Categories > TV > Doctor Who > An Unexpected Journey

Riddle Me This & I'll Riddle You That

by TheDoctorsTARDISXO 0 reviews

More memories, a riddle, a destination. The story is drawing closer and closer to a conclusion!

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-08-13 - 3345 words

0Unrated
The story is getting intense, no? I hope you're all enjoying it, and I hope you review review review!! Doctor Who is owned by Steven Moffat (Who likes to make people jump off buildings i.e Sherlock, The Ponds) and the chaps at the BBC (Who make sure to catch them when they fall) ~XO TheDoctorsTARDISXO

"I'm not going to ask you again nicely, who told you about the prophecy? How did you manage to obtain so many books containing this information?" The Doctor asked the man in the bookstore once more.

This is how it's been since that night in the theater, about two weeks ago. The Doctor, myself, and the Ponds, were on a mission to find who was behind the creation of this prophecy and stop them before they realized that I had regained my memories and thus my Time Lady abilities. We all knew the danger behind this information getting out. The moment any of the Doctor's enemies realized who and what I was would spell disaster for us all. It was a lot of researching and following leads that led us to follow other leads that ultimately lead us to many dead ends. We were now in an intergalactic bookstore on the planet Prime Sigma One. We were following the scent of whispered words around the capital city. The people of this planet were saying, behind fans and gloved hands that the prophecy was to come true on the High Holy Night of Prim which the Doctor explained was the equivalent of the day Christ rose from the dead on Earth. I was a little worried. If the prophecy was to come true by that night then that meant we had less than two weeks to figure out who was behind this, or I was going to kill the Doctor.

If the prophecy was to come to fruition then it would be as I read in the TARDIS library with Amy the previous night: my mind was going to be clouded with hatred of the Doctor to the point that I would be all consumed with his death and demise. I would burn the cosmos to kind him, and once I did I would kill him and show no mercy. I shuddered again at the thought of me killing the Doctor. Since that night in the theater, things have never been better between the Time Lord and I. We never argued, save when I wanted to pilot the TARDIS and he says "Sexy" wouldn't like such a thing. We weren't running off for a quick snog here and there, much to Amy's dismay, but there has been plenty of secret smiles, stolen glances, and hand holding when the Ponds weren't looking. This was partially because we couldn't stand the idea of having to listen to Amy gloat about how she was quite the matchmaker, and partially because we didn't want anyone to know in case there were spies about. But behind the doors of the TARDIS in the safety of the Time Vortex flying around from once place to another, the Doctor and I were free to show our true emotions. To glow as close as we once were and remember the times we had before the Chameleon Arch.

"Doctor, I don't think he knows anything. You can let go of him." Rory interjected, interrupting my train of thought as he tried to pry the Doctor's hands off the poor man's shirt collar. This was going to be the fourth time that the Doctor injured someone whist on this quest for information.

"I will release him once he answers my question!" The Doctor bellowed and Rory flinched, quickly releasing the angry Time Lord. He then shot me a pleading look knowing that lately I was the only one who could get through the Doctor and squash these bouts of anger.

"Doctor, Doctor look at me." I began soothingly trying to make him loosen his grip on the poor bookkeeper. He was beginning to turn an unearthly shade of purple. "This kind gentleman has stated to us already that he doesn't have any more information to give. He's even allowed us to take all the books containing mention of the prophecy to use on our journey. There we go, loosen your grip a little more, perfect."

I turned to the poor bookkeeper and offered him a kind, apologetic smile, "I do apologize for my friend sir. This whole prophecy business just doesn't sit right with him. He finds it unfair that the people of Earth should be used and abused like that. Especially over some idiot Time Lord who no one has seen in Lord knows how many years." Here the Doctor gave me a less than pleasant look, but an elbow to the ribs from Amy told him to keep his mouth shut, "Thank you so much for your patience and these fascinating books." I reached into the pocket of my jumper and retrieved a gold coin which I handed to the man before dragging the Doctor out by his bow tie. Amy and Rory grabbed the books and followed us out.

"That was entirely uncalled for! A few more minutes and I would have broken him, gotten the information that we needed! And you Kayden," The Doctor whined like a five year old and pointed and accusing finger at me, "Idiot Time Lord? And you three accuse me of being childish!"

"Oh hush up you lout!" I hollered back at him feeling yet another migraine creeping on, "He would have been the fourth person you injured in the name of reconnaissance! And you ARE behaving like a child! Just because he had books containing information regarding this prophecy didn't give you the right to nearly strangle him to death!"

Rory looked from the Doctor to my then as stealthily as he could, glanced at his wife out of the corner of his eye. I knew at that moment he thought that Amy and I have been spending too many long nights together in the TARDIS library. She was becoming a bad influence on me, I was beginning to sound more and more like her when I get cross. I even once referred to the Doctor as "Raggedy Man" when I was annoyed that he left Amy, Rory, and I behind in the TARDIS when following a lead. Maybe Rory was right in thinking Amy was a bad influence, but she was now a very dear friend to me, almost like a sister. The Doctor was looking at me now, running a hand through his floppy brown hair in frustration that we have hit yet another dead end in our quest for information. We were nowhere closer to having any answers than we were two weeks ago. He was the most frustrated of the four of us, especially considering he's been searching for answers since that night beneath the Chameleon Arch, four years ago.

"Where to now?" Amy chimed in cutting through the anxiety and frustration of the group.

"Back to the TARDIS," The Doctor sighed, deflated. "Back to the old drawing board I suppose."

Together we made our way through the crowded streets of the capital towards the TARDIS which was hidden beneath a bridge at the city's edge. It was the Doctor's idea; he stated it would be better for now to keep the TARDIS out of sight. It would allow us to move freely though the locations we visited in case there were prying eyes out there watching us. We had easily spread a rumor throughout the galaxy that the Doctor was stepping back, that he's decided to retire from traveling just for a little while. News of the Doctor's "retirement" spread like wildfire just as we hoped it would. It was like all the places we visited now freely gave us any information we wanted, well most of the time, without worry that it was the Doctor and his companions. Too bad that it hadn't necessarily helped us in getting any closer to the answers that we sought. I let out a sigh as we continued towards the TARDIS through the overly crowded streets of the capital. A breeze blew and ruffled my hair, sending shivers down my spine, and gooseflesh across my arms.

"Kayden." I heard my name whispered on the breeze and spun on my heel expecting to see someone behind me but there was no one paying any attention to me. I shrugged and tried to ignore the prickling feeling on the back of my neck. "Kayden, we're coming for you. Soon, soon you shall be ours once again." I spun around once again, and once again there was no one speaking to me. It was safe to say I was entirely frightened now.

"Kayden? What is it? You okay?" I heard Amy ask me and shrieked when she laid her hand upon my shoulder. "My God you look as if you've seen a ghost."

I placed a hand on my chest in an attempt to slow my galloping hearts. "You didn't hear that? Tell me you heard that."

"Heard what?" Amy implored.

"Something, something just said my name. You didn't hear it? Someone or something just said that they were coming for me." I responded my voice quavering with fear.

"I didn't hear anything. Come on then let's get you back to the TARDIS, yeah?" Amy insisted as she led me quick as you like through the streets until we were safely behind the TARDIS doors.

I took the books that both Amy and Rory held and rushed to the library. I needed to escape and get away, you know clear my head. I headed out of the console room down the corridor towards the library I caught mummers of Amy filling the Doctor and Rory in on what happened in the capitol. I know that I'm not going crazy; I honestly did hear someone call out to me. There was no way that it was my mind playing tricks on me, not about something like this. Once inside the library I busied myself with the books from the Shoppe, I highlighted, took notes, marked pages and passages, and surprised myself when I found that some of the books I read were actually in different ancient and alien languages. I guess I still am not used to being a Time Lady, able to understand so many vastly complicated things. Who knows how many hours I spent pouring over the pages of these books over and over again, willing them to make sense to me. Neither the Doctor nor Amy and Rory disturbed me, but instead left me alone sensing that I needed space to make sense of everything, including me own thoughts. After a while I gave up on searching, and with a sigh closed yet another book of text that led me nowhere. I leaned back against the plush wing-back chair and closed my eyes, allowing my mind to wander. It was no surprise to me that my mind led me to remember my time with the previous incarnation of the Doctor.

The Doctor had decided to take me to an intergalactic market, stating it would be beneficial for me to learn about all other alien life. He was right, I've never dreamed of seeing all of these strange and wonderful creatures, could not even believe that they were real. Traveling with the Doctor still felt like a dream to me, well most of the time. When we were being chased by Cybermen or shot at by Daleks that's when it all became painfully real and clear to me that this was no dream. But here, in an alien market on a distant alien planet, billions and billions of years into the future (I couldn't help but think of myself back on Earth dust in the ground. I expressed that to the Doctor once and he just lamented about me being one of "those types") it all felt so surreal and dreamlike to me. I wandered the market alone, the Doctor had told me to stay put that he was just popping into the TARDIS for some money. (Like I would listen?), and came across the most exquisite fortune tellers table ever, complete with crystal ball (or whatever other life forms referred to it as) and tarot cards (see those I knew).

"Ah, hello there dear child, daughter of Earth," The fortune teller greeted me warmly. I ignored the prickly feeling on the back of my neck about him knowing I was from Earth, "Fancy your fortune told?"

"I would love to, but I haven't any money. My friend went back to the TAR-er ,um, our ship for some." I stammered out getting a feeling of the heebie jeebies from this guy.

"Have a seat dearest one, I shall tell you your fortune for free. Please, do sit down now. I don't bite." The fortune teller said with a chuckle revealing very sharp teeth.

I did as he commanded, and sat on the cushion on the opposite side of the crystal ball. I had to bite my lip to keep from snorting at how cheesy this whole thing felt; well it was cheesy until the prickly feeling returned. I studied the fortune teller as he looked deep into his crystal ball. His skin was an ashy gray, and his eyes were an intensely pale yellow. He looked more like a corpse, not alive at all. Perhaps that was what was giving me the case of the creeps.

"I see an impossible choice, and unbearable pain. You are going to kill someone, dear child, daughter of Earth. They are going to use you to advance their war and you will be unable to stop it." The fortune teller spoke in an eerie, ghostly tone and I genuinely recoiled in fear. What in the name of sanity was he saying? This couldn't be my fortune, my future. "There is a way to break free; he will need to forgive you. Be forgiven and you will be free. They will no longer have a hold over you. A riddle, daughter of Earth, a riddle I speak to you in hopes to save you from that which you cannot be saved. 'Beneath the streets of the city that never sleeps, answers lie undisturbed by time. Through the doors where the journey both ended and began lie the answers you seek to find. Beware the darkness, beware the light. Enemies will be both reborn and die this night. Go back to the beginning, fly forward to the end. Here is where you will seek and find an old friend. This friend with many secrets to keep also holds the answers you seek.'" I watched the fortune tellers eyes roll back into his skull and he moaned like he was fighting something inside of him. I wasted no time. I got up and ran as fast as I could away from him.

I managed to get halfway through the market, back towards the TARDIS I ran before I ran straight into the Doctor with a loud SMACK. He stumbled backwards managing to catch himself before he fell while I, ungraceful as always, landed with a THUD right on my bum.

"Oy Kayden! What did I tell you, what do I always tell you I say rule one: don't wander off. And what do you do? The complete opposite, you go and wander off." The Doctor chided me as he helped me to my feet. "Where have you been? I've been searching everywhere for you. Kayden? Are you alright, you look as if you've seen a ghost."

"I-I'm okay Doctor, honest. I guess I'm just still trying to take in my surroundings. It IS a bit much you know." I lied as best I could, struggling to control my breathing and my out of control heart. The Doctor gave me that questioning look he was so very good at but said nothing else. What on God's Earth could that crazy fortune teller have meant by that?

The memory faded away and I bolted to me feet, sending papers and books flying. Of course! It all meant sense to me now. The fortune teller, the riddle, everything he told me that day. How could I have forgotten? Oh wait, I DID forget, well up until now. I ran as fast as could out of the library and back to the console room where the Doctor and the Ponds were still gathered together, discussing where to go next. I heard Rory say that we should take a break from all this hunting and relax. That it would do us no good to run ourselves ragged searching constantly. He said we needed to step back for a bit then come back to our work with fresh eyes. I burst out of the corridor and onto the console platform panting for breath. The three of them looked at me like I had completely gone mad.

"Doctor!" I gasped and sunk down into the Captain's chair panting, "Do you, ah, do you remember the market when I wandered off and you thought I saw a ghost."

The Doctor pondered for a moment clearly remembering while Amy and Rory now looked at the two of us in confusion.

"I do," The Doctor replied, "What about it?"

"I saw a fortune teller that day Doctor. That's why I looked for scared. God it all makes sense now! He told me about the prophecy even though at that time I had absolutely no clue what he meant. He told me a riddle! I think, I think that riddle could be a clue as to where we need to go next!" I confessed at a million miles an hour. My god I sounded exactly like the Doctor.

"Kayden, slow down and take a breath. You are talking so fast I can barely understand you." The Doctor said as he came over and knelt down in front of me.

"Remind you of anyone?" I heard Amy mutter under her breath and Rory snicker.

"Oy you two!" The Doctor cried, "Be quiet and don't you start."

"The riddle Doctor!" I exclaimed cutting off their playful banter. "He said to me: 'Beneath the streets of the city that never sleeps, answers lie undisturbed by time. Through the doors where the journey both ended and began lie the answers you seek to find. Beware the darkness, beware the light. Enemies will be both reborn and die this night. Go back to the beginning, fly forward to the end. Here is where you will seek and find an old friend. This friend with many secrets to keep also holds the answers you seek.' If we crack this riddle then we'll know where to go!"

"A riddle huh, I was always great with riddles." The Doctor boasted and I watched as he went to work trying to solve it. He was concentrating so hard you could practically hear the wheels in his head turning. His brow furrowed in frustration and when he spoke again he was quite agitated. "I lied, I hate riddles. I was always rubbish with them. Give me Daleks or Cybermen any day. Riddles are rubbish."

The Doctor went on a brief tangent about riddles and Cybermen and attempted to make some sort of joke that by the sound of Amy and Rory's silence meant that he butchered it. I jumped to my feet in triumph not two seconds later, and when the Doctor asked if I thought his joke was funny Amy chided him saying he didn't know how to be funny.

"Doctor, I've figured it out. The riddle. Oh clever, clever me. I now know where we need to go."

The Doctor immediately went to work on the TARDIS console pushing buttons and flipping levers just waiting for me to tell him. Amy and Rory looked at me in anticipation and I could only grin at them.

"Pack your bags mates, we're going to New York!"
Sign up to rate and review this story