Categories > Original > Humor > Easier To Lie

Reinventing The Harrigan's

by KTFrankie 0 reviews

Category: Humor - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Published: 2012-10-03 - Updated: 2012-10-03 - 453 words

0Unrated
The next few weeks passed by, faster than either one of them could have expected. Suddenly, they were just days away from their holiday showcase.

"John," Caitlin said over the phone. "What should we bring?"

"I don't know. I was thinking a fruitcake, but since we're already bringing that to your mom and dad's I guess that's out. I mean you can only have so much of that stuff. How about a pumpkin pie?"

"You think?"

"Yeah."

"Alright then. Well I should be back in a little while. Did you already pick up the presents?"

"Yep, we're all set. Now I know you might be tired when you get back so I was wondering if you wanted me to start on everything tonight, and then you just finish what's left tomorrow. Or if you want, we could just start fresh on everything tomorrow?"

"Well I guess we could wrap up everything tonight and then just start baking tomorrow morning. Does that sound okay?"

"Sounds fine with me. Well, Mrs. Harrigan I guess I'll see you when you get home then."

"I guess so, Mr. Harrigan."

By now, the two were pros at it. During one of their many discussions about their upcoming holiday visits, both Caitlin and John had agreed that if they couldn't convince strangers and everyday acquaintances that they were still a solid, happy couple then they would have no chance, whatsoever, when it came to fooling those who were closest to them. So together they had mutually decided to put up a united front, only two other people in the couples lives knew the truth.

"So then the two of you are back together?"

"Well Andrew, not exactly. You see we need to look the part."

"Oh, so on the most special day of the year, the two of you are going to lie to your families until you can muster up enough courage to tell them the truth?"

"Well when you say it like that, of course it's gonna sound all wrong."

"No, Caitlin. I think what you're doing is all wrong. I mean can't you see that poor John is hurting enough as it is already? What do you think moving back in and playing house for the holidays is going to do to him?"

"John and I are both adults, Andrew. We're perfectly capable of…"

"No, Caitlin. You're perfectly capable. John wasn't built on the same assembly line as you. Hell, I don't think anyone was built on the same assembly line as you. And I know that it was hard enough for the both of you to deal with splitting up the first time. How do you think it's going to feel the second time around?"
Sign up to rate and review this story