Categories > Original > Fantasy > Forest of Darkness

Danger

by ladydark 0 reviews

Romien and Kain meet some trouble, as does their comrade Tabris.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-07-12 - Updated: 2006-07-12 - 1664 words

0Unrated
Romien stood at the edge of the lake, his face blank as he skipped rocks into the water. His gaze was focused on the ripples the rocks made. Romien was so lost in thought he didn't notice the small, red eyed feline, approach him. The beast foamed at the mouth, its look wild and savage. The large cat crouched down on the ground, and remained still, preparing to pounce upon the rigid figure of Romien.
Kain appeared at the top of the hill, just before the thing made its attack. When Kain saw the beast, crouched and ready, he cried out a warning. He raced down the hill quickly as Romien jumped in surprise. Romien whipped out a pair of daggers he turned around abruptly. The creature leapt at him, claws extended and latched itself onto his body.
Romien growled and drove his blades into the beast, trying to get it off his body. He repeated this motion a few times, drawing blood from the cat. The creature in turn scratched at Romien, the scratches shallow, and bled lightly. Kain rushed up to the chaos and wrapped a cord of immense, magical power around the beast. Carefully he pulled the snarling cat off Romien. Romien hacked at it again, and slit its throat. Seconds later he realized what he had done and he let out a scream of frustration.
"We could have used this to track the power!" he protested angrily. He kicked at the bloodied cat, and sent it flying into the woods. Romien looked at Kain still breathing heavily. Kain stifled a laugh, barely succeeding and wrapped an arm around Romien's shoulder. He led Romien over to a rock and sat him upon it. Romien scowled at Kain, "What's so funny."
Kain grinned and took out a flask, He filled it with the clear, cold water of the lake and offered it to Romien. "The look on your face when you realized what you did was funny." He replied humorously.
Romien glared up at him, taking the flask. He opened it and stared at the water, then he grinned. Romien threw the entire contents of water onto Kain. Kain sputtered and shook off the water, shivering, looking at Romien's laughing face. He laughed as well and grabbed Romien by the shirt and threw him bodily into the ice cold water of the lake. However, Romien grabbed hold of Kain's wrist and pulled him in with him. He dunked Kain under the water. Romien squished out of the lake and shook himself off. Kain, still chuckling faintly, followed him and lay out on the warm, dry grass. He stretched out, staring up at the fluffy clouds, letting the sun warm his body. He closed his eyes and fell asleep. Romien grinned and lay down next to him, relaxing against the sun soaked grass, the scent of flowers filling the air, and drifted off into a light sleep.


Tabris walked slowly along the blue flowered path, letting his feet guide him. He stared up the sky, the fluffy white clouds rolling by as he sighed heavily. His mind wandered back to the first time he saw the Lady, it was the way she looked at them when she first saw them. That curiosity and fear that sparkled in her beautiful eyes, emerald eyes. It the way her soft auburn hair fell upon her shoulders, the way she moved... He shook his head, trying to shake clear any thought of her. He walked faster and came upon the orchard. Tabris stood there, his eyes wide in amazement as he stared at it. Fruits of all kinds, peaches, apples, oranges, and plums were just some of the fruit bearing trees. The ground was covered in various plants as well, watermelons larger than he could ever imagine, multitudes of berry bushes of different, and odd varieties.
Tabris picked up the basket and walked into the orchard. The trees were massive, but elegant. He reached up and started to pick some of the fuzzy peaches off the lower branches. Tabris worked his way along, and started to pick some of the ripe red apples. He kept to the blue flowered path, but a large golden apple caught his eye. It was off the path, but she said only to take the path to the orchard, didn't she? He didn't see the harm in going after something so golden, so heavenly. He set the basket down and stepped off the path. Tabris headed straight for the apple, all thoughts on reaching that apple. All of a sudden, the earth opened beneath his feet and he fell into the pit. Tabris landed on the ground hard and his head smacked against a rock. He closed his eyes and sank into a deep, undisturbed slumber.


Lady stared at Kalith, and then looked away, her body trembling. Kalith reached over and rested a hand under her chin, lifting her face up. She was pale, her eyes confused, and woeful. Lady whispered softly, "I can't believe it. I will not believe it. You cannot be my brother. This is impossible, how can this be so?" She stood up abruptly and walked off to her Dark Willow tree. Lady leaned against the tree, her face against the bark as she muttered to herself quietly.
Kalith stood up and followed her slowly, giving her time. When he reached the Dark Willow he found her sitting on a low branch. Kalith sighed and wandered over to her, leaning against the branch, he said in a low, sympathetic voice. "Forgive me Lady. I shouldn't have told you right away. This should have waited. Still, the fact remains that we are sister and brother." Lady ignored him as she yanked a dagger from the branch she sat upon. She began to whittle an oak branch, her hood drawn over her head.
Kalith shook his head and kept speaking tenderly, "About four weeks after you disappeared. I was born in our little village. You were seven, Lady, when you disappeared like that. There is no way you could not have known." He looked up at her, his eyes hopeful as he leaned against the branch, his hand resting on her boot.
Lady looked down at him and tapped his head with her fingers lightly. She murmured apologetically, "I did know, I just forgot. Kalith, that was so long ago. I can't even remember our parents, or my own name. The village were I grew up in. Anything and everything has been forgotten. Kalith, you know why I call myself Lady Dark? Because I don't remember."
Kalith drummed his fingers against the leather of her boot and stared out of the Willow's branches. His gaze blank as he stared at the sky. "I know your name. Sister, if you want me to tell you. I will tell." he said, his voice almost as bland as his face.
Lady pushed back her hood and lifted his face up with her cupped hand. She stared into his eyes, her eyes flashing bright green. "How do you remember my name? Why do you ever remember? For a matter of fact, how did you even know about me..." she hissed.
Kalith smiled and gently pushed back her hood. She allowed it to fall back, her hair cascading down the side of her head. He trailed his fingers through some of the soft tendrils slowly. "I just do my Lady. You wish to know your name? Well my dearest sister... your name is Faith."


Romien opened his eyes slowly, and saw the sun sinking down into the west. It was a beautiful sunset filled with purples, oranges, and blues. He sat up and nudged Kain. "Wake up Kain. The sun has set, and we should get back to camp. It's getting dark quickly," he said urgently.
Kain grumbled and sat up. He rubbed his eyes then stretched out. He pushed Romien down the hill, and stood up. He ran off before Romien could get him. Romien growled and scrambled up the hill, he chased Kain to the camp. As they approached the center of the clearing, they saw the Lady and Kalith. Both were in deep discussion, not noticing the duo approaching the Dark Willow. They had not gone unnoticed though. Lady Dark waved at them from her position on the willow branch.
Kalith turned to see what she was waving and smiled faintly. "Where have you two been? You look like you've been rolling in a haystack together." He smirked and plucked some of the dry grass off their clothing with his fingers.
Kain grinned and looked at them, noticing his brother was not among them. Romien stepped up and tugged the dagger out of Lady Dark's hands and stared at it. Kain looked up at her face curiously, "Where is Tabris?"
Kalith looked at Lady Dark with wide eyes, said under his breath to her. "That is true Faith. Where is he? He should've been back by now."
Lady blinked slowly and slid off the branch, landing on her feet gracefully. She looked at them then up at the hill. "Kalith come with me, there is a chance I may need you. Kain and Romien please go to your camp and watch it. If anything goes amiss, you'll know," she murmured gently. When they began to protest, she glared at them, "Don't argue with me, you know nothing of this! Come on Kalith, we must hurry."
Lady Dark dropped her cloak, and picked up her sword. She turned to the hill and sped silently towards it, and over. Kalith pursued her as fast as he could manage. Romien and Kain watched them disappear and headed towards camp.
Romien sat down cross-legged on the ground and looked at Kain, "Don't worry. I'm sure everything will be okay," he said to his friend kindly, offering him a spot near him. Kain sat down next to him, his gaze wandering to the hill and remaining there.
Sign up to rate and review this story