Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > The Volcanologist

Finale

by Mazwe 0 reviews

Back in L.A., they team decide to present Jared's theory to their superior and study it further. Shannon considers taking time off work to rebuild bridges with Jared

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-07-13 - Updated: 2012-07-13 - 669 words - Complete

1Insightful
Jared had a bit of a shock, but he would be fine.

All 10 people in the park had been killed. Our superior understood - there was nothing we could do. Its not like we could go rushing in with my brother's brand new theory and say "We think the lava dome will explode. There's no way of proving it because they are so unpredictable, but you should close the park." We would have if we had evidence to support an imminent volcanic eruption, but this wasn't the case.

Jared insisted that I take his findings and present them to our superior. We did a full presentation, and he was intrigued. It would need a lot more research, but if its true, then Jared might just have saved many more lives.

His discoveries did us both some good, even if it did endanger his life. I now understand what I've put my family through, and I appreciate my brother. I realised I didn't want to believe his theory because I didn't want him to be right - I couldn't give him credit - but now I notice what an amazing mind he has.

Next came counselling and therapy. Jared needed extra helping getting over it - being so close to death - and I thought I needed to go too. I had neglected my family. I'd ignored Jared when he tried to tell me something. I'd stressed him out - he cared about me more than I'd ever imagined.

Returning home, he looks at the state of his car. He hadn't taken it to Lassen National Park - travelling there in other ways. He said that if anything had happened to him, he was clear about handing it over to me.

He takes a closer look at the car, and wipes it with his fingertip. A fine yellow powder was covering it. He knew what it was.

"Sulphur" I confirm it for him. "Volcanic fall-out. Don't wash your car with a sponge next time cos it'll damage the paintwork. You'll have to use the jet on it."

He thanks me for the useful tip before cursing "volcanic crap". He asks me where I'm going to investigate next.

"Nowhere in particular."

"Why not? You love that job."

"I love my family more."

I get a phonecall within a week. A Hawaiian eruption was underway on Mt Mihara, a shield volcano in Japan. Knowing that I've never seen one, Jared insists that I go. He knows how important it is - or once was - to me.

We do everything through the usual channels and I see my first ever Hawaiian eruption, complete with a clearly deformed magma chamber before the eruption. With no damage done to the local area and people evacuated, I can safely say it is an amazing sight. Hawaiian eruptions are the most poular amongst tourists and volcanologists because of their relative safety. But they don't come without danger - there have been explosions on Kilauea in Hawaii that have killed people, and this lava flow is the fastest we have ever witnessed.

But I make sure I text Jared every day without fail.

He's fully recovered now. Back to his usual self, writing music and wanting to start a band and make it big. Did I ever tell you I used to play drums?

Even with my passion for volcanoes, I've seen plenty. Dannielle and Luke say they can handle it without me for a little while.

We go to practise in Jared's bedroom - its where he keeps all the music instruments and equipment. I see something on his bed - something which really does surprise me. I can't believe he's kept it all these years. He's still got the teddybear I bought him for his 5th birthday.

So I pick up a pair of drumsticks and play some sweet music with my brother. Who knows what will happen...

A/N - So, that's the end. Hope you all enjoyed. Comments welcome/appreciated. Thanks for reading!
Sign up to rate and review this story