Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > The Volcanologist

Lassen Peak

by Mazwe 0 reviews

The team are in danger as they hear rumbling from Lassen Peak

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-07-13 - Updated: 2012-07-13 - 463 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Fly up! Quickly! As high as you can!" I instruct the pilot.

We continue moving forward as we gain altitude.

Then, the loudest noise I've ever heard. Lassen Peak has exploded, sending pieces of rock into the air. But worst of all...

"PYROCLASTIC CLOUD!" Luke's blue eyes immediately widen, partially covered by his long dark fringe.

It travels fast, destroying everything in its path. Dannielle remembers that we are safe, and makes a video of what she can on her phone.

But we're not safe yet.

"We can't outrun it!" I tell the pilot "The only way we can avoid it is to go above it. We have to go higher!"

All Jared can do is watch in horror. Well, he's barely watching. He's in full panic mode. I can't blame him. All I can do is put my arm around his shoulders.

"Part of the lava dome must still have been molten rock. Otherwise, that cloud wouldn't have happened in the explosion" Dannielle explains.

I still have an anger in me because of what Jared had done. It was stupid! As soon as we're out of immediate danger and Jared calms down, I start telling him so.

"Jared, do you know how foolish you were for coming here?" I'm amazed at how calm I am with him.

"I'm sorry!"

I realise how glad I am to have him sitting next to me right now. Then I realise, that's why I'm so calm! I may be annoyed that he foolishly risked his life like that, but I'm more relieved that he's still here.

"Its not your fault Jared, its mine. It wouldn't have hurt to look at your work would it? I didn't want to give you credit. You did a great job. I was just worried about you, that's all."

Worry. That's the feeling Jared and Mom get when I go somewhere to investigate. Is that how he feels every time I go away? And I don't even call or text them to let them know I'm alright. I feel so guilty - the worst I've ever felt - when he says it is. All I can do is apologise for everything I've said and done to him.

"You broke a promise to me Shannon."

"What?"

"You promised you'd tell me about lava domes."

"I did, but are you sure you want to know?" He nods in reply, so I carry on. "Lava domes are slow eruptions of thick magma under the ground. They keep growing and growing. They are unpredictable and unstable, and can blow apart suddenly in a hot blast. Lassen Peak was a lava dome built on the ruins of Mt Tehama - a volcano which no longer exists - and it was the biggest lava dome on Earth."
Sign up to rate and review this story