Categories > Original > Fantasy > A Tale of Shadows

An Explanation of Magic

by Tall_Tales 0 reviews

All you probably don't want or need to know about the use of Magic in the world of A Tale of Shadows.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2013-05-01 - 308 words

0Unrated
First, it should be noted that magic can only be used by those gifted with the ability to focus the energy inside themselves towards a purpose. These people are what we call mages. For the most part, being a mage runs along bloodlines. This is why the people of Oran have such a high propensity towards being a mage, as the magic families have gathered together for centuries in order to perfect their craft.

When asked whether or not a mage requires the use of runes to power their magic, the simple answer is 'no'. The more complicated answer is more along the lines of 'no, but they are useful.'

You see, the specific shape of each of the five major runes are conducive to magic. They improve the flow of the energy from the mage into the object or surroundings, but it is possible to achieve the same effect without them (though it becomes more difficult).

Further, the closer the runes are to the mage, the more conducive they are to the mages power. Merely being written by the mage greatly improves their utility, while being written in, for example, the blood of the mage, is even more potent.

The five major runes are as follows:

Isatum, Fire
Mu, Water
Im, Air
Ki, Earth
and Enu, Change.


Soul Binding

A forbidden art by which mystic runes are inscribed upon the skin of the chosen to draw forth their 'soul' as magical energy. This process is dangerous and unstable, with only a handful of known successes throughout all of it's history, though each success is marked by bloodshed and death. As it uses the life of the inscribed as energy, it vastly reduces their lifespan. It is currently a practice only found in Oran, though there are hermetic practitioners found all throughout the lands of the empire.
Sign up to rate and review this story