Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > From Under The Cork Tree

Nobody Said It Was Easy

by moocow 3 reviews

Lizzie realizes what she must do, and Pete wakes up, low and behold, alive, much to his dissaproval and becomes an emotional mess. Lizzie finds herself stuck with odd decisions and Patrick tries to...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Warnings: [!!] [!!!] [?] - Published: 2006-07-13 - Updated: 2006-07-14 - 1755 words

1Moving
Chapter 9- Nobody Said It Was Easy

"Come up to meet you, tell her I'm sorry
You don't know how lovely you are"


"LIZ! Wake up, you have to wake up" Lizzie shot her eyes open and saw the blurry image of Joe shaking her, his eyes wide open and worry dripping off every word.
"What's going on?" she asked throwing her legs over the side of the bed. Joe gulped and took her hand, helping her stand.
"Brace yourself," he muttered. Lizzie raised an eyebrow and opened her mouth slightly.
"Why?" she asked and Joe gripped her by the shoulders.
"Patrick found Pete..." Lizzie blinked.
"And? Where is he now?" she asked grabbing his wrists. Joe squeezed her shoulders for a moment.
"When Patrick found him...Pete was out, cold...Lizzie, Pete's in the hospital," Lizzie let her eyes widen and slightly stumbled forward, having to grab Joe's shoulders before she fell completely. He helped her get her balance back up and ordered her to change.

"I had to find you
Tell you I need you
Tell you I set you apart"

"What happened?" Lizzie asked as soon as she entered the waiting room.
"He...tried to kill himself...overdosing on Ativan,"

"Tell me your secrets
And, Ask me your questions
Oh, let's go back to the start"


Lizzie stood standing next to Pete's hospital bed. She let a few tears escape her eyes. Pete just lie there, arms at his sides, just peaceful looking for the state he was in. He had no idea he was alive, thanks to Patrick. Lizzie blinked and watched as his chest rose up and down, and the green lines on the heart monitor silently beeped along with it. She sighed and listened as footsteps approached her. Lizzie soon felt arms turn her away from the bed and take her into their arms.
"Lizzie," she closed her eyes at hearing Patrick's voice. "I...I don't know what..." he paused. The hat clad 20 year old had nothing to say. He breathed out and shook his head, leaning back from the hug and standing in front of the emotionless Lizzie.
"It's my fault," Lizzie whispered and Patrick raised an eyebrow. "I keep pushing him away...I don't want him to hurt me again...after all these years of having to put up with his teasing and taunting, telling me we were best friends...I don't want to be hurting anymore...and by pushing him away, I've almost killed him," Patrick raised a hand and brushed some of her escaping tears away.
"Lizzie..." Lizzie shook her head.
"Don't tell me other wise Patrick," she paused and turned back to look at Pete. "If I leave him he dies, if I stay..." she paused again and sighed. "If I stay, my heart will continue to break each and every day I see him ignoring my emotions...my true emotions," Patrick couldn't say anything to stop her from what she was saying, and what she was leading to. He knew that deep down, she was right. Pete was silently eating her heart out, without even realizing it. Even that message wouldn't convince her otherwise. Patrick felt extremely guilty for that, he had been messing with Lizzie's phone and listened to the voice mail Pete had left. Without meaning to, he deleted it, not wanting Lizzie to deal with it. Blinking he watched as Lizzie shook her head slowly.
"I'm...I'm gonna head back home, I have work tomorrow...and the rest of the week..." Patrick sighed.
"Liz...I'll call you and tell you if there any new news," he told her and she pursed her lips together, looking down at the ground.
"Are you guys going back to your homes?" she asked and Patrick shrugged.
"I'm gonna take care of Pete for a while...see if anything changes...you can always hop the fence and visit, you know," Patrick said hopefully. Lizzie bit her lip and a moment passed before she shook her head.
"Pat, I...I'm sorry, but...I don't think that's going to be happening any time soon," she whispered and Patrick sighed, giving up on ever getting the two to talk again.
"Then don't blame me when he really does kill himself, Lizzie," Lizzie looked up, a little shocked. Narrowing her eyes, Lizzie turned, ready to walk away.
"Thanks a lot, Patrick," she spat and looking down at Pete before walking away. Patrick sighed and gasped as Pete's hand clenched the sheets by his hand. When Patrick looked up to his friend's face, his eyes were wide open, the tears sliding from the corner of his eyes to the pillow.
"Pete..." he said, voice cracking and Pete shook his head.
"I don't deserve to live..."

"Running in circles
coming up tails
Heads on a science apart
Nobody said it was easy
Oh; it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said this was easy,
No one ever said it would be this hard
Oh, take me back to the start"



"Liz, what's wrong?" Pete stood outside of her bathroom, his worried voice muffled by the think white door. Lizzie sat on the counter, shaking and letting the tears run down her face. Without realizing it, Pete broke down the door and saw her sitting there, almost instantly scooping her up into his arms. Not after more than five moments later he realized there was a warm liquid seeping through his shirt, blood. When he looked down and saw her wrists up against his white shirt, he grabbed her forearms and looked down at her bleeding wrists.
"Lizzie, why?" he croaked, letting the tears develop in his own eyes.
"He...he cheated on me, then dumped me..." she sobbed out and Pete took her face in his hands.
"Promise me, never again," after many bandages and white gauze later, Lizzie and Pete sat under the cork tree, looking up at the starry night sky.
"I'm sorry, Pete," she whispered and Pete pulled her close.
"You shouldn't be sorry about anything," he paused and looked down into her glazed over blue eyes. Lightly grasping her wrists he tried his best to smile.
"No boy is ever worth making these scars for,"


"I was just guessing
at numbers and figures
pulling the puzzles apart
Questions of science
Science and progress
do not speak as loud as my heart
so Tell me you love me
Come back and haunt me
Oh, and I rush to the start"


Lizzie sat staring up at the night sky at the cork tree. That night she had done it again, breaking her promise with Pete from two years ago. It was different this time. Lizzie had to calm herself down, bandage herself up and promise herself she wouldn't do something so stupid ever again. And now she found herself under the tree where it all started. As much as a memory jerker it was, she found it so peaceful. Blinking she watched as a few leaves fell and landed next to her.
This is one way of celebrating my birthday...
As of a matter of fact, it was her birthday, and it was slowly ending too. She had spent most of the day, sitting there, plucking dandelions and making useless wishes. Just as she was about to get up, she heard the crunching of leaves in front of her and looked up to see Patrick, his face hidden by the shadow his hat was casting.
"He's home, now...in his bed...resting..." Patrick paused and sat down in front of her. "He wanted me to check on you," Lizzie smiled inside but showed no emotion to Patrick.
"How is he?" she asked in a whisper and Patrick sighed.
"Living, but quiet and reserved...it's scary," Lizzie grimly looked down and Patrick shook his head.
"You'll never believe it, but he heard our conversation in the hospital room," Lizzie looked up, shocked.
"Why didn't he say anything?" she asked, a little loud. Patrick hushed her and shrugged.
"Pete said he wanted to know the truth," he paused again. "He loves you, you know," Lizzie scoffed.
"If that was true, he would have told me that a long time ago, and to me, not through his friends," Patrick looked down.
The message, I have to remember she never heard it...
"He also wanted me to give you this," Patrick pulled out what Lizzie recognized as Pete's friendship ring.
So he has mine, and I have his...
Lizzie looked down as she grabbed it. His scent was plastered all over it from the years he had worn it and not taken it off. Patrick looked down as well and noticed the white bandages sneaking out from her black hoodie.
"Liz," he breathed and reached to grab her hand. Lizzie widened her eyes as Patrick gripped it, pushing up her sleeves, examining the red seeping out through the gauze. "You promised Pete..." he muttered and Lizzie looked away from the disappointed eyes of Patrick.
"Please don't say anything..." she whispered and she heard Patrick get up.
"There's not much I can say...you guys have to save each other this time..." Lizzie looked up to see the man standing, head glancing back at the lights on in Pete's house.
"Are you giving up on us, Pat?" she asked slowly and Patrick shrugged.
"Pete wants to go on tour again...he thinks it could help him heal," Lizzie nodded. "I just...I just think I shouldn't get too wrapped up in this one...when Pete comes around, he comes around," Patrick explained and Lizzie stood up as well.
"Pat...I think it's best for you guys to go on tour, is it Warped Tour again?" she asked and Patrick nodded.
"Please...try and stay positive...Pete told me to make sure you will move on...and be safe here," he paused and gulped. "He wants to stay friends with you...but...he will talk to you when we get back from Warped," Lizzie nodded.
"I understand...um, is Sierra going with you?" she asked and Patrick blushed.
"Uh, yeah, actually," He scratched the back of his neck nervously and Lizzie lightly smirked.
"Keep her around Patrick...I don't want you to ever go though what I've gone through..." Patrick nodded and Lizzie nodded before slipping past him, heading home.

"Nobody said it was easy
Oh, it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy,
No one ever said it would be so hard


I'm going back to the start..."
Sign up to rate and review this story