Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Shells & Secrets

First chapter.

by NotKissingYouGoodBye 2 reviews

Gerard didn’t want to forget the past, he didn’t want to start new. How could his father even possibly say that he wants to forget the past?

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2013-03-13 - Updated: 2013-03-15 - 2749 words

0Unrated
“Dad, I’m tired.” Mikey drags out each word as he whines from the back seat. Gerard rolls his eyes at the younger boy then checks to see if his iPod is still dead…yep. Sadly it hasn’t magically charged itself back to life.

“Fuck my life.” Gerard mumbles under his breathe quietly as he pulls against the seat belt that felt too tight, restraining him with force to go where ever the rental car he’s currently in went. He rests his head on the window, closing his eyes to block out the bright sun.

“Mikey it’s not that much further. Please keep the whining to a minimum, ok?” their father says in a raspy and tired voice over his shoulder from the driver seat keeping his eyes fixed on the road as he concentrated driving on the left side of the road other than the right side which he had been taught to do.

“You haven’t stopped since we got off the plane.” He then mutters under his breath to himself. Mikey just rolls his eyes dramatically and crosses his arms over his small torso.

“Either get me coffee or find me a bed to sleep in.” He glares at the back of his dads head like he was trying to read his thoughts or bust him into flames, Gerard was hoping for the second one. Gerard and his father weren’t getting along very well lately.

“Mikey I’ve told you before that you need to cut back on the coffee intake, it’s not good for you.” He sighs and concentrates on the road. There are a few moments of silence as the youngest Way glares out the window with a disgusted look on his face. Gerard nearly falls asleep against the window as Don, there father, tries to figure out where the hell they are going by taping on the GPS to encourage it to work like it was some kind of house pet. Mikey gets bored of death staring the scenery and decides to annoy his brother instead.

“GERARD!” He yells at the top of his lungs out of the blue with no warning, not even a deep breathe in. Gerard hits his head against the window hard as he snap opens his eyes. The car swerves to the side when Don flinched at the volume of his younger son’s voice.

“MIKEY!” Both Gerard and their father snap at the younger Way who nearly just cased a car crash. Mikey sits there with wide and innocent looking eyes.

“What?” he asks sweetly. Gerard reaches over and hits his brother on the shoulder.

“Ouch! What was that for?” Mikey complains as he rubs his shoulder over dramatically.

“For been a pain in the ass!” Gerard snaps, he was so not in the mood for his brothers antics. Mikey knew he should quit but he didn’t, he was bored and restless and his iPod also die on the plane.

“I was just checking to see if you were still alive, sorry for caring if you’re dead or not.” The youngest huffs then sneers out the window. When Gerard didn’t retaliate he turned around to face his older brother who was resting against the window again trying to sleep. Mikey smirks an evil grin then pokes him hard in the ribs.

“MIKEY YOU MOTHERFUCKER!” Gerard screams causing the car to swerve again. He then slaps his younger bother up the back of the head, it wasn’t a painful blow just a warning shot.

“GOD DAM IT BOYS! ARE YOU GUYS TRYING TO KILL US ALL?” Don yells in frustration.

“Mikey is been a pain in the ass!” Gerard growls crossing his arms over his chest defensively.

“Gerard is been a misery guts!” Mikey cuts in with a put on voice.

“I AM NOT!”

“YOU ARE TOO!”

“BOYS! Were almost home so can you please-“

“THIS IS NOT HOME!” Gerard yells out suddenly cutting into the sentence he will not let be finished as he abandons his childish argument with his brother to start a new serious one with his father. Mikey instantly shuts up and knows to stay out of this fight as the tension in the car becomes overwhelmingly thick.

“Gerard, please…this is home now.” Don pleadingly states, everyone is tied and cranky, he doesn’t want things to be said that are not meant.

“I DON’T EVEN WANNA FUCKING BE HERE! NEW JERSEY IS OUR HOME!” Gerard snaps as he tugs at the seatbelt again, he’s restless and wants out of the car, now. He contemplates rolling down the window and jumping out just to get away from his family.

“Gerard don’t start this again.” Mr Way sighs, he hates seeing his son upset.

“BUT IT’S NOT FAIR!” the older sibling yells. Mikey watches soundlessly, there is nothing he can do to stop the fighting other than let it play out.

“Gerard you’ve had eight months to get use to this. It’s not like we just sprang it on you out of nowhere.” Their father sighs and grips the steering wheel as he keeps his composer.

“Why couldn’t the slut just move to NJ instead of us moving away from everything and everyone?” Gerard lowers his voice and slumps into his seat.

“Gerard! Don’t call Kimberly that!” Don snaps.

“You’re not even listening to me!” Gerard fires up again as he glares at the back of his father’s head.

“Gerard I’ve been listening. I know that you didn’t want to leave behind your friends, school, job and other things but this is for the best.” Don really dose think he’s doing the right thing, back in NJ was painful memories and he just wanted to protect his family from them.

“HOW!? How is this for the fucking best? Pleases fucking enlighten me how ripping Mikey and me away from everything we know is for the fucking best?” Gerard had tried to see things through his father’s eyes but nothing made sense, he just thought his father was running away and dragging his children through the mud on his way.

Mikey held his gaze on the floor and squeezed his hands into fists. He didn’t wanna watch his brother and dad fight, it’s depressing and feels like the world is crushing down. Gerard was beginning to swear nearly every line like he always dose when he’s serious or passionate about his point.

“I was losing my job, the business was foreclosing. The house was falling apart. You boys were getting bullied at that school, don’t try to denied it, I got phone calls. It’s unsafe in NJ. Here you get to go to a new school make new friends. You can get another job. Here there are beaches, sun, surf and sand. Here we all get to start a new, forget the past and start fresh. Plus I’m in love with Kimberly and we’re getting married.”

Gerard nearly tears his hair out and wants to scream till his lungs bleed. Why doesn’t his father understand? The house wasn’t falling apart. Sure he and Mikey got picked on at school but it was nothing bad, just a few name calling here and there, maybe a small shove every now and again but they had their friends for back up and support, here they had no one. Crime is everywhere in the world, no matter where you go you’re going to find killers, robbers, drug gangs etc. The Way brothers didn’t want to make new friends. They liked the ones they had in NJ. Gerard was pretty sure that they didn’t have a comic book store in this stupid town, he like his co-workers, the boss was awesome and the pay was pretty good too.

Gerard didn’t want to forget the past, he didn’t want to start new. How could his father even possibly say that he wants to forget the past? Gerard was about to go round two with his father when he notice his brother’s grim expression and cringed with guilt. He knows Mikey hates conflict, especially when it’s between family. Gerard took a deep breath and toned down the volume dramatically for his younger brother’s sake.


“I don’t like beaches.” He states calmly as he glared out the car window. His father just sighs from the driver’s seat as he pulled up a drive way of a two story beach house. He was relived for the car ride to be over. All three remain unmoving in the car for a minute or two to take a breather.

“Gerard,” Don softly broke the silence as he pleaded with his eldest son “Just give it a chance. I know you’re unhappy about the situation but you can’t change it…sorry for been blunt.” Don says as he switches the engine off. Gerard refuses to even look at his father as he turns to look at his boys in the back seats. Mikey looks at his hands awkwardly as they rest on his knees in front of him while Gerard stars out the glass. Don looks at Mikey with sad eyes, he knows that his boys didn’t want to leave but things were going to get better, they had to…they couldn’t get much worse right?

Mikey didn’t want to leave as much as Gerard, he just wasn’t as vocal about it and rolled with the punches. When Gerard suggested that just their father leave and he would stay Mikey knows he would have stayed too by his brother’s side, but cost made that option impractical plus Don wouldn’t be able to ever leave his boys behind. They all knew they had to stick together, even Gerard knew that and that’s why they were in the rental car right at this moment.

“I like Kim.” Mikey timidly whispers under the pressure of the silence. Gerard snaps his head up to face Mikey then narrows his eyes on the younger boy.

“Traitor.” Gerard spits out harshly. Don watches as Mikey’s expression looks heartbroken from his brother’s bitter tone.

“Gerard.” He says, warning him to think about Mikey’s feeling. The two brothers are so close, like best friends, and he’d hate to see that broken. Gerard just stubbornly folds his arms over his chest and huffs, returning his icy glare back out the window.

“Don’t talk to me cause right now…I hate you.” The words dripping with venom fill the car as he hides under his shield of raven hair. He doesn’t hate his father really, deep down he knows that he’s trying to do what’s right but Gerard was too worked up to continue fighting without thinking rationally and the possibility of bring up painful truths. Don doesn’t want to start another fight either so he just simply sighs sadly and offer his Youngest a reassuring smile.

“I’m going to see if Kim is home yet.” He softly mentions as he steps out the car door. Mikey turns and gently places a hand on his older brother’s tense shoulder to let him know he’s not alone and that he is always going to be on his side. He knows and understands this is really tearing Gerard apart on the inside. He knows Gee doesn’t like dramatic changes. Gerard’s bitterness is not because of the obvious.

“Gee…I’m sorry.” Mikey whispers referring to the mention of liking Kim.

“It’s ok.” The elder relaxes and releases a deep breath.

“Things will get better. We can always go back and visit-”

“Mikey it’s not the same and you know it.” He cuts his younger brother off then sighs.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” He looks up at the skinny kid then unbuckles his seat belt.

“Ok, sorry Gee.” Mikey softly speaks as he undoes his belt as well.

“It’s ok Mikey, come on let’s get out of this stinking hot car.” He tries on a fake smile for his brother’s benefit even tho they both know it’s not real.

Both boys stumble out of the rental car they were using until they bought a new one and sloppily stretch their sleeping muscles, Gerard mumbles under his breath about the sun been too bright here as Mikey tries (and fails) to touch his convers covered toes after walking around to his side of the car. Gerard glances at this brother fail attempt at flexibility and softly smiles for real. Gerard always knows he can turn to his brother to make things seem not so bad. Mikey catches his brother’s smirk and smiles too. Mikey stands back up straight and is engulfed in a strong brotherly hug from Gerard. It’s reassuring and heartwarming, reminding both that they have each other through thick and thin, the good and bad.

The brothers broke apart just before Kim and their father walk out the front door of the off white house that was their new home. Kim beamed brightly at the two boys and opens her arms widely.

“G’day boys! “ She hugs Mikey and Gerard both tightly together. Kim was nice and everything, Gerard just has harsh feeing towards her because she’s marring his dad and she doesn’t live in NJ. Mikey greeted Kim warmly while Gerard just grumbled. Kim released the American boys from her strong grip and placed her hands on her hips as Don hugged her from behind. Mikey smiled at how happy their father looked as Gerard looked away rolling his eyes.

“You’re gonna love it here, we got surf, sun and sand.” Kim exclaimed joyfully. She was really excited to have the boys stay and wanted them to be as happy just as much as their father did. She’d been cleaning for days getting everything ready. She rang the school and had them enrolled she’d cleared out the spare rooms and had them all ready for painting if they wanted to change the color. She even went shopping and bought their favorite food and been jumping around telling everyone she knows about her soon-to-be family and how they were coming to live with her. Kim knows and understands Gerard is not too pleased about the situation. She also understands that he’s going to be a bit cold towards her for a while but she hopes that eventually they can be friends.

“I’m here to help out with anything you want. The house is yours too so you can go anywhere you want and eat anything in the kitchen.” Mikey nodded while Gerard played the perfect cliché of an unenthusiastic grumpy teenager. Don frowned at the teen but remained quiet. Kim was a little disheartened but tried to remain positive.

“The main street is only a few streets away and the beach is just down the road, I love the beach it’s so beautiful! Do you boys like the beach?” Kim asked kindly. Mikey shrugged his shoulder.

“I’ve only ever been to one once and that was years ago with…” He stopped mid-sentence and Gerard cringed. Gee shook his head trying to forget the past that they had now left in NJ. Mikey looked to his shoes as Don held onto Kim just that little bit tighter than before. Kim’s expression turned sad as everyone went quiet. Gerard couldn’t stand it anymore, his anger from the car ride rising back to life inside him, he spun on his heels and started walking down the road before he started yelling and screaming at the people around him.

“Gerard! Come back here please!” Don called out but his words only feel on deaf ears as Gerard ignored him and continued marching away with his head down.

“GERARD WAY!” Gerard spun around as he glared heartlessly at his family and soon-to-be family. He lost all composer.

“NO! I FUCKING HATE SWIMMING, I HATE THE FUCKING SUN AND I MOTHERFUCKING HATE THE STUPID SAND!” he screamed on the brink of tears but luckily he was too far way for anyone to see.

“I FUCKING HATE AUSTRALIA!!!” Gerard yelled as he continued walking down the road alone.
Sign up to rate and review this story