Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > 30 Deathfics

Regrets (death#1)

by kirayasha 0 reviews

Sesshomaru at the moment of an older Rin's death...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Rin, Sesshoumaru - Published: 2006-06-30 - Updated: 2006-06-30 - 842 words

0Unrated
Regrets (Death #1)

By kira

Author's note: This was written for Live Journal's 30 deathfics. My character is Sesshomaru.


"What are you babbling about, Flea?" Sesshomaru said coldly to his father's vassal.

Myouga trembled, bowing low as he fought to contain his fear long enough to deliver the news. "I, I, I..."

"Spit it out, this Sesshomaru doesn't have all day."

Myouga nodded and taking a deep breath, the little flea youkai did as he was told. "I said your honorable and esteemed father is dead!" he said and the minute the words had left his mouth, he instantly regretted it as Sesshomaru shot him a murderous glare. And just as quickly Sesshomaru soften his gaze and the poor flea did not know which was worse, the cold and angry stare or the look of sadness tinged with regret that briefly replaced it before the young taiyoukai slipped his mask of indifference on.

"How?" he asked softly.

"He died most honorably-"

"That's not what this Sesshomaru meant."

"He died...ummm, he died protecting the...ummm..."

"Myouga..." Sesshomaru growled prompting the flea to continue.

"He died protecting Izayoi-hime and your brother!" Myouga exclaimed and regretted it yet again when Sesshomaru closed his fist upon him only to just as quickly drop him in the snow. "I'm so sorry, my lord," he said softly to Sesshomaru's retreating form...



"What are you thinking about, Sesshomaru-sama?" Rin asked. She was a hundred and six years old and close to death, not that she minded. Her only regret now was that she could not live any longer by his side. She knew from experience that would be a simple matter for him to quickly revive when she passed on, but they had long ago made the decision not to. She had wanted to give him his freedom in exchange for the life he had given her. Her only wish was that he would never forget her.

Rin smiled weakly when he gently squeezed her hand in his. "My father... there were so many things I wish I could have said differently to him." He paused as a puzzled frown settled on his features. "This Sesshomaru," he said lapsing back into his old imperiousness. "Wonders why he should think of him..."

"Everyone has regrets, Sesshomaru-sama; perhaps you regret his death more than you think," Rin said simply and she smiled knowingly at him.

He quirked an eyebrow at her in surprise.

"Don't give me that look," she gently admonished and he snorted in amusement. "You know, even this Rin has regrets."

"Hai...?"

She closed her eyes and sighed softly. "Hai. I used to regret not being big enough to save my family, and not big enough to be more of a help to my village. But then I met you..."

"Hai." This Sesshomaru is happy you did. He smiled sadly.

"Sesshomaru-sama, did you ever regret reviving me?"

"Iie," he said, shaking his head. "You may have been a troublesome little thing," he teased, "But this Sesshomaru wouldn't change a thing about our time together."

"I'm glad you don't...." she said breathlessly. Rin closed her eyes and sighed contentedly. "Please stay with me..."

"Hai..." He laid her hand gently on her breast, and reaching out he brushed aside her wispy bangs that were now as white as his own. He felt a strange aching in his heart especially when her lips twitched upwards in a faint smile. Their whole relationship had been a huge regret on both their parts and yet neither one would have changed a thing.

Rin drifted off to sleep on the soft futon and she dozed comfortably in the home he had made for her when she grew too old and feeble to comfortably travel with him. They had left the shoji open to the small garden and the fresh scents of the spring day made her dream of her childhood.

Sesshomaru kept watch as Rin's life slowly ebbed away, listening intently as her breathing grew shallower and more labored with each breath she took. It pained him to watch her go and he realized his father was very lucky to have died long before Izayoi-hime did. When it had sounded as if Rin had taken her last breath, Sesshomaru felt a rare moment of panic as there was one regret he did not want hanging over the rest of his life. Leaning forward, he whispered softly, "I love you, Rin..." Forgive me for waiting so long to tell you...

At the sound of his voice, Rin's eyes fluttered open. She stared sightlessly off into space, a faint smile tugging at her lips as she took one last ragged breath. She had left him just as quickly as she had entered his life. Sesshomaru felt her loss more keenly than he had expected to and it surprised him. He sat there, unable to leave her side, although he knew it was stupid but he did not care. He quietly gave into his grief as the last thing he wanted to regret was not properly mourning her passing....
Sign up to rate and review this story