Categories > Original > Horror > Along The Lines of Life and Death -Vampires-

[1] The Beginning

by Xtragedy_thrills_mex 0 reviews

After tragedy strikes, Elvira battles on the line of life and death, halfway hoping to live. Halfway hoping to die...

Category: Horror - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Horror, Humor, Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-07-05 - Updated: 2006-07-06 - 3909 words

0Unrated
The blood, it won't stop... But it feels good. I feel alive. It hurts.. not too much anymore. I drop the razor onto the bathroom floor. Over, the pain is over. Yessss... Now, I can feel alive again... I sit on the floor, wrapping a towel around the fresh cuts. I know I shouldn't be doing this. But its how I deal with pain, mental pain that is. It is definitley a stupid way of dealing with it, but stopping myself gets so much harder when the time comes. But if my parents ever knew, then they'd probably put me in rehab or something. And that is a place that I promised myself that I would never land in.
A knock comes at the door.
I quickly pull down the sleeve of my black long-sleeved shirt, covering up the nasty looking cuts. "Yes?"
"Are you coming out soon? You've been in there for an awful long time," my mom says through the door. "Are you feeling okay?"
"Yes, I'm fine. Just... you know.. Using the bathroom?" I say.
"Oh, okay. Just checking. Everyone else is downstairs on the patio when you're ready to see everybody." she says.
"Alright, I'll be down in a minute," I say, then I hear her walk away.
Today is New Years Eve. My family has this tradition where we throw a party where the family gets together and celebrates. Mostly, it is just little kids running around screaming, blowing plastic horns, and chucking sparklers at one another. These are my cousins and idiot siblings. They are all several years younger than me. But Catherine and Dustin are my cousins, and they are both my age. They are twins, but unidentical of course. I'd be pretty scared if a boy and girl were identical to each other. I usually hang with them, and the adults all sit on the patio and talk about how we are all growing up. Boring conversation, I think. But who can blame them, they're all parents.
I get up off the bathroom floor, and stand in front of the mirror. I grab a brush and begin to comb through my long, curly blonde hair. I reapply my eyeliner to bring out my bluish-silver eyes. They aren't exactly that color, but the eyeliner and mascara bring them out so they are that color instead of boring gray.
When I feel that I am worthy to look at, even for my family, I open the door and leave the bathroom.
As I walk down the hallway, towards the stairs, several kids charge past me shooting at each other with water guns. Several stray shots hit me, putting wet spots on my shirt.
"Hey! Watch where you're squirting that damn thing!" I yell after them.
"Sorry!" One of them yells back. Then they continue on with their game.
After glaring after them, I go down the stairs and out into the backyard. I avoid the patio and go to the swing set, where Catherine and Dustin are. Catherine is sitting in a swing and Dustin is laying down on top of the deck part, next to the slide. I sit down in the second swing, and start to push myself back and forth.
"Hey, Elvira! Where did you go?" Dustin asked.
"Nowhere..." I say.
"Really? Where?"
"Why do you care?"
"I care because you were in the house for a pretty long while. I just wanted to make sure that you aren't hiding something..." Dustin says.
"Hiding something?" I say, pulling my sleeve down further. "Like what?"
"Like... pot for example. I'm out," he says, smirking.
"Ugh! You're unbelievable! I'm not a pothead like you, and never will be." I yell.
"Well then... what were you doing in there?"
"Do you really want to know?" I say, getting really annoyed.
"Yeah," Dustin says.
"For your information, I had to take a piss. Then I remembered that I am on my fucking period, so I had to change my tampon," I say, making up a story, just to gross him out. "Then I realized that there were no tampons in the bathroom. So I had to go find one somewhere in the house. Took me about ten minutes, I finally found one in my mom's bathroom... all that time I'm without a tampon. So I had to go back to bathroom and change..."
"OKAY! Sorry I asked!" he yells, getting grossed out.
Catherine laughs, after being quiet and listening to the quarrel. "Dust, your so stupid."
"Well, Cat, how was I supposed to know! I rather I didn't..." He yells.
"Well, you did before..." I say, laughing.
"Look at our parents," Catherine says. "They just love bragging about all the good stuff we've done..."
I laugh. "Yeah, I haven't heard one word of the bad stuff... Like pot for example..."
"Hey!" Dustin says. "They don't know, so what's there to say?"
"Ohhh, I can imaging it now," Catherine says, flipping her short brown hair, then her voice changes into an imitation of my mom's voice. "oooh, Elvira has the best grades ever! She made the honor roll!" Then she changes to her mom's voice. "Yes! And my daughter is the best in the school at track!" Then she changes to her dad's voice, "Yes, but our son is the biggest fucking pothead in the school, and he's got the worst grades! Our little angel!"
"No! I don't have the worst grades! John does, he's come to school for only four days the entire year!" Dustin says.
"Whatever," she says.
We are interrupted by about ten of the little kids running to the swing set and climbing on top of it, pretending its a pirate ship.
"Ahoy mate's! Throw the old ones off the plank!" Billy, age ten, the oldest of the little kids, yells as he points a fake sword at Dustin. He has on a striped red shirt and an eye patch. He has a stuffed parrot taped onto his shoulder but it keeps falling off, so he is holding it on with his other hand.
"How about the pirates get the fuck off our ship, and we won't chuck them off ourselves!" Dustin yells.
Billy begins to poke him with the plastic sword. "I'll have to stab ye' then!" "Yeah, he'll have to stab you! Raaak!" he says in a parrot voice.
Dustin shoves him off the side of the deck, which is about five feet from the ground. He hits the ground pretty hard, then starts crying. He drops the sword and parrot and runs to the patio screaming in that tattle-tale sing-song voice, "Mommy! Mommy! Dustin pushed my off the swing set!"
"Shit. We better leave before they all come over here and start to yell at us." Catherine says.
We all get up and quickly go into the woods near the swing set. We have a small treehouse in one of the trees there. So we all head towards it. Even though it is a full moon, it is almost pitch black. So we pull out our cell phones and illuminate our paths. When we finally get to the big, fat oak tree, we climb up the ladder and we all sit in the little, wooden house.
"Just hope the bats aren't out!" Catherine says, a little scared.
"Shouldn't those kids be in bed by now?" Dustin says.
"Our parents are going to let them stay up until midnight, then go to bed," I say, having had already asked my mom this.
We all sit in here for a little while, quiet. Then I look at my phone.
"Shit, it's 11:59," I say.
Dustin looks at his watch. "11:59 point five!"
After sitting a few seconds, Dustin says, "ten, nine, eight, seven..." then Catherine and I join in. "six, five, four, three, two, ONE!"
"Blast off!" Dustin yells.
Catherine smacks him on the back of the head. "Happy New Year!"
I hear the booming of my parents lighting their fireworks. Yells and screams can be heard, from them cheering on the fireworks. Some of them sound a little scared. Maybe some of them are rogue fireworks...But the trees keep me from seeing them. I wish that I could see them, but I know that Catherine and Dustin don't care. So they'll want to stay here, and I don't want to go back alone.
"Happy New Year!" I yell.
"Yes... Happy new year! I'm finally gonna get something to eat!" a voice says from the bottom of the tree. I look down and see a guy standing there. He has red hair, and he is very thin, like he hasn't eaten in months. "Finally.... Very stupid of you to come out here in the middle of the night. Especially in that tree..." he says. Then he walks into a patch of light from the moon, and he begins to transform. He howls in pain as he grows bigger and hairier. Finally he evolves into a wolf. But it is bigger than any wolve I have ever seen.
"What the fuck is /that/?"Dustin yells. Then the wolf runs to the tree and begins to climb up the rope ladder. "What kind of fucking dog can climb up a ladder?! Holy shit!!!" Dustin yells in fear.
The wolf is about halfway to the top when I grab Dustins key chain and find the pocket knife. I open it and feverously saw at the rope on the ladder. The wolf as nearly on me when it cuts through. Half of the ladder comes loose, and the wolf swings away. He holds onto the other side of the ladder and makes a swipe at me. He misses and the rope is pulled harder from his weight. I cut the other rope, which had grown weak from the weight. The rope, and the wolf, fall down, twenty feet to the ground. It gets up and tries to climb the trunk of the tree, but fails.
"Arrrrg!!!!!!" He yells as he transforms back into a human. "You're going to have to come down some time! And I'll be right here!" he yells.
"What the hell are you?" Dustin yells. Catherine has already started cowering against the wall, closest to the trunk.
"I'm a werewolf! What else did you think I was? A fairy?" He bursts into laughter.
A werewolf? That isn't possible...
The treehouse shutters with a huge jolt. It creaks and moans as it begins to sway back and forth. One of the branches, apparenly the one that had the ladder on it, had grown weak and is about to snap.
"Yes, here we go!" The thing yells, as it begins to transform again.
We all scream in fear. Screaming and yelling for our parents to come and kill whatever this thing was.
"MOM!!!! DAD!!! HELP!!!!" We were all screaming. The treehouse continues to creak and sway. Until the branch that previously held the ladder snaps. I guess the weight of the werewolf pulled on it so hard that it just started to give out. I'm sure mine and my cousins' weight aren't helping either.
With a terrible jerk, the treehouse leans far over, until I was sure that it was going to fall. But it suddenly stops. It had turned downwards about 45 degrees. Then another snap is heard and all the branches give out, and the treehouse plunges to the ground.
It lands with a sickening crash, and I feel the pain in my right ankle explode. It was probably sprained at the least. I cry out in pain.
I try to get up, but I am only able to stand on one foot. I hobble over to the tree, while Dustin gets out from under the pile of wood. When he finally gets out, he runs over to me. Apparently he isn't hurt at all. Catherine is unconcious under a huge pile of broken wood.
I look up at the werewolf, he is standing there watching, as if in amusement. He had already transformed back into a human. When he sees my eyes on him, he says, "Hey little girl! I see you have a boyfriend, oh, tough luck. I could have been far better..."
"He's my cousin, and you better stay the fuck away!" I scream, hoping my parents could hear.
"Ooh, feisty. Too bad... I was hoping we'd get to do a little more than... you know, me killing you. Oh well..." He takes a step closer to us, I press my back harder against the tree. "Oh! And I see that one of you has already been knocked out... awww... this one should be easy..." He walks towards Catherine.
"Get the hell away from her!" Dustin yells.
"Ooh, looky looky! Little girl! Your boyfriend has run to this other girl, oooh! Competition!"
"She's my sister, and get the hell away from us. You fucking psycho!" Dustin yells, trying to pull Catherine out from under the wood pile. But it is too heavy, and he is struggling.
"Oh, no need for that foul language. Don't you want to be a good boy for mommy and daddy? Right now I'm sure they can see you, depends on if they're up or down..."
"What the hell do you mean by that?!" I yell.
"Okie dokie, if it is hell you think? Then go ahead and think it. I didn't know them, so I wouldn't know..." the werewolf says. "By the way, my name is Harold. Just in case if you want to know your killer's name..."
"Hell? What about hell?" I scream. "What about my parents?"
"Hahahahaha..." Harold laughs menacingly. "Shouldn't you be thinking good thoughts about the dead? Instead of them being in hell?"
My stomach lurches as if a piece of five pound lead is dropped into it. My parents? Dead? "I don't believe you!" I scream.
"My brothers wouldn't give me my share. I am sooo hungry. Then I heard you guys! They didn't know about you! So I came here, now I will finally get to eat. Why am I waiting? I don't know, I guess I like to talk. It is amusing how you think you will get through it..." He laughs again.
"Where are our parents?" Dustin yells, still trying to pull Catherine out.
"Too many questions, too many questions... Whom shall I eat first? Blonde, boy, or brunette? All start with B! hahaha! I'm passing!" he laughs to himself. Wow, this guy is nuts! "Eenie, meenie, miney, moe!" He points at Catherine. "Aww, thats too easy. But whatever floats, your boat!" He says to his hand. He runs at Catherine, transforming as he runs. Dustin grabs a piece of woods and attempts batting at Harold, but Harold pushes him aside. But it is with so much force that he lands next to me.
Dustin screams in objection and I am frozen in fear and shock as the werewolf bites into Catherine and begins to peel off her flesh. He slurps up the blood loudly and swallows all the meat.
It is a truely disgusting sight, so I turn away, and begin to tiptoe away. I pull on the collar of Dustin's shirt. He hesitates at first, thinking about running to Catherine's rescue, but knows that it is too late. So he follows me. I see he has tears rapidly running down his face. Tears begin to well up in my eyes too, but I try to hold them back. Now is not the time to cry.
We walk away slowly, trying to sneak. But them the slurping stops. "Oooh! Trying to get away I see!" the sing-song voice of the madman echoes through my head. We both bolt through the trees in the direction of the house.
I run with every ounce of strength in me that is possible with a sprained ankle, too bad I don't have the track quality that Catherine has... had. Tears well up in my eyes again, but I blink them back. Trying to focus all my attention on escape. I hear the werewolf dodging through the trees about fifty feet back, but gaining.
I try to ignore the rising pain in my ankle, and push harder. Dustin is running, not too far behind me. He is panting for breath. I guess he is having trouble breathing because of his smoking.
"Come on Dustin! Please, don't give out!" I yell.
"I'm-trying. I-can't-breath!" he coughs. But he continues to run.
I see the lights from the house ahead. But the werewolf is rapidly gaining. I hear Dustin scream in pain as the wolf tackles him down. I immediayely stop and turn around. The werewolf is on top of him growling and dripping blood from it's mouth.
"Run... Elle..." I see Dustin mouth the words, then the werewolf bites his neck. I scream a blood-curdling scream and begin to run towards the house. It is about ten feet away!
I finally reach it! I run towards the patio, but I trip over something and land flat on my face. I crawl away a few feet and sit up. I look down at my jeans, there is blood all over them.
"What the..." I say, feeling no pain in my legs, with the exception of my ankle. Then I look up, realizing that the blood wasn't mine. There laying in the grass is the bloody pulp of Billy, plastic sword in hand.
That is what I tripped on.
I scream again, drawing the attention of Harold, who is standing at the edge of the woods. I quickly get up, and run to the patio. But when I get within twenty feet of it, I can see all the bodies on the ground from the candlelight.
"No, no, no, no...." I whisper, then I drop to my knees, unable to move. The truth finally hits me. They're all dead. I'm the last one left... "NO-n-n-n-NOOOO!" I scream and begin to cry into my hands. I hear a voice behind me.
"Yes. I think you believe me now..." it was Harold. "There, there." He says, coming up behind me and patting my shoulder. I keep my back to him continue to violently cry into my hands. "I'll make this nightmare end..." I hear him step back several feet.
I hear the sickening sound of his bones cracking as he transforms. He howls, then slowly walks toward me. I am paralyzed with grief and know that I cannot run. I know that I won't be able to live even if I did get away...
Harold grabs my shoulder and turns me to face him. He still has blood dripping from his jaws. I look into his bloodshot wolf eyes and realize that I do not want to be food to this monster.
Several other wolves walk up behind him, about ten or so. They all transform back into humans, all with red hair. They are all smiling wickedly at me.
I recover a little more strength and kick him in the stomach. He keels over, and I turn over and crawl away. I am about to stand up when he tackles me back down. Two of the other werewolves, still human, walk over to me and grab my shoulders and roughly turn me over so I am facing the sky. They are still smirking at me. They pull me to my feet and hold me in a standing position since I do not any longer have the strength to stand on my own.
"Here brother, this one is small. We've had our fill. We'll make sure she doesn't bite back!" one of the others laughs.
Harold the werewolf walks up to me. He is about to attack me, when he is tackled to the ground by a dark figure.
They begin to fight. They guy punches Harold square in the jaw, causing him to fall onto the ground. Then he picks up Harold and throws him headfirst into the stone chimney, knocking him out. He falls to the ground motionless.
You are dropped to the ground as the two werewolves that were previously holding you transform. The others transform also. They all form a circle around the figure. They attack him one by one, but he fights them off strongly.
I remain on the ground. I have given up. I no longer care. I am overcome with grief and do not see life past tonight. I have accepted that I am going to go to heaven tonight, and be with my family. Let the werewolves get me. Just let them. I no longer care. I begin to cry again and come to my knees. I am about to pass out... But my eyes remain on the battle, just to see who wins.
The first few werewolfs he did the same to as he did to Harold. Throwing them into hard objects and being knocked out. After a while that gets old and he begins snapping a few of their necks, killing them. This scares the last few off. They transform and run, howling, into the woods.
I am near unconciousness when the mysterious guy walks up to me. I cannot see his face, it is covered with a shadow. He pulls me to my feet roughly and I yell in pain as most of my weight leans on my right ankle. I quickly try to transfer my weight to my left side, but instead I lose balance and I begin to fall. But he pulls me back up, holding me more to the left.
"Hmmm," he says, looking down at my right leg. "We'll have to take a look at that..." He picks me up and takes me to one of the tables on the patio. He sits me in one of the chairs. I close my eyes to try to ignore all the bloody corpses of my family around me.
The guy looks at my ankle. All the candles that used to light the patio up were knocked over, so they had already been blown out. I still could not see the stranger's face.
Then it hits me, he saved my life. I am the only one left alive, and he saved me. Why didn't he save my family too? He couldn't have just appeared at the last minute and only saved me, could he? Who is he anyway?
"Who are you?" I whisper, trying to hold back sobs again. I strain my eyes to try and see his face, but the tears in my eyes make it impossible.
"No one. It looks like a minor sprain..." he says.
Minor? It hurts like hell!!! I wince in pain as he touches it. His hands are so cold...
"You'll be fine.. physically. For now, anyway. Was this your family?" he asks.
"Who are you?" I say again. I'm not going to talk to this stranger, even if he did save my life.
"Doesn't matter..." he gets up and looks around. Probably making sure that the werewolves aren't there. I look over to the place where there should be the werewolves' bodies, but I don't see any...
"Where...?" I whisper.
"No where... Sorry about this.." he says. I look up again, trying to figure out who the hell he is. But as I look up, all I see is a hand in front of my eyes. Then my head is knocked against the table. I feel a sickening pain go through my head and then I black out...


Sign up to rate and review this story