Categories > Original > Fantasy > Forest of Darkness

A Surprise for All

by ladydark 0 reviews

Dawn comes, and the travelers are suprised by whats in store. As is Lady, for what she learns..

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy - Published: 2006-07-12 - Updated: 2006-07-12 - 1127 words

0Unrated
The dawn rose the next morning bright, and colorful. The Lady awoke before anyone else, the he use of your help. I have been searching for the past year. I haven't had any luck," she whispered. Lady Dark sighed heavily and lowered her gaze. Her figure bending over slightly with the despair burdening her soul. The travelers looked at one another and conversed quietly. After awhile Tabris stood up and walked over to the Lady.
Tabris placed a hand on her shoulder and said, "We will help you Lady. Both Kain and I are superior swordsman and powerful magic. Romien has the powers of his ancestry, and I believe the little human fellow, I mean Kalith. He is very good at archery, and also has the gift of healing. He saved an entire village from a disease. We will use all our power and strength to help you find and purge the forest of this evil.''
Lady bowed her head, allowing the hood of her cloak to hide her face. She remained speechless for a time, not moving even when Tabris sat next to her. When she finally spoke her voice was slow and quiet, "Why do you men wish to help me. You've heard the other stories as well, no doubt. Why would you want to help me? The 'cruel and heartless wretch'?" she asked him, the last few words were full of scorn.
The three remaining travelers sat down in front of her, looking up into her shadowed face. Tabris' fingers tightened their grip on her shoulder, pushing her hood back. His words were kind as he spoke, "Because Lady, if you were as heartless, as you were claimed to be, you would have given us no fire and no place to sleep. You could have thrown us out, or killed us. You did not do such things. We wish to help you, no one deserves to be challenged this way. An unknown, and unseen evil."
Tabris removed his hand, but remained seated next to Lady Dark. Lady absent-mindedly rubbed the spot where his hand had rested. Kalith scooted closer, pressing against her leg as Kain stood up. Romien stood up as well, with the help of Kain, and looked at his companions.
Romien looked at Lady, then at the others. "If we want to find this evil. We each have to take a separate way. I do not suggest for us to go alone however. Lady, you know the forest well. What if we each paired up and searched?" he asked, looking at Lady Dark curiously.
Lady Dark looked at him and shook her head slowly, "As I've said. I have already searched. I believe the only way for us to find this, this evil is if we catch a rogue animal and track its power. I would have done it sooner but I cannot catch a rogue by myself. It's either kill it, or try to catch it and be killed. But if you help, we may be able to catch one and track the extra power."
The other travelers stared at her. Romien shuddered slightly and stepped back, looking at the Lady warily. "Extra power? What do you mean extra power..." he asked in a hushed tone.
The Lady shrank back slightly and looked to the side, "Err... The rogues have the power to regenerate, and multiply. I thought it would be a good idea to give them this power. To help protect the forest, this was before some turned rogue though," she replied meekly, keeping her eyes lowered.
Romien groaned and covered his face with his hands. "This is just wonderful! Rogue animals running around with the power to regenerate and multiply. All being controlled by an evil set on destroying you and the forest! Wonderful, just wonderful!" he cried out. Romien stood up abruptly and walked off. He disappeared from view as he headed for the other side of the clearing.
Kalith stared at Romien as he walked off, and he looked over at Tabris. "Do you think he will be alright?" he questioned carefully.
Tabris looked over at Kalith and nodded. "He will be fine. He just doesn't enjoy an extra difficulty. He will get over it. I hope." he responded slowly.
Kain stood up and raced off after Romien, disappearing over the hill. Tabris watched them go then he looked over at the Lady, "My lady? Is there a place where I can gather food for us to eat? We have supplies. Still, they are low and no doubt not very good anymore," he questioned timidly.
The Lady Dark nodded and pointed east. Over a hill, and beyond the rise. "Go over that hill and walk along the blue flowered path, That will lead you to a fruit orchard. Only follow the blue flower path, for if you don't you may be led to a more dangerous place. This may be my clearing but even I don't know all the mysterious within it," she answered formally, staring up at him as she handed him a large basket.
Tabris stood up and bowed slightly to her. He took the basket and turned to face Kalith, looking at him inquiringly, "You coming Kalith?"
Kalith shook his head, his gaze once again on the Lady. "No, you go ahead." Kalith told him quietly, scooting up onto the log next to the Lady Dark. Tabris looked at him peculiarly but he walked off, over the hill and out of sight.

"You want to talk to me. I saw it in your eyes when you touched me with your magic. You must have sensed the healing power within me. Now is a good time to talk if you have any questions, Lady." Kalith informed her, searching her face.
Lady looked at him and smiled faintly. She reached out and touched the top of his head, wrapping a very small thread of unnoticeable power within his soul's magic. He shifted slightly, but kept his eyes on her own. "You are correct Kalith. I did want to talk to you. My main question is who are you? I mean, you looked like you wanted to see the clearing and all. There is another reason why you're here. So tell. Why you are really here?" she murmured quietly.
Kalith sighed deeply and straddled the log as he faced her. "Lady, you want to know who I am? Why I'm here?'' Lady Dark nodded hardly, her eyes never leaving his face. "I am here Lady, because I have come to tell you something extremely important. I wish we could get to know each other better before this moment. As it is, I am required to inform you... that I am your brother Lady. Your younger brother Kalith."
Sign up to rate and review this story