Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Different Sort of Bond

Chapter Five

by Balder 3 reviews

An unusual mishap in Sixth Year Potions makes Harry and Daphne Greengrass spend a lot of time together.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Harry,Neville - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2013-03-04 - Updated: 2013-03-04 - 1964 words

5Original
Chapter 5

DISCLAIMER: I don't own the Potterverse!
RATING: NC-17
WARNINGS: Nudity, bad language, innuendo, A. U.
SPOILERS: This is is a Sixth Year story so spoilers for the previous five years may be contained herein.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: I said I'd have the chapter up by today and I did!

After the Unspeakable left Daphne turned to ask Tracy what her diagnosis had been but stopped when the Deputy Headmistress walked in. She went over to the nurse’s office with no more than a nod to the students. So once the door was closed Daphne asked, “What did he tell you two?”

Tracy was about to answer when the door banged open and Severus Snape strode in with his cloak billowing behind him and a sneer on his face. He strode directly to the Nurse's office without a glance at anyone.

After about 16 minutes they all came back out of the office. "Are you sure the Unspeakable said to refer all questions to him Poppy?" Severus asked.

She nodded, "He did and as he is in charge of this case I will be following his instructions."

Minerva nodded, "I'll go inform the headmaster." She looked over at the students, "I shall return later to discuss with you ways in which you may keep up with your work for the duration of your stay as it seems this may be a lengthy problem."

Severus looks at Harry sitting happily in bed with one of his favorite students and starts to glare. It only intensifies when Harry ignores it entirely. After a few minutes he turns and leaves abruptly in a swirl of black robes.

Tracy shivered, "I don't know how you could ignore a stare like that Harry. It wasn't even directed at me and it made me shiver."

Harry shrugged, “I'm not taking any classes with him so I'm not worried he'll deduct points and after facing Voldemort again and winning again I've found Snape’s not all that scary. Sure he’s a death eater but I’ve beaten them too. And I'm not the only one. Neville took down Antonin Dolohov with no wand and a broken nose so they are far from unbeatable. They only got as far as they did in the first war because of two things.”

Daphne raised a golden eyebrow, “And what are those two things Potter? You seem to be in a lecturing mood I’ll play along and ask the questions. I can hear Tracey's diagnosis later.”

“The first was fear,” Harry stated. “Tracey illustrated how most witches and wizards reacted and still react when the DEs show up. If people are too scared to fight you then it isn’t hard to win. This gets reinforced when only one person stands up to them and the others see them go down under the weight of numbers but if every British magical capable of firing a spell fought them they would never have been a threat.”

Neville hugs Tracey, “It’s okay Tracey. I reacted the same way at first but Harry taught me to defend myself and I’d be happy to defend you as well.“ He sighed, “I just wish you didn’t have to live under that bastard’s thumb.”

“You may get help with that Mr. Longbottom,” Madame Pomfrey said. “You'll see how later. I want to hear the rest of what Mr. Potter was saying. He is right about the first part. Back in the first war most people just tried to keep their heads down and did nothing, like ostriches with our heads in the sand we were. It’s why I agreed to come work here rather than continue at St. Mungo’s; because I figured it was safer here. I’m older now and hopefully wiser and I will do my part if there is another war and I will fight to protect anyone under my care. No matter who is threatening them.”

Harry smiled, “I’m glad to hear that.” Then he scowled, “The second thing was prejudice. If there was no prejudice against others for having non-magical ancestors Tom Riddle could never have been more than an individual threat. He’s powerful sure and ruthless but without all this nonsense about blood purity he never would have duped people into following him.”

“Who's Tom Riddle Potter?” Daphne asked.

Harry lifted his wand and wrote out ‘Tom Marvolo Riddle’ in glowing letters then rearranged them into ‘I am Lord Voldemort’. “He really was the heir of Slytherin through Merope Gaunt but he bears the name of his muggle father and he hated that hence the new name. So most people believe him to be some sort of pureblood champion when he’s got less magical blood in him than any of the four of us and as far as I know he couldn't care less about blood purity. He's just after power and made up a creed that appealed to a certain group with both money and influence. His inner circle must know this. I am guessing here but it certainly seems like they figured it was a good scam and they wanted in on the ground floor. I did some research over the summer in the Black family library. The inner circle had several younger sons who inherited suddenly through "accidents" and Nott's father was nominated to the Wizengamot by Malfoy and seconded by Carrow. They keep quiet so that the majority who believe it will support him, and by extension them, in secret. Auror Tonks has said that more than once evidence against a follower of his has gone missing from inside the ministry. Sometimes even from the auror offices! That helps spread the fear too. Not knowing who can be trusted and who cannot. Worrying about who's watching you and to whom they might report.”

Harry gave Daphne a rather wry grin, “Actually it sounds sort of like how you’ve been describing Slytherin House under Snape. Big surprise huh?”

“You’ve given us a lot to think on Potter,” Daphne replied. “Now how about some peace and quiet with no tense situations or revelations until the Deputy comes back at least so I can think?”

Harry smiled, “I’ll do my best.”

Daphne sat and thought and had a long conversation with Tracey under a privacy spell. Neville and Harry played cards. Harry had told him a few non magical games over the years. It was a little to play with one hand but Harry managed.

"So what did the healer say Nev?" Harry asked as he considered his cards.

Neville shrugged, "Mostly what you already know. He gave us a calling crystal and said that if the polyjuice didn't wear off in a week to call him." Neville hesitated briefly, "He said one other thing but I should wait and ask Tracey before I mention it. Okay?"

Harry nodded, "Sure." He smiled, "She seems like a nice girl. Do you like her?"

"She's right there you know," Neville said with a faint blush. "And just because we can't hear them doesn't mean they can't hear us."

"Good point," Harry said. "Let's just play cards."

Three hours later the girls were still talking and Harry was showing Neville some new spells he'd found in the Black library at Grimmauld Place when Minerva McGonagall came back in and asked for their attention. Madame Pomfrey stood next to her but stayed silent.

She cleared her throat and once she was sure all four were listening she said, "After talking with the School Nurse, The Unspeakable in charge of both your cases and the Headmaster I've come to offer you two choices. If you were any younger I wouldn't be offering any of these to you. It would be up to either your parents or your head of house. However as you are all at least sixteen you are of age for several things in the wizarding world even though you are not considered a full adult until your next birthday. I hope you will use this new status responsibly." She paused to stare each of them in the eyes then nodded once.

She continued, "Among other things, you are allowed to decide who can know your personal medical history. Well, within reason that is. So we could could not contact your parents, or guardians about this without your permission." She takes a deep breath, "It also means you are of an age where you do not require chaperonage. Legally at least, you are all over the age of consent. It is why Poppy has caught no flak for putting Mr. Potter and Miss Greengrass in one bed regardless of circumstance."

She gives Daphne a slight but genuine smile, "Unless you request otherwise, that bit of information will not be shared with your parents."

"I find that an reasonable and even admirable decision Deputy Headmistress," Daphne said. "In fact, as far as possible I'd rather my parents receive no information at all on my medical condition this year."

McGonagall nods, "I shall send none and I'm sure Poppy will add also honor your request. You may wish to contact Mr. Bode to let him know once we are done here."

"Mr. Bode?" Harry asked. "Was he the Unspeakable?"

Minerva nods, "Indeed. I recognized him from when he was a student of mine. Hermione occasionally reminds me of him." She rubs her hands briskly together, "However that is neither here nor there. So on to your choices. First, you can stay here in the infirmary. We normally never fill all the beds during a school year so having up to three beds occupied until Winter Break will not be a hardship on us. I know he expects Mr. Longbottom to be back to himself inside of a week but that is merely an educated guess at this point."

Madame Pomfrey spoke up, "I imagine you'd get quite bored even with friends bringing you your assignments. Tracey could help me but the rest of you would just be watching for the most part."

Professor McGonagall nodded, "And it would be nice to have the beds free, just in case. So we have another option for you. Since Mr. Bode wants Mr. Longbottom and Miss Davis to stay near each other for the time being and of course Mr. Potter and Miss Greengrass must be co-located as well this would preclude you going back to your dorm rooms. Ergo, we shall open up one of the suites available for visiting VIPs. Such as were offered during the TriWizard tournament to visiting teachers from the other two schools. Parents and other relatives use them on occasion as well. The suite I'm thinking of would hold all four of you comfortably. Mr. Bode could see you without interfering with the normal business of the infirmary and not being confined to your room you would not be bored. You'd also have access to the library to help you finish your assignments. I would be willing to come by after classes and assist you if you have trouble with your Transfiguration assignments and Filius has agreed to the same for Charms."

She continued, "Miss Greengrass as you are the only one of the four taking NEWT level runes or Arithmancy I was unable to secure you that promise from Professors Babbling or Vector but the headmaster has agreed to help as his schedule permits. Since he has masteries in both subjects as well as Transfiguration and Charms I daresay he'd be an excellent tutor." She looked at her watch, "I'll let you discuss these options for ten minutes then I'm afraid I must have your response."

With that the two older women walked off into the nurse's office and closed the door.
Sign up to rate and review this story