Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Way Home

I Was Strong

by carmen 3 reviews

The talisman is placed with Gerard.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2013-04-12 - 3501 words

5Moving
Ayasha pulled into a parking space then got out of the car while reminding herself to remain calm. They had agreed to take her to Gerard with the talisman so she must keep her emotions in check. She was surprised when she saw only Alicia get out of their car.

“Follow me.” Alicia said nodding towards the buildings entrance. It wasn’t until they were inside she added, “Uh, Mikey hasn’t been back here since the night he found Gerard.”

“I understand.” Ayasha said softy. “I know how difficult this is for him.”

As the plush elevator rose Alicia spoke again. “It really is. He wants to believe this will help Gerard but he’s afraid…”

“Afraid to believe.” Ayasha finished the sentence for her.

Alicia looked over at her. “Yeah, exactly. He and Gee have always been so close.”

“The love I heard in Gerard’s voice when he spoke of his brother was undeniable.”

As tempted as she was to confide in this woman Alicia reminded herself she really didn’t know her. The elevator door opened. “This way.”

Ayasha followed her down the carpeted hallway. When they reached the door she took a deep breath as Alicia fumbled with the keys. It was difficult to remain unaffected; this was the last place Gerard had been before the coma had claimed him.

Alicia unlocked the door then pushed it open. Immediately both women saw a large potted plant that was lying overturned. “Mikey said the paramedics knocked some stuff over when they took Gee out on the gurney.”

It was impossible for Ayasha not to bend down and right the plant. “It needs to be watered.” She said sadly, it was dying.

“Gee has someone who takes care of shit like that. But Mikey hasn’t allowed anyone in here since it happened.” She sighed, “Uh, his bedroom is this way.”

Ayasha sucked in her breath as she walked into the room, her eyes were immediately drawn to the dresser and the havoc Gerard had left in his rage. However, when she spotted the wooden box laying open all thoughts returned to the task at hand. She slowly crossed the room and there lying amongst the mess was the talisman her grandmother had created. Memories flooded her mind seeing it once again. Lovingly she lifted the necklace, “This is it.”

Alicia was staring not at the necklace but at Ayasha. There was something about this woman that confused her. “How well do you really know Gerard?”

The question caught Ayasha off guard. “I’ve told you about our meetings.”

What she saw in Ayasha’s eyes confused her even more but now was not the time to dwell on it. She looked down at the necklace in Ayasha’s hands. “It’s really very beautiful.”

“Many hours of labor go into making a talisman.”

Knowing Mikey would be growing nervous Alicia nodded, “We better go.”

It wasn’t until they were in the elevator again Alicia couldn’t prevent herself from asking, “Ayasha, you didn’t make the talisman, did you?”

It was a relief she didn’t have to lie. “No” She answered then added “Of course not.”

Alicia was again searching the other woman’s eyes. Finally she nodded, “I don’t know why I asked that, I don’t want you to think I don’t believe what you’ve told us.”

“I understand it is difficult to trust a complete stranger especially at such a difficult time.” Ayasha said softly while looking down at the necklace in her hands.

“Can I hold it?” Alicia suddenly asked at the elevator continued its descent.

Ayasha handed it to her watching the woman’s reaction.

Gently Alicia ran her fingertip over the etching of the cedar branch. “I’m sure it takes hours of labor but I can’t help but feel it’s a labor of love.”

Now it was Ayasha who found herself wishing she could open up and reveal the truth. For reasons she didn’t understand she felt a closeness to the younger woman. “You are very wise for someone so young.” She finally said as Alicia handed the necklace back.

Alicia looked surprised yet pleased, “Oh, thanks. But I’m really not all that young.” She glanced into Ayasha’s face, “Pretty sure I’m not that much younger than you.”

“I am thirty” Ayasha said answering the unspoken question.

“See, not all that much older than me and yet you seem so mature guess it’s because you’re a Medicine Woman.”

It hurt that Alicia had to believe that lie. “My grandmother was a very powerful and revered Medicine Woman.” Ayasha said surprising herself, she hadn’t intended on bring her grandmother in to this.

“Is your mom?”

The innocent question caused sadness to wash over her. “My mother died when I was very young.”

“Oh, sorry.” Alicia muttered as the elevator doors slid open. As they walked back into the parking lot she explained, “The hospital is about twenty minutes away.”

“I will follow.” Ayasha nodded then walked to her rented car.

“Guess that was the necklace she was carrying.” Mikey said as his wife slid into her seat.

“Yeah, we got it.”

Mikey started the engine then looked over at her, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothings wrong.” Alicia said slowly giving herself time to think. “I like her.”

He sighed, “You just met her, you don’t know her.”

“Look, I know you think I trust too easily but there is something about her…” She thought a moment, “Her concern for Gerard seems so deep, so personal.”

Mikey glanced over at her then quickly returned his attention to the road, “You think she’s not telling us something?”

The last thing Alicia wanted was for Mikey to start doubting the decision they’d made. “No, I don’t think so. Maybe it’s just because she seems focused on helping him.” A few minutes passed then she added, “But she does seem to have a sadness about her.”

“I didn’t notice it.”

“It’s in her eyes.” Alicia said softly, “And I really feel bad because she told me her grandmother was a revered Medicine Woman and I asked if her mother was too.”

“So?”

“She told me her mother died when she was very young.”

“Oh.” Mikey said realizing why his wife was upset. “Well you didn’t know.”

Alicia sat back in her seat letting her mind return to the talisman. She tried to convince herself not to get her hopes up that it would help Gerard but something inside her did believe it would. A small voice in the back of her mind was telling her to believe.


Ayasha had chanted softly in Cherokee while driving and now as she pulled into the hospital parking lot her mind was much calmer. She was ready to do what was necessary.

She was getting out of the car when Alicia joined her.

“When you place the talisman with Gee and say the prayers would you like to be alone with him?”

“Yes, that would be best.” Ayasha answered. The truth was she had almost feared to hope they would allow her to see Gerard alone. What she must do would be emotional and even though she believed she would not break down, show any emotion, she truly didn’t know how she would react seeing him laying in a coma.

Alicia nodded, “I’ll make sure of it.” By this time they’d reached Mikey who was waiting by the entrance.

No one spoke until they reached the floor where Gerard’s room was located.

“Take Ayasha to the waiting room.” Mikey said looking over at his wife. “I’m gonna talk to dad.”

Mikey watched the two women walk away then turned to walk down the hallway. His father was just coming out of Gerard’s room.

“Son, there is a doctor waiting to talk to us.”

Immediately Mikey’s heart began to race, “Why, what’s wrong?”

“He wants to discuss the results of the latest tests.”

“Oh” Mikey could tell his father was holding something back. “Uh, I’ll tell Alicia.”

“Who’s that with her?” Don asked glancing down the hallway towards the waiting room.

Mikey was again regretting his decision to allow Ayasha to see Gerard. “Uh, Alicia’s friend.” He said quickly turning to head to follow his fathers gaze. “I’ll go tell her what’ going on.”

Alicia saw her husband motion for her to join him in the hallway.

“Dad and I have to talk to the doctor.” He explained in a hushed tone.

She could tell by the look on his face something was wrong. “Why?”

“Don’t know.” He said shaking his head, “Something about a test they ran.”

“Okay, while you do that I’ll take Ayasha in to see Gerard.”

Mikey sighed, “Are you sure we should do this?”

Alicia nodded, “Yeah, I really am. I’ll stay with her.” She planned on remaining in the hallway outside Gerard’s room but Mikey didn’t need to know that.

Mikey glanced into the waiting room where Ayasha sat staring at the talisman in her hands. “Yeah, okay.” He said slowly. “But I’m not gonna tell Dad what’s going on. I told him she’s a friend of yours.”

“Okay.” Alicia said softly, “I understand.” She watched Mikey walk back down the hallway to where his dad stood waiting. Once the two men had entered an office further down the hall she turned to Ayasha, “I’ll take you to Gee now.”

“Thank you.” Ayasha said rising to her feet, her heart and mind now calm and focused.

When they reached Gerard’s room Alicia explained that she’d wait outside. Ayasha nodded then walked into the room. Her heart began to race as she neared the bed. Looking at the man she’d fallen in love with laying there lifeless was harder than she’d ever imagined. “Oh” She whispered. “Oh, Gee.”

Moving closer to the bed she reminded herself that Alicia was just outside the door. She must remain calm, she must be strong. A jolt coursed through her body when she touched his hand. For a moment she closed her eyes as she gently caressed his skin. Suddenly she heard her mothers voice, she heard her mother telling her to be tsu li tisv ya s di.

“I am brave.” She whispered in Cherokee blinking away her tears. Gently she opened Gerard’s hand then placed the antler pendant in his palm. She loosely wrapped the leather straps around his hand. Talking a deep breath she began to pray in Cherokee.

Outside in the hallway Alicia was standing near the doorway listening. For some reason she’d expected the prayer to sound like a chant but what she heard totally surprised her. While she didn’t understand the words it was the emotion she heard that caused tears to come to her eyes.

For several minutes Ayasha continued to pour out the deep felt words in the language of her heart and mind, Cherokee. When at last her heart was empty she looked at Gerard’s face. Still speaking in Cherokee she said softly. “I will always love you, I will never forget our love but I know I must say goodbye. It is time for you to return to your life.” A single tear rolled down her cheek, it landed on his hand.

___________________________________________________________
In the darkness there was a flash of light, a glimmer of hope
______________________________________________________________

Ayasha released his hand then stood back. She took one last look then quickly wiped her cheek. “I love you.” She whispered then turned away.

Reaching the door she saw Alicia was standing down the hallway staring out a window. Knowing her emotions were too close to the surface she fled towards the elevators.

“Ayasha”

Pushing the button Ayasha took a deep breath then turned, “I must go now.”

“You’re leaving?”

“I have done for him all I can. Now he must use the strength of the talisman to find his way out of the darkness.”

“But will he?”

Her body was beginning to tremble, she needed to go. “Yes, he will.” She said believing that statement with every fiber of her being.

“Thank you.” Alicia said reaching out to touch Ayasha’s arm.

That simple thank you that spoke of her belief in Ayasha touched her deeply. “Thank you for allowing me to do this.” She suddenly remembered the talisman she had created. “I have something for you.”

Alicia’s eyes grew wide when Ayasha reached into her bag then extended something towards her.

“This is for you.” Ayasha said softly, “It will protect both of you.”

“Both?”

Ayasha looked deeply into her eyes, “Yes” She whispered. “Both.”

Alicia was rocked by the realization, “You know I’m pregnant”

“This talisman will keep you both healthy.”

“But.” Alicia sputtered, “How did you know?”

“Take care.” Ayasha said as the elevator door slid open.

“Wait.”

Ayasha held the door with one hand while looking at her.

“Do you know if the baby is a boy or a girl?”

Her first response was regret; regret the woman standing beside her didn’t know the truth about how she’d learned of the pregnancy but that feeling suddenly changed. Yes, it was true Gerard had told her but now looking into Alicia’s eyes she suddenly knew in her heart the answer. “Yes, would you like to know?”

Alicia was conflicted but made her decision, “Yes”

Taking a step inside the elevator Ayasha smiled then before the door slid closed she answered the question.


For several moments Alicia stood rooted in place. While she couldn’t understand why, she knew in her heart what Ayasha had revealed to her was the truth. Automatically she placed her arms over her abdomen in love for the child growing within. Then she slowly turned and made her way back towards Gerard’s room.

The first thing she noticed was the talisman still placed in his hand. She would leave it there for now and hoped Mikey would agree with her decision. Slowly she lowered herself into to the chair beside the bed to wait until Mikey and Don returned. As the minutes ticked by she reverently touched the crystals on the leather bracelet Ayasha had given her and felt an inner strength. Carefully she placed the bracelet around her wrist securing it in place.

______________________________________________

The darkness was lifting and as it did he saw he was standing at the crossroads. Suddenly a blinding light made him blink rapidly.
___________________________________________________

Alicia was staring at the bracelet not watching her brother-in-law.

_____________________________________________________
The heat from the overhead sun hurt his skin, it burned. Underfoot the dusty ground began to swirl, the wind roared in his ears. He knew it was his time to make the choice and yet he faltered. In his mind he cried out, “I love her, my heart will never forget” Then slowly he turned knowing instinctively which way to go, he was returning home. As he took a step his mind was wiped clean.
______________________________________________________

A sudden movement out of the corner of her eyes caused Alicia to look up. She saw Gerard’s hand, the one still holding the talisman, twitch. Her heart began to race as she stood.

As he walked the road back the wind howled, the dust blinding him. He blinked.

“Gee?” Alicia was now looking at his face.

He blinked again and again

“Oh God.” Alicia cried, “Gee, can you hear me?”

A voice, he heard a voice calling to him. Now she started to run. Then suddenly he felt himself being lifted by the wind. Taken from this place by a force so strong it caused his heart to race.

Alicia saw his heart monitor and was frightened. She was about to hit the call button when his eyes opened.

“Gee.” Tears began to fall from her eyes when she saw his eyes slowly focus on her. “Can you hear me?” She asked again.

It took all of his strength to barely nod.

“Oh God, oh God.” Alicia reached out to touch his cheek. “You’re awake.”

His mind was confused, his eyes drifted closed.

Alicia was afraid, she screamed his name again.

Mikey and Don who were nearing the room heard her scream. Mikey ran ahead but when he saw his wife leaning over the bed crying his heart stopped.

Alicia looked up at him. Through her tears she chocked out, “He opened his eyes”

Fear made Mikey refused to hope, “Honey, that don’t mean he’s out of the coma.”

“But he knew me. I asked him if he could hear me and he nodded.”

Don walked towards Gerard’s bedside. Reaching out he gently touched his son’s cheek. “Gerard, son wake up. We are here waiting.”

They all held their breath until Gerard’s eyes fluttered open.

The road to recover would be long but he’d found his way home.

______________________________________________________________

It was nearly midnight when Ayasha pulled up to the curb in front of her home. The long day had taken its toll on her mind and body and she was still upset about the misshape that occurred at the airport in LA. She’d been rushing through the terminal when she’d bumped into another passenger. She’s apologized profusely but the man had been angry. He’d kicked her bag that had landed on the ground spilling the contents. Ayasha had scrambled to pick up her things but it wasn’t until she was on the plane she realized she’d lost her cell phone. She’d tried to remind herself it was a cheap phone, one which used prepaid minutes but yet deep in her heart she knew why she was upset. That phone contained Mikey’s number. She never planned on using that number again but if he had wanted to call her…” Ayasha sighed, knowing she shouldn’t think that way. She had completed what she’d set out to do, it was over. Her mind was numb as she lifted her bag from the seat beside her then stumbled towards her front door.

It wasn’t until she realized there was no need for the key in her hand that her mind snapped back to life.

Taking a step inside the door she heard something crunch under her feet. Fear told her to turn and flee but she refused. When she flipped on the lights the sight before her eyes was brutal. Not one piece of furniture, not one lamp or picture had been left untouched.

“Oh” She cried out. “No.”

Her eyes went to the painting of the crossroads now laying slashed on the floor. “No.” She whispered.

Standing in a daze she turned slowly surveying the damage. Her mother’s portrait too lay in shreds. Her heart was breaking yet she refused to cry. She knew without a doubt Kyle was behind this but there was no anger in her heart, only sadness. She pushed the door closed never even considering someone could still be inside her home. To her it didn’t matter, all that she loved lay in ruins.

It wasn’t until she spotted her desk her heart began to race. Glass crunched under her feet as she moved in slow motion. A single tear escaped her eye as she spotted what was left of the letters Gerard had written. The paper now shredded beyond recognition then scattered among the remains of the pages of her books. The promise she had made to Gerard could never be fulfilled.

Ayasha fell to her knees not feeling the glass from a lamp tearing into her skin. She reached out to pick up a small torn piece of an envelope and when she saw Gerard’s handwriting another tear rolled down her cheek. “This was mean to be.” She whispered brokenly, “He was never meant to remember.”

Forcing herself to stand she knew her mind was shutting down. She stumbled towards her bedroom. When she flipped on the light her mind didn’t even acknowledge the carnage. She didn’t see the overturned chest of drawers, the broken glass of her dresser mirror, all she saw was the bed. The bed, the last place Gerard had been in her home, the last place they’d made love.

Stripping off her clothing, still believing she was being brave, she slipped beneath the covers. There she hugged the pillow where his head had rested. A trace of his scent still lingered in she sheets. She wanted to cry for all she’d lost but her eyes remained dry, she would shed no more tears.

“He has returned home.” She whispered knowing in her heart she spoke the truth. “I was strong for him.” Her eyes closed as the darkness claimed her.
Sign up to rate and review this story