Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > The Heroes of Amestris

Chapter 2

by Andrea1991 0 reviews

Mustang arrives in Resembool, but nothing can ever be simple.

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Edward Elric,Roy Mustang - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2012-10-15 - Updated: 2012-10-15 - 975 words

0Unrated
Mustang unsteadily stepped off the train into the Resembool sunlight. The brief thought of acquiring a cane crossed his mind, but his stubborn pride shoved the thought away. Accompanying him was a single suitcase. It was all he was capable of carrying, and the last thing he wanted was to appear weak in front of Edward.

He scanned the crowded station expectantly, searching for the blonde source of his mounting anxiety. Somehow he visibly remained composed, even though his insides were contorting in very uncomfortable ways. Clutching his suitcase, he wondered if he looked any different after these last few years. Did he still have his long yellow hair? And what about that ridiculous red coat? Despite himself, he smirked. He hoped that at least that much had changed. The multitude of people slowly thinned out until it was only him and an elderly couple visiting quietly on a bench that remained.

The ball of anxiety that had threatened to overtake him was replaced with an eerie numb sensation. It felt similar to disappointment. Maybe confused disappointment. In an attempt to escape this strange feeling, Mustang wearily trudged to the bathroom and locked the door behind him. Out of habit he shot a glance in the mirror and was disgusted at what he saw. Dead eyes stared back at him. Even if Edward’s changes in appearance were unknown, Roy’s were definitely unmistakable. He lifted a hand to cover his face, stifling a revolted groan.

It’s times like these that I wish I was still blind. His fingers fumbled along the wall until they found the light switch. Mustang flipped it downwards to extinguish the light. Hurriedly, he twisted the faucet knob and splashed cold water on his face. What am I doing here? He can’t see me like this. The thought of such humiliation nearly made him gag. One of his knees hit the floor as he all but collapsed, his hands gripping the sink to hold him up. I’m leaving. Immediately. With a heavy grown he lifted himself up, using the sink for support. Leaving was the only way to preserve the last shred of his dignity. Not bothering to turn the light back on, his fingers pushed the door open just enough to give him space to pass through as inconspicuously as possible.

Just as he managed to manipulate his face into a mask, he saw what he dreaded: Edward Elric. The younger man turned at the sound of the door opening and closing, curiosity displayed across his features. His face was no longer that of a boy’s. Mustang had no words to describe what he felt when he laid eyes on him. And apparently, Edward felt the same way.

“Mustang… Uh, hey.” His golden eyes were wide, taking in the sickly appearance of his longtime friend.

Roy did the best he could, standing as tall as he was capable and forcing a smile. “It’s been a while, Fullmetal.” He gripped the handle of his single suitcase until his knuckles turned white.

“Yeah, it has. Are you feeling ok? I know the military is stressful, but-”

Mustang’s business demeanor kicked in. “I’m doing just fine. I’ve just pulled a few all-nighters and a cold’s going around the office. That is all.”

Edward stepped forward, eyeing the lone suitcase. “Well I’m sorry I kept you waiting. I was doing some cleaning around the house and lost track of time. Let me take that.” He reached forward to carry the older man’s luggage.

Roy pulled back slightly. “I’ve got it.”

Edward looked up at him questioningly, but decided to drop it. “Ok. Follow me.”

The two began walking, Edward deceptively slowing his normal pace to stay alongside his previous superior. Cheerfully, he said, “You picked a great time to visit. I’ve been living with Granny for a while now and I finally got my own place. I still had boxes lying around when you called the other day. I just got done unpacking the last of my things. It’ll be nice to have you around to help me transition to living on my own.”

“Al’s not with you?”

“Nah, he moved to Xing about a year ago. You remember that little girl that fought along side us in Central? Al’s moved out there to be with her.”

“Wow. He grew up fast.”

“Well he is 19 now. And we both know that Al is a lot older mentally than he is physically,” Ed laughed.

“I bet they’ll be happy together.”

Ed grinned at him and they continued walking in silence for a while. Mustang slowed a little in his fatigue, and was soon following his companion instead of flanking him. He noted that Ed was in fact not wearing his notorious red coat, but instead wore a dark button down shirt and slacks with his hair in a ponytail. Seeing him with both of his flesh arms still amazed him.

This boy—no, man—can really do anything. Edward had always exemplified the naiveté and strength that Roy himself had once possessed. Although some would argue that Roy was still naïve. Maybe I am. But hell, what does it matter now?

As his mind wandered, so did his eyes. The confidence of his gait, his broad shoulders, how he casually stuffed his hands into his pockets, everything was so… fascinating. Mustang’s eyes lowered to Ed’s waist, noticing how his shirt suggested a slight curve from his back to his butt.

He forced down a blush and looked away to the countryside. It really was beautiful here. Which was a good thing, because if the landscape wasn’t so distracting then it would have been a very long walk to the Fullmetal Alchemist’s home.
Sign up to rate and review this story