Categories > Original > Poetry > The story of Chris.

2: Welcome to New York

by Iamnobody 0 reviews

Category: Poetry - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2013-06-12 - 481 words

0Unrated
The name rang a bell. New York...New York... he played the words over and over again in his head. Am I supposed to be here, in this "New York"? He realized that the thing was looking at him, as if waiting for some sort of response. "Ah, of course, New York. How could I forget?" Chris quickly said, and then added a small chuckle just to make it seem a little more bona fide.

The thing made a giggle. "My name is Claira. You don't seem to be from here." "I'm not," Chris answered. "Honestly, I don't even remember how I got here. I woke up this morning, and I was on something hard and brown, surrounded by a green ground with....the patterns on your...thing."
It looked at him, and again it laughed. "Well", it said, "It sounds to me like somebody's been having a little too much fun at night. I think you're talking about a park. With flowers."

Flowers. Yes, flowers, he'd heard of that. "Flowers...yes...they smell good. And the green....grass?" Of course it was grass, he knew what grass was. He'd heard of it so many times before. He started thinking of other words he knew about this place. Sky, water, bugs, people....PEOPLE! That's what this thing is, it's a people...person in single tense.

The person was gawking at him, obviously he must've looked very staring at it like that. "Yes...flowers.", was all he could get out. "Maybe you should sit down, you don't seem alright.", it said to him. Chris sat down on the ground. "Hard", he whispered. "Well it is concrete, sir.", it said, "Sir, do you have a name at all?"

"Chris", he mouthed to her. Louder he said, "My name is Chris."

"Well, Chris" it said, "you look like hell. Wanna join me for a cup of Joe?" "Joe, is that a friend of yours?" Chris stated in wonder. Again, it laughed and grabbed him by the arm, "Come on." it said. Hmm, Chris thought to himself, If I'm going to be here I might as well study these...people. "What is that?", Chris said pointing at one of the towers. It was far off, but obviously very different from the other towers. It looked at him shocked, "Don't you know what the Statue of Liberty is?"

"No. This place is very strange to me, Claira. I don't know who I am, I don't know where I am, and I don't know who or what you are." Chris was very troubled. Claira slowly looked up at him and said "I am Claira, and I waitress. You're Chris, you...do something. And we're both in New York. Do I need to be any slower? I don't appreciate people getting flustered and taking it out on me. I have enough problems, I don't need yelling men too."
Sign up to rate and review this story