Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > River of the Night - Part 1

River of the Night - Part 1 (Chapter 9)

by geekysoundcat 0 reviews

She found him on the remains of a battlefield. Wrapped in the arms of a red haired woman as she lay on the ground struggling to hold on to the last remains of her life. He looked at her with blue e...

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover,Fantasy,Humor - Characters: Naruto - Published: 2013-02-10 - Updated: 2013-02-10 - 3598 words - Complete

0Unrated
Disclaimer: If you didn't notice last time that I changed it I hope you do this time! I don't own Naruto or Fairy Tail as sad and disappointing as it is. Woe is me and all that jazz. Super duper jazz.

Author's Note: First off, a quote from an anonymous reviewer, "Ultear is great. Ultear is lovely. Ultear is the epitome of everything Naruto stands for: craftiness and passion. Ultear is great because she's better than Mirajane. Most importantly Ultear has big BOOBS. That is all. Thank you for writing this beautiful story." That is one of the funniest reviews I have ever read, I just had to quote it. I almost decided just to pick Ultear on principle because of it. Be grateful Mirajane fans that I didn't.

So, chapter nine is here! Let there be dancing and insanity. Fine, I'll keep it to myself. Anyway there's a bit of a time skip between this chapter and the last one. Not all the way to Lucy! But, a bit of jump nonetheless. Can't stay there forever or I'll never catch up! It's getting further into the plot now as we see the story develop.

'Fishing' - Normal

'Fishing' - Spells

'Fishing' - Thoughts, Flashbacks and Dreams (Use logic to differentiate!)

Chapter 9:

"Laxus."

"Hai."

"If you don't somehow grow the balls to attack me very soon then it's quite possible I'll die of old age before it happens."

There was silence for several moments before Laxus sent and arch of lightning flying at Naruto with a wave of his hand. Twisting his body to the side Naruto shifted out of the way just in time to watch the lightning speed past the right side of his face. Giving Laxus a fanged grin he returned with his own wave of blinding white widespread magic that lacked the power of even his weakest Dragon Roars, but could target a larger area which he knew was a good move given Laxus's speed. His estimation was proved right when he saw Laxus having to waste magical energy to forcibly carve his way through the magic.

"Come on Laxus, you can't have been serious with that attack," he taunted. He knew taunting an opponent just because you held the temporary upper hand was never a good move, but at the moment it was necessary. Laxus saw him as a friend and as such didn't want to attack him in case he accidentally harmed him. It was a good caution he supposed, given that they were around equal power meaning both would have to go all out to keep up with the other. If one had been weaker or greatly stronger then the other, it would have made the situation easier to deal with.

Hands on his knees Laxus looked up and glared and Naruto, "Remind me why I'm doing this again."

"I need training to perfect a technique and you want my help with the magic that Lacrima could give you. It's a trade off. A good one too given that we're the best people to help each other in this situation. Besides, it's good training either way," Naruto replied.

Looking back down at his feet Laxus nodded before shifting back into a fighting stance. "Fine, but I hope you're ready to take a beating."

Naruto shrugged, before giving him another grin, "We'll see."

There was absolute stillness for several moments before both opponents shifted quickly into action. Lightning sparked round Laxus's body before he launched himself at Naruto's body at speeds hardly visible to the human eye. Catching Laxus by surprise Naruto muttered a quick spell under his breathe and instead of dodging, took his attack full on - in a manner of speaking. Instead of his lightning surrounded fist connecting with Naruto he found himself flying straight through him. Only his magic allowing him to change directions quickly and avoid falling to the floor.

What the hell? he thought in surprise.

But, he didn't allow it to deter him, rushing Naruto again only to receive the same result. He growled in irritation launching a quick flurry of punches and kicks the feeling of frustration growing as none of them connected. He was almost ready to ask Naruto himself what he was doing when suddenly it clicked in his mind. He knew Naruto was the Moon and Night Dragon Slayer, what he'd forgotten was his research on his power. Not Dragon Slayer magic, but rather the element he represented. Moon magic at it's core was negation magic, negating the effects of spells. Naruto seemed to take this a step further and turn into a literal ghost. Not feeling the effects of magic or matter. It didn't appear though that he was able to cast other magic when he was using the spell. The only way he could that to remove that form was to create too much magical power to negate.

Stepping back he chanted with his fist raised into the air, "Resounding through the air, the roar of thunder, plunge from the heavens and reap destruction!"

Gasping in surprise as he watched the gathering of magical power above him Naruto quickly released the spell. Knowing he wasn't yet able to withstand that kind of magical blast. This was going to cost him to defend against. Gathering his magic in both of his hands he raised them above his head to guard himself and murmured, "Hikari kara shahei."

A shell of darkness began to grow form his raised fists. Growing and shaping until a shield completely surrounded his body. He just hoped the spell worked against lightning. Then the light came crashing down upon him. A ball of lightning like he'd never seen before. Groaning at the pressure he fell to his knees as the strain pushed against his shield. Forcing more magic into his shield he took several deep breathes searching for his centre in the raging storm. His shield was not designed for lightning precisely. It was made to protect against those who used sun or light magic, that which was his natural opposite. Lightning while similar wasn't exactly the same and it was costing him.

For a moment Laxus felt his heart stop. Afraid he'd actually killed his friend as the dust cloud around Naruto failed to clear. Then he heard a cough and a muttered curse before a concentrated blast of slivery white magic was sent straight at him. Not having time to defend with his own he dodged with a spark of lightning before launching himself at the source of the magic. Clearing the dust with his quick movement. Naruto was there to meet him with the gravity set heavy upon his body arms raised like a cross in front of him. The collision had the ground shaking and a shockwave blasting the air around the outwards.

Lightening the gravity Naruto quickly twisted his body round Laxus's fist.

"Yoru no tsume," he murmured slashing at Laxus unprotected back. Fortunately for the older boy he had quick reflexes and managed to dodge out the way receiving only light scratches across instead of the deep slashes he would have received instead. Hardly noticing the injury he returned with his own kick to Naruto's side that the paler teen dodged with a quick lightening of gravity. Leaving it that way he grabbed onto Laxus's shoulder. Digging his claws in deep before contorting his body round and launching a kick at his side.

Blocking the limbs Laxus raised the lighting power arching round his body and forced Naruto to let go with a hiss.

Moving further apart from each other they glared across the field. "That spell hurt."

"Well, your ghost thing was annoying me," Laxus replied.

"Hhhmmm… learnt anything useful?"

"A bit, though I think Natsu's would be more suited to me then yours."

"You're probably right, but I'll talk more about the basics later. In the end you have to make it your own anyway," Naruto agreed.

"I suppose," he murmured. "Did fighting me help you get any closer to perfecting that technique?"

"Every fight helps."

Laxus raised an eyebrow.

"Fine, it was helpful. Arigatou and all that," he replied. "It was good training anyway."

There was silence for several moments before Laxus spoke, "Want to carry on?"

Naruto grinned, "I thought you'd never ask."

Flaring their magic, aura's shaping round them they readied their attacks. Preparing to fire a blast they were both stopped mid-spell by the sudden appearance of a little girl with white hair in the middle of their fight, freezing both of them. "You shouldn't be fighting!"

"Uh… little boy-"

"She's a girl Naruto, remember Cana's lesson. Look at the dress plus its pink, how did you miss that?" he interrupted.

"Oh, right. Little girl we're not really fighting we're-"

"Lisanna!" called out a loud feminine voice.

"Am I ever going to finish a-" muttered Naruto only to be interrupted again this time by a loud male voice.

"Lisanna!"

"I give up," he sighed releasing the magic he'd built up, Laxus giving him a smirk before doing the same. "Look tiny, we weren't really fighting."

The small girl - now identified as Lisanna - still continued to frown though, in obvious disbelief. "But you were hurting each other!"

"Well," Laxus started, "sometimes that happens when train-"

Suddenly a taller white haired girl came stumbling out the forest not really noticing anything, but the small girl standing in the middle of the clearing. She breathed a sigh of relief and ran forward giving the girl a tight hug, "Don't scare me like that."

"Mira-nee," the girl said with a smile.

"See, it happens to you too," Naruto pointed out to Laxus. Inside though there was a little white haired man in his head representing his inner pervert that was giving the girl a good look up and down. Too young now, but she has potential, it whispered.

The older boy resisted sticking his tongue out at the pale teen. He'd never be caught dead doing something so childish. His words however, did have the result of alerting the new arrival to their presence in the clearing. Realising she wasn't alone the older girl - presumably a sibling given their similar appearance - stood protectively in front of her sister, trying to guard the girl from both sides.

"What did you do to my sister!?" she asked, doing her best to look as menacing as possible. Oh, she will be wild in bed one day.

You got that from one comment? Naruto asked, questioning this perverted voice.

One very commanding comment. How can you not see it! the perverted voice pled.

Naruto mentally shook his head, "Why do you assumed we did anything to her?"

"Because you probably did," she replied giving him a dark look.

Naruto, Laxus thought, why couldn't you have just said we did nothing. Now this whole stupid thing could escalate.

Both the boys stared at her for several moments, unsure exactly what to say when they increasingly awkward moment was interrupted by another arrival. He came tumbling through the bush far less gracefully then the last arrival. Landing roughly on his hands and knees before scrambling back to his feet and wiping the dust off his blue suit. Looking round he took in the scene in front of him. "Ah… gomen, I hope we didn't interrupt anything."

"Elf-nii-chan," shouted Lisanna. Clearly distracted from her earlier vendetta against Naruto and Laxus. Starting a run towards him with arms wide open and a big smile on her face. She was unfortunately stopped by the older girl who grabbed the back of her dress and plopped her back behind her. "Later, Lisanna. Elfman, come here quick," she ordered her nervousness at the situation hidden beneath a commanding exterior.

Using the time the boy was walking over to the two girls, Naruto quickly searched them with his magic immediately noticing at the start they were all mages or at least had the potential to be with a decent amount of magical power. Looking deeper he felt himself almost slip into a state of shock. How could they… how could they all use take-over magic? he thought in shock. It was clear from his findings that they all had innate take-over magic. Each one seeming to be slightly different from the other as most magics are, but it was take-over magic he felt.

Pushing passed the shock he felt for now he searched deeper feeling a similarity in all their magics. A link that seemed to join them, something he'd begun to learn meant close familial relation between all of them. Siblings most likely, though the boy didn't look as similar as the two girls did. It did explain though, the fact that they all had take-over magic. It wasn't uncommon amongst siblings. It was still a shock to him, he didn't think he'd ever come across other take-over users. It wasn't exactly a common magic.

Perhaps they could help him. He hadn't tried in a while. Not since he'd arrived at Fairy Tail, too worried about what might happen if he failed. It had been a while, but he still hadn't forgotten… the scar he'd left. He shook his head, Not the time to reminisce, Naruto.

"We weren't doing anything to her," Laxus explained with his hands raised in a placating manner.

"A likely story," the older girl hissed.

She was clearly the oldest, despite being shorter then the boy. Her demeanour not only agreeing with his assessment, but her magic too. It felt… more aged and potent then that of her siblings. Her take-over magic definitely more familiar to him then either of theirs. Slightly demonic in ways theirs was not. Given his recent discovery Naruto - ignoring common curtesy - decided to get straight to the point interrupting the repetitive conversation.

"You use take-over magic?"

Laxus winced, Right to the point as usual.

"Who told you that?" she asked. Her face now more easily reflecting her agitation.

"Nobody, I could just sense it in your magic. It is familiar to me," he explained.

Laxus raised a brow. He'd forgotten about that. Naruto had only mentioned it in passing and he'd never seen him use it so it was easy to forget that Naruto's innate magic was take-over. Having also taken the time to sense them out he'd detected the similarities and familiarity in their magic though he'd been unable to identify what it was. Now it was more clear that the familiarity was the undertone he always felt in Naruto's magic.

"Why's it so familiar to you?"

"You have not taken the time to sense it?" he asks with a furrowed brow of confusion. The girl looked around Erza's age which was certainly old enough to have learnt, though he wasn't sure if Erza herself could.

The girl flushed, "I only learnt how recently, and it's not my best."

"Oh, then I see no reason to tell you," Naruto replied with a wave of dismissal. "When you learn how to sense it you'll figure it out."

She glared at him.

Laxus sighed, "There's no need to antagonise her, Naruto. You told me."

"It wasn't meant to antagonising and I only told you because we're teammates and friends."

"Teammates," interrupted a small voice from behind the taller girl.

"Yes, teammates. We belong to the same guild," Laxus explained.

"Then why were you fighting, you even said you're friends?" she asked as she held onto the back of her sister's shorts.

"That's what we've been trying to explain. We weren't fighting, just training," Laxus said.

"Oh…" she said in surprise, "Mira-nee."

"Hai."

"We can go now, they weren't fighting," she explained with a big smile on her face.

The boy who had a protective hand on her shoulder knelt down to her level, "What do you mean?"

"Well, I came here to stop them fighting. But, they weren't fighting which means I don't have to stop them anymore. So, we can go," she said still smiling.

The oldest of them sighed and ran her fingers through white wavy hair. "So, all this happened for nothing?"

"Not nothing."

"Oh, really?" the girl asked with a raised brow.

Lisanna nodded, "Hai, now we can ask for directions." She turned to face the boys, "Mira-nee doesn't have the best sense of dire-"

A hand clamped over her mouth and the older girl flushed. "Don't tell them that Lisanna."

Laxus snickered and she shot him a death glare. But, at least the situation seemed defused for the most part.

"I'm Naruto Uzumaki," said the pale blonde, deciding it best to introduce himself. He didn't think calling the older two Elf-nii-chan and Mira-nee would work too well. "And the idiot laughing over there is Laxus Dreyar."

"Who's an idiot now?" Laxus asked with a raised brow.

"Nothing you need to worry about, Laxus," he replied reached up a hand to fiddle with his hair, turning to face the siblings at the centre of the clearing. "And you are?"

"Mirajane Strauss," she said introducing herself, "and these are my brother and sister Elfman and Lisanna."

Naruto nodded his head at them in acknowledgement of the introduction. "What place are you looking for?"

Mirajane flushed, Did he have to bring that up again?

"Fairy Tail Guild," said Elfman when Mirajane failed to reply. "Do you know where it is?"

Laxus and Naruto shared a look. Laxus smirked and replied, "Sure, we can even take you there if you want."

"Really!?" exclaimed the smallest girl with a smile. Her blue eyes shining with delight, "'Cause if Mira-nee gets us lost again I-"

A hand was once again clamped over her mouth. "We'd appreciate the help."

Naruto shrugged, "Just follow us then."

"Won't they mind if you just barge in there. Don't you belong to another guild."

Both teens shrugged and spoke simultaneously, "They'll get over it."

0-0-0-0-0-0-0

As soon as Naruto opened the doors to allow them through he raised his fist directly in front of his face just in time for Natsu to collide with it. The pick haired boy then flopping down to the ground in a heap. "One day I shall defeat you and Laxus too," he mumbled from his place on the floor.

"When I'm old and decrepit I might agree with you," Naruto replied before continuing to walk inside.

Lisanna seemed to take offence to his actions though and bent down next to the downed boy. "Are you okay?" Natsu nodded dazedly from his position on the floor and gave her a shaky thumbs up. She frowned and turned to Naruto, "Why'd you do that?"

He shrugged, "Natsu seems to take joy in attacking me every time I walk into the guild. I'm hoping it's something he grows out of, but in the mean time I find it best to just knock him out as quick as possible. It usually discourages him from trying for the rest of the day."

The little girl pouted up at him, but didn't argue any further.

The way Naruto phrased that sentence though made something in Mirajane's mind click. She cocked her head to the side and with a raised eyebrow gave Naruto a look that would have had lesser men quacking in their boots. "What exactly do you mean by that?"

"By what exactly?"

"By that… every time you walk into the guild. You say it as if you do that often?"

"Well, I do. After all, I am a member off Fairy Tail," he replied with a grin.

"You must have a death wish," she said giving him a deadpan stare.

"I'm with you on that," Laxus interjected.

"No need to be cruel, anyone with common sense could have figured it out. It's not my fault you couldn't," Naruto replied.

Mirajane growled.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Translation:

Hikari kara shahei - Shielding from the Light (You have no idea how long it took to find a phrase short enough for that spell).

Yoru no tsume - Night Claws

Author's Notes: Wanted to try my hand at a more detailed fight scene. Even if it was only training. It was really the only way I could get what I wanted into the chapter. It took forever for me to start this chapter, no lies. I just had so much to put in without being sure how to do it. So, this chapter you saw the arrival of the Strauss family. It would have been easier to write if Elfman was already spouting all that stuff about "Man!", unfortunately he's a lot more docile in the beginning of the series. It was also a nightmare going through that whole thing without actually writing Elfman and Mirajane's names.

Next chapter will get things moving on faster again. We introduce not only the Exceeds, but the S-Class exams too. Finally some action again. So much easier to write then this. It will probably be a bit longer too. This chapter was more of a filler to introduce the Strauss family and make a lead up to the S-Class exams. Quite a lot actually happens in this year, but it doesn't happen too close together meaning it's not that easy to link up.

Thank you all for your continued support throughout this story, you've been really consistent and helpful. Please continue to review, thanks!

Artwork: A reminder for those of you who don't know. I have an artwork of Naruto on my profile that you should go and check out if you're interested. Just copy and paste the link.
Sign up to rate and review this story