Categories > Original > Horror > Along The Lines of Life and Death -Vampires-

[2] The Truth Sinks In

by Xtragedy_thrills_mex 0 reviews

Elvira wakes up in the hospital, and realization hits her. About what happened the other night.

Category: Horror - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Horror - Published: 2006-07-23 - Updated: 2006-07-23 - 3087 words

0Unrated
Where am I? I look around and remeber where I am. I moan in fear and regret as I realize what is happening.
The werewolves circle me, all of them snarling and flashing their teeth. I stand in the middle, knowing that there is no escape. The werewolves all begin to move in slowly. When they are not but five feet from me, still slowly approaching, I fall to my knees. I have given up, there's no hope.
Then they part away, and not too far away, I see Catherine being torn to shreds again...
"No..." I mouth the word. "No...! Please.. no."
Then the figure of Dustin jumps in and tries to tear her away from the werewolf. But he gets pounced on, and bitten in the neck. But I don't see him get ripped apart, like Catherine. Instead, they just fade away, and the circle of werewolves is back around me.
I am almost in hysterics. Staring around at several human-eating things. And watching my cousins get killed all over again...
"Elvira? Elle? Elvira!!!!" I hear a familiar voice call.
I turn. There standing in the middle of the circle with me, is my mom.
"You can escape, Elle. Don't let these.. things... get to you. You're stronger than this..." she says before she disappears, and I see her dead body laying in the grass next to the patio.
I scream a bloodcurdling scream and collapse farther down to the ground. I am almost laying face-down.
"Yes, listen to your mother..." I hear the familiar voice of my dad. "You need to escape!"
I look up and my dad is standing in the place of my mother. "Daddy??" I say, but as a werewolf comes up behind him, I close my eyes tight. Not wanting to see what happens.
I am sobbing uncontrollably on the ground when the first werewolf, Harold, walks up and bends down to me.
"Yes... Elvira. I thought you were much, much stronger than this. Apparently they don't know what they're talking about. Oh well, you'll be with your dear old parents again..." he whispers into my ear.
I look up, just in time to see him raise his outstretched arm, claws drawn. Just before he makes his swipe, I roll away. He claws at the ground and growls in anger..
Then before I know it, they are all on me, clawing at my flesh... biting and drinking me in...
I scream and try to fight it, but it won't stop! They won't stop!


"Noooooooooo!" I scream. "Noooooooooo!!!!!!!! Get off! Get off! No, get off! Ahhhh!" I scream.
"Elvira! Stop it! Listen to me! It's me, doctor Thompson! Hey!" the doctor yells as he tries to hold me down to the hospital bed.
"No!!! No!! NO!!!!!!!!" I scream, not remembering where I am. "No!" I flail my arms and try to get the binding arms off me.
All I can see are shadows and a blinding light. Several people scattering about, trying to get me calm. But I have lost it.
"What?! Where am I? Get OFF! Get the f*ck off me!!" I continue to scream.
"Sedate her! Please, now!" I hear the doctor yell to one of the nurses.
I continue to attempt escape, I try to get up... but it is not working. They keep pushing me down. I just want out! I want out!
I feel a prick as the needle slides into my arm, and the liquid goes into my arm.
Almost instantly, I feel calm. I do not feel afraid, and I stop clawing at everyone. So, I lay back in the bed and stare up at the flourecent light on the ceiling.
"Elvira, it was just a dream. You are safe here. Can you understand me?" Dr. Thompson says.
I nod.
"Good. Now look at me," he says. I do. "/Good/. Now, I need for you to tell me the last thing you remember."
I think about the dream and then my mind goes back to the other night. All the blood, all the death...
I find blankets and grip them tightly. I feel my stomach come up my throat, like I'm about to puke. Then I realize that I am.
I quickly get up and walk, dizzily, the three feet distance into the bathroom, and vomit into the toilet.
"Noooo..." I whisper, as all the memories flood back. My whole family is dead. I get goosebumps as the truth sinks in.
I hug the toilet bowl and I begin to cry violently. Trying to deny it, trying to think of a shred of proof that would tell me that they are still alive. Still there.. that they are in the waiting room, waiting for me to wake up. Hoping that I am okay.
But I know that this fantasy is not true, as much as I would like to believe it.
I feel a comforting hand on my shoulder. I continue to hold the toilet bowl, expecting to feel sick again.
"We think you are suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD. It's a distorder that you acquire after a traumatic event. Of course, you must remember what happened?" Dr. Thompson says.
I nod my head, trying to hold back another sick wave rolling through my throat. Yes, its disgusting right?
"And... you have a pretty bad sprained ankle, and a few cuts and bruises. Nothing permanent. And..."
"Did--any--anyone m-make it?" I say with great difficulty.
"I don't know all the details. Officer Reed should probably tell you everything. I'll go get him. Just try to get back in the bed. I'll get the nurse to assist you." and with that, he leaves to fetch the Officer.
"Come on sweetheart," the nurse says as she tries to lift me up to my feet. But this only causes me to hug onto the toilet even more. (I know this sounds kind of awkward, but hey, her whole family just died.)
"Dear... Come on, we need to get you back in bed!" the nurse says as she jerks me up to my feet. I reluctantly cooperate and lean onto her. She does most of the work getting me back in the bed because I did not really want to go back to it in the first place. So if she insists, then she will have to take me there.
She lies me on the bed. All around are flowers, get well cards, and sorry cards. I turn the face the wall. I begin to cry again.
"Miss Sweete?" I hear a voice say at the doorway. Obviously the officer.
The nurse leaves and he takes a seat in the chair across from the bed. He takes off his hat and places it on the table. I avoid eye-contact as I glare at the wall, still sobbing uncontrollably.
"Miss Sweete, I regret to tell you that you are the lone survivor of a mass murder. Your family. I really am sorry. Please forgive me, but you need to hear this..." he says.
I cry even harder and try to say something, but this is all I can manage to say, "I-- didn't.. I can't be.. no.. why? Who else?" All the things just jumbled together and was not understandable.
"Ummm... but we need to ask you some questions when you are ready. But do you think you can answer a few right now? So we'll be able to get your family's murderer found?"
"I... I... I don't... I don't know," I stutter, then I go back into my uncontrollable crying.
"Try."
I nod my head.
"Okay, do you know who it was? We found you unconcious among everyone else."
I think a minute, remembering the werewolves. But he would not believe me. "All I remember are wolves. Lots and lots of wolves," I whisper.
"Wolves? Actually, as crazy as it sounds... that does make sense.." he says. The mutters into a tape recorder "There was no murder weapon found, and witness recalls wolves. Maybe a pack of wolves were set on a few of them. The bite marks did signify..."
I try not to listen to his notes, for they made me cry even harder.
When he finishes babbling different things into the tape recorder, he asks,"Did you see anyone there? And who?"
I swallow and blink back tears as I struggle to say, "Yesss. There, there was s-someone. Lots of-of th-them. B-but I don't know them."
"Can you give me a description?" he asks.
I think back and remember the man who found me and my cousins in the woods. "He had red hair, they all did. He was tall, and skinny, and I don't kn-know h-how to describe him. I was running away..." I say, trying not to stutter, which was difficult. I also tried not to mention anything about him being a werewolf, because then they'd probably put me in the mental house.
"Is that all?"
I nod my head.
"Okay, a few more questions... which of the murders were you present at? We found your finger prints on a pocket knife in the woods near one of the victims. We are wondering if you were with her, and then went to were everyone else was.
"Yes.. i was with Catherine and Dustin.. and they got killed... And.. th-thats-s all the people I actually saw killed. The others were already... dead... when I got there. Please, no more questions..." I plead, not wanting the images to go through my head again.
"What? Dustin?"
"Yes! My cousin! He got killed in the woods! Near the house!" I say, my voice cracking.
"No. He was not found... are you sure that he was killed?"
"Yes!" I scream.
"Alright, I'll get some more deputies to look around in the woods, again. But..."
"no! No more questions, please!" I yell.
"Sir, I think it is wise for you to go. Miss Sweete will call you when she is ready for further questioning. But right now, I think it is best that she recover from this..." the nurse says.
"Yes. Well, that would probably be best. Okay, well here's my number," he says as he writes on a pad, rips out the paper, and places it on the table next to my bed. "Call me when you are ready. No rush. But it would be a great help in finding your family's murderer if you would help us out, as soon as possible." with that, he puts his hat back on, and leaves.
I continue to glare at the wall, crying.
"Elvira? I'm Mrs. Rose. I'll be your nurse. Just push the call button on the side of your bed if you need anything." she says.
"How long have I been asleep?" I ask.
"A couple days. But don't worry. You'll be fine." she says, then she walks out.
I roll over, onto my stomach. I am crying into the pillow for what seems like hours, then I drift off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up, hearing voices. I am on my back, I guess they turned me over after I fell asleep.
I keep my eyes closed, wanting to listen in.
"She is doing fine right now," came the whispering voice of the nurse. "But please, don't wake her. We don't want her screaming again."
Then a voice that sounded familiar says, "I won't wake her. I just came to visit."
"Okay. But visiting hours are over in ten minutes. So your visit will have to be short." she says.
"Thats fine," he says. I hear him take a seat in the chair next to the bed.
"May I ask what your relationship with her is again? The lady at the desk didn't tell me." the nurse says.
"I'm a friend. I heard about it on the news. I was concerned," he says.
"Okay. Well, I'll be back in a few minutes," She says, then she leaves, and shuts the door behind her.
I cannot recognize the voice of the guy. It is familiar, but I can't put my finger on it...
I open my eyes, just slightly to see who it is. But they are looking down, and a shadow consumes their face, so I cannot see it.
I close my eyes, and sit there. Expecting him to talk, or something. Maybe I could figure out who he is. For some reason, I don't want to be awake. I don't want him to know that I am awake. I don't know why, it's wierd. So I keep my eyes closed.
Soon, I drift back to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Shhhh... don't wake her up!" the voice of my best friend, Kelly, says.
I open my eyes, glad to hear her voice.
With her are a few more of my friends. Sandra, Christine, Bobby, and my boyfriend, Aiden.
They didn't come to the cookout last night because they all had to work. But luckily for me, my parents gave me money, so I didn't have to work for it quite yet. But not anymore, I guess.
They see my eyes open and they all show sympathetic smiles.
"Hey," I whisper, my voice hoarse from crying. I already know that I am a mess from crying so much.
"Hey," they all say.
"How are you doing?" Kelly asks.
"Not too good, I guess you know." I say. "Did you guys bring me all the flowers and stuff?" I ask.
"Yep," Christine says. And she sympathetically smiles again.
"Elle, I'm so, so sorry," Aiden says. He comes over and hugs me. I hug him back, with little strength.
When he pulls away, everyone else comes up to me and they each hug me. Bobby and Sandra both sit down, and the rest remain on their feet.
The room is quiet for a little while, then I say,"Thanks for coming, guys. I don't--- don't have anyone else now." Tears build up in my eyes again, and Kelly comes and hugs me again. I cry onto her shoulder. I can tell that she is crying a little too.
"Okay, Elle. I have to go, you know, to work. Boss won't give me the night off. Whatever. But you know I'd rather be here, right?" She says.
I nod, "Yeak, go ahead. You can always come back tomorrow. Or later tonight. Whichever."
"Yeah, I'll come back tonight." she says.
Everyone else, but Aiden, says, "I have to go too."
"Yeah, work. I know. I'm glad I don't have to work..." I say.
They all hug me again, saying they are all sorry, then they leave. Then it's just me and Aiden left in the room. He pulls the chair up next to the bed and sits in it.
"Elle, I am so sorry." He says.
I remain silent, then I say. "Everyone keeps saying that. I know you are, but you've said it atleast ten times since you've been here," I say, trying to say it like a joke, but apparenly I can't make a joke right now.
Teary-eyed, I look up at the ceiling.
"Well, you know. It is really really sad. Everyone is sad, I mean. They're best friend's whole family died. It's tearing us up to see you so sad," he says.
"I know... I know. Thanks. Thanks for everything," I say.
The nurse comes in with a tray of food, so I guess that it is lunch time. "Okay, time for lunch," she says, setting the tray in my lap.
I eat the food hungrily while Aiden sits there patienly. When I have finished eating, we talk for a little while.
"How are they going to do the funerals?" I ask.
"I'm not sure. They'll probably have a few of them together, I don't know." he says.
"Oh," I say. "So they haven't scheduled them yet?"
"No. Not that I've heard of, yet." he says.
Then the nurse comes back in and picks up my empty tray. "Okay, you're going to have to go now," she says to Aiden. Then she turns to me, "You have to see a therapist. He'll be in here with you shortly." Then she leaves.
"Okay," Aiden says. "Well, I guess I'll see you later." He kisses my cheek and then leaves.
Soon after he leaves, the therapist comes in.
"Hello, Elvira! I'm Dr. Floyd. I'm going to ask you some questions." the girl says. I already do not like her. She is a preppy person with a permanent-fake-smile on her face. I am in no mood to deal with / this /.
"Okay," Dr. Floyd says. "Where should we start?"
"How the hell should I know?"
"Now now! Let's not use that aggressive behavior! Try to say that in a more... progressive way! So we can get you through this funk!" she says.
"What the hell? My whole family has just been killed and you're saying that I am in a funk?!" I scream.
"Well, I am here to help you feel better and get on with life." she says. Obviously she's either new, or has no social skills.
"Well, so far, you're making me feel even shittier than I felt before." I say.
"I highly doubt that," she says, smiling. "Now, today, lets try to get it all out! Tell me everything," she says.
"No." I say flatly.
"And why not? I am your therapist. I promise you that it will make you feel better!"
"No."
"Hmmm. How about if you tell Mr. Froggy?" she says, pulling out a plastic from puppet.
"Lady, I'm not stupid. I'm not mental. And I am not going to talk to a plastic from like a f*cking ten year old." I say, crossing my arms.
"Now now, most of my adults talk to Mr. Froggy like he's their best friend!" she says.
"First of all, I'm not one of your mental patients. Second, you were probably the one that made them mental. Third of all, I'd like to be left alone to mourne without having some preppy bitch coming in here and taunting me!" I yell the last one really loud.
"No-can-do. Your doctor said that you aren't going to leave this hospital unless you are found stable by a therapist. So that is what I am here for. You are scheduled to be with me for two hours over the next couple of days here. Then when you leave the hospital, you're going to have to have one-hour appointments once a week with me." she says matter-of-factly. "So, lets get this started then!"
Ohhhh, shit.
Sign up to rate and review this story