Categories > TV > Doctor Who > An Unexpected Journey

Kayden's Internal Struggle

by TheDoctorsTARDISXO 0 reviews

Grab the tissues folks, this one is quite the tearjerker. Kayden is fighting a losing battle with herself thanks to those Jardane. Can anyone save her, or are they too late? Is the Doctor really do...

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Sci-fi - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-08-13 - 3188 words

0Unrated
I wish I owned Doctor Who. Then I would give free TARDIS rides for EVERYONE!! The nice chaps in the expensive suits over at the BBC along with Steven Moffat and his button down shirts own Doctor Who though. ~XO TheDoctorsTARDISXO

I woke up in an eerily dark room with my head spinning and my eyes painfully sensitive, not wanting to adjust to even the tiniest sliver of light coming from the corner of the room. What the hell had just happened to me? I tried to get my bearings and to get my head to stop spinning, both of which were proving painful. It hurt to scarcely breathe, to twitch, and to damn well do anything. Something was different about me, I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was something that I needed to do. What was the last thing that I remember? The corridor, the wall slamming shut, then Rory and me got separated from Amy. Oh my god, Rory! They got Rory, I remember now. This means that they must have gotten me too. Which not meant that I would have to…..I couldn't even finish the thought. An intense wave of burning hatred swept through me as I even began to fathom HIS name. This meant that the prophecy was going to come true, and I, I WANTED it to happen.

"Kayden? Is that you? Are-are you awake?" I heard a voice weakly call out to me from the corner that the light was coming from. Rory.

"I'm alright Rory, I think. What about you? Did the Jardane do anything to you? Are you okay?"

"I believe so. Just got knocked around a bit, but I'm okay. We need to get out of here. I don't know how long we've got until those Jardane soldiers come back. We have to find the Doctor and Amy and save you before it's too late." I heard a scuffling sound coming from Rory's general direction as he got to his feet and made his way over to me, torch illuminating the ground in front of him. When he reached me I took his outstretched hand and he helped me to my feet.

Oh no, Rory had said his name. At that moment every fiber of my being was screaming out for me to kill him. God I had to kill that menacing Time Lord and restore balance back to the universe. Wait, no, no I couldn't kill him. What was I thinking? What had those damned aliens done to me?

"Rory," I croaked out, voice barely above a whisper, "please please promise me you won't say his name. The prophecy Rory. I have to kill him. My soul is burning with all the hatred in the entire cosmos towards him, just screaming at me to kill him!" I sobbed and wrapped my arms tightly around myself trying to hold on to whatever pieces of myself that I had left. "What is happening to me Rory? I can't stop myself from wanting to kill him. I have to do this, I have no choice."

Rory gripped me by my shoulders and shook me as hard as he could; trying to snap me out of whatever internal battle I was having with myself. "Of course you have a choice Kayden! We'll think of something and, and we'll save you. You just have to hold on. Keep fighting it for as long as you can."

At that moment, we both heard the locks coming from the door turning. Something or someone was making their way into our prison. I held my breath silently praying to God, Rassilon, Gallifrey, anyone out there that it was not the Doctor. I knew what was going to happen the moment I saw him. I'd have to kill him and there would be no way I could stop myself. Rory knew it too, for he tightened his grip on my shoulders as if he was going to try and hold me in place. Bless him for trying, but I don't think even he could stop me now. Light spilled into the room cutting through the darkness and momentarily blinding my still sensitive eyes. I blinked the hot burning tears away as they adjusted to who it was in the room with us now. Rory let out a sigh of relief when it turned out to not be the Doctor and Amy but the Jardane scientist from before instead. He was accompanied by three soldiers who stood a good two feet taller than him. Their skin was a darker green than the scientist's and their eyes a more intense orange color. Two of the soldiers pounded their way towards us and tore Rory's hands off of my shoulders and dragged him away from me.

"No don't hurt him! He hasn't done anything to you, let him go!" I pleaded trying to make sure that they wouldn't cause him any harm.

"Silence my pet." The lead scientist instructed and I suppressed a shudder as my body instantly obeyed. It was worse than Rory and I could have imagined. I was completely under their control. "We will have none of that now. The human will not be harmed so long as you obey me. Do we understand? Come now, answer me."

"Yes sir, understood." I blurted out before I could even stop myself.

"Very good. It seems that we won't be having any problems with you, dear pet. Now tell me, who are you and what is your purpose?"

"I am the Daughter of Earth, chosen to fulfill the prophecy born across the stars. I am the chosen one. My purpose is to kill the Doctor. He has made the universe unbalanced. He believes himself to be a false god and only his blood and his death will bring peace across the cosmos." I replied to the Jardane scientist, tears now freely falling down my cheeks. This was not who I was at all, why couldn't I stop myself from saying all of this?

"Kayden no, what are you saying? That's not who you are at all!" Rory interjected trying to get me to see reason and get me out of the Jardane's hold.

"Rory I am so sorry. I can't stop. I'm trying but I just can't stop." I sobbed clenching my fists as I tried to get out from under their control. Rory struggled against the two soldiers holding him back but couldn't break free.

"SILENCE!" The Jardane scientist thundered and I swear to you the entire room shook. "That is enough of that sniveling." He took several steps closer to me and rested his scaly green hands on either one of my shoulders. When he spoke next, his voice was softer, "You have been chosen for the good of the universe. The Doctor MUST die or the entirety of the cosmos will plunge into never-ending darkness. He will bring our downfall and destruction and must be stopped at all costs." The Jardane turned to the last remaining soldier and motioned for him to approach us. He held out a gun of some sort and placed it in my hand. He bowed once to me before returning to his post by the door. "This gun that we present to you holds two shots of the most powerful plasma particles harvested from the remaining Time Lord DNA we extracted. That is all you will need. The first shot will cause the Doctor to go into his regenerative cycle, and the second shot will stop him before he has a chance to regenerate. Do you understand?"

I nodded my understanding, too distraught to say anything. There was a war raging deep inside of me right now. There was the part of me who knew what she had to do, kill the Doctor to save the universe. That part of me would relish in the death of the Time Lord and would enjoy watching the blood spill from his broken body. Then there was the part of me who knew that this was wrong. The part of me that loved the Doctor with everything I had to give and more. The part of me that would rather sacrifice herself before she saw any harm come to him. This was a battle that only one part of me could win, and I honestly didn't know which side of me was stronger.

"Come, the time approaches. We must get ready for the prophecy to reach fruition. Bring the human. Our pet seems to care for him. We can use him as leverage if she tries to fight her destiny." The Jardane scientist stepped aside allowing me to lead the way. I shot one pleading look at Rory begging him to forgive me. I caught the minutest nod of his head. He trusted me, trusted the Doctor to save us before it was too late. I just prayed that he was right.

We made our way through the corridors of the facility, my instincts suddenly sharper leading us straight to the Doctor and Amy as well. It didn't take long to find them. They were running as fast as they could trying to find Rory and I, trying to save us, but it was we that found them first. The two of them skidded to a halt and I could tell by the looks on their faces that they knew the Jardane had won.

"Oh my god. Doctor, Doctor we're too late." I heard Amy whisper to the Doctor and again at the mention of his name an intense feeling of hatred washed over me. It took all my willpower to clamp it down and not shoot him on the spot. "Oh Kayden, what have they done to you? Rory, where's Rory?"

"It's okay Amy, I'm here I'm fine." Rory called out to his wife from between the two Jardane soldiers that held him in a vice grip between them. Amy let out a brief sigh of relief to see that he husband was not hurt or worse, dead.

I watched the Doctor intently torn between killing him and saving him. He pulled his sonic screwdriver out of his jacket pocket and held it tightly in his hand. He stared at me hard, his face set in stone and only his eyes betraying his true feelings. It was all there, written in the Time Lord's ancient eyes. Relief that I was still alive, along with Rory. Hatred of the Jardane for what they have done to me, both four years ago and right at this moment. Hatred towards himself as well for not being able to protect me from his enemies. Fear that he was going to lose me and once again be the last of his kind after fighting so hard to make things right between us. He was torn between doing what was right, and what was expected of him. He knew that he was expected to die for the greater good of the universe, all because the Jardane felt threatened by him and felt the need to eliminate him. He also knew that the right thing to do was to let me kill him. He knew that if he did in fact die, then I would be finally free of the Jardane's grip over me and able to live on not in hiding or in fear. He was as much at war with himself as I was at war with myself.

"Time Lord," The Jardane snarled and glared at the Doctor, "It is time for you to die. We cannot allow you to continue living for you will bring the entire universe to its demise. You have failed in protecting your precious companion and she has once again fallen into our hands. It is all but complete now, you cannot save her. She is fully under our control. You precious companion, no wait, she is more than that to you, is she not?" The Jardane was taunting the Doctor now, and it was working. The Doctor clenched his jaw and swung his gaze over to the Jardane now. "She isn't just a companion to you anymore is she Time Lord? You've fallen in love with her. I can see it in your eyes. Killed by the hand of that someone that you love and cherish above all else. It's such a pity that you are so weak. You should have left her with us all those nights ago. You would have saved yourself from the heartbreak that you undoubtedly feel once she pulls that trigger."

"Enough!" The Doctor bit out that one single word with enough venom and bite to make the temperature feel like it dropped twenty degrees and your hair stand on end, "You've taken away what I hold most dear to me and you hurt her. You groomed her into this weapon to use against me because you are too weak to face me yourself. You have treated my friends wrongly and I do not take kindly to that. You think you are this high and mighty race and that you get to decide who in the universe can live or die. Well you are wrong, and I will stop you and save Kayden if it is the last thing I do."

The Jardane let out a bark of laughter like he enjoyed the Doctor trying to stop them with his words. To them, the Doctor's words held no meaning. To them it was the same as the incoherent ramblings of a dead man. I wasn't faring so well about now. The longer I stood there in the Doctor's presence, the more I was losing the battle with myself. All I could think of now was his death. All I could picture was myself standing over his body watching the life slowly drain out of him. The Jardane had to have known this too for he took step back leaving me face to face with the Doctor now. Rory struggled against the two soldiers holding him back, and the third was quick to swoop in and snatch up Amy as she went to take the gun away from me.

"Let me go!" Amy cried out and the Jardane soldier dragged her backwards along with Rory putting quite a bit of distance between them and us. "Doctor! Doctor help us! You have to stop this Doctor! You can't let Kayden kill you! Or else everything that you have worked so hard to do and achieve will be for nothing. Listen to me Doctor you have to do something."

"Be quiet human," The Jardane soldier spat at Amy and clamped his hand over her mouth to silence her, "there is nothing that can be done now."

The Doctor made a move to get around me and rescue Amy and Rory, but I matched him step for step and held the gun up now level with his face. A tic worked his jaw as he stumbled back slightly and held his screwdriver out pointing it at me. You could feel the tension between the two of us, could hear it crackling as one waited for the other to make any sudden movements. This was a dangerous dance the Doctor and I were doing, and one way of another one of us was going to die. It was all going according to the Jardane's plans. To finally annihilate the last remaining Time Lord and wipe out that race for good. Even to this day, millennium after millennium since the Time War had passed, many races still lived in fear of the Time Lords. The Jardane was just another one of those races.

"Don't move Time Lord. Move again and I will shoot you, and frankly I would very much enjoy that." I threatened the Doctor, my voice not at all my own. I was starting to lose the battle within my own mind now.

"Kayden no. What have they done to you?" The Doctor whispered his eyes imploring me to tell him that I was still in there somewhere.

"What needed to be done. You need to die, Time Lord. It's the only way the save the universe from certain destruction under your tyranny."

"My tyranny? Kayden listen to me. I know that you're in there somewhere. Come back to me my brilliant girl. Listen to yourself. You know me better than this, better than whatever poison they have filled your head with. This isn't you. I need you to fight them and stay with me. Please Kayden, stay with me." The Doctor pleaded with me and my hand quivered slightly as I again fought with myself for control. I felt like there was a switch inside of my mind that someone kept flipping between one personality and the next, between one power struggle and the other, between light and dark. My love for the Doctor and my hatred of him were at war and I knew the outcome would be gruesome no matter what. It was either going to be my heart that got broken, or my mind that was devoured by so much hatred. I shuddered at the thought of which it would be.

"Doctor I am so sorry. I can't fight them. I'm trying so hard but I just can't do it, they're too strong. Just run, please. Take Amy and Rory and get out of here. Please for me, Doctor. You have to live. Run and live and save worlds like you're supposed to do. Just run and remember me." I fought back a fresh wave of tears that threatened to fall. My grip tightened on the gun as I once again began to lose control of myself. My darker side was trying to take over again, and she was winning this time. No matter how hard I fought to stay with the Doctor I just couldn't, "Please Doctor, RUN!"

"No Kayden, I am not running. If killing me is the only way that I can save you, then so be it." The Doctor lowered his arm holding the sonic screwdriver and I watched in both horror and intense pleasure and he dropped it to the floor. It landed with a loud clack and rolled away from him slightly. He then proceeded to bow his head and thrust his arms out wide, a sign that he was surrendering to whatever it was that came next. "Just know that whatever happens now Kayden, I forgive you. You always are and forever will be forgiven. And I love you. Remember that as well my brilliant girl; remember that always as I know you will forever love me. When this is over go back to the TARDIS, take Amy and Rory home and live a good life for me Kayden. That's all I ask of you. Live a good life and watch out for my dear Ponds. Keep them out of trouble." He lifted his head and gave me his trademark mad man grin before saying just one word, "Geronimo."

And with that silence followed until nothing was heard except the sound of a gun being shot.
Sign up to rate and review this story