she gave me relaxed smiles and chiming laughter. I followed her despite my beating heart. As we left the view of Andrall’s main gates we were stone still.

“Why do you think they were there,” Asked Maira after a long silence. “What could have lead them to the same tiny unknown inn as us?” She was removing make up and the glossy blonde wig as she spoke.

“Perhaps the same thing that lead us there,” I input, peeling off the hair on my chin, and patting out the soot in my hair. “Privacy. They aren’t exactly well liked and Andrall is very much off the map. By the beach but unpopulated by tourism due to the desert heat. It’s the perfect place to go to relax when you don’t want to be known.” I took my blade out of the satchel and clasped it to my belt. The anxiety in my body instantly relaxed as its familiar weight made me adjust my balance.

“Sounds like you really want to believe they were there for pleasure.” I turned to face Maira only to be met by the sight of her romp in the air as she bent to rustle the bushes. “The Gift has barely made it five freaking days away from Delyon and the hunt is already making my skin sag. Any more of this bloody desert travel, Zephyr, and I’m going to throw a fi- Oh yes, come to mama.” I grinned at Maira as she grasped her bow and quiver. There really is nothing like a weapon to make you feel at ease.

“No more of the desert. We are going to Tierra Alianza to meet with Daru, the informant. He’ll let us know where Aria has been hiding so that we can go fetch her to appease Lord Trytus.” She was fired up, I could see it in her eyes, but her mouth betrayed her displeasure. “What?”

She shuffled uncomfortably. “And…what of your sister?”

“It will wait. Hurry up.” I didn’t mean to growl, but even I could hear it. I was not ready to balance out everything. I had to take it a step at a time. I took a deep breath and tried to gentle my tone. “we head to the docks to catch a ship to Tierra Alianza.”

“Aye aye, Capitan.” Came the hurt mumble behind me.

(Maira is zingy. I like it. To you L)
Sign up to rate and review this story