Categories > Original > Drama > Chicana

Menudo

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

“Menudo?” He asked with bright eyes. I nod and smile. “Damn, girl. It smells good.” He smiles and kisses me real quick.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2012-09-28 - Updated: 2012-09-29 - 2427 words

0Unrated
We scramble to our feet and get dressed as fast as possible. Marcelino’s dressed first, and goes out to greet whoever came through the front door. I get dressed last and find a small towel hanging from his bedpost. I grab it and dab at my sweaty body. I throw the tube of gel laying on the floor into my pocket on my dress. I fix myself again and head over to the door. I crack it open and peek my head out to see who’s here. I see Ghost and Marcelino talking. I go out and start down the hallway and Ghost stops me. “Oh, shit, man. Don’t tell me I be interuptin’ you fuckin’.” He laughs.
“We just finished up. Not that it’s any of your business.” I snap at Ghost once I’m at Marcelino’s side.
“Well, my bad, chica. If I woulda known y’all were gettin’ it in, I woulda waited to come over.” He held his hands up in innocence.
“I’m sure you would of.” I scorn him. Knowing him, he woulda asked to join instead. Like some fucking creeper. He just smirks at me and checks me out while biting his lip. I give him a disgusted look. Marcelino steps in front of me in an act of protection and says, “Give Ricky a call. Now, get outta here.”
“Okay.” Ghost nods. “Bye, chiquilla.” He winks at me, then makes his way out the door.
“I hate that asshole.” I say out loud.
“Join the club.” He says. “You hungry for real food now?” He grins at me.
“No, not really. I should be heading out anyway. I’ve got homework, work, house chores…Oh my God! I made you miss your interview with McDonald’s when we went to the beach!” I say.
“It wasn’t really that important. I already got a job anyway. My tia hooked it up with a job at her panaderia.” He smiles. I sigh in relief.
“I’m proud of you.” I smile and hug him. “Now, I have to go.” I give his lips a small peck.
“Hit it and quick it. I see how it is.” Marcelino frowns.
“Whatever!” I smack him. He just chuckles and kisses me. “Okay. Come by later if you can.” I pinch his firm nalgas and he just smiles.
“Okay,” he nods and smacks my butt as I walk away and out his door. On the way out I run into his mom coming home from work.
“Hi,” I say awkwardly. “I was just helping him with his English homework.” I say quickly.
“Good. He needs all the help he can get.” She says in her heavy accent. “Um, if you’re not busy this weekend, could you and Marcelino babysit? I have a side job and I don’t want to leave the kids alone.” She explains.
“Oh, yeah, no problem.” I smile and nod. “I’d be happy to babysit them.”
“Okay, then. It’s this Saturday. Just come by around four.” She smiles. Her yellowed teeth from smoking. She thinks nobody knows. But I’ve seen her puffing on some Marlboro lights. She inhales quickly, but exhales slowly. She makes rings and watches the smoke float in the air. I can tell she thinks real hard, but about what I don’t know.
Being this close to her I notice she looks older than she really is. The extra wrinkles from stress and worry give her face extra skin that just seems to sit and sag on her face. She needs a vacation. Just so she can unwind and not worry about anything.
“Okay,” I smile and head to my car. I get home and shower. All the sweat and tingly gel washing off me. I get dressed for work and reapply my make-up. Just as I’m headed out the door Armando spots me.
“Hey, sis. Headin’ to work?” He asks.
“Yeah.” I say.
“Why do you work if Dad makes just about six figures with his lawyer bullshit?” He asks.
“At first it was just to get out of the house. Now, I don’t know. I don’t really like asking him for money. It makes me feel like a little kid asking for an allowance.” I say.
“But you’re his kid. You do his laundry, you make dinner, you make sure the house is immaculate. You deserve money and more.” He says. “You go to school, stay out of trouble, get good grades. You’re the perfect daughter.”
“Can we not do this right now? I’m gonna be late if you keep talking.” I chuckle.
“Right. Sorry. Go to work.” He says and heads back into his room. I just take my keys and drive to work. Getting there I see Yas sitting at one of the tables with a big woman and two small kids. They’re enjoying their burgers and fries. I go in and wave. He motions me over. “Hi, Yas.” I smile.
“Raquel, this is my mom Sue. And my brothers, Chris and Ahiga, meaning “he fights” in Navajo.” Yas smiles and points to everyone.
“Hi, I’m Raquel. Yas’s only friend.” I joke and shake everyone’s with a smile.
“My dad’s at work right now, but you can meet him later.” Yas says. “Do you work here?” He asks.
“Yeah, my shift just started so I gotta go. But enjoy your meal and I’m glad I got to meet all of you.” I smile and wave as I head into the back to take over for Becky, one of the cashiers.
Until 8:30 I’m forced to greet people with a smile and my cheeks hurt. But I’m glad to get home to some Chinese and a movie from the Redbox. Dad, Armando and I just relax and watch Thor. It wasn’t half bad, but I wasn’t really paying attention all that much. I was too busy scarfing down my Chinese and heading upstairs to finish up some homework, and maybe cram in some studying while I’m at it. And before load the dishwasher so Dad doesn’t kill me because his favorite coffee cup isn’t clean.
I shower again and get ready for bed. I hear a tap at my window and I already know who it is. I open my window and smile. Marcelino comes through and hugs me. “I can’t stay long. I have to sleep in my bed tonight.” He frowns.
“Well, maybe you won’t have to.” I smile and wiggle my eyebrows.
“No, you’ll get in deep shit. And I ain’t tryna get on your dad’s, or even your brother’s, bad side.” He says.
“C’mon, babe. You’ve always come over here, but I never go over there. And getting in trouble won’t hurt any. I’ve gotten in trouble before. Remember when we kinda got it on in the car and my dad caught us?” I smile. He just chuckles and nods. “Worth every second of getting scolded.” I kiss him softly. I then nip at his neck making it hard to say no to me. “C’mon.” I plead while sucking on Marcelino’s neck.
“Fine.” He says. I just smile and start to pack a small bag.
“Am I gonna get ready at your place, or come back over here?” I ask.
“I don’t care.” He says.
“I’ll just come back here so that way your mom doesn’t get you in trouble again.” I say and just pull on my sweatshirt and fuzzy slippers. “Ready.” I smile. He nods and we open the window. He jumps to the tree branch closest to my window and gets to the trunk. He motions me over and I jump. I make it and we both make it safely to the ground and Rocio.
We get to Marcelino’s house and sneak in through the window there. But since his apartment is ground level, no tree climbing for us. Thank God.
I take off my slippers and sweater and climb into bed. He strips down to his boxers and lays next to me. He covers us with a heavy quilt and we snuggle together. I hear his brothers’ breathing evenly, one even lightly snoring. I forgot he shared his room, but I don’t care. I’m against the wall and Marcelino is covering me so nobody can see me.
He pulls me close and I feel safe. I can feel his hot breath on my skin. His rough hands caressing my arms and playing with my hair. “Your hair is so soft.” He smiles with his eyes closed. I don’t say anything. I don’t need to. We drift to sleep and the next morning I’m waking up to giggling.
I open my eyes and see Marcelino’s brothers hovering over me and giggling with their hands over their mouths. I look and Marcelino’s gone. I lift myself on my elbow. The door opens and closes. “Quitanse! Go get ready for school!” I hear Marcelino yell at the boys.
“What time is it?” I ask.
“5:30. I think you should head back now. Let me get my keys.” He smiles. I get up and slip on my sweatshirt and slippers. Together we jump out the window into the early morning mist. Marcelino drives me to my house and I get out. “Bye, babe.”
“See you at school.” I close the door and head to the tree. Marcelino doesn’t leave until I’m in my room safely and I hear Rocio roar and fade down the street. I look in my closet for an outfit when there’s a knock at my door. Armando walks in.
“Have fun last night?” He smirks.
“What are you talking about?” I act like I don’t know what he’s talking about.
“You know exactly what I’m talking about.”
“Don’t you even think about telling Dad!” I whirl around and point my finger.
“I won’t.” He shrugs and leans in my doorway. “But,” I just roll my eyes. I knew he would want something.
“What is it?” My shoulders fall and I cross my arms over my chest and wait for him to spit out whatever he’s gonna say.
“Make me some menudo.” He says simply.
“Is that it?” I ask.
“Yup,” he nods. “Deal?”
“Deal.” We shake on it and I get ready for school.

I pick up Yas, go to school, come back home and start on the menudo. I haven’t made it in so long. As the delicious aroma fills the house, I remember why I haven’t made it in a while. My mom. Menudo was her dish. She made the most delicious menudo in the whole world. Before she died she taught me how to make it. She added a special ingredient that made it the best. Love. That’s what she told me.
Tears start to make my vision blurry. Maybe Armando told me to make it so that I can heal. Just then he pops into the kitchen. He just hugs me. “You finally got it.” He says. “Took you a while. So much for you bein’ smart.” He chuckles. I wipe my tears and smile.
“I miss her.” I say. “The way she would brush my hair every night. She’d always braid it because she said it made your hair grow faster.” Armando giggles.
“Take this as a healing process. Just remember her good, not how she died.” Armando says. I nod and go back to making the menudo. “Want some help?” He asks.
“Nah, I got it. Besides, Mom told me to never reveal her secret ingredient.” I smile in satisfaction as Armando just rolls his eyes and goes to watch TV. I leave the stove to let the menudo cook and I head to watch some TV, but just then someone rings the doorbell. I open the door and it’s Marcelino. “Hey, baby.” I smile and hug him. He comes in and takes a whiff of the house.
“Menudo?” He asked with bright eyes. I nod and smile. “Damn, girl. It smells good.” He smiles and kisses me real quick. “Hey, Armando.” He acknowledges my brother.
“Hey, man.” Armando gave him a little nod and then went back to watching That 70s Show.
“Can I talk to you, Raquel? In private.” Marcelino asks.
“Oh, shit. He finally realized you got some ugly ass feet.” Armando mumbled.
“Shut up! My feet aren’t that ugly!” I chuckle and lead Marcelino up to my room. He closes the door behind us and then attacks my lips. I say between kisses, “What…did…you…need…to talk…to me…about?”
“Nothing.” He says simply, and we go back to making out. I just pull away.
“What?” I ask. I’m confused.
“I can’t do this in front of your brother.” He smiles and grabs my ass.
“No you can’t.” I smile and we start kissing again. “But we can’t do more than make out up here ‘cause my brother is still downstairs and my dad will be home any minute.” I say quickly.
“I know.” He says and then we end up on the bed. Him on top of me. Things are getting really hot when I remember that Armando’s still downstairs. I push Marcelino off of me and straighten out my hair and clothes.
“C’mon. We can pick this up later.” I smile and head back downstairs. I catch Armando sipping some menudo from the ladle. “Armando!” I take the ladle from him. “It’s not ready yet!” I giggle and put the lid back on the sopa.
“Sorry. The smell was just gettin’ to me.” He smiled. “But it still tasted hella good, Hermana.”
“Well, thanks, but no more sneaking sips!” I warn him and smile. He just laughs and goes back to the couch to finish his show.
“Hey, babe, I gotta get to work. Don’t wanna be late for my first day.” He comes over and kisses me on the cheek.
“Okay, well, come over after work so I can send some menudo to your mom on your way home.” I smile.
“Okay,” he nods and he gives me a little peck on the lips. “Bye, baby.”
“Bye,” he walks out the door and I hear Rocio rumbling away.
Sign up to rate and review this story