Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Michiyuki

Chapter 12- What Lies Underneath the Mask

by tiny14xx 0 reviews

Kakashi dwells on his guilt before running into Naruto and Sasuke.

Category: Naruto - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Characters: Kakashi,Sasuke,Naruto - Published: 2013-11-13 - 905 words

0Unrated
((It might just be me....but I feel like my chapters having been getting shorter...I need to find a way to work on that...Anyways, thank you to all of those who are reading my fanfic. It isn't that great I know but still, it is nice to see that I have almost 200 viewers already. I really hope to get some good feedback so if you don't mind, review it, tell me what you think...just try to be nice about it. I will not accept or read any rude comments towards it. I can take the critism and advice, but I will not tolerate comments that are just downright rude. Anyways, enjoy chapter 12! ^/_\^))

She was alive, yet Kakashi could still feel the weight of guilt in his chest as he walked throughout the village with his hands stuffed into his pockets. She was alive, but was she really living? The cold and dead look in her eyes told him that she didn’t. He had not only failed to protect her, but to provide her with the happiness she needed. Was Munenori cursing him wherever he was now?
“Im sorry…” A soft sigh escaped Kakashi as he looked up at the darkening sky. He had said it to himself countless times but it still didn’t make a difference…this guilt would never go away, not while she continued to shame her family’s name.

[flashback]
“Hey Kakashi?”
“Hmm?” The young man looks over to the girl with scarlet tips, her short hair catching on the wind.
“Do you think he is happy where he is? Munenori I mean…”The question wasn’t exactly a surprise to the other since Akira had been spending most of her time reading either her brother’s letter or her sister’s diary so he pretty much already thought up an answer for her.
“I am sure they both are happy and watching over you and your journey.” She turns to the other before smiling sadly.
“I hope so…I want to make them proud of me…I want to become the best kunoichi they have ever seen! I know…I know I can make them proud of me.”Kakashi rests his hand on hers with a supportive smile hidden under his mask.
“I have faith that you can do it Akira.”

[End of Flashback]

He missed those days, missed her adorable smiles and her optimistic personality that pushed her through everything she was struggling with. He had watched her do her best and had become proud of her achievements and so involved with her life that he found himself forgetting his own mistakes, his own misery. He would lie in bed and think of how well she was going to do the next day as he stared at the crystal, his past not once on his mind. Now…all he can do is bury himself in his guilt and his fresh mistakes as he thought about the new Akira and the pain she was possibly causing others. He would for once hope for her to fail and only felt the guilt worsen by the thought, feeling as though he was betraying his friend somehow. Would he ever get a break? Would he ever have a day where he didn’t feel guilt or pain because of his past and his failure to protect those he cares for?
“Kakashi-sensei?” He almost didn’t hear the small blonde as he passed him and Sasuke, his eyes still down on the ground.
“Kakashi!” Turning to the two boys, Kakashi snapped out of his thoughts, rubbing the back of his neck as he gave an awkward chuckle.
“Oh sorry…were you talking to me? I was kind of distracted…” He noticed Naruto making a face before he watched the two converse quietly.
“Oi, don’t call for someone if you are just going to whisper to someone else Naruto.”
“S-Sorry…Kakashi-sensei…..are you okay? You seem depressed…” Kakashi dropped his hand with a small nod, doing his best to act as he normally did. Had he been that transparent all this time?
“I am fine; I have just been in deep thought…”
“That must have been some serious thinking if you were able to completely ignore the loudest ninja in the village.”
“Hey!”
“Point proven…” Naruto crosses his arms with his usual pout as Sasuke eyed Kakashi suspiciously. He sometimes hated the fact that the child was so observant; it made hiding things a little difficult sometimes.
“Well, it is an important matter so it needs some serious thought in order to judge whether or not I am looking at it correctly. It would be troublesome if I misinterpreted the situation…”
“Uh-huh…I see… well, we shall leave it to you then sensei.”
“Huh? Why can’t we go with Kakashi-sensei?” Sasuke sighs before pulling out his wallet and looking inside, shoving it into his pocket shortly after.
“I want to go to Ichiraku’s…if you want free ramen then come with me.” Kakashi watched as Naruto’s face lit up and he already began to sprint to the noodle bar he frequently visited.
“Kakashi-sensei…whatever it is that is bothering you…make sure to deal with it soon, we can’t have you distracted like this during missions.” With that, the raven-haired male turned and slowly walked in the direction Naruto went.
“If only it were that easy…”
Sign up to rate and review this story