Categories > Original > Romance > Kiss Me

Of your brother?

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

Chapter 17 - Of your brother?

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2013-10-08 - 3461 words

1Ambiance
I’m ready. I feel so pretty. My hair done, makeup perfect, cute dress with matching shoes. I smile at my reflection in the full length mirror. I look so different. But in a good way. I hope. I take a deep breath and head to the stairs. I just come down as fast as possible to make sure I don’t have one of those movie moments. You know, the ones where the girl comes slowly down the stairs and everyone stops to look at her, and everything’s in slow motion. Thankfully, I don’t have one of those episodes and make it down to the living room in one piece.

I’m looking for Hayden when I hear a squeal. It’s Lauren. “Oh my gosh! You look so pretty!” She beams at me.

“And you too!” I admire her maroon bubble dress with a jewels flowing across her body.

“Why thank you.” She grins. I giggle. We gush over each other when I hear Hayden’s voice among the chatter. I look around and see him in the kitchen chatting with Austin and some of his cousins. He glances my way, but then does a double take. He eyes me and gives me a head to toe scan. His eyes wide. And slowly, a proud grin spreads across his face. Never seen that one before, but I just blush in return. He says something to the group of boys and heads my way. Lauren has already left by the time Hayden stops in front of me.

I look up at him. He’s looking down on me. “You look…” He can’t find words. A speechless Hayden. I like it. I just bite my lip. “I can’t wait to take you to prom.” He chuckles. I blush again. “C’mon. Let’s get some good seats.” He takes my hand and we weave through the crowd of his family. It seems I’m the only Mexican here. There are lots of white people. It kind of makes me uncomfortable. They’re all light hair and light skin. I’m over here with ebony hair and brown skin. I just bite my lip again as Hayden finds us aisle seats only a few rows back. He lets me take the outside seat so I’ll be able to see. A sweet gesture.

Soon enough, Austin and Lauren come to sit next to us. We chat for a while and wait until everyone gets in their seats. Then the music starts to play. We all rise and watch as the bride makes her way down to meet her love to exchange promises and a kiss at the end. I watch with intent and emotion. I don’t cry. Although I wanted to. But then I’d have to redo my makeup.

Finally, we get to the party part of the wedding. Hayden, Austin, Lauren, Darla, Susan, and I take a table and eat. All chatting and joking amongst ourselves. Once done eating the band begins to play. And I want to dance so bad! But I get the feeling that Hayden doesn’t want to. I sit next to him and pick at my nails. Lauren and Austin are dancing! Even Darla’s dancing!

“Hayden, take this gorgeous girl for a spin!” Susan smacks his arm. I just giggle.

“Not now, Grandma.” He mutters.

“Why not? She can’t just sit here and look pretty for you.” And with that scolding she leaves. I just glance at Hayden and he looks guilty. I just frown and go back to picking my nails and playing with my hair.


The bride and groom have already done their couples dance and cut the cake. The father-daughter dance just passed, and still, I’m sitting here. Being bored. What a waste of dress. I frown. Just then I feel someone beside me. It’s Austin.

“Would you like to dance?” He smiles down at me.

“Sure.” I take his hand. Lauren’s clapping as Austin leads me out to the dance floor and he encircles an arm around my waist. I place my hand on his shoulder lightly and we take each other’s hand. A soft melody playing in the background. Austin leads us and we sway to the rhythm.

“It’s a shame Hayden hasn’t danced with you yet. You look so nice tonight and he doesn’t even want to show it to everyone.” Austin says.

“I know. But I know he doesn’t dance either, so I can’t hold anything against him.” I shrug.

“He could at least try. He’s such a stiff sometimes.” Austin’s comment makes me laugh.

“Well, thank you for the rescue.” I say to Austin as the song ends and we go back to the table. But Hayden’s not there. “Where’s Hayden?” I ask Lauren.

“I think he went inside.” She says. I nod and go in. I start in the kitchen, then move to the living room. But I don’t see him. I sneak a peek out the window and there he is. Smoking. I just go out and stand near him.

“Hey.” I say.

“Hey.” He takes a drag and blows the smoke out into the air. I just furrow my brows in disgust.

“Why are you smoking?” I ask. He’s never smoked around me before.

“It’s just a stress reliever.” He shrugs and takes another drag. “And I couldn’t watch you and Austin have such a good time together.” He flicks off the ashes onto the ground. He seems very handy with that cigarette. I wonder how much he smokes. Damn. I’ve been kissing an ashtray.

“We were just dancing and talking.” I can’t believe he’s jealous of Austin. He is so not my type!

“Seemed like you two were more than talking.” He stomps out his finished cigarette.

“Really?” He’s accusing me of flirting with Austin? “He made a joke, Hayden.” I frown. “I would never be interested in Austin. Your brother of all people.” I argue. But when Hayden doesn’t say anything I just huff away.

I’m barely entering the living room when I feel a cold hand catch my arm. I look back and see Hayden. “What?” I snatch my arm from his grasp.

“Sky, I’m sorry.” Hayden sighs. “I guess I’m just a little jealous.”

“Of your brother?” I ask in disbelief. “He’s already has a girlfriend. And I have a boyfriend.” I say softly.

“I know that.” He looks down and takes my hand in his. “And I also know that you love me. I was just embarrassed that I can’t dance.”

“I’ll teach you.” I smile. I take his hands and put them on my hips. I scoot closer to his body and wrap my arms around his neck. I smile at him and he blushes. A rare sight. I lead him to sway to the music that is coming in from the backyard.

"And I'm sorry. For saying yes to Austin without asking you first." I say.

"It's okay. I'm just glad I was the last person you came to in the end." He smiles.

Once Hayden gets into the swing of things I feel him start to lead me and tighten his hold on me. He grins down at me and from the dazed eyes he’s giving me I feel butterflies and I’m breathless. “I love you.” I kiss him. He just kisses me back and my fingers find their way into his hair like they always do. I feel his hand come up to cup my cheek. We get lost in the moment and my mind starts to wonder on the future. The future Hayden and I could potentially have. We could get married and start a family. Have a quaint little house with a big backyard and enough space to raise kids.


We go back to party and mingle. We’re in the middle of chatting with his cousins when “Come Away with Me” by Norah Jones starts to play. My ears perk up and I look over at Hayden, wishing he’d ask me to dance, but he’s busy laughing. I just frown and go back to listening to the convo. “Hey.” I hear someone whisper in my ear. Heat coming from behind me. Hands on my hips. Breath on my neck. Hayden. “Come dance with me?” He asks as he slowly pulls me back as he steps back. I smile and nod. He takes my hand and leads me to the dance floor. He pulls me close and we dance.

I lay my head on his shoulder and I feel his cheek rest on the top of my head after he plants a kiss on my hair. I smile and we are lost in each other.

Soon enough, it gets late and Austin, Lauren, Hayden and I have to head back to Vancouver. We say our goodbye and Susan gives me her cell phone number. “Call if you need anything, dear.” She squeezes my hand. “Or if you just wanna visit.” She smiles.

“Will do, Susan.” I kiss her cheek, like I do my grandma, before I go.


I get home at ten. Hayden walks me to the door and kisses me goodbye. I get in and shower quickly. I’m getting cozy in my bed when Elio comes in uninvited and unwanted. “You’re back!” He beams.

“Yeah, and?” I mumble against my pillow.

“I missed you.” He pouts.

“Are you high?” I furrow my brows.

“No.” He eyes me suspiciously. “Are you?”

“Nope. Just tired.” I yawn.

“Oh, well, I just missed you. You being gone made me realize how many friends I don’t have.” He chuckles and sits on my bed. I giggle. “And that you’re the only real person I hang out with outside of school.”

“I know. You’re a loser.” I smile. He just picks at my blanket. “What’s wrong?” I ask.

“I just think that all you do now is hang out with Hayden.” He frowns. Oh gosh. Elio. I’m such a shitty sister.

“Elio, I’m so sorry.” I sit up and place my hand over his.

“It’s okay. I mean, you guys are in love and all. I see that. But I wanna be a part of your life too.” He looks at me with misty eyes. I gasp. Elio never cries. He must be really hurt. His words hit home and I start to tear up.

“You are. You’re my brother. I love you.” I try to smile. “Okay then, tomorrow, we’ll go out to get lunch. Just me and you.” I smile. He smirks. “Yeah?” He nods.

“Yeah, that’d be cool.” He grins.

“Okay, then.” I smile and kiss his forehead. “Good night.”

“Good night, hermanita.” He kisses my head in return and leaves. I fall asleep with a smile.


In the morning I get ready for the day. Elio and I head out to school and we part ways for class. Tutorial rolls around and I wait for Elio at the Thunder bench. I sit on the cool metal. I’m thinking about where we could go for lunch. Taco Bell? Nah. McDonalds? Nope. I’m going through our options when my phone vibrates. A text from Hayden.

Babe, where r u?

The Thunder bench I reply.

Soon enough, Hayden emerges from the shop and walks over to me with a confused look on his face. “What are you doing out here?” He takes a seat next to me.

“Elio told me last night that I’ve been a bad sister.” I smile. “He just thinks all I do is hang out with you now. And I kinda do.” I say. “And he’s a little hurt I don’t hang out with him anymore.” I frown. The guilt coming back. “So I told him we could get lunch together today.”

“Damn. I never meant to hurt Elio’s feelings.” Hayden frowns this time.

“I know you didn’t. I didn’t either.” I say. “So, you can’t come with us. For once.” I smile. “But I will be back.” I kiss him.

“Alright. Go do some sibling bonding.” He smiles.

“I will.” I push him playfully. Just then Elio comes up to us.

“Hey, man.” Hayden greets him warmly. “Dude, I’m sorry. I didn’t know it bothered you that much that me and Sky were hanging out more. I mean, if you would’ve come up to me and told me, damn, I woulda stopped coming by so much.”

“Well, I only just realized this last night when she came home.” Elio says.

“Well, either way, Sky is yours for the day.” Hayden smiles. I just giggle at his little rhyme. “I’ll see you later, baby.” He kisses me and leaves.

“Bye!” I wave at him before he gets back into the shop.


It’s been four months. Four months since Hayden and I started dating. I keep track but we aren’t into those month-a-versaries. Which is good. I don’t want to have to get a gift for him every month just because we made it through another month together. I mean, I know he loves me and he shows me every day. That’s all I could ever wish for.

It’s Friday and Elio’s birthday. He’s turning 19. He gets balloons and gifts from friends at school. But I’m waiting till tonight to give him the gift I got him. It’s awesome! I know he’ll love it. Hayden even got him a present. Some dumb soccer video game. So dumb!

Anyway, my family is all coming over to celebrate Elio’s birthday. Elio invited some friends, and so did I. Hayden and Adelia. Austin and Lauren are going on a date night. Which I don’t mind. They don’t really know Elio like that anyway.

It’s five in the afternoon and Hayden is helping set up some decorations in the living room while I make Elio his favorite cake. German chocolate. I frost it nicely and write ‘Happy Birthday, Elio’ on it with white icing. Once done I put it in the fridge. Adelia finally gets here with the soda and chips. “Where do you want me to put these?” She asks.

“In the fridge downstairs. We already have some up here. Just leave the chips on the table.” I say. She nods and goes to the garage. I grab the chips and put them away since we already have tortilla chips and salsa set out.

“Done.” Hayden smiles. I go out and inspect his handy work. Balloons and streamers set out. A Happy Birthday banner hung above the sliding glass door.

“Nice.” I smile. “Who knew you’d be useful for something?” I joke. He just chuckles and playfully punches my arm softly. Just then, my tia (aunt) and her kids pile through the door. After that our house fills up quickly. I kiss each one of them and introduce them to Hayden. They give him hugs and kisses and comment on his ears. I roll my eyes every time they say something and take his hand for reassurance.

Elio gets home from practice and he’s mauled at the door by everyone. He finally gets through to me. “Happy Birthday, Sunshine.” I embrace him warmly and kiss his cheek.

“Thanks, hermanita.” He beams.

“Happy Birthday, bro.” Hayden gives him a man hug.

“Thanks, man. And thanks for coming.” Elio says. “Now, I’m going to shower. I’m all sticky.” I just grimace and push him towards the bathroom. He laughs and disappears. I lead Hayden to the couch and we sit to watch the soccer game my dad has recording.

“So,” My cousin, Sapo (frog; it’s a nickname), starts. “What made you decide to date Cielo over here? I mean, she’s a handful.” He sips his beer. I roll my eyes.

“Sapo, shut up. Just mind your own business.” I snap. “Metiche.” Brownnoser.

“No, it’s okay, Cielo.” Hayden says. I just glance up at him nervously, but let him talk. “Well, at first I didn’t even think she’d date me. I’m dumb, skinny, and white.” He jokes. “But I just found her quick remarks and strong personal opinions to be cute. At least she can think for herself.” Hayden smiles.

“Whatever floats your boat, man.” Sapo makes a freaked face. I narrow my glare at him.

“Well, at least I got a girl.” Hayden says and puts an arm around me. I just press my lips together trying not to laugh.

“Dude, I got girls.” Sapo says.

“Your hands don't count.” Hayden remarks. I giggle. Sapo just throws him an angry glance, but says nothing.

“Damn. You got Sapo to shut the fuck up. For once.” Another older cousin of mine, Salvador, smiles at Hayden. Now this is one of my better family members. “You deserve a beer.” He hands Hayden one. But before taking it he looks at me for permission. I just nod and he takes the cold can of Tecate. “So, what’s your name again?”

“Hayden.”

“Nice to meet you, Hayden.” Salvador extends a firm hand to shake.

“You too…?”

“Salvador.”

“Salvador.” Hayden smiles.

“I’m gonna apologize for dick head over here. He thinks he knows it all.” Salvador jerks his thumb at Sapo. He then smacks him on the back of the head. “Go help Tia Magi with the carne. Andale.” Sapo just goes with a hurt ego as Salvador takes his seat. “So, Hayden, what do you do?” My cousin asks as he sips at his beer and watches the game.

“I go to school with Sky. And I just got a job at a landscaping company. Just for the meantime. Sky needs to eat and go shopping.” Hayden chuckles.

“I like that. A real working man. Already providing for my prima.” Salvador tips his beer to us. “You picked a good one, Cielo.” Salvador smiles at me.

“I know.” I bite my lip.

“So, you’re gonna graduate with Cielo?”

“Hopefully. I’m not good with school shit. But she’s been tutoring me. Getting me by.” Hayden nods and cracks open his can of beer.

“Yup. Cielo’s the smart one in this family. Got some real talent with a pencil too.” Salvador comments.

“I know. I’ve got a few of her pieces hanging in my room.” Hayden smiles and takes a sip of Tecate. He makes a delighted face at the smooth taste.

“Really?” Salvador cocks an eyebrow at me.

“Yeah. She drew me some stuff. I just thought I’d make my room look good and put ‘em up.” I blush. I didn’t even know.

“Nice. So, how long have you guys been dating?” Oh gosh! I hope he remembers.

“It’s four months today.” I just blush again. He remembered!

“Okay, I like this kid.” Salvador grins at me. “Welcome to the family, bro.” He slaps Hayden’s hand and fist bumps. “C’mon. I’ll take you to the Tio’s.” Salvador stands. Oh shit. I look at my cousin with worry. “No le hacen nada, Cielo.” He reassures me. But I’m still nervous.

“Seguro?” I ask and stand, Hayden following.

“Te lo juro.” He smiles. I give him a warning look.

“Okay.” I nod. I take Hayden’s hand and follow Salvador to the back porch where my Tios’, Dad, and Grandpa are grilling up some carne asada and ribs. “Okay, here are the rules. No tequila, no getting him drunk, and no fighting.” I tell them as I feed Hayden to the sharks.

“Ahh! We won’t do anything to him!” My dad waves me away. I point my finger at him. “Tell Elio we want him out here.” He says. I just leave and bump into Elio in the hall. “Hey, Dad wants you outside.” I nod.

“Okay.” He towel dries his hair.

“Will you watch Hayden for me? It’s not that I don’t trust him, but Tio Juan is a douche. You know that. And I know they’ll pressure him to drink. I don’t want a drunk boyfriend.” I sigh in concern.

“Okay, I will. Don’t worry. Tio is all talk. He won’t do shit. And if he does, we’ll take care of him.” Elio smiles. I just nod as he hands me his dirty towel and brushes passed me towards the back porch.
Sign up to rate and review this story