Categories > Original > Fantasy > Forest of Darkness

Meeting of the Strangers

by ladydark 0 reviews

four strangers appear in the clearing, Lady goes to meet with them.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Published: 2006-03-19 - Updated: 2006-03-19 - 2079 words

1Original
Mist lay thin across the clearing, giving the place a foreboding aura. At the tunnel there stood four strangers, huddled together. They stared in astonishment at the sight of the clearing, the one place they had pursued for a long time. Despite the gloomy weather, this is what they had been hoping to see, The Clearing of the Lady Dark. The group gazed in shock at the heart of the clearing, for there was the Lady herself. One by one, they cautiously walked further into the clearing, silently walking up to her still form leaning against a giant willow tree.
The Lady watched them approach, her face blank, save for the slight confusion in her eyes. She didn't make a sound or a move as the men approached. Lady Dark was bewildered to see not one, nor two, but four strange men walk into her clearing. Not a single soul had ever entered her clearing before, it could not happen, should not happen. The Lady watched them closely, a bit fearful but more than that, she was curious. Slowly, she stepped forward, towards the group, though she stopped a few feet from her Willow tree, wary of the men. The foursome paused; they stared at her carefully
"Welcome to the Forest of Darkness" she said with a quiet and curious voice. The Lady bowed slightly, her eyes never leaving their faces. Each of them in turn bowed to her, keeping their eyes on her as they each introduced themselves in turn.
The youngest of them stepped forward. He was a short fellow, barely over five feet of height, his dirty blonde hair hung just below his ear. The young man inclined slightly as he bowed respectfully to the Lady Dark, looking up at her face.
''Greetings my fair lady, my name is Kalith. I speak for us all, I believe, when I say we do not mean you, or your clearing harm. We have heard of your forest, like many others and we wished to see if it was as truly magical as the tales told. I do not know much of those three for I only met up with them on the road, but rest assured I do not mean you or your forest harm'' he told her softly, his sea green eyes full of shy assurance.
Lady Dark watched him closely for any hint of dishonesty but she sensed none. Reaching out, she placed her hand on his cheek. Her emerald green eyes searched through his eyes. Her hand dropped after she sensed a deep power of healing within him, she smiled faintly at him before turning to the others.
The seemingly youngest of the trio bowed low to the Lady Dark. He was of a fair height, not nearly to the Lady's own five foot ten.
''Good day to you, Lady Dark. You may call me Romien and this,'' he said with a slightly authoritative voice, and he beckoned the other two with his hand, motioning them to step forward. ''...this is my friend Kain, and his older brother, Tabris. As Kalith said, we mean you no harm. We are humble travelers wishing to gaze upon the forest, the clearing, and you. In all its magnificence, and glory.''
Once more, the Lady watched him carefully, but sensed no lie out of him. Again, she bowed slightly to each one of them in turn. Silently, she wrapped an invisible thread of magic around each of them. Her eyes widened in shock as she stared at them. The trio stepped back slightly, almost guessing what she had discovered. The brothers looked at the ground then at her, their eyes blank. The other shifted nervously as he kept his gaze upon the Lady. Lady Dark stared at the trio hard, her green eyes flashing curiously.
"You two, like me, you are vampires. But you, Romien, you are of the dragon blood... humble travelers indeed!" she said almost viciously. Her hands at her hips as she stared up at them, her emerald eyes glinted with cold fire.


After the Lady had spoken, a silence fell upon the travelers. The trio stepped back more as Kalith turned to face them. He looked at his fellow companions with hurt, but angry eyes. The four men just stood there, Lady Dark at the center.
After a time Kalith took a deep breath, and stepped back from the trio. "Is this true? What the Lady Dark tells us? You two are vampires, and you, Romien, are draconian? Why didn't you tell me before?'' Kalith said, his voice hoarse and hushed.
Kain shrugged casually and glared at the little companion, towering over him by a fair amount. He pushed a loose strand of chestnut hair out of his face and stared down at Kalith. "We figured it was none of your business what we were," he replied harshly.
Kalith shook his head quickly and stepped further away, his face pale. Kain looked at him, his eyes narrowing. Tabris looked at the exchange and put a hand on his brother's shoulder, shaking his head slowly. Kain looked up at him and then back at Kalith with a sigh.
"Oh stop it Kalith. We never would have tried to take some of your blood. Don't worry about that, we prefer female blood, much sweeter then that of a male.'' Kain said a bit softer.
Kalith shifted nervously and glanced at Lady Dark, his eyes drifting back to them slowly. "It is my business if I'm traveling with two vampires. I'm sure Romien and his dragon power wouldn't have done me harm. But what if you couldn't control the urge for blood? What would I be able to do? Nothing!'' Kalith squeaked, and his body trembled as his eyes looked around quickly. Without warning he dashed back into the forest.
Kain growled and went after him. Soon after he came back, holding the squirming body of Kalith. "Oh stop it Kalith! If wanted to hurt you we would have done so! At the beginning at the trip, no harm, you still have all your body parts. Every drop of your blood, basically. Stop squirming, or else we will hurt you!'' Kain said angrily, his eyes flashing a pale red as he gazed upon Kalith.
At Kain's last comment the Lady raised her hand and spoke loudly. Power ringing in her voice as she stared at the four. ''Silence all of you, there shall be no fighting in my clearing. I don't know how you four got to here. I don't know what your intentions are. However, I do know that if you do not end your fighting now. None of you will leave this clearing alive...''
Stunned into silence, the four looked at one another quickly and then back at her. The brothers eye's blank, the other companions eyes wide. Kain dropped Kalith onto the damp grass and stepped away from him, turning to face Lady Dark. Romien helped Kalith onto his feet and kept himself between Kain and him.
Tabris stepped forward, closer to the Lady. His emotionless green eyes looked down into hers as he spoke for the first time. ''Forgive them Lady. I understand where Kalith is coming from, and in his place I would too, would be afraid and angry. Please don't turn us away from this place. We all do appreciate you keeping us in here as long as you have. We will stop our argument." He consoled her gently, his hand held before him.
Lady Dark lowered her hand and looked at him. She stepped back and turned away from them. Tabris put his hand on her shoulder carefully, but she smacked his hand hard, shaking her head. He pulled it back, his face blank as he stepped away.
"You men may stay. No more arguments though, from any of you. I have no rules because I have never had travelers in my clearing before. Though anything that I do say I expect to be followed without complaint.'' she said to them, her back still to them.
Kalith looked at her, then looked at the others. The companions exchanged looks and then looked upon the figure of the Lady. ''Yes lady," Kalith murmured quietly.
Lady turned to face them. She stared angrily at the others, growling quietly. The trio bowed their heads quickly and looked at her with blank expressions. "Of course lady." "Yes Lady Dark" "Yes, my lady" the chorused as one.


Lady wrapped her cloak around herself tighter, her hood sliding over her deep auburn hair. She strode forward, heading northwest. The group followed at a distance, their eyes wandering at the wonders in the clearing. When they reached the corner they found a fire burning bright. Lady waved her hand at the forest, and four logs flew out. They landed in a circle around the fire. She stood in the bright firelight, her face thrown into shadows by the firelight.
''You may stay here for tonight. Under no circumstances may you wander into the forest. Not yet anyway. If you do have an urge to wander, you will be killed. No matter what your strength may be. Now sleep. I shall return in the morning," at her last word she turned and walked out of the light of the fire.
The travelers stepped into the circle of logs and dropped their packs. Lady walked off to the Willow tree at the center. She was barely visible under the darkness.
Kalith grumbled quietly as he laid down his cloak. He kept far away from the others, as was possible. Kalith sat against the log and stared into the fire, deep in thought, his face tight. Kain looked at Kalith, and shook his head, Humans, always assuming the worst of vampires, he thought to himself. He looked over at Tabris and sighed. Kain laid out his blanket as far from Kalith as he could and sat down against a log, lost in thought. Romien established his own sleeping area at a log near Kalith. He looked over at Tabris and wondered what he was thinking. Tabris was staring off at the great willow tree, at the figure of the Lady Dark. Romien walked over to Tabris and tapped him on the shoulder.
"Tabris, you can't spend your time gazing upon the Lady. It is getting late. You should make a place to sleep, and get some rest," Romien told him coyly, looking at Tabris with a curious look.
Tabris jumped in surprise at the tap and looked at Romien. His eyes flashed gold, but then looked away. His face blank and he nodded. He walked over next to Kain and set up his blanket. Laying down he turned his gaze up to the blanket of stars, slowly drifting off to sleep. Kain yawned looking over at Tabris, and he lay down. Kain faced away from his brother, still pondering the encounter as he drifted off into a waking sleep.
Kalith snapped back to reality and looked around. Noticing his movements, Romien wandered over to Kalith. Romien sat next to Kalith and stared into the fire then pushed Kalith playfully. He grinned and looked at his fellow companion hopefully.
Kalith looked over at him then back at the fire. He scooted away from him slightly, and muttered quietly, "What do you want...''
Romien sighed and placed a hand on Kalith's shoulder. Speaking softly he replied, "I am sorry for not telling you about us. I honestly did want to tell you, but they decided against it. I don't know why they chose that but I am truly sorry.''
Kalith looks at him, a slight surprise showing in his eyes, before he looked up at the moon. "Its alright I supposed. Its just... its not a very good thing when you travel with three strangers. Then find out from another source that they are vampires and a draconian. Do you understand where I am coming from Romien?'' he asked quietly.
Romien nodded slowly, moving his hand off of Kalith's shoulder. He laid out a blanket on the log next to Kalith and he settled upon it. "Good night Kalith.'' he said humbly as he closed his eyes.
Kalith looked over at him and lay down as well, turning his back to his friend. "Good night, Romien." He replied in a affectionate whisper. The warmth from the fire still spread among them. Kalith fell into a restless sleep, still thinking about what he learned.
Sign up to rate and review this story