Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Give 'Em Hell Kid

Keep On Bringing Me Down

by MichiamoNicola 3 reviews

Cara has a guest turn up unannounced and Gerard and Lindsey unveil some big news. Tension is high in the Way household...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way - Published: 2013-03-09 - 2771 words

0Unrated


Long time no update, I know. This one is probably going to be a bit short and a bit boring maybe, hopefully you haven't all abandoned me.

This was bound to be the most awkward experience of my adolescent life. I have just walked into the house with my new boyfriend and my old best friend (who Isuspect has a crush on me) is sitting in my living room.

"Cara, wow, you've changed," Alex stammered out, his eyes wide in awe. I tightened my grip on Dean's hand, not liking the way Alex was looking me up and down.

"Uh, yeah, considering I haven't seen you in like a year," I responded.

He chuckled nervously, raking his hand through his coloured hair. Dean's face was stoic as he scrutinised this strange guy that was in my house.

"Uh, hi, I'm Alex," he introduced himself, flinching at Dean's still-hard look.

"Dean,"was all he said, not bothering with a hello or anything.

Gerard chose that choice moment to saunter into the room. "So what did you guys do that took all afternoon? Skip town and elope or something?"

I rolled my eyes at him, honestly. "I fell asleep, no biggie."

Gerard raised an eyebrow at me then turned to Dean. "You must be doing something wrong if she's falling asleep, she should be awake during these kinds of things..."

"Gee!Shut up, okay? I met his brother and then we were talking and I fell asleep, okay? Nothing like you're suggesting."

He opened his mouth to say something else, but quickly closed it as he saw the glare on my face that dared him to say anything more.

"Good to see you anyway, Dean. You met Alex?" he changed the subject, trying to break the tension between the teenage boys.

"Yeah, I did." Once again, Dean's expression had hardened to one of distaste.

I decided to put a stop to it. "Excuse me, Alex." I pulled Dean to my room and shut the door behind me. "What's your issue?"

Dean's mouth puckered and I knew exactly what he was thinking. "I don't like that Alex kid."

"Okay, firstly, you literally just met him; secondly, we have absolutely no history apart from being school friends for like a month. Just chill, okay? You're acting like a jealous asshole."

His facial expression softened and his entire body looked more relaxed. "You're right, I'm sorry for acting like this but I still don't like him. He looks at you like a piece of meat."

"Yeah, I kinda got that impression too, but be nice, please? He's not like you, I was his only friend when I went to his school. Private school assholes, remember?"

He sighed. "Yeah, I guess. I'll attempt to not be an asshole, but I can't guarantee it."

I reached up on my toes and pecked his lips. "Good."

~

Every spare moment was awkward. I'd forgotten just how socially awkward Alex was, even around me. And Gerard's social commentary wasn't exactly helping. It was mostly silent except for the TV and light, but awkward, conversation. I was relieved when Lindsey finally called us to dinner. However that still proved to be extremely awkward.

I was seated at the head of the table, with Alex to my right and Dean to my left with Lindsey and Gerard seated next to the boys. All that could be heard was the clatter of cutlery on the plates as we attempted to cover up the awkwardness with our eating.

Alex kept his eyes averted to his plate while Dean would send him angry stares until I would kick him from underneath the table. Lindsey and Gerard kept sharing looks with each other, seeming to be a part of a whole other conversation.

Amidst the silence, I cleared my throat, attracting the attention of everyone at the table. "I have something I'd like to share with you all," I started, looking towards Dean who gave me a smile for the first time since we walked in the door. "This afternoon Dean and I officially became an item."

Lindsey aww'ed and Gerard gave us a wolf whistle as Dean and I both ducked our heads in embarrassment. Alex kept his face trained on his plate, but I couldn't dwell on it any longer because Lindsey had captured our attention.

"Not to upstage you guys or anything, you know we love you, but Gerard and I have some big news too," Lindsey looked over at Gerard who seemed to be bursting at the seams, "Oh, go on then."

"We're having a baby!" Gerard burst out, absolutely ecstatic. I jumped up from my spot to embrace Lindsey and Gerard.

"Congratulations!Oh my God, I'm going to have a sibling!" I exclaimed. Dean smiled at my enthusiasm, while Alex seemed to have lost his appetite.

"I'm sure you'll be the best big sister ever," Dean smiled at me. I leaned over and gave him another peck on the lips and we all resumed our dinner.

Feeling that he was left out, I decided to include Alex in our conversation. "So how has school been since I left?" I asked him.

"I dropped out a while ago, actually. Just been hanging around, not really doing anything. I've been thinking about going to a public school to finish off, but I have no idea where. My dad's kinda AWOL these days, he works away from home alot," Alex replied, pushing the remainder of his food around his plate.

"Why don't you find a place here and finish at Belleville High?" I suggested.

"I was thinking that, but I don't have anywhere to stay," Alex said.

"Don't be silly, you can live with us until you find a place," Lindsey interjected.

My eyes locked with Dean's. As much as Alex was my friend, I knew his constant presence would irritate Dean.

"Really?That's so thoughtful of you, thank you. Hopefully I can find a place quickly,"Alex accepted Lindsey's offer.

For the rest of the meal, Dean's fists were clenched tightly around his knife and fork, his jaw set hard and he refrained from looking up, unless asked.

As Lindsey, Gerard and Alex cleared the table, Dean pulled me into my room to talk.

"I know that I was going to attempt to get on with this Alex guy, but I can't do it. Not while he's staying here at your house, I can't trust him."

"Dean, I'd never try anything with Alex, you know that."

"It's not you I don't trust, I trust you a hundred per cent; it's Alex I don't trust. First he shows up unannounced and now he's moving in with your family. He's up to something, I just know it."

I put my hands on Dean's shoulders in an attempt to calm him. "Dean, if you trust me then why are you worrying?" Dean opened his mouth, but closed it again. He knew I was right and his argument was pointless. "If it troubles you so much then I'll avoid being at home with him as often as possible. I'll come around to yours after school and on weekends so I don't see him much. Do you want me to do that?"

Dean paused. "But what about Gerard and Lindsey? Will they care if you're not at home as much as you were?"

I brushed it off with my hand. "They'll deal with it. Besides, once Alex is out of the house then I won't have to be away from home so much. It'll be fine, trust me."

He hesitated, and then wrapped his arms around my waist. "I think I like that idea. As much as I want you to get to know Gerard and Lindsey, I don't want you hanging around Alex. He just screams bad news."

"I know that's what you think and I guess that I respect that thought, even though I've known Alex longer than I have you. We'll just deal with it, okay? We're mature young adults, we're going to face problems worse than this in our lifetime."

He placed a gentle kiss on my lips. "I guess I can live with that. C'mon, better not leave Gee and Lindsey with Alex for too long."

We went back out to the living room and Gerard beckoned for us to join them.

"So, with Alex moving in with us we've decided some rooming arrangements. Alex will be staying in what is going to be the nursery and once the baby comes," Gerard looked over to Lindsey and they looked at each other with sickeningly sweet eyes, "Alex will be rooming with you until he finds a place. As long as Dean is fine with that," he tacked on the end.

I looked over to Dean, expecting a blowout. But I was surprised with his reply.

"There are bigger things I'll have to face in life; I guess I can deal with it."

"Oh, well, then that's great, wow I didn't expect that," Gerard said the last part under his breath.

However, Dean wasn't finished with his spiel. "But just so you know, Alex, I don't like you and I don't trust you. If Cara breathes so much as a word to me about you being a smart-ass, then she's out of this house until you're gone. Do you really want to drive Cara out of her own home when she's just getting to know her father?" Dean questioned him.

I rolled my eyes at his over-protectiveness. "Dean, give the kid a break."

He ignored me. "Cara might be able to put up with you, but I sure won't. One toe out of line and there's no such thing as 'Alex' anymore. Capiche?"

I expected Alex to succumb to Dean's power, but he resisted. "What if Cara decides that she wants me instead of you? What will you do then?"

Gerard decided to stop this verbal pissing contest. "Okay, we get it. If Alex bothers Cara he'll deal with the consequences. There will be no bloodshed under my roof tonight, okay? If you want to maul each other, it doesn't happen in my house."

The boys were quiet but continued to glare at each other. Time to break this silence.

"Dean, I think it would be best if you went home right now, I'll walk you out to your car."

Dean stood up to leave, Gerard and Lindsey standing up either to say goodbye to him or make sure that he doesn't snap at Alex. Or both.

"It was lovely having dinner with you, we should do it again soon," Lindsey said sweetly, breaking the tension as she leaned in to give Dean a hug goodbye. He accepted the hug and held his hand out for Gerard to shake.

"Tonight was great, thank you for having me," he said politely. I knew that he was really layering on the politeness to cover his anger right now; everybody in the room knew that it was forced.

"Take care, Dean," Gerard said as I escorted him out the door.

As Ishut the door behind us I buried my face in my hands. This entire night was horrible and humiliating and I wished it had never happened. The entire situation was so fucked up I began to stress out and didn't even notice I was crying until Dean pulled my hands away from my face and consoled me.

"Hey, it's okay, you don't need to cry over it," he said, wiping my tears from my eyes.

"This night just turned so horrible, I just want it to be over but I know it won't be because now I'll have to go back inside and face this mess," I sobbed.

"Forget about it, go back inside and pack a bag and stay the night at mine, you know that my mom won't care, she loves you," Dean suggested.

"Okay, I'll be back out soon." I went back inside and headed to my room to pack a bag, but was stopped in my tracks by Gerard.

"What's wrong? Why are you crying?" he asked worriedly.

"Tonight just turned out horribly so I'm staying at Dean's for the night," I said, going to walk around him to my room, but I was stopped.

"Sorry sweetheart, you stay here tonight. We have a guest at the house now so you'll need to stay here; it would be rude to leave him here with us."

I stopped and looked back at him incredulously. "That guest is the reason why Idon't want to be here. You can't stop me," I went to walk past him again but he caught me by the shoulder.

"May Iremind you that I am your father and until you finish school and move out from under my roof you will do as I say?" he warned.

"Do Ilook like I give a fuck right now?" I shouted at him, my temper flaring.

"You watch your mouth young lady, you're not too old for me to ground you," he shouted back at me.

"See if I fucking care, you made my life hell for the first seventeen years so another month won't do anything," I yelled at him before turning and stomping off towards my bedroom. I locked my door and sent Dean a text before filling a bag with clothes.

Meet me down the street in ten minutes xx

I heard Gerard and Lindsey's muffled voices pass by my bedroom and continue down the hallway to their bedroom. I slowly slid my window open and lowered my bag to the ground outside, shimmying myself out the window and ducking to the ground. I army crawled my way to the front of the house then stood up and started running down the street to where I could see Dean's car parked. As soon as Igot close enough he started the engine and as soon as my door was shut he took off down the street.

Before either of us could say anything, my phone began buzzing with a phone call from Gerard. I hit 'ignore' and turned my phone off to avoid any more calls.

"So do Gerard and Lindsey know you're staying at mine?" Dean asked warily.

"If they didn't before they do now," I said, cutting off conversation. My argument with Gerard had put me in a shitty mood that no-one could fix. I'd dealt him alow blow, basically calling him a horrible father, but I'd apologise later once we'd both cooled off.

We pulled up to Dean's place and Beverley was standing at the doorway with her arms crossed and her phone in her hand. I hadn't seen this coming.

"Cara, I just got a call from your father asking if you were around here, he's worried sick about you," she fretted.

"I needed to get out of that house, tonight was absolutely awful," I said sullenly. Her demeanour softened.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, there's just a lot of tension in the house right now. I had an unexpected guest turn up and now he's apparently living in my house."

"Yeah and it doesn't help that the guy's an absolute asshole either," said Dean bitterly.

"That's no good, but I'm sorry Cara, I can't let you stay here tonight. I don't want to disrespect your father; if he sys you're not allowed to come over here then I'm afraid I have to respect his wishes. I'm sorry dear," Beverley said sympathetically.

I raked my hand through my hair, thinking of somewhere I could stay that was nearby...

"It's okay Bev, I know someone I can stay with for the night. Thank you for the ride Dean, I'll see you Monday?" I said to him. He nodded and leaned in for a kiss.

"Be safe walking these streets at night, I'll see you Monday." He pulled me tight in a hug and released me, then turned and closed the door.

I got halfway down his street before it began teeming with rain. Of course it always had to rain when I didn't have an umbrella.

It was growing late and I was beginning to panic about people out on the streets at this late hour, especially in a neighbourhood I didn't know very well, when I found the house I was looking for.

I walked up to the door and knocked, hearing footsteps hurrying towards the door. It swung open and I was greeted with a familiar face.

"Hi Frank, can I come inside?"

It's a bit short, I know, but I'm hoping that this will satisfy you for a little while J MichiamoNicola xx

Sign up to rate and review this story